Morse's alibis

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Robert Harry

Morse's alibis

Post by Robert Harry »

During my recent stay at 92 Second Street, someone opined that John Morse gave alibis that were too perfect. I have heard about this also in the past on this forum. For example, it is stated that Morse remembered the exact number of the streetcar he rode on, and also the conductor's number. A guest in the house added that Morse took the trouble of introducing himself to six Irish priests he met on the streetcar, and went to the trouble of explaining his itinerary to them. I searched the inquest and trial testimonies and found no such explanations by Morse. What is the source of such speculation, and did Morse offer alibis that were "too perfect?" In the testimony, Morse's questioners go out of their way to stop him from explaining too much. To whom did he give such detailed explanations of his whereabouts the morning of the murders?
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Morse doesn't really have an alibi for Abby's murder, only Andrew's. The source for the alibi
must be from newspaper interviews with the police.
I always wondered why they didn't question Morse
more thoroughly at the official inquest and trial.
and then he disappeared, free and clear. What a huge bond that was created there with his neices,
yet he never kept in touch with them?
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Yes, Nancie, that's very curious. When I stayed in the Morse bedroom, it was clear to me how he and Lizzie could have had all the privacy in the world in the front part of that house. What a great place for plotting, planning, discussing in absolute privacy.
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Plus, he could have come to Abby without her
suspecting anything, right there in his room?
She wouldn't have thought anything about her approaching him.
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Yes indeed, he could have "forgotten something" and returned to his room and not be suspect by Abby. I noticed in the testimony that he makes it a point to say that he left the door to the guestroom open and that he never went back upstairs after coming down for breakfast. Could this be part of a coverup? But then, the question remains...what was in it for him?
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I have often wondered just that.... What was in it for JVM? (If he had been a part of the murders)

How did he benefit from the deaths? As far as I can see, he did not. If he had been cooking up a scheme to get his paws on the farm -- he failed.

He did not maintain any kind of a relationship with either Lizzie or Emma. He had moved back East only to return again-- and die in Iowa. He must not have felt any strong attachments to anyone "out east".

He was well regarded in Iowa, called "Uncle John" and had his business advice held to a high degree of credibility in Hastings. It seems he returned to a place where he felt needed, care for and about to live out his days in peace.

If he was involved in the planning and/or the murders I wonder if he reveled in being away from the "drama" that seems to have enveloped the Borden family.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

yeah, you can't quite get away from the fact that the murders happened the morning after he stayed -- in the room he stayed -- that's where it started. and the bed is already made. also it was after he came that lizzie decided to go talk to alice.

have you ever wondered if lizzie was trying to poison them -- and somebody else beat her to the kill -- the quick and effective way? if that's the case, all i can wonder is WHAT WAS IT? what was it that these two people HAD to die?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Evening Standard, Sat., Aug. 6th, 1892:
"Returning, he [Morse] took a street car on which six priests were passengers, three of whom sat on the seat with him. He left the car at the corner of Pleasant and Second streets, and walked direct to Mr. Borden's residence."

Also Sat., Aug. 6th, 1892:
"The conductor of the car yesterday was a "spare," named Whittaker, and the News has been unable to find him to-day, as he would probably remember the circumstance of the six priests and Mr. Morse's riding with him. Mr. Morse's story has, however, been confirmed, so far as the priests being on a car is concerned, by Conductor Kennedy of the car going east, who says he passed the car with the priests on the hill by the Pocasset engine house, about where Mr. Morse took the car, and that he took its time and it was just 22 minutes after 11 o'clock. "
Kat

Post by Kat »

In the video, Case Reopened, Lizzie Borden, Ed McBain, he covers a lot of theories. One scene shows Morse leaving (after the killing of Abby?) and Billy Borden entering the front door and they pass each other in the front hall. So Surreal!

Morse says he left at 8:45 a.m. after last seeing Abby going into the front hall about 8:30. He says he went to the Post Office and sent a piece of mail, a "postal", then walked a mile and a quarter to Weybosset St, arriving about 9:40 (Mrs. Emery's statement of his arrival time, Witness Statements, pg. 29. Morse is asked at inquest if he got to the Emery's around ten and he replied it was earlier than that).
Morse has an alibi by Bridget as she saw him leave. If he turned right around and re-entered to kill Abby, Bridget is lying by ommission.
Kat

Morse's Alibi?

Post by Kat »

William has submitted a news item from the Fall River Daily Globe, August 5th, that I had not seen before. I had read variations, but not this particular item, which he says was written by Porter.
Check it out and see what you-all think:

please click on pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

From William

please click on the picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

From William

please click on the picture
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

The Morse info is interesting. I don't know what opinion I have of him yet. There is something here that bothers me with regard to Emma's return from Fairhaven on Thursday. Morse says that on Wednesday he took the 12:35 train from New Bedford and arrived in Fall River at 1:30. I cannot see why the next day it took Emma so long to get back.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Kat and William! Very interesting read. I wonder about that telephone call that Morse was said to have received. Just a made up story or did he let this actually slip? And who called him? Very intriguing! :eek:
Kat

Post by Kat »

And the Emery's were playing croquet? Yet they had read in the paper of the murder? And were related?
The phone call must not have come to Uncle John at the Emery's. They don't mention a call. And Harry's piece says- what 9% ?- of homes had a telephone in 1904? Something like that. Doesn't sound like they would have one.
Anyway, it seems there was enough time for Morse to receive a call at another site at 11 if he left early...
This is beginning to sound like Brown's theory of a phone call...
Harry

Post by Harry »

Uncle John said that he learned his relatives were visiting from Andrew. I wonder where Andrew heard it from.

What relation to Lizzie and Emma are they? Second cousins? I'm not good at figuring that sort of thing.
Kat

Post by Kat »

We found an Emery about 2 or 3 generations back and probably sideways.
Didn't find an Emery Ourselves- Joe has been looking today.
There is an "Unknown Morse" who supposedly married a Daniel Emery but I've not seen it myself- only heard about it- don't have source.
Steve887788

Re: Morse's alibis

Post by Steve887788 »

I never understood why Uncle John had an alibi(s) ready to whip out at a moments notice either. I mean who remembers oddball things ? For what purpose ? was this his first ride in a horse car ? I have no doubt that he had something to do with the tragedy. I believe he was connected to it and wanted to feather his nest with reasons why he didn't do it. Just in case - maybe he had his alibis on a piece of paper and tucked in his coat, like the Marshall did with Lizzie's arrest warrant until he was ready to use it. But it seems that's where it basically ended. I know he was watched - for what reason, I could not tell you.
:birthdaysmile: