Hannah B. Nelson

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

beckygoddess

Hannah B. Nelson

Post by beckygoddess »

Does anyone have information on Hannah B. Nelson who was Lizzie's maid and died in 1908?

Is it possible Lizzie named one of her dogs, "Lord Nelson" in memory of Hannah?
"We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away." - LAB letter to Amanda dated 8/8/1908
diana

Post by diana »

Rebello also wonders this in his book.
Interestingly, Lizzie bought the plot for her dogs in 1927 but they were not buried there until 1928. It might be interesting to know who cared for them after she died.

(source: Rebello, 357-8)
beckygoddess

Post by beckygoddess »

Yes, that is interesting. I would even expect Lizzie to have specifically mentioned her dogs when she was writing her Will. She thought about the maintenance of her father's graveyard plot, but not about her dogs. I wonder if they went to Horseneck Beach with Grace and all 3 died the year after Lizzie's death. That would be odd.

I couldn't find on that page in Rebello where he thought Lizzie may have named "Lord Nelson" after Hannah B. Nelson. Could you be a little more specific where it is? Thank you. :smile:
"We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away." - LAB letter to Amanda dated 8/8/1908
beckygoddess

Post by beckygoddess »

Was Hannah the servant that had a child that Lizzie paid for to go away to school rather than live with them? I heard this 3rd hand.
diana

Post by diana »

Beckygoddess asks:
I couldn't find on that page in Rebello where he thought Lizzie may have named "Lord Nelson" after Hannah B. Nelson. Could you be a little more specific where it is?

Sure --

Rebello notes:
"Perhaps Lizzie named two of her pets after her loyal servants, Hannah B. Nelson and Ellen "Nellie" Miller."

It's in very small print above the picture of the headstone on page 358.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I have a question -- ("We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away." - LAB letter to Amanda
dated 8/8/1908) -- Who was Lizzie refering to here? I thought this might be Hannah, who died in Providence in July of that year (Reb. Pg 288). She was only 37 when she died.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Yes, Beckygoddess, I've been wondering about that quote and the letter it comes from, as well. Please, tell us about it. Thanks.
beckygoddess

Post by beckygoddess »

Thank you Diana. I did miss it. You are really good at this!! :)

Tina, that quote is from Lizzie's letter to her friend about Hannah B. Nelson. It was written shortly after she received a letter from the Superintendent of Rhode Island Hospital in Providence where Hannah died. The religious side of Lizzie comes out in that letter. I've been trying to find out more about Hannah since she meant so much to Lizzie. Also because she, Lizzie, wrote the letter on my birthday, August 8th.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Wow...what a letter to have ! Where and how does one acquire a letter like this ? Will you post it here please ?

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
beckygoddess

Post by beckygoddess »

The letters were published in Gateway Magazine, Summer, 1997, according to my 3 x 5 card. I have them somewhere, probably in boxes. If time permits tomorrow (we'll be out most of the day), I'll try to find them, scan, and post. There were 1 or 2 from the hospital and 3 I think from Lizzie.

There's lots of Lizzie letters out there. She herself mentioned letters she received while in Taunton and then immediately after her acquittal. Emma was getting a lot of letters to from people between the time of Lizzie's arrest and the trial. My guess is Emma would throw hers away. Lizzie, like keeping a silver cup inscribed from a woman she detested, would probably have kept many if not most of them. So who got them? Helen? Grace? As to letters they wrote, again I think they're still out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the FRHS has some that they have never made public.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Tina-Kate @ Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:41 pm wrote:I have a question -- ("We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away." - LAB letter to Amanda
dated 8/8/1908) -- Who was Lizzie refering to here? I thought this might be Hannah, who died in Providence in July of that year (Reb. Pg 288). She was only 37 when she died.
Wow TinaKate, Good Deduction!!:!:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Hehehehe...Not always so blond ;-)
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Vita_Brevis

Re: Hannah B. Nelson

Post by Vita_Brevis »

beckygoddess wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:06 pm Does anyone have information on Hannah B. Nelson who was Lizzie's maid and died in 1908?

I believe I may have new information about Hannah Nelson that my grandmother shared with me just before she died. Upon researching my grandmother's grandmother with the facts I was given I believe this Hannah B. Nelson must have been my great great grandmother.

You see my great great grandmother was born in Sweden where she lived in her family's castle which was located on its own island. I don't know exactly what island I just remember that my grandmother had visited and stayed there during my childhood. (When my distant cousin Gordon passed away many years ago the family didn't want to upkeep it or live there and the island and castle were purchased by Sweden and turned into a historical visitor's site. I tried to research this but didn't come up with anything). The story goes that Hannah fell in love with the stable boy and was subsequently disowned by her father wherein she moved to Boston. Her only daughter was raised in a boarding school. This is not well known in my family and is something I believe they were ashamed of and have tried to hide as families sometimes do. This is all I knew about my great great grandmother growing up before I probed my grandmother for more information just prior to her death.

Okay so I'm the black sheep, if you will, and I believe that is why she told me the following facts that are not found in our family history book:

1. That Hannah worked as a housekeeper for a woman who was aquitted for murder before she came to work for her;

2. The woman she worked for was terribly and wickedly mean; and

3. The woman she worked for was named, "Lizzie" (I'll never forget my grandmother searching her memory for the name with an unfamiliar look of disgust on her face and how she exclaimed with deep seeded contempt, "Lizzy" as if it was a bad word. I don't believe I had ever seen my grandmother dislike someone so much let alone actually say so.).

Sometime after my grandma died I was researching Hannah Nelson and immigrant list for Boston the years my ancestor would have arrived. I forget the year but with ancestry.com and internet query at the time I conducted the research (maybe 6-7 years ago) I was satisfied I located her and the year she arrived. Given that year and my further research of Hannah Nelson, Lizzie Borden popped up. I don't know why I was shocked when I started putting pieces together because my grandmother did mention the employee was aquitted for murder. I didn't realize what a big deal that would have been in those days. I don't know if grandma knew exactly who "Lizzie" was. I just didn't put much thought into her either because I was just thinking about learning more about my great great grandmother.

The things that struck me as true when reading some of the things concerning Hannah and Lizzie were as follows:

1. It was said somewhere that someone believed the dog's name "Lord Nelson" was a jeer at her housekeeper, which yeah it hits me like if Hannah would have been a male and hooked up with the help she wouldn't have been disowned being a lord and all.

2. Given how nasty Lizzy was I'm sure she took great delight in having royalty? Or someone with such status as her servant. I also think that my great great grandmother would have felt like she had more self worth living in that upper class surroundings.

3. So in the Letter where Lizzy seems to be addressing Hannah's life being thrown away. It seems obvious the statement would be in regards to Hannah being nearly literally thrown away by her family. Although I did see that the term could also be referring to a man leaving a woman or something like that which is obviously also what happened in this fact pattern as Hanna's stable boy left her on her own with a daughter.

Anyways, I wish I had more time to gather and organize the exact dates and locations. I hope I don't sound like a complete loon. I just wanted to share this information because I feel responsible as the only surviving relative that has this knowledge.

I can get more information on the castle island from my family if there is any interest. I just really don't know where to share something like this or what I should do to verify it. I just can't imagine there were two women named Lizzie who were aquitted of murder during that time and place. My grandmother wouldn't have made something like that up either. It was like she needed to share it before she died and/or she didn't need to hide it amore.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

That is very interesting family history. Did your grandma share any specifics about Lizzie’s ‘nastiness’?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Lizzie's dog's name was Royal Nelson and not Lord Nelson.

In Lizzie's time it was popular to name dogs with surnames of people—those you knew, friends or relatives.

It is most certainly that Lizzie named her dog after her loving house domestic, Hannah Nelson, as she did with one of her other dogs, Laddie Miller, named after Ellen Miller, another of Lizzie's domestics. I'm not certain and nor it is common knowledge who her third pup, Donald Stuart, was named after.

Also, Hannah Nelson had no children and was not believed to have ever been married. Nelson was her birth name.

Her grave site is in Rhode Island, at the Little Neck Cemetery in Riverside, R.I. which is roughly twenty five miles from where I live, and sixteen miles from Maplecorft where Lizzie and Hannah lived. The marker sits all by itself with the only inscription being her name. In the same plot, which is believed to have been purchased by Hannah's brother, Edward Nelson, there are a couple of children with very small markers with inscriptions that have almost faded with the ravages of time. I believe this was Edward Nelson's children. Two of them. If I am not mistaken, they died a couple of weeks apart from each other.

Lizzie Borden and Hannah Nelson had a loving relationship. Though it can't be proven, Borden Scholars believe that Lizzie probably paid for the somewhat expensive if not impressive grave marker, since Hannah's brother and wife were of very modest means, and who themselves and their children never possessed as nice a tomb stone as Hannah's. Also written into Hannah's stone in very large lettering is the word, "Sister". Though some believe that this is probably reference made as to her brother, Edward, there's is also a good chance that Lizzie herself had the inscription carved into the stone, describing how she saw and felt for Hannah. Much of this is speculation, but from what history we know of "Maplecorft Lizzie," it is speculation bolstered by reputable likelihood.

:study:
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Mb, thanks for the in-depth info! Did Hannah died before her brother?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes she did.

Very sad story.

Hannah was taking care of her brother's kids who were seriously sick with a chronic colitis of sorts.

Edward Nelson's two children died weeks from each other, followed quickly by Hannah.

The diagnosis for the children's death was different from Hannah's, but with similar results, and indeed may have been the same cause or illness.

Hannah died of dysentary.

The children of Acute Ileocolitis, which shares the same consequence and corollary.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

That really is a very tragic story
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Hannah B. (Bostrom) Nelson, was born Aug. 24, 1870 in Sweden. Her birthplace may have been Helsingborg, which is Sweden’s closest point to Denmark.

A Hanna Nelson, age 18, servant, place of origin Denmark, arrived in New York on “the Republic” on May 24, 1886; Bridget Sullivan was also a passenger. While it can’t be confirmed that this is Hannah B. Nelson, it’s an interesting coincidence nonetheless.

Another ship manifest records Hanna B. Nelson, age 26, single, servant, last residence Helsingborg, Sweden, arriving in New York aboard “the Campania” on Nov. 6, 1897, final destination: Boston. The manifest notes that she had resided in the U.S. between 1887-1897.

On the same manifest was Samuel Person, age 30, widow, machinist, last residence Helsingborg, Sweden, final destination: Boston. The manifest notes that he had resided in the U.S. between 1886-1897.

On Oct. 29, 1898, Hannah B. Nelson, b. Sweden, age 28, residence 270 Bank, Fall River, domestic, parents: Phar Nelson & Phernilla Bostron (sic) married Samuel Pearson (i.e. Persson), b. Sweden, age 31, widow, machinist, residence Brockton, MA. The marriage record for The First Lutheran Church notes her name as “Johanna.”

Samuel’s first wife was Petronella Peterson who died in June 24, 1897 in Brockton, by whom he had one child, Syster/Sister Emma Pearson, b. 1895.

Samuel, Hannah & Syster Pearson are enumerated in the 1900 census living in Brockton. Samuel's name is also spelled "Persson" in the city directory.

The marriage was a brief one.

The Fall River Globe, June 5, 1907: “The case of Johanna B. Pearson vs Samuel Pearson was heard. Warren A. Swift of Taunton appearing for the libellant. Mrs. Pearson, who now lives in Fall River, gave the date of her marriage as October 1898 and said the ceremony was performed in Brockton. Her husband deserted her there In June 1900, and she went to Providence to live. While she was there, her husband called upon her and said that he had decided to leave her for good. She asked him to live with her again, but he refused and went to Minneapolis Minn, leaving her to provide for herself. Mrs. Slgrle Wilson of Providence said that after Pearson's desertion, Mrs Pearson went to live with her and Mr and Mrs Pearson never lived together again. A decree nisi was granted.”

Fall River Evening News, June 7, 1907:  "In the petition of Johanna B Pearson vs Samuel Pearson in which Warren A. Swift Esq appeared for the petitioner. Mrs Pearson testified that she was married on Oct. 9,1898 in Brockton and separated from her husband bv his desertion of her on June 9 1900. She then came to this city where she now lives. She had seen her husband but once since he went away but received her things back and a letter from him, and a few days later, he called to see her and she offered to go with him, but he said he was tired of her. The llilbellant said she had since heard that her husband was in Minneapolis, Minn. She wrote to him there but received no reply, the letter being returned to her as uncalled for. A neighbor of Mrs. Pearson testified to not having seen her husband in Fall River since the separation. Mrs Sigrie Wilson of Providence testified in a similar vein. The divorce was granted".

If Johanna/Hannah Nelson Pearson was Lizzie’s beloved housekeeper, she likely reverted to her maiden name, Nelson, before being hired at Maplecroft in 1903.

Hannah became ill in 1908 and was being treated at Rhode Island Hospital. Lizzie wrote an inquiry as to Hannah’s condition and received the following reply from the hospital’s assistant superintendent:

July 2, 1908
Miss Lizbeth A. Borden
306 French St., Fall River, Mass

Dear Madam: Your letter of June 30 in regard to Hannah B. Nelson was duly received, and I regret to state that she is very ill and we can not tell for a few days yet whether she will recover or not. Everything possible is being done for her and we hope that she will pull through, although there is but a slight chance of her doing so.

Hannah died on July 3, 1908. Her death certificate records her usual residence as Fall River; occupation: housekeeper; parents Pli & Philomena; informant: brother Edwin or Edward...burial Riverside, R.I. (crossed out), buried E. Providence.

Fall River. The Fall River Globe, Aug. 8, 1908: Probate Court:...Administration Granted... Charles Nelson, Brockton, estate of Hannah B Nelson, Fall River.

Samuel’s daughter, Syster, was placed in the custody of his brother, Ludwig. She appears with Ludwig’s family in the 1910 census.

After Hannah’s death, Lizzie wrote a letter to her dear friend, Mrs. Per Ture Eugene Thelen, née Amanda Persson. Amanda was a Swedish immigrant and former domestic for Charles M. Horton on Locust St. Lizzie apparently met Amanda through Hannah, who were acquainted. It may also be relevant that Amanda’s maiden name, Persson, suggests a possible connection to Samuel.

Lizzie’s wrote “...no one knows how I miss my Hannah. And no one can or will miss her all our lives as you and I will. I cannot see why God could not have spared her to us. We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away.”

Did Lizzie, knowing Hannah’s marital history, imply that Hannah threw her life away on a brief, loveless marriage that took nine years to dissolve?

Samuel Pearson clearly didn’t love or want Hannah, but Lizzie certainly did.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

"Did Lizzie, knowing Hannah’s marital history, imply that Hannah threw her life away on a brief, loveless marriage that took nine years to dissolve?"

I meant to say, "Did Lizzie, knowing Hannah's marital history, imply that Samuel threw Hannah's life away..."

:oops: