Salvation of Maplecorft

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Salvation of Maplecorft

Post by mbhenty »

Maplecroft has gotten a bad rap, mostly from me.

But salvation is on the way with the new owner, who has expressed her commitment to restore the old house to near it's former glory.

Gone is the abusive previous owner.

Yep, I can still be nasty. But it's time to be good...to be gentle... to speak highly of the old place.

It is long overdue.

Many on here will remember the reports I gave on the small iron fence between Maplecroft and the Davenport house, and how it was falling down.

Recently it was propped up with some unsightly lumber,as the fence snaked up the property line in a zig and a zag, sagging and toppling.

Well last week I tackled the old fence and made some long term temporary repairs. The old fence is now straight as an arrow. Though I needed to use some brick footings it is now nice and straight and should stay that way indefinitely.... until it can be dismantled, re-welded and painted.

Yep! Will not be long.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aamartin

Re: Salvation of Maplecorft

Post by Aamartin »

that fence is gorgeous
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

OH, WOW, MB, you did an awesome job of temporarily repairing Lizzie's iron fence. It looks really good, however, it will be a sight to see once it is restored to its original glory!!!
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Aamartin: it is a very simple but attractive little fence.

Yes Twins. It has been close to, if not over 100 years, since the little fence was installed by Lizzie Borden. The lower portion, (rail) of the fence is buried in the ground since the topsoil has crept higher over many years.

There is much welding and replacing needed. The braces you see in the photo have rotted at the base. When I first looked it over I discovered that they were all bent backwards and not doing anything at all. Also there are spokes that are bent and loose, along with metal fatigue and rot.

As I have instructed the new owner, the fence will need to be removed, dismantled, and reinforced, with some portions replaced, to do a correct renovation, but one which, if done correctly will last another 100 years. If attention was cared for over the years the fence would not nave needed all this work.

The new owner appears eager to have the little fence cared for in time. Not a cheap job. Several thousands to have it done right.

But the ambition, enthusiasm, and formal resolve has been expressed by the new owner, which looks very promising. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

repeat post.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Is the fence all solid metal? Not partially hollow ? Steel or iron?
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

No doubt that Lizzie would have spent time in her yard, admiring her fence
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Solid, Iron...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Dube's name finally sterilized from the building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

There's this little film (or as they are called today, videos) on UTube.

I have been given the privilege of removing the previous owner's name from the window at the front door of Maplecroft.

One more black mark removed from Maplecroft.

Yep! :!: That's me scraping away...

Sort of a hokey film, but it was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJxPBNw0J2Y
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I loved the film, MB!!! I don't think it was at all hokey, and the music was the perfect touch for the task of removing the previous owner's name. :cheers:

I'm sure it was an honor, as well as a pure delight, for you to do this little task for the new owner. :grin:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I seen those letters on the window before but couldn't tell what they actually said. I though maybe it was some warning from dube to curiosity seekers to stay away
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks Twins.

Yes, it is a funny film, well done, really. Produced by Pear Tree Productions you can say. The Moderator of this forum put it together.

Yes I did get a kick out of removing his name. Fargo it said "Dube Public Fire Adjuster Notary" Living next door to this guy one thing I witnessed was he was everything people accused Andrew Borden of. A Cheap miser, never spending any money to update Maplecroft unless absolutely necessary. Proof of this was the lettering that was removed. He didn't even use the same color. He must have run out of same color and type lettering and just used what he had.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The interest I take in Maplecroft is threefold.

Firstly, it's next door to me. So anything that goes on there affects the value of my building.

Second: It's of historical value. This interests me greatly. An example is a Victorian down in the 800 block of Rock Street which is falling apart because it is owned by a slumlord. It is very sad. Not only do such buildings hold great value for their esthetic value, architecture, and age, but for a building like Maplecorft the value is doubled for who lived there.

Third: Lizzie Borden lived there. This to me is the least interest I have in the building. Yes I cannot deny the attraction, but the fact that Lizzie Lived there is secondary to my interest in the property.
Last edited by mbhenty on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Oh yes, one more thing:

The previous owner, Mr. Dube," gave an interview to the Herald News when he purchased the building and said that he had "great interest in historical buildings" and was some sort of "restorer" of old buildings. (not exact words, but close. Herald News 1980)

He lied.

Let me give you an idea about what this guy was all about.

On the front door of Maplecroft you have a door knob. Behind the door knob is a backing plate. Some are plain. On Victorian homes some are very decorative.

Well the one on Lizzie's door was decorative. I'm not sure whether it was custom made or something that Lizzie could have purchased over the shelf.

But on that door knob backing plate was the letter "B" for Borden. The previous owner "DUBE" had the "B: chiseled and turned into a "D".

What sort of person does such an insane thing.

Who know's what else he has done that we don't know about. We know he removed the stain glass window from the second floor and sold it.

Sad.

Below are a couple examples of decorative door knobs and plates. Art, really....
tinkse7en

Post by tinkse7en »

My husband's father sold his family's historic hotel to a group (huge name): long story.

Short story: they ripped 100 yr old original trim out, put 3 sets of extremely valuable French doors with original paned beveled glass out to the dumpster, wherein employees amused themselves by busting panes with rocks.

Husband didn't cry, but I did.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I have sat around Maplecroft the past week with the new owner discussing the color Maplecroft should be painted. Her concern is to have the building look as it did when Lizzie was alive. Authenticity is the order of the day for this ambitious, capable, and enterprising owner.

What you see below is the beginning of a new look for Maplecoft.

Painting has started today.

Here's your first look.

Updates to be posted later.

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Did lizzie have different colours on Maplecroft over the years?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

How's it going Fargo:

Yes:

Decisions are being made with careful research, both document and tangibly, that is to say, by early accounts and what is found under years or old paint.

The house will be painted two tone. The upper half of the building will be done in a buff, or beige tone.

The fact that Lizzie might have had Maplecroft painted a different color in later years has been considered and weighed. For now, these will be the colors used.

August Pears

Post by August Pears »

I love to get the doorknobs in the second image. There are old fashioned bee skeps on them!! So pretty.
:shock: "Oh Mrs. Churchill, do come over. Someone has killed father." - Lizzie Andrew Borden
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, I love the new color combination for Maplecoft!!! It is going to be a very eye-catching house when completed. Thank you for the update. :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

another:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Very nice, MB! What color will the trim be?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins:

Lots of colors were floated. Including shades of gray.

Lizzie had Maplecroft for a long time and it is almost certain that she had it painted several times. Could be possible that she changed color. But the base color appears to be green and buff, and could have been the colors of the building when Charles Allen owned it.

The certainty of the trim color is not as obvious.

But I think it will be an off white or cream. At least that's what I think it will be.

The idea of the color scheme is similar to the building below, with the darker green on the bottom.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

It looks good on this house
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

From what I have discovered, the trim will be painted pure WHITE......at least for now. Who know's. This may change.

Victorians were very daring in their color schemes. There have been some really whacky color combinations that really work. There's one house down the street from me that is painted orange with green trim. But it works.

Here are a couple of whacky and beautiful color combinations. None of them in fall river. (small f small r for the small minds that live here)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

A couple more:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The Pink and red house above is hideous....

Below is the Phillip Borden House on Rock Street just two blocks down from Lizzie's Maplecroft.

Orange, red and green.

The house in the back ground is the Franklin Almy House, and the one in the distance belong to still another Borden.

Hmm???
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Well, you can't see the one in the distance. It's behind the trees, just out of the shot.

In any event, it is called the Eric Borden house, which is almost directly across the street from the "The Moorings" also known as the Andrew Borden house.

Bordens, Bordens, everywhere....
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I think the pure white trim would really set off both the dark green and beige colors for Maplecoft. Can't wait to see the results!

The color combinations on the houses you posted really are 'different'. Some of them are really hard on the eyes! :shock:

I love the color combination of the Franklin Almy House! :grin: What an awesome mansion; it's huge!
Last edited by twinsrwe on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

New paint....
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I'm guessing the bedrooms on the top floor are going to be used for a B and B as well.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Mbhenty, did you notice how you spelled maplecorft on the title? Lol
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

No, but I do now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am long over due for new glasses.

I'm blind as a bat without them. Alos, (see what I mean....Also) my computer is on the way out. You have to really slam some of the keys to make them work. But being a creature of habit I hate to give up the old machine.

It's like my wallet. I have had mine for almost 20 years. Same wallet. It's tattered to no end.

Most of the edits on my post are done so to correct spelling. I can type pretty fast. But I'm not good at noticing my mistakes as I type. At times I go back to read what I have written and find all sorts of typos. Sometimes I correct them, sometimes I don't.

Oh well!
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

I have to admit- I love most of the color schemes of the houses you posted, MB!
patsy

Post by patsy »

So nice that the new owner seems to want the house to be as authentic as possible. And how handy to have you for a neighbor, Mb. The new paint looks great as does the straightened fence.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The painting of Maplecroft continues this morning:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

GOLD LEAF PAINT......
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

The color combination for Maplecroft is very appealing to the eyes. I was wondering if the trim just below the roof was going to be painted with the dark green color, but the gold leaf paint along with the dark green is even better. These colors really compliment each other,

Thanks for the update, Mb! :grin:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Found this article while doing research on something else – It’s a pretty short article if you ask me!!!

The Herald News, July 30, 2015:

Lizzie Borden's house being restored to original condition

http://tinyurl.com/o8v5e5a

MB, who are the two Borden experts that the new owner has hired to make the home look as it did inside and out as when the Borden sisters lived there?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins:

Just got back from a reading of The Minuscule Monk, a Lizzie Borden Detective Mystery.

Recently there has been a load of "Lizzie" fiction being published, but this is a very classy tale, written beautifully from a very accomplished writer, Richard Behrens. The reading was very entertaining. I've been to a couple of readings and found it amazing how some authors can do a disservice to their work by reading it themselves. Not the case with Richard. He made the short reading very enjoyable and leaving this reader wanting more.

Lizzie Borden Girl Detective is a very unique, innocent, and wholesome approach to a historical character who is too often viewed in a dim light. To bad you weren't there Twins. I think you would have enjoyed it.

Now as for your question.

The two experts are Leonard Rebello and Bill Pavao. Bill was once curator of 92 Second Street and assistant to Leonard in Lizzie Borden Past and Present.

Mr. Pavao is now the curator of Maplecroft. And if you want to Set a Watchman. Well that is me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thank you for the names of the two experts, MB! So, you’re the watchman, huh? Love the clever way you slipped the partial title of Harper Lee’s 'newest' book in here. :grin: Kristee picked two of the best, that’s for sure; actually, she now has 4 the best experts on Lizzie Borden: Leonard, Bill, Stefani and you! How lucky can one woman get?

The reading of The Minuscule Monk, sounds like something I would have really enjoyed! Now I’m sorry I missed it! :sad: For many years, now, my biggest wish/dream has been a trip to Fall River. I’d love to meet you, Stefani, Kristee Bates, Michael Martins, Dennis A. Binette, Lee-Ann Wilber and Donald Woods. As well as Bill Pavao and Lenard Rebello, if possible. Did I miss anyone? I agonize if I did! The sites I’d like to see, for sure, are 92 Second Street, Maplecroft and Oak Grove Cemetery. I'd also like to see the rest of Fall River; I think it would be very interesting.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I think that fence is just lovely. It would look so great if it is restored properly. Please post any photos when it's done. It's those details that really make the old homes stand out.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Work continues at Maplecroft as the new owner does right by historical protocol while adding her own appealing and unique touch.

Like the new curtains on the front porch in the photo below.

Also:

The garage gets new gutters, Trim is painted along the front porch, and back door it's own decorative motif.

(click on photo to make BIG)

Last edited by mbhenty on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Maplecroft is looking good! :grin:
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

I am so happy about this !
Neglect is a one way street to nowhere
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Hate to be a naysayer but I wish the roof were darker or maybe it's sunlight that casts the pale gray look.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Exactly what I thought when I saw them put the new roof up a couple of years ago.

I don't like white roofs. Perhaps on a white house, but.... Not sure whether the old owner thought it was more neutral—but the real reason probably had something to do with cost, I'm sure. He took the easy way out and went over the old roof. So there are two roofs there. In some areas code requires you remove the old roof. On a house such as Maplecroft the old roof should have been removed.

They want upwards of 10,000 dollars to replace my roof. I just don't have the money and I have waited as long as I can. Now I'm getting water damage on the third floor and have little choice. Recently I went for a loan to have the roof done. Currently I am doing it myself.

Yes, yes, I'm going over the old one just like they did in Maplecorft. Only because I'm just one man. I could scrape off the old roof but it would take me forever. It's not the time that restricts me but the rain. Being one man I just can't get it done quick enough. Since I started we have had 4 big rain storms. In the end, what would take a crew of guys one to two days to do is taking me over a month.

Most of my friends think I've gone mad replacing the roof myself. Nope. I'm just a pirate. What they haven't noticed is that I have always been mad. A 60+ guy hanging 30 plus feet on a roof and carrying 4000 pounds of shingles up there. Hey you can't say I'm afraid of work...Besides, I'm saving between 6 and 7 thousand dollars doing it myself. That can't be ignored.
'
:pirat:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Dangerous hard work. No fun at all.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Exterior of Maplecroft—finished product...