New Lizzie non-fiction book

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

New Lizzie non-fiction book

Post by augusta »

Hello! :smiliecolors:

I'd like to tell you all that my non-fiction Lizzie book has just been published! It is called "Lizzie Borden: Resurrections", a history of the people surrounding the Borden case before, during and after the trial by me (Sherry Chapman). It was 10 years in the making. It can be read just for enjoyment and can also be used as a reference book.

I was graciously invited to do a book signing at the Fall River Historical Society on Sunday, August 3 from noon - 3 pm.

Of course it's published by PearTree Press. I did not even consider submitting it to any other publisher.

The book runs 370 pages. It is available at Amazon.com at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... urrections

There you can see the cover, read the back with a description of the book, read the acknowledgements, read the entire intro which tells how the book came to be, and read the first eight pages of the text. (If you can't see the first part of the text, click on "Surprise Me".)

It is also available Online at the Barnes and Noble website, along with several sellers who sell through Amazon.

It is loaded with photos, many never before published. If you get the book, I hope that you enjoy it.
debbiediablo

Re: New Lizzie non-fiction book

Post by debbiediablo »

Congratulations!
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thank you, Debbiediablo. :smile:
irina

Post by irina »

Congratulations and best wishes for strong demand for your book.

Through various forums, etc. I have "met" various authors and I always like to buy their books but I do not buy online. A couple months ago I got a friend to purchase a number books for me online but I got the idea I had asked my friend too big a favour. ANYWAY my point is, is your book available somewhere I can CALL on the telephone, and use a credit card? I have no books stores readily available to me and I very much fear buying on line.
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thank you, Irena. :smile:

Yes, you can order one by telephone at the Fall River Historical Society at: (508) 679 - 1071. When they go through their list of which person you want to talk to, select "gift shop". But they may not start selling theirs before August 3rd. If you are a member of the historical society, members get first crack at their new book sales. A good thing about buying from them is you may get a book that's signed for no additional cost.
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

How exciting, augusta, and congratulations! I will certainly be ordering a copy. I hope you will post on the Forum from time to time on threads that are of particular interest to you!
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Please don't be nervous about ordering books online, irina, especially with the larger sites. I have used Amazon/Abebooks and Book Depository for years and have never had a problem (unless you count the high shipping charges for Australia!)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Welcome back and CONGRATULATIONS, Sherry! :grin: I am so excited for you. I just ordered a copy of your book from Amazon.com. I am looking forward to reading it.

I also hope you will post on the Forum from time to time; you have been missed!
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
irina

Post by irina »

Thank you so much Sherry/Augusta! My big fear of online ordering is giving a delivery address. In my other online life I'm a political writer. I'm sure the government knows who and where I am but I don't want some low-level idiot hacking MY system. I mentioned on another thread that I have had my throat cut literally, over small town politics. That was before I wrote about my experiences; in fact I'm working on a story in that area of the northwest right now. I'm alive and OK because a meth addict was hired for the job and he either forgot his knife, forgot to sharpen it or used a dull screw driver or something similar. A few years after that when I finally got internet capabilities, Twitter told me my last name was too long and all they'd accept was a couple of my middle names so I'm a bit anonymous for now.

I will check with the FRHS after August 3. Maybe I'll join. I get a lot of enjoyment from the whole subject matter and what the FRHS has done.

Thanks again and very best wishes on the book sales. (BTW, if you want to push the book on Twitter I'll be happy to help.)
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Irina, I am so sorry to hear about your experience; I can certainly understand why you prefer not to order online. I'm sure the Fall River Historical Society would be glad to help you obtain a copy of Sherry's book. Their phone number is: 508-679-1071.

Here is a link to their contact information page: http://www.lizzieborden.org/ContactUs.html
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
augusta

Post by augusta »

Hello, twinsrwe!! :cheers: I have missed you! And many others, especially back when Kat and Harry and Bill Ulrich, Glen Carlson, and other friends were on here. Everybody was really great, respectful, kind and it was always a pleasure to take part in this. Hopefully I'll run into some more old pals and meet some new ones. Thanks for buying the book! It was a labor of love. I learned so much doing the book and being able to share it with other Bordenites or maybe turn someone new onto Lizzie is exciting. Things are moving very fast right now. I heard from one descendant of someone who is in the book today, and she was almost done reading it. She was very thrilled with it - not just the part about her family but the book in general. This is the first feedback I've gotten from a reader, and coming from her just set my adrenaline soaring! She's getting several more for family members.

Thank you, Curryong. :smile:

I'm very sorry that happened to you, Irena. I wish things like that never happened to anybody. I hope that you had some healing over it.

Oh, yes, Irena! You can push the book all you want on Twitter. Thank you!
Franz

Post by Franz »

Congratulations augusta! and welcome back! What a great news!

I love the title of the book and I wish your book signing be a big success!
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thank you, Franz! That's very nice to hear. :smile:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

augusta wrote:Hello, twinsrwe!! :cheers: I have missed you! And many others, especially back when Kat and Harry and Bill Ulrich, Glen Carlson, and other friends were on here. Everybody was really great, respectful, kind and it was always a pleasure to take part in this. Hopefully I'll run into some more old pals and meet some new ones. Thanks for buying the book! It was a labor of love. I learned so much doing the book and being able to share it with other Bordenites or maybe turn someone new onto Lizzie is exciting. Things are moving very fast right now. I heard from one descendant of someone who is in the book today, and she was almost done reading it. She was very thrilled with it - not just the part about her family but the book in general. This is the first feedback I've gotten from a reader, and coming from her just set my adrenaline soaring! She's getting several more for family members. ...
Hi augusta! I missed you too! I can't tell you how glad I am that you are back. :grin: I also miss all of the members who have left the forum, stopped posting, or who have passed away. However, we have their input forever, in the threads of this forum, and we can go through the topics at any time and have wonderful nostalgic memories of the past. I know you will find our newer members just as exciting as our previous members. They really are a wonderful group of people. I think you will enjoy interacting with them.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I am so excited! :bounce: My book arrived today!!! :cheers:

Sherry, your book is a lot more than I expected!!! I skimmed through it, and found a couple of things which caught my attention. I can't wait to read it, in it's entirety! :bounce:
Last edited by twinsrwe on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

I have to wait until 'Lizzie Borden:Resurrections' which I ordered on the same day as you, twinsrwe, gets to Australia (sob!)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I hope you don't have to wait much longer, Curryong. I'm sure you will not be disappointed once you get it!
augusta

Post by augusta »

Hello from Fall River! It is WONDERFUL to be back after ten or so years. The historical buildings are even more beautiful than I remember. My family + our family's best friend are here and in the same hotel. We found Chad's Chowderhouse (I mentioned that in the introduction in the book) Friday night and had to eat there. Yesterday we toured the murder house, as some of us hadn't seen it before or had forgotten exactly what it's like. We caught the first tour at 11 am, and I think someone said there were about 20 people. It was a little crowded, but a nice crowd and a wonderful tour guide. She was new to the tours, and she did a fantastic job. She looked at me a lot for possible fact checking (or who knows, maybe I had a breakfast stain on my blouse - typical :smile: ). She said a few things I never heard before. One was that Lizzie's real mother died of uterine congestion, which was familiar to many. But she said that the first Mrs. B was pregnant at the time! She did not know where the source of the info came from. This may sound dumb (also sometimes typical :smile: ) but I've done some research on uterine congestion and I never read that it was connected to a current pregnancy, and I've never read that Sarah Morse Borden was pregnant when she died. :?:

The house is even better than before. LeeAnn has added lots of new period pieces that capture attention. Saw some surprising things that made the story even better. The barn is really nice and full of tons of Borden-obelia (if that's not a word, it should be :wink: ). Met with Stefani. It was so great to see her after such a long time! She joined us for lunch and showed us a real good local place that we otherwise probably wouldn't have gone.

The book signing starts at noon, and I have to start getting ready. Will have another report for you later.
Your gal in Fall River,
augusta
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Makes me wonder if it was a baby or a tumor.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Yes, exactly. On an early thread a pregnancy for Sarah was brought up by a poster but I don't think any sources were cited. Surely it would have said something on her death certificate if she was pregnant?
PossumPie

Post by PossumPie »

Irina, Your credit card is actually SAFER if you order online. By phone or in person, people can write the number down and use it and you are responsible. If it is somehow hacked online, you are NOT responsible for anything. I have used mine online since 1995 with no problems. My father had his number stolen in an in-person visit at a doctor's office and used without his permission....

Curryong, I believe all death certificates must include if the person was pregnant when she died. I teach Medical assistants to read and understand death certificates.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Possum - Would they have known the difference between pregnancy and tumor at that period in time without an autopsy? I found an old medical book online which was so difficult to see that the most I could read for uterine congestion was the causes were believed to be wearing French shoes with too high heels and excessive douching. Whereas I think of fibroids or malignancy or PCOS or PID...do you have access to older texts that better describe what symptoms and and prognosis were for uterine congestion way back then?
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

augusta

Post by augusta »

Well, the book signing was a total blast! :bounce: I first went in the gift shop, and bought a necklace with matching earrings and put them on in the shop. They matched my dress, and I did not get around to buying a matching necklace before I left home. (I did have earrings on that went okay with the dress, but far better to have the ones that went with the necklace.)

They set me up at a pretty table in one of the gorgeous rooms. I so enjoyed meeting the people that came. It was pretty much a steady flow the whole time. I met a lot of fascinating and fun people. Mark Amarantes came with his family, and it was so GREAT to see them all again! Pete Smith, curator of the Historical Society in Marion, came - another wonderful reunion. I met Michael Brimbau. He is fantastic! Such a fun personality, easy to laugh, and very handsome, especially when he laughed and showed his pearly whites.

Got a new Lizzie story I look forward to hearing more about. When it was over, the FRHS had just two left. They are using those today along with an extra supply they got. I pre-signed those at the end of the event. When those are gone, those are the last autographed ones around.

I bought Richard Behrens' book, "Lizzie Borden: Girl Detective". And "I Did it!" by Donel Fattibene.

They had the prettiest Lizzie jewelry there! I bought one of the pendant necklaces that has a gorgeous image of Lizzie in her "Parallel Lives" cover dress.

Went to dinner (Chad's Chowder House), stopped for ice cream at a place called "Mr. Peepers" :shock: . They had something new-to-me called a "walking sundae". My back and legs were killing me after the signing, and after dinner only wanted to go back to our hotel. As soon as I laid down with my jammies on I caught an episode of "American Dad" and "Bob's Burgers", then konked out for the night.

This book is selling like hotcakes. I was showing the owner of Chad's Chowdah House the part where I mentioned them, and sold three copies to others who were nearby and didn't see more than the cover. It happens anywhere one of us (my family) has the book in their hands in public. It's like the January after-Christmas sale at Macy's in 1952. I didn't expect this much interest. I'm very happy, hope it continues and hope people enjoy it. - augusta :study:
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

It sounds as if you had an absolutely wonderful time in Fall River, Augusta, catching up with old acquaintances and friends. How I envy you being able to see the places connected with Lizzie. I'm so glad your book is selling so well, too. I'm still waiting for my copy, but that's quite usual, as I live in Australia! You won't forget these experiences in a hurry, I'll bet!
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

debbie, I might have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here, but could Sarah's primary cause of death be the disease of the spine, (whether tubercular or not) with what we now call pelvic congestion adding to her misery. That is, perhaps engorged and infected varicose veins within the uterus, which just weren't treated in the right way, ie not operated on?
augusta

Post by augusta »

Curryong,
I know this was a major milestone in my life. Even if I write another book and have another book signing, this was still my "first" and will be extra special to me. I hope you get your copy soon. That's so cool you're from Australia! I have to wonder how you found this forum?

A couple links that were in the papers out here. Yesterday it came out in the "Herald News":
http://fall-river.wickedlocal.com/artic ... /140809201

This was in "Southcoast Today" earlier:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... /407240317
augusta

Post by augusta »

Sarah Borden's "Uterine congestion" and "Disease of the spine" is interesting to ponder. I've always wondered what it meant, which was one of many questions I had regarding the subject of Lizzie. I have researched it as much as I could, and I have two paragraphs on it on page 281 in my book. I found it very interesting.

:study:
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Hooray, my copy of 'Resurrections' arrived today and I'm getting into it straight away! Very impressive!

Augusta, I promise I won't make this a habit, but I just want to ask a question. On Page 7 of your excellent book you write 'According to one woman quoted at the time, Lizzie was overheard to say that Abby was the kind that "never died."
Could I ask who said that? It wasn't Augusta Tripp's invalid sister Carrie, was it? Lizzie seems to have been a bit loose-lipped around Carrie.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I'm sorry, Curryong - I didn't see your post to me until now. I am traveling right now and don't have any of my Lizzie reference books with me. My memory tells me Lizzie said that to a dressmaker.

According to one Lizzie book I read a while back, it said that Lizzie loved to make up jokes at Abby's expense and would at times call her or refer to her as "Mrs. B". Sure would be interesting to know what some of those jokes were. I'll bet a lot of them were weight-related. Just a guess.

I am glad you finally got the book! And I do hope you enjoy it.

Please don't be hesitant to ask me questions. Or to comment on the book.
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Thanks for answering my question, Augusta. I am enjoying the book and finding it very useful!
augusta

Post by augusta »

I am very glad to hear it.
NESpinster

Post by NESpinster »

I am going straight to Amazon.com and order myself a copy! Congratulations, and I will be looking forward to receiving it with such anticipation I'll probably require sedatives, lol! Patience is not, alas, one of my virtues!!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :grin: :razz: :color: :cheers: :bounce: :sunny: :study: :flower:
Did she or didn't she?

That is the question!
NESpinster

Post by NESpinster »

I just ordered it!! Did I mention I cannot wait to get it?!? :rainbowfro: :razz: :lol:

Hurry up, Amazon!!!! :wink:
Did she or didn't she?

That is the question!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Welcome back, NESpinster! :grin: It's good to see you posting again.

Believe me, you are going to LOVE this book! Augusta has given us a new book that is truly non-fiction. I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far it had been a 'can't put it down' book! :grin:
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Sherry, before I order hard copy is there a chance it will be published for Kindle? :smiliecolors:
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

snokkums

Post by snokkums »

FANTASTIC!! Something new to read!!
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I didn't realize there were additional postings to this thread since I last visited. Still traveling.

Debbie, there is no talk that I've heard of regarding the book going into Kindle form.

NE Spinster, I hope the book lives up to your anticipation! :bounce: You sound like a lot of fun!

Curryong, re your post of August 7, I can for sure say that Lizzie did not say Abby was the kind that "never died" to Carrie Tripp - at least, it did not say so in the place I found it at. What you posted about Augusta and Carrie Tripp caught my interest. Can I persuade you to start a thread about them? I haven't read much about the Tripps that I can remember. O! To only have my Lizzie books with me now! :peanut3:
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

I'm not sure there's enough out there about the Pooles/Tripps to support a thread, Augusta. Carrie Poole and her mother, a widow, operated the boarding house in New Bedford, where Lizzie briefly stayed after Emma went on to Fairhaven on July 21st. It was in Madison St. It was a sort of defacto boarding house, like the one Mrs Churchill had next door to the Bordens. Carrie Poole was a typist and very delicate. in fact she died of tuberculosis after Lizzie's trial.

While she was there Lizzie bought dress material. She and the Pooles also visited Augusta Tripp, Carrie's older married sister and your namesake, at Westport! Lizzie went on for a day at Marion with her friends, which she didnt enjoy very much. Augusta Tripp was a schoolfriend of Lizzie's and a character witness for the defence at her trial. She blew off a question about Lizzie once making a statement to her sister about how she and Emma didnt know if they would get anything from their father's will, by saying that Carrie was sickly. (Too sickly to hear properly, presumably.) Carrie was not called as a witness.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Curryong and Augusta: I did a forum search and found the following links which have information on Carrie Poole:

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Archive06 ... Feeble.htm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2075&p=32230&hilit=Carrie#p32230

Hope this helps.
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

How interesting twins! Thanks for that! I must have read the name Noble (the abortionist Fall River doctor) somewhere about the time that I learned about the boarding house visit by Lizzie because I muddled up the names and said Carrie was Carrie Noble, sending poor Catbooks on a wild goose chase. So the Dr Noble arrest was where the first local rumours of Lizzie having an abortion came from!

'Feeble' in the 19th century just meant you were rather an invalid, unless it was specifically pointed out that a person was 'feeble-minded'. I've looked up Rebello again and he doesn't say that Carrie was considered intellectually slow, does he? It's interesting that the surname is Pool on Carrie's death certificate and Poole in Rebello. I think poor Carrie must have really been failing in health in the last year of her life, and possibly Lizzie was there to help.

I've never thought that Lizzie's remark about Andrew's estate came from just before the murders. It's always been my impression that it came earlier, perhaps around the time of the Whitehead quarrel. Nevertheless, Carrie must have thought it of some significance or she wouldn't have repeated it.

Here I go, another thread off the rails! BOBO will be after me with a hatchet!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You're welcome, Curryong. I found another thread regarding Carrie Poole; here you go: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4580