Happy New Year and NEWS!
It should come at no surprise that we would bring some changes to The Hatchet. We love the evolving nature of web and magazine design and have a long history of adjusting the company’s business model to suit the times. We are nothing if not flexible.
We need to start with an apology, however. A BIG apology. We became sidetracked in 2011. We admit it. I, the editor of The Hatchet, thought that we could publish four issues of the journal plus two of the Literary Hatchet, all while spending 60-80 hours a week running for Mayor of Fall River! (I can hear you groaning at my foolishness.)
Well, I tried. And while I did not succeed at either—the run for mayor or the publication schedule—it was an amazing adventure and well worth the time and effort. But a new year means a new beginning—an opportunity to make adjustments, organize for the future, and focus on the tasks at hand.
After long and careful consideration, we at The Hatchet have made a number of refinements. Some are cosmetic (the websites for LizzieAndrewBorden.com, MondoLizzie.com, PearTree-Press.com, and HatchetOnline.com), some are behind the scenes, and some are all about business. To this end, let us share with you the following transformation.
- We are eliminating the subscription option when ordering the journal.
Those of you who had paid for a subscription for 2010-2011 will receive the next three issues of The Hatchet at no cost in order to complete your subscription package. You will each be emailed information about obtaining your free copies as they are published.
If you are new to The Hatchet or would like to purchase past or current issues, there are two ways going forward to own this great magazine.
- You can return to this website to purchase and download the PDF electronic version, or
- You can buy the print copies through our print-on-demand partners (links are provided in the store)
The prices of the single issue downloads are very reasonable, running from a sale price of $5 per issue for year one of the journal, to $12 each for the most recent issues. If you have any questions, please use our contact form.
We will continue the following traditions:
- Offering issues of the Literary Hatchet at no cost for the download PDF version and a minimal cost for print issues
- Paying our authors for their contributions to both magazines
- Providing interesting and compelling writing, fully vetted for factual accuracy
- Accepting submissions for both fiction and non-fiction
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life’s passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!