Bridget & The Windows, Again

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Bridget & The Windows, Again

Post by Kat »

Arrgh! Bridget-speak.
What does she mean about raising the windows?
Isn't the window closed to wash it?
And how does she have an open window, or "UP", as is described, inside while washing it?
Please be explicitly descriptive or I will be asking a lot of questions. :smile:

Preliminary
Bridget

Q. After you finished rinsing the windows, what did you do?
A. I commenced to wash the sitting room windows inside.

Q. You came in at the kitchen and went into the sitting room?
A. Yes Sir, I got water and cloths to get ready to wash them?

Q. Was you also going to just rub over the outside too with your cloth?
A. No Sir.

Q. You finished washing outside with the brush, and rinsing them with the dipper?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. You went into the sitting room, did you raise both windows there?
A. As I was washing them.

Q. Did you raise both at once?

Page 73

A. First one and then the other.

Q. How many windows had you washed before you heard anything at the front door?
A. I had the upper part washed of one of them.

Q. Was that the one nearest the kitchen or parlor?
A. The one nearest to the hall.

Q. That window was up, was it not?
A. Yes Sir.
sguthmann

raising of the windows

Post by sguthmann »

My guess is that she washed the top pane of glass first (requiring the window to be shut), then as soon as it was washed and dried, she raised the bottom pane - which would open the window - and finished washing and drying the bottom pane. (I know if I was washing windows on a hot day without the benefits of A/C, I wouldn't want a window shut any longer than it had to be!)

The way I read it, when Bridget hears Andrew at the front door, she's gotten the upper portion of one sitting room window washed and dried, and she has opened it back up as she finishes up with the bottom pane of glass.

Having said that, one other possibility occurred to me...perhaps she's referring to blinds or draperies that would have to be "raised" in order to get access to the glass? Maybe "raise the window" refers to raising the blinds or drapes?
sguthmann

raising of the windows

Post by sguthmann »

My guess is that she washed the top pane of glass first (requiring the window to be shut), then as soon as it was washed and dried, she raised the bottom pane - which would open the window - and finished washing and drying the bottom pane. (I know if I was washing windows on a hot day without the benefits of A/C, I wouldn't want a window shut any longer than it had to be!)

The way I read it, when Bridget hears Andrew at the front door, she's gotten the upper portion of one sitting room window washed and dried, and she has opened it back up as she finishes up with the bottom pane of glass.

Having said that, one other possibility occurred to me...perhaps she's referring to blinds or draperies that would have to be "raised" in order to get access to the glass? Maybe "raise the window" refers to raising the blinds or drapes?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh good! You accidentally answered twice! Now that's explicit! (or thorough).
OK, if I understand, Bridget is already on a ladder so she will be raising the lower portion on the window up to the height she is already which will keep her from having to come down the ladder first?
I thought this might save steps, but I can't see that it does, because then right away she will be coming down the ladder anyway to move it to the next window. :?:
I'm surprised the questioner knows what she's describing because I sometimes don't!

Thanks, BTW.
Do others concur?
Anyone washed any windows lately?
Susan

Post by Susan »

It sounds to me as if the main thing the questioner was trying to get was did Bridget open any windows and leave them open (up) after cleaning them.

My thought is that if Bridget was on a stepladder, there may not have been anywhere to put her container of water. She may have had to go up and down that ladder to rinse her cloth. Once done with the upper portion of the window and with Bridget on the floor again, it would be easier to raise (open) the lower sash and bring it up to eye level to clean. That way Bridget could view how clean it was and no stooping to clean the lower portions of the glass. Kat, do you have those old type double hung windows in your house or sliders? :roll:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

So the ladder isn't any part of it- it's just whether the window was open or shut?
My windows have a top and bottom and raise from the bottom only. There are screens on the outside.

I never open a window to clean the bottom part. I just clean it the way it is already: closed.
sguthmann

thank goodness for AC!

Post by sguthmann »

I agree, Susan, the main point the questioner was after was if she opened any windows or not, and which windows were open at what times. I read it that she cleaned the top portion first, then as soon as she was done with that part she opened up the bottom portion of the window as she cleaned it (because who'd want those windows shut any longer than they had to be, right?).

Having never been to the house, I guess I don't know how high the windows are from the floor.

Now I'm curious...what's with all the questions on the windows Kat? Any particular reason?
Susan

Post by Susan »

I guess it would depend on how tall those windows are in the Borden home and how tall that stepladder Bridget used that day. I picture the ladder as being one of those small, three step type that are good for kitchen use to get into upper cabinets. Its hard to tell from this photo of the sitting room with the windows covered as they are, but, they appear to go down quite low to the floor. Maybe Bridget didn't want to kneel or stoop to clean the glass if they are that low? :roll:

And yes, Bridget may have wanted those windows open ASAP as she cleaned them, it sounds like hot, sweaty work to be doing when it is warm out.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Susan

Post by Susan »

I just finished reading Radin a short while ago, its one of the first books I had read years ago about Lizzie and had forgotten that he has Bridget as a potential culprit of the murders. I personally have never entertained the idea of Bridget as the murderer very seriously, but, his argument for her guilt is compelling. Radin's idea is that Bridget has a missing half hour or so in her testimony in the morning during which, he surmises, that Mrs. Borden was killed. I wanted to try and dissect his theory though it seems quite a daunting task to take on alone. Does anyone else have Radin and would they be willing to join in? :roll:

First off is the bit about John Morse hearing Mrs. Borden give Bridget the order to wash the windows at breakfast the morning of the murders.

John Morse's Inquest testimony, page 102:

Q. Did you take notice what the servant girl was doing when you went out?
A. I don't know. I heard Mrs. Borden tell her at breakfast time, if it was so she could, she would like for her to wash the windows.

And on page 103:

Q. How came Mrs. Borden to speak to the servant girl at the breakfast table?
A. I don't know, I suppose it came into her mind.

Q. The servant girl did not eat with you?
A. No Sir.

Q. Was she in the room with there?
A. In and out of the room, the door was open.

Q. Into the kitchen. Had she begun to was the windows when you went away?
A. I could not tell you that.

Q. Did you see her when you went out through the kitchen?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. What did she appear to be doing then?
A. I did not notice.

So, according to Morse, Mrs. Borden asked Bridget to wash the windows sometime between 7:20 and when they had finished breakfast.

Bridget's Preliminary testimony states differently about the time she got the orders, page 10:

Q. When you came back, did you see Mrs. Borden?
A. No Sir.
Q. Did you see her after you came back?
A. Not until nine o’clock.
Q. When you went out in the back yard, was it before Mr. Morse went off?
A. No Sir, after he went off.
Q. How soon after he went off?
A. Maybe ten or five minutes; I cannot tell.
Q. When you came back again, where did you go then?
A. Into the kitchen.
Q. Where did you see Mrs. Borden after that?
A. After washing my dishes.
Q. Did you wash your dishes before you went out in the yard sick, or after you came back?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. When you saw Mrs. Borden, where did you see her?
A. In the dining room, dusting. She wanted to know if I had anything particular to do that day. I told her no. Did she want anything? Yes, she said she wanted the windows washed. I asked her how. She said on both sides, inside and outside; they were very dirty.
Q. Did you have any usual time to wash the windows?
A. No Sir.
Q. How often did you use to wash them?
A. Sometimes once a month, and probably twice a month.

Now, unless Morse had sneaked back into the house around nine, there is no way that he could have heard anything about Bridget washing windows. How would he know that she was asked to do them unless he actually heard the order? Who is telling the truth about when the orders were given? :roll:
diana

Post by diana »

That contrary evidence between Morse and the maid about the window washing has always bothered me, too.

There are non-sinister interpretations, I guess.

If Morse is right, and Abby did ask Bridget at breakfast -- Bridget may have remembered incorrectly when she testified Abby's instructions were given later than they were. Or Abby may have told Bridget twice -- the first time at breakfast -- with a reminder later -- and Bridget just remembered the reminder and not the original request.

That's not the only time Bridget's testimony about the window washing is in opposition to that of another witness, however. Bridget claims she didn't have a usual time to wash the windows but did them "sometimes once a month, and probably twice a month" (Preliminary Hearing, 181) -- but Adelaide Churchill says Bridget usually did the windows every Thursday. (Inquest, 127)

Why would Bridget make herself out to be less industrious than she was -- or, alternately, why would Mrs. C. make her out to be more industrious than she was?
Allen

Post by Allen »

I've always wondered if Bridget didn't take a nap on the morning of August 4, 1892 because it was customary for her to go up and nap or relax in her room whenever she had some time between chores. Such as in between meals after all of her normal cleaning and cooking had been done. Things were not as easy as they are today, even preparing the meals and doing the dishes were much more difficult tasks. You had to heat and fill the water in the sink..etc. I'd think that after a day of even what were supposed to be simple chores you'd be worn out. Add the fact that she had been sick for most of the morning, and I can see where she may naturally have wanted to retire to her room for awhile before the next meal. I think I may have found a hint as to the answer in her testimony.

Trial testimony of Bridget Sullivan page 199:

Q. Did you go to your room at all on the Wednesday afternoon after you finished your ironing?
A.Yes, sir.

Q. About what time did you go up to the room then?
A. I should say quarter to five or half past four; I cannot tell.

Q. What time did you come down again?
A. About half past five as far as I remember. I cannot exactly tell.

Q. Do you remember how you left the screen door when you went up?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. How was it?
A. The screen door was hooked.

Q. The hook was inside, I believe?
A.Yes, sir.

Q. Did you get supper on the Wednesday night?
A. Yes, sir.

She testified also that she left the house at about seven o'clock to visit with a friend who lived on Third Street. The path she claims they took confuses me a bit, it seems a bit convoluted.

page 201:

Q. What time did you go and what time did you return on Wednesday evening?
A. I guess I got out about seven o'clock on Wednesday evening and I went down second street, called for a friend of mine on Third street we went down Main street and up Morgan street and turned up Third street to my friend's on Third street.

Q. If you can tell me about what time you got home, I would like to have you?
A. I think about five minutes past ten.

What I have realized is how close this route taken by Bridget would bring her to Pearl street, where John Eagan lived. This is the man who said he drove up and down Second street several times the day of the murders, and the father in law of Ellen Eagan who was vomiting in the Kelly yard very near the time of Andrew's death.

She said the lamp was left lit for her in the kitchen, and that no other lamps were left lit in any other part of the house. This leaves some questions in my mind.They customarily left a lamp burning for her, and she had a key to the back door to get in. Did she have to let anyone know when she had come back home?

Who was the friend she went to see? And what is with this route she said she took? I'm trying to trace it on a map and it doesn't make sense to me. I have even tried getting driving directions on switchboard.com. She states in her testimoney 'we went up Third street.' I can take this in the context that she met up with a friend on Third street, and they took this convoluted route back to Third street to meet another friend, or I could take this to mean Lizzie was with her as Lizzie also went out that evening?
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Susan

Post by Susan »

Radin's theory sounds to me like Abby was hounding Bridget about cleaning "those" windows, like she may have asked Bridget to do them before Thursday. Which enrages Bridget enough to kill Abby.

But, you are right, Diana, I don't think Morse had any sinister intentions or anything to gain by telling that Abby had asked Bridget earlier in the morning to wash the windows. If Abby mentioned it casually, I can see Bridget pretending not to hear it, who would want to wash windows in the heat and feeling queasy on top of it? She couldn't directly ignore an command or wish given by her mistress, could she? But, if it was a direct order from Abby and Morse and Andrew heard it, why would Bridget not remember? What could she gain by lying about it?

Melissa, I was looking at a Yahoo map of Fall River, I don't know if the streets were the same in 1892? Anyway, maybe Bridget walked down Second Street towards downtown, turned down Spring Street to get to the tail end of Third Street. Met her friend, I assume a girlfriend, probably walked back up Spring Street to Main Street and maybe they window shopped or the like until they got to Morgan Street. Turned up Morgan to Third Street and stopped in at another friend's house to spend the evening.

Unless it was just one and the same friend and they just went out for a walk around. But, Bridget wasn't clear as to how she got over to Third Street to meet up with this friend, it would be helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

" Radin's idea is that Bridget has a missing half hour or so in her testimony in the morning during which, he surmises, that Mrs. Borden was killed."
--Susan

I keep thinking that if Bridget has missing time (wihich she does) then so has Lizzie missing time. I think about 20 minutes are missing.

Spring Street did not go thru to Third in 1892. It stopped at Second. You're right, Susan, when you questioned whether the streets are the same now as then.
Kat

Post by Kat »

"Lizzie was with her[Bridget] as Lizzie also went out that evening?"
--Allen

I had never heard that theorized- interesting.
Lizzie actually has missing time Wednesday evening, which no one seems to care about. Alice says when she left- about 9 or 9:05 I think? And Morse has her coming in around 9:20. Lizzie says differently.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Pearl Street is on the west side of Main Street isn't it? The opposite direction from Third?
Susan

Post by Susan »

Kat @ Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:14 am wrote:
" Radin's idea is that Bridget has a missing half hour or so in her testimony in the morning during which, he surmises, that Mrs. Borden was killed."
--Susan

I keep thinking that if Bridget has missing time (wihich she does) then so has Lizzie missing time. I think about 20 minutes are missing.

Spring Street did not go thru to Third in 1892. It stopped at Second. You're right, Susan, when you questioned whether the streets are the same now as then.
Thanks, Kat. So, possibly would it have been Rodman Street that would have been the closest for Bridget to scoot over to Third? Did Bridget have legal counsel at this point? Perhaps she was told that she need not tell all, that she could be vague with her answers unless specifically asked otherwise?

And yes, I believe you are right about Lizzie missing time. I've never really pulled apart Bridget's timeline and such, I'd like to see what we can come up with, if it jibes with Radin's findings at all. :smile:
Allen

Post by Allen »

Allen @ Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:04 am wrote:
page 201:

Q. What time did you go and what time did you return on Wednesday evening?
A. I guess I got out about seven o'clock on Wednesday evening and I went down second street, called for a friend of mine on Third street we went down Main street and up Morgan street and turned up Third street to my friend's on Third street.

Q. If you can tell me about what time you got home, I would like to have you?
A. I think about five minutes past ten.

I'm not sure I cannot find the map of Fall River in 1892 which shows all of these streets included in Bridgets route clearly. But she states that she reached the house on Third street, then she and who ever went from Third Street down Main Street, then up Morgan Street, and back to Third Street. Morgan Street, today at least, would be a direct route between Third Street and Second street. But where does Main Street come in? I've been trying to keep in mind that Spring Street did not go through to Third at that time. But I've no way of knowing how differently the other streets run in 1892 from this map.

So here's what I've come up with just based on the premise that Spring Street didn't go all the way through to Third, and not really knowing if any other streets have changed since that time.

She started out on Second Street, followed that to Rodman Street and down to Third. Then goes back up Rodman Street to Main Street, and down Morgan Street back to Third. Sorry the map is so big. I tried to make it smaller but then the names of the Streets were hard to read. My lines aren't exactly drawn with a ruler either :smile: . This is also just a general idea, as there are many possible variations for her route.

What woman goes out window shopping in the middle of the night in victorian times? Would the windows even be lit well enough to see anything?
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Allen

Post by Allen »

She says she left about seven, which would mean it was still light out enough to do some window shopping. But how well were the shop windows lighted when it was dark, or near dusk? And was it already dark by the time she set out on this route?
Susan

Post by Susan »

I guess it would all depend on how late the shops stayed open in Fall River in the 1890s. I imagine they would all have some form of lighting whether kerosene lamps, or gas lamps or gasoliers (those half gas/half electric lights) or electric lighting. Anyhoo, it was just a suggestion for Bridget and her friend to go down to Main Street, why take the long way around if they were just possibly going to the other end of Third Street? I can't think of anything else that would be a draw to Main Street unless they just wanted to promenade, to see and be seen? :roll:

While doing a search to see what I could find out about Fall River shops in the 1890s, I found this site, don't know if anyone has linked to it before? It has the most wonderful pics of Fall River in Lizzie's day to better appreciate where she lived.

Heres one of the Central Congregational Church to give you an idea of the quality of the photos:

And here is the link to the site:

http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/fallriver.htm
Kat

Post by Kat »

Ah yes! The Keeley Library site! I've been promoting that lately!
You're reading my mind! :smile:
If one goes to "articles" there one can find the rare old books on Fall River and its history- including Phillips History of Fall River which costs a bundle for the originals! It's there as a download.
Also, if you have Photoshop, I've discovered if you load one of these yellow post cards you can fix the color to natural by using the "autolevels" function.
For some of you, here is info on that: In Photoshop, in the controls at the top there is "Images."
Under "Images" there is "Adjust." Under "Adjust" click on "Autolevels." It will correct that tint automatically. And then "save as" in the File function. It fixes all the yellow! Ta-Da!

BTW: As to Bridget's route: I agree she was promenading on Main Street with a friend. So it looks like her route was probably Second to Borden, east to Third, then back down Borden to Main. Then all the way south on Main to Morgan, and then east again on Morgan back to Third.
It does depend on which part of Third her friend was at tho....
That would give them the most exposure to Main.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is an 1891 piece of map.
I hear what you're saying about size vs. readability! :smile:

please click on the picture to make it bigger.
snokkums

bridget and the windows again

Post by snokkums »

I never thought about briget having missing time, and going up to kill Mrs Borden. I t makes me wander too. Seems like Mrs. Borden was hounding her to do the windows. But what's his theory on Bridget killing Mr. Borden? I know Lizzie had some missing time (about 20 minutes). Maybe they were "in it" together?
Susan @ Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:31 pm wrote:I just finished reading Radin a short while ago, its one of the first books I had read years ago about Lizzie and had forgotten that he has Bridget as a potential culprit of the murders. I personally have never entertained the idea of Bridget as the murderer very seriously, but, his argument for her guilt is compelling. Radin's idea is that Bridget has a missing half hour or so in her testimony in the morning during which, he surmises, that Mrs. Borden was killed. I wanted to try and dissect his theory though it seems quite a daunting task to take on alone. Does anyone else have Radin and would they be willing to join in? :roll:

First off is the bit about John Morse hearing Mrs. Borden give Bridget the order to wash the windows at breakfast the morning of the murders.

John Morse's Inquest testimony, page 102:

Q. Did you take notice what the servant girl was doing when you went out?
A. I don't know. I heard Mrs. Borden tell her at breakfast time, if it was so she could, she would like for her to wash the windows.

And on page 103:

Q. How came Mrs. Borden to speak to the servant girl at the breakfast table?
A. I don't know, I suppose it came into her mind.

Q. The servant girl did not eat with you?
A. No Sir.

Q. Was she in the room with there?
A. In and out of the room, the door was open.

Q. Into the kitchen. Had she begun to was the windows when you went away?
A. I could not tell you that.

Q. Did you see her when you went out through the kitchen?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. What did she appear to be doing then?
A. I did not notice.

So, according to Morse, Mrs. Borden asked Bridget to wash the windows sometime between 7:20 and when they had finished breakfast.

Bridget's Preliminary testimony states differently about the time she got the orders, page 10:

Q. When you came back, did you see Mrs. Borden?
A. No Sir.
Q. Did you see her after you came back?
A. Not until nine o’clock.
Q. When you went out in the back yard, was it before Mr. Morse went off?
A. No Sir, after he went off.
Q. How soon after he went off?
A. Maybe ten or five minutes; I cannot tell.
Q. When you came back again, where did you go then?
A. Into the kitchen.
Q. Where did you see Mrs. Borden after that?
A. After washing my dishes.
Q. Did you wash your dishes before you went out in the yard sick, or after you came back?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. When you saw Mrs. Borden, where did you see her?
A. In the dining room, dusting. She wanted to know if I had anything particular to do that day. I told her no. Did she want anything? Yes, she said she wanted the windows washed. I asked her how. She said on both sides, inside and outside; they were very dirty.
Q. Did you have any usual time to wash the windows?
A. No Sir.
Q. How often did you use to wash them?
A. Sometimes once a month, and probably twice a month.

Now, unless Morse had sneaked back into the house around nine, there is no way that he could have heard anything about Bridget washing windows. How would he know that she was asked to do them unless he actually heard the order? Who is telling the truth about when the orders were given? :roll:
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
snokkums

Re: Bridget & The Windows, Again

Post by snokkums »

Maybe she was washing the window sills and panes .
Kat @ Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:58 pm wrote:Arrgh! Bridget-speak.
What does she mean about raising the windows?
Isn't the window closed to wash it?
And how does she have an open window, or "UP", as is described, inside while washing it?
Please be explicitly descriptive or I will be asking a lot of questions. :smile:

Preliminary
Bridget

Q. After you finished rinsing the windows, what did you do?
A. I commenced to wash the sitting room windows inside.

Q. You came in at the kitchen and went into the sitting room?
A. Yes Sir, I got water and cloths to get ready to wash them?

Q. Was you also going to just rub over the outside too with your cloth?
A. No Sir.

Q. You finished washing outside with the brush, and rinsing them with the dipper?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. You went into the sitting room, did you raise both windows there?
A. As I was washing them.

Q. Did you raise both at once?

Page 73

A. First one and then the other.

Q. How many windows had you washed before you heard anything at the front door?
A. I had the upper part washed of one of them.

Q. Was that the one nearest the kitchen or parlor?
A. The one nearest to the hall.

Q. That window was up, was it not?
A. Yes Sir.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thats cool that you can get rid of the yellow like that, Kat, I don't have photoshop to do it in though. Thats a very interesting site, chockfull of Fall River stuff!

Robin, Radin's theory on Bridget killing Andrew is because he knew of the tension between Abby and Bridget with those windows, possibly that they had an argument about them. So, if Abby was found dead by Andrew, he would know that it was Bridget who killed her. Andrew had to be killed so he wouldn't know. :roll:
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

i think susan asked at one point about how high the windows were on the inside. well, i know now. they are not hard to reach. i could clean them thoroughly without a step ladder inside of 10 minutes. i may be taller than bridget, but i'm not over 5' 7".

i still don't understand how she managed the outside of the windows, though, without a ladder. now, that is high. i can't see how she reached the upper window with a dipper of water. maybe i still don't understand her method.

but it's odd. i would need a ladder outside -- i would not need one inside.

look closely at radin's comments on his timeline about outside vs. inside. he says bridget washed the same amount inside as out -- that isn't really true.

i'm investigating radin too. there is no doubt about one thing -- that where bridget and lizzie differ is when the murders happened. i'll just keep going over it and over it.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Eugene. Outside the house Bridget used a brush attached to a pole to scrub the windows. Maybe Bridget was like Lizzie's height, like 5' 4", she might need a slight step up to reach the tops of the windows indoors. Though it doesn't sound as though I would have any problems at 5' 9".

Yes, you are right, I noticed that too about cleaning the same amount of windows inside and outside, its not true. Bridget did the exterior of the parlor windows, but, not the interiors, so, thats 3 windows less to do. Still can't figure out why she skipped the kitchen and sink room windows though? I think that Radin also didn't take into account that the exterior of the windows were exposed to the outdoors, dust and dirt and rain and such. So, the interiors were much cleaner and would take less time to wipe down, I think. :roll:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I did a Bridget timeline:
http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Crime ... ridget.htm

and a Lizzie timeline:
http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Crime ... Lizzie.htm

At the website.
From Lizzie's inquest and from Bridget's preliminary hearing testimony.
Allen

Post by Allen »

We've established that fact that Bridget was with a friend (or Lizzie) the night before the murders. What I'm wondering now is why was Bridget so specific about the route she took but not who she was walking with? According to Rebello on page 83, the Frank E. Sargent Dry Goods Co. was located at 90 North Main Street until 1893. He also states that the walking time from the house on Second Street to Sargent's is about 16 minutes and 48 seconds round trip. Did Bridget pass this store on her trip the night before? Were there any advertisements in the windows which announced such a sale? Susan stated that Bridget may have been window shopping, which I for some reason have a hard time believing. But if she were would there have been a sign? I know that a Sargent's newspaper advertisement was posted in another thread, but I cannot remember which one. I also know that store is not along the route Bridget claims she took. Did anyone verify her story?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Sargents was way far away up Main Street.
Does Bridget need verifying Wednesday?
I call it promenading- which is pretend window-shopping.
It's to see and be seen.
We've joked before about Bridget and a tavern that evening being why she had a headache the next morning... :roll:

Bridget didn't need to see a sale sign or see a newspaper ad- Lizzie did. Unless you are getting at Bridget lying that Lizzie spoke to her?

I was wondering how late some businesses might have stayed open, and at the inquest, Eli Bence mentions time:

A...We were busy with prescriptions at the time, I was alone at the time in the shop. About somewhere around eight o'clock Officer Doherty and Officer Harrington came up.
Q. Did you afterwards go to the house?
A. I did, yes sir.
Q. When was that?
A. I should say between eight and nine o'clock.
Q. What day was that?
A. That was the fourth, the day of the murder.
Q. When did you go to the house?
A. Eight o'clock in the evening after the murder.
Q. That same evening?
A. Yes Sir.

--I wonder if he closed up shop himself before going off with the police Thursday?
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:41 am wrote:
Bridget didn't need to see a sale sign or see a newspaper ad- Lizzie did. Unless you are getting at Bridget lying that Lizzie spoke to her?
That's exactly what I'm getting at. I'm not quite sure what a nineteenth century Irish maid with only a few dresses and personal belongings to her name would be doing 'promenading' anywhere. When I think of it in that context I think of the upper crust or the rich. The one's who really think they are impressing someone by 'seeing and being seen.' I just don't see a point to it at all. And if one was going to 'promenade' I would think it would be done at a proper hour when it was more likely the streets were teaming with people to be seen by. Why wait until the evening hours?

Does Bridget need verifying? Uncle John's alibi was checked. Everyone wanted to know where Lizzie was. Why not verify Bridget's story?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, since the servants worked all day and the mill workers also may have too, evening might be the time in which the workers took over the streets.
They would do what the gentry do- to see and be seen- it might be the only chance they had to meet new people or find a beau.
Staying open late might give the merchants and the working class a chance to catch up with shopping etc.
How about did they verify Bridget's male friend from out-of-town, which is implied?
I've always wondered about that.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

That's one angle I didn't think about either. That maybe bridget's friend did it, if she did have a friend. You know, back then servants worked very hard, she might not have had time to go to the streets with her friend.