Jennings Files

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

RGJ

Jennings Files

Post by RGJ »

Who has the Jennings Files, why the heck haven't they been published, and what the hecking heck? They were announced over two and a half years ago.
MysteryReader

Re: Jennings Files

Post by MysteryReader »

Was Jennings one of the lawyers? If so, his books and files have been given to the Falls River Society.
RGJ

Post by RGJ »

AND??? You ever get the feeling anyone with a sliver of some evidence or theory thinks they are going to win a Pulitzer + Oscar + Lptto with it?

Publish the damn file. An intern could have scanned them in a weekend. What Borden Priesthood has to fondle them for two years and develop some marketing plan and revenue?

What are they being restored like the Dead Sea Scrolls?

I feel better. Thanks for holding my hair back. Apologies to any member priests.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

His grandson inherited them and didn't want them to be published (something about he didn't want his grandfather to be misunderstood). I'll see if I can post a link to the article.

You can read about it here: http://www.heraldnews.com/x1785609188/H ... ed-to-FRHS
irina

Post by irina »

Are we talking about the hip bath collection or the diary/journal/day planner that was recently turned over to FRHS? The latter they said would be published or something after the pages had been preserved or something. It does seem like a long time and I have wondered why the pieces couldn't be Xeroxed and shared. Nonetheless I am thankful for lots of what the FRHS has done and if it is to their advantage to make a profit from this (these) item(s), I don't have a problem with it but wish they would hurry up, however they plan to do it. I would assume FRHS doesn't have a huge budget and I am very glad they are in existence.
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Matters such as the Jennings papers are of deep historical value to be preserved. And to an historical society, their main objective is in the preservation. Publication takes a back seat in such matters. I know the staff of the Fall River Historical Society and they have been very busy with other projects, thus the Andrew Jackson Jennings papers are being studied, and information compiled, so when it is published it is done in a professional manner. The object here is for accurate and unambiguous conservation. Such things take times. Hasty public disclosure is not the FAll River Historical Society's objective. Profit and the need to know takes a back seat to preservation and guardianship.

Though some of the disclosures in the Jennings papers are subtle, they do shine a pivotal evaluation about everyday Borden behavior, especially Andrew's and his feelings towards Lizzie and Emma, calling them" his girls." There is also hint that Andrew was very happy and fond of the letters he received from Lizzie when she was away from home.

Jennings was on a intimate business relationship with many of those he interviewed, giving his writings and opinions a more personal and profound outlook on events of the time, of the people, and of the crime.

One of the most vital observations by Jennings was comments made by Andrew Borden of his strong desire to see "his girls" taken care of and happy in a nice place. Though whether he meant at 92 Second Street or in a place of their own would be speculation on my part.

But the papers will prove to hold much interest as we see the interviews by Jennings from the point of view of the defense.

Also these documents were given to the Historical Society directly after the completion of Parallel Lives, a monster of a book. We must forgive and give them the break they deserve between publication.

Remember, the longer we wait—the more tasty the ice cream. And what the heck. I'm sure we can give them the time they need to do a professional and masterful publication.

Like everyone else, hope it will not be to long.

Next time I speak to Michael Martins I will ask him if he has planned a publication timeline.

:study:
irina

Post by irina »

That's kind of what I thought was going on, mbhenty. I'm not a patient type person but like I said I appreciate everything the FRS has done and therefore will be content with whatever they decide to do. I do hope it's soon. It is frustrating not to have more contemporary knowledge about the family and their associates at the time.

Whether or not Lizzie is guilty or innocent, she deserves better historic memory than a rather crude rhyme. If she was guilty I believe there was an understandable reason and if she was innocent, history has treated her unkindly.
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe
RGJ

Post by RGJ »

I thought I posted a long response I researched and wrote out. It must have stuck on my end. And of course I didn't save it...

What I was pointing out is that the physical journals, their future display, a pretty coffee table book...sure, whatever the FRHS wants. Preseve them write a screenplay, buy them their own touring jet.

But it is outrageous that the CONTENT is being held back for years. If these had been given to a major institution like the Smithsonian, there could have been .pdfs of the pages in the Library of Congress and their website the next week for academicians and interested parties (like us).

And WE are the ones getting screwed. And we are all OLD, dammit. I might live to see the publication of these things, but I'll probably just tilt my head at it and gum it like it was my mid-morning lemon cookie.

I don't like the whole thing becoming a product circus, with teasers, etc. The FRHS receives money from the taxpayers, there should be a moral, if not legal, obligation to the hobbyists who have spent decades arguing over the print of Lizzie's dress, and not there is the, probably last, trove of evidence, and it sists in a small museum for years, for all the wrong reasons (i.e.: money). Curator are the protectors of the physical, not the wardens of information. The FRHS is supprted by fans of the crime, as it were. And those, we, are the hoobyists getting screwed!

m I wrong? Surely the FRHS has READ the damn journals, they were described as fragile not illegible. At least release a synapsis -- I would ask why not? I would seriously like to hear that asnwer...and it isn't preservation, unless thye mean preservation of a book buzz three years from now. If that is it...that is really sort of despicable, and against all the academic and scientific mores I have ever heard of.

What are the credentials of Michael Martins and Dennis A. Binette? I am not criticizing theior work, by the way, they put together a nice book. I just would like to know their scientific roots that they would handle the dissemination of historical info this way.
RGJ

Post by RGJ »

Okay, I'm risking making this sound like a personal attack, but I truly question the scientific standards that would lead to holding back historical documents -- NOT author's research -- to wait for the publication of your book. Dennis Bichette does not have a science or forensic science background, he was an English major who has worked at FRHS right out of school, his first and only job it looks like on LinkedIn.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

It took me many years to discover the truth.

But the Fall River Historical Society has the right to do anything they like with the Jennings papers. They could put them in a safe and never publish them, or even show them. We as the public have no right to ask to see them if they refuse. As a matter of fact, they don't even have to let you in the door and can refuse you entry or access to the Society House if that is what they wish.

Why you ask?

Because the Fall River Historical Society is a Private Organization. They are not public. They receive no public funds, No tax dollars, no city or state money. They are essentially a Private club, open to the public but not accountable to the public.

With the Jennings papers... what they do with them is up to them and the donor.

The Society exists on donations, membership money and grants. Most of their budget is made up of donations given them by some of fall river's most prominent families, most of whom don't even live in fall river any longer.

And that is the whole pie. Whether we see the Jennings papers any time soon is up to the curators. Sure, they will probably show them to you if you visit there. You may have to call and make an appointment, since they may have them locked away. I also heard that they may go out to a conservator to stable their aging.

And that is the whole story. Sorry!

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Being around these people and amongst many Borden scholars in the fall river area, including a good friend of mine who knows a judge and spoke to him about it, the Historical Society may need to do an extensive study to discover if they can even publish Jennings account.

Anyone who studies the Law would know better than I. But client confidentiality may rule here, even though all the participants are dead. There still family. The Society may have the right to show and display the documents but not have the right to publish them.

Further investigation by this monkey will need to be done to uncover the truth. Once I have I will share it.

Curryong

Post by Curryong »

I too, am impatient, but I know Parallel Lives was meticulously researched and took much time and effort, so we'll just have to be patient, I suppose.

Well, it's the same thing isn't it with the files held by a certain law firm in Springfield? In their case, the firm could have a clear-out one day and all Lizzie papers could go through the shredder and no-one would be able to do anything about it. Their spokesman a few years ago made soothing noises about 'client confidentiality' and there being no 'smoking gun' etc., but surely after this length of time they could at least allow an archivist to take a look at them.
RGJ

Post by RGJ »

mbhenty wrote:It took me many years to discover the truth.

But the Fall River Historical Society has the right to do anything they like with the Jennings papers. They could put them in a safe and never publish them, or even show them. We as the public have no right to ask to see them if they refuse. As a matter of fact, they don't even have to let you in the door and can refuse you entry or access to the Society House if that is what they wish.

Why you ask?

Because the Fall River Historical Society is a Private Organization. They are not public. They receive no public funds, No tax dollars, no city or state money. They are essentially a Private club, open to the public but not accountable to the public.

With the Jennings papers... what they do with them is up to them and the donor.

The Society exists on donations, membership money and grants. Most of their budget is made up of donations given them by some of fall river's most prominent families, most of whom don't even live in fall river any longer.

And that is the whole pie. Whether we see the Jennings papers any time soon is up to the curators. I also heard that they may go out to a conservator to stable their aging.

And that is the whole story. Sorry!

Not totally true. The bottom of their home page has two organizations' logoes and the following statement:

This site is funded in part by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Economic Development/Office of Travel and Tourism and the Bristol County Convention and Visitor's Bureau

Elected officials could bring pressure to bear, s they have done on entities funded with tax dollars in cases like JFK.
Sure, they will probably show them to you if you visit there. You may have to call and make an appointment, since they may have them locked away.
If that is true, then I have no b1tch. I say, no way.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Sorry but you are wrong again. Read what it says:

This site is funded in part by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Economic Development/Office of Travel and Tourism and the Bristol County Convention and Visitor's Bureau

The site is funded not the society. And even that funding is done through grants, not tax dollars.

If you would like to make the argument that grant money is tax money, you may have a point there. But it does not change the Societies designation.

Furthermore, right now I am in the office of the person that designed that homepage.

One can make an argument that because it is a grant, it is government money, and one would be indirectly correct.

But in the end they are a Private organization who can run their institution as they see fit. Whether you or I like it or not.

This being said, they are very professional and knowledgable on anything Lizzie or Fall River and are always happy to give you their time. There's even a study area in the basement with a library for scholars to do research.

But they are private, and receive not tax money or government funding, whether you see it that way or not.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

This site is funded in part by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Economic Development/Office of Travel and Tourism and the Bristol County Convention and Visitor's Bureau[/i]

The site is funded not the society. And even that funding is done through grants, not tax dollars.

If you would like to make the argument that grant money is tax money, you may have a point there. But it does not change the Societies designation.

One can make an argument that because it is a grant, it is government money, and one would be indirectly correct.

But in the end they are a Private organization who can run their institution as they see fit. Whether you or I like it or not.

This being said, they are very professional and knowledgable on anything Lizzie or Fall River and are always happy to give you their time. There's even a study area in the basement with a library for scholars to do research.

But they are private, and receive not tax money or government funding.

debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

My first degree and first career was in library science (back when it was still called library science.... :smiliecolors:) and since then I have written for and worked for several grants through a University and prior to that through a State Department of Education. I can say with absolute certainty that tax dollars do not change their colors because they're distributed via an RFP. Institutions that choose to accept federal funds in any form are subjecting themselves to certain rules, i.e., parochial schools that accept assistance via the federal school lunch program. But these rules have more to do with follow through on the grant itself, not making personal profit connected with the grant, accurate accounting on spending and the like. None of this gives the public any right to grant-related information not directly controlled by the U.S. government as per the FOIA. The Jennings papers are not under control of the anyone other than the FRHS and the donor if he retained some rights to their use. As such, they will be shared as the donor specified or, if there are no legal parameters, then as the FRHS sees fit. The idea of photocopying and distributing this information makes me cringe professionally, although I'd hypocritically love to have a copy. John Kennedy was President of the United States who was assassinated; Lizzie Borden was a private citizen of Fall River, MA, who was accused of double parricide. The need for the public to know in these two cases is decidedly different.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Of course you are completely correct, Debbiediabio.

The recipient to the RFB is required to prove due diligence, based upon agreement, but most times with great flexibility and latitude. Once they qualify, certain responsibilities and obligations are expected, but to programing which involves and pertains to activities within the agreement of the grant and not to the entire private organization in a way which ties their hands to how they conduct business.

The interesting thing we can expect is to discover what the FRHS will actually do with Jenning's papers. Last I heard they wanted a conservator look at them, but my understanding was that they would be published. Next time I speak to Michael or Dennis I will try and clear up the issue of publication.

Non the less, any new discoveries we get in the future will probably come from the FRHS. They have hand on the pulse of Lizzie world, that is, relatives who were close to her, as least in the way of blood or friendship.

Good post Deb.

Curryong

Post by Curryong »

I have finally ordered Parallel Lives and am really looking forward to it. I do want to know Lizzie a lot more than I do and I hope the book will help. I'm sure the FRHS will eventually publish some of the Jennings documentation. We just have to be patient.