What made you interested

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Liz Crouthers

What made you interested

Post by Liz Crouthers »

:cool: Wht made you interested in The Case of Lizzie Borden? :?:
ghostcat1313

Post by ghostcat1313 »

I remember hearing the childhood chant about Lizzie and not having a clue as to what it referred to etc., every kid knew the verses. It is funny, but if you ask a child today who Lizzie Borden is, most from what I have experienced, will look at you like you have two heads, the verses faded away somehow through the years, must have been seen as too violent to say in front of children in todays society, lol. I did not take an interest until lately when I saw that the home was a B&B on tv and that you could actually tour the home and/or stay as well. I love murder mysteries, ghost stories, local history and old houses. I really want to do a lot more reading of the case etc before I go back again to visit. I am from Massachusetts and am amazed at how many out of state/out of country people are interested. Liz, what about you ? What sparked your interest?
Liz Crouthers

Post by Liz Crouthers »

Well
mine is mostly the same.

I heard the rhyme on my first day of school, and I wanted to know more. So during the year my parents bought me a computer and during the time that I was learning to use it, I heard an old poem again.
ghostcat1313

Post by ghostcat1313 »

Liz, we are both Aries, lol. Since you live in Missouri, have you visited Massachusetts? The Borden House? Do you have any other interest in any other murder cases?
Liz Crouthers

Post by Liz Crouthers »

That is so neat. I didn't know that. No I have not been to MA. When I get royalty money for the book tht is what I will do with it.

Yes I love many famous murder cases.
Nona

Post by Nona »

I was actually attracted to the paranormal ghostly part of the B&B first some years ago......I love that stuff.I first heard it on all the halloween shows.......then years later CSI came out.......low and behold I became intrested in forensics and crime............only a matter of seconds before I stumbled back on to the Borden case:) AND YOU CAN SLEEP where the murders happened to!!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Sleeping at 92 2nd Street is easy...very easy. Even alone in the guest room !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Allen

Post by Allen »

theebmonique @ Wed May 25, 2005 2:19 pm wrote:Sleeping at 92 2nd Street is easy...very easy. Even alone in the guest room !

Tracy...
Tell that to my husband, the big sissy :lol:
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Liz Crouthers

Post by Liz Crouthers »

Ha I could do it.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I was looking for info on Joan of Arc about 30 years ago and came across a big heavy book (a real toe smasher) titled: "1000 of The World's Greatest Trials." I came across the story of the Borden case including photos. My sister and I both took an interest in it.

I've been hooked ever since.

-1bigsteve (o:
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

i can't remember when i had not heard of lizzie borden.

i think it's the idea of her guilt that initially attracts. you learn that, then you unlearn it, and then you take a position that leans either way while searching for something to substantiate it.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Haulover @ Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:49 pm wrote:i can't remember when i had not heard of lizzie borden.

i think it's the idea of her guilt that initially attracts. you learn that, then you unlearn it, and then you take a position that leans either way while searching for something to substantiate it.

So very true, Haulover. I remember thinking Lizzie must have done it when I first heard of the story but over the years I have been swinging back and forth as I learn new things. When I start thinking Lizzie was innocent I see some "proof" that lean's me toward her guilt. Then I find something that doesn't jive and I swing back the other way. Every alley I go down I end up hitting a brick wall.

Sometimes I feel like a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. But if we all keep digging maybe one day we will solve it. But then we will have to find another case to solve! :smile:

-1bigsteve (o:
bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

theebmonique @ Wed May 25, 2005 2:19 pm wrote:Sleeping at 92 2nd Street is easy...very easy. Even alone in the guest room !

Tracy...
I can't agree more... when I slept in the house by myself for the first time (a big marker in my life!) I wanted to do it right and I slept in the guestroom. Hopefully theebmonique can agree it's the best night's sleep you will ever get (if you're used to the house like we are).

I will NOT sleep in Bridget's room, and my favorite room is the Knowlton room (don't know why, but I feel most comfortable there).

Hope to see you all soon - I miss all my friends from the forum, Stef, Kat, Harry, and the rest. And how could I forget my specially "sweet" friend Sherry (Augusta)!

Ben :grin:
Le classe de français cinq a l'ecole Chariho rappèlent la voyage aux Québec. Le 24 avril - 29 2006
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'd love to sleep in the Borden house. Any bedroom but especialy Lizzie's. Maybe I could pick up some vibes or clues as to where she hid the hatchet. I'd love to be left alone in the whole house to try to find a secret hiding place for that hatchet. The smoke shelf behind the damper in the fireplace would have been my first spot but I found out from Lincoln's book that the fireplace was papered over. Bummer.

-1bigsteve (o:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Yes, the guest room was a wonderful night's sleep. I think Abby likes her guests to feel comfortable and at home. Lizzie's room was great too, good vibes. I have thought about both the Knowlton and Bridget's room for next time.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Personally, I think it's healthy and open-minded to study the case and still not come to a definite conclusion.
Yet sometimes I hear of "fence-sitters" being ridiculed- as if they have not the courage of conviction.
I think it's better to be open to influence, rather than closed into one theory.
What do you guys think?
I've been wondering about what the majority feels about this?
Caesar

Post by Caesar »

What got me interested was probably the field trips we had at middle school. my school was on President ave next to Rock street. for a young boy at the time I just found it morbid that people would sing that Lizzie song and buy stuff at one the shops. another reason that got me interested would be the hauntings :shock:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Kat @ Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:52 am wrote:Personally, I think it's healthy and open-minded to study the case and still not come to a definite conclusion.
Yet sometimes I hear of "fence-sitters" being ridiculed- as if they have not the courage of conviction.
I think it's better to be open to influence, rather than closed into one theory.
What do you guys think?

I agree with you, Kat. I am always open to different possibilities and never come to a conclusion unless I see concrete proof to support it, and even then I'm still looking. We may never know what really happened in 1892 so I will always be open to all possibilities on that case.

Fence sitters always get ridiculed by those who want to jump to a pre-concieved conclusion. Like the gangs in the old western movies who want to string a guy up without a trial because they "know" he is guilty and they threaten or lay the 'guilt trip' on those who don't go along with their plans.

Those with open minds are the one who will keep searching until they find the truth. That is why I never jumped on the Warren Report bandwagon. Very little of it is fact. Maybe one of us die-hards will uncover something in the Borden case that will solve the mystery. Yessssss!! :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Kat @ Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:52 am wrote:Personally, I think it's healthy and open-minded to study the case and still not come to a definite conclusion.
What do you guys think?

Even though I was familiar with the Lizzie Borden case long ago it really has only been very recently that I've really started reading about this case. I see your point about being open-minded about the case but still, most of the theories I have read have huge holes in them. For me it's not so much a murder mystery as the fact that I find Lizzie to be so interesting. I like reading about women who lived a long time ago and how they dealt with life and the pressures that were on them.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I think I have always been interested in why a person, a very seemingly normal person, would "flip-out" and kill. YOu know what is going on in their mind when they did it.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I heard about Lizzie Borden in my childhood as my mother had an interest in the Lizzie Borden case and she taught me the "Lizzie" song when I was quite young.

I have always had an interest in true crime stories, as well as forensic medicine. I am interested in several murder cases: Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Ed Gein, Jeffery MacDonald, Jeffery Dahmer and The Black Dahlia, to name a few.

I became re-interested in the Borden case a few years ago when I started creating search-a-word puzzles that have a picture appear within the puzzle once you have completed working it. I have finished a search-a-word puzzle on Lizzie Borden, however, I decided I wanted the picture to have a bit more character.... so, I am in the process of creating a second puzzle on Lizzie Borden. Creating my puzzles are not only a favorite pass time for me, they are my most cherished hobby.
Elizabeth Ann

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I think my first introduction to Lizzie was when I was a teen and saw the movie starring Elizabeth Montgomery. After that I wanted to learn more and the more I read and learn, I too go back and forth as to whether she did or didn't do it!
I thought I would go out, and see if the air would make me feel any better. "Lizzie Andrew Borden"
Little Lizzie

Post by Little Lizzie »

Wow old subject now new again since all of you have a fasination with Lizzie anyone else like Amityville?
We the depressed, in our darkest hour have...
No energy to move, No reason to live,No will to survive, No hope in a cure,No Reason to try.Every cell of our being wants to die.Yet we do live.
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

I became intersted in the Lizzie Borden case in 1995 after seeing an A&E Biography on her. I was only 14 at the time, but I remember watching it and WANTING so bad to figure that darn Lizzie out...
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!