Sloop Mabel F. Swift

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Sloop Mabel F. Swift

Post by nbcatlover »

Here are some interesting references to the yacht Lizzie visited in Marion courtest of the G. W. Blunt White Library at Mystic Seaport :

http://www.mysticseaport.org/library/in ... erList.cfm

Please check out Vessels (under M) and Owners (under A) in the American Yacht Listings 1891. The Mabel F. Swift was built by Jefferson Borden Jr. and in 1890-91, was owned by William H. Rowe and birthed in New York.

Charles W. Anthony is listed as an owner, but has no yacht number by his name. He does have a private signal number.

Interestingly, Benjamin H. Anthony is the yacht owner listed above him. He sailed out of the New Bedford Yacht Club in Padnaram and was editor of the New Bedford Evening Standard. E. Anthony & Sons was the publishing company founded by Benjamin's father. It was located on Eighth Street in New Bedford. I have not yet determined a relationship, if any, between the two Anthony families.

When Lizzie left Marion and went to New Bedford, staying with the Pool family and later visiting Carrie Pool's sister--Augusta Tripp--in Westport, Benjamin Anthony lived at one end of Madison Street and the Pools at the other end of the same street (about 4 blocks). Carrie Pool, who was suffering with phthesis (consumption) and died in 1893, was a clerk at E. Anthony & Sons according to New Bedford City Directories.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks, that's interesting!
If you search members "gramma" you may be able to find the tree I posted from gramma's description of the Anthony genealogy. She has the link between Anthonys. I drew it and posted it, maybe a year ago?

You can go to Memberlist, click on gramma, then at her profile, at the top right, click where it says "Find All Posts by gramma."
If you start reading the few lines which introduce each post, you might find it that way- or wait for Diana or Susan to come up with the link! :smile:

I'm not on my computer and so cannot find my tree.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Kat, all I could find in Gramma's posts tree-wise was for William Borden. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place for David Anthony?

viewtopic.php?t=107&highlight=
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you Susan.
I will check my "User attachment control panel" on my profile page.
There are 10 pages there but it may be in there. I just found that way to search.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is my copy print-out of gramma's research on the Anthony connections between the newspaper people and the meat company people.
I had drawn a tree from this, which I cannot find. You may draw your own. I see relationships better when there is a tree. You may not need one.
I hope this can be seen.
If not, let me know.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Kat--thanks for the info. There are a couple of steps missing in the David Mason Anthony line.

John Anthony (1607-first of these Anthonys in America) m. Susanna Potter; his son Abraham m. Alice Wodell (they had, I believe, 14 children); their son William Anthonm m. Mary Coggeshall (this is where the different Bristol County Anthonys seem to split--they also had 14 children and 11 or 12 of them lived to adulthood).

William and Mary's son John was the second John in the family--the first died in infancy. John was also a twin to Amey Anthony. John m Lydia Luther (sister of Martha and direct descendents of Martin Luther). Their son John Jr. m. Sarah Baker; their son Edward m. Persis Butterworth; their son John m. Maria Bloomfield Davis.

Their son David Mason Anthony (1839-1879) m. Ruth Ann Horton. Charles Wesley Anthony (1838-1898) is his brother (I have no knowledge of him marrying). David and Ruth had three children:

1) Ella Martin Anthony b. 6/19/1861 m. Frank Horton (a pork packer in 1892, and later an electrician) in 1890.

2)David Mason Anthony Jr. b. 6/6/1869--never married.

3. Harold Horton Anthony b. 11/28/1876 m. Caroline Goodwin Cook in 1898. They had a daughter, Ruth m. Ellis Waring.

Excluding the Nova Scotia branch of Anthonys, the genealogy book index lists 37 Charles, 26 Davids, and 3 Harolds--so I will freely confess to any mistakes.

Source: Genealogy of the Anthony Family from 1495 to 1904 (noted as inaccurate) compiled and published by Charles L. Anthony, Sterling, IL, 1904.

David Anthony (1786-1870), the President of Fall River Bank, was also involved in the founding of the cotton mills in Fall River. He had many mutual business associates with Andrew Jackson Borden. He was known as Deacon David Anthony because he was the deacon of the First Congregational Church of Fall River for 40 years (and his good will was a great reason for Andrew to buy a pew). There's a biographical sketch of Deacon Anthony in Hamilton Hurd's History of Bristol County.

Lastly, in this very long post, there is a picture of Benjamin Anthony, the newspaperman, and son of Edmund(the founder of E. Anthony & Sons Publishing) in The New Bedford Yacht Club-a history by Llewellyn Howland III. He is in a group shot and looks to me like a wise guy.

http://www.nbyc.com/book.htm
Kat

Post by Kat »

My tree starts with John Anthony [1708] and Lydia Luther.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

WOW! Cynthia you are GOOD!
You have found the connection to Ruth Waring, one of Mrs Brigham's closest friends. Mrs Brigham called on my behalf when I was in Fall River for the Conference but she could not get her to see me. Loyalty to the end! Please remember Mrs Brigham's maiden name was Cook. I really do miss her spry bounce and smile. I have several letters to my mother which I cherish. She always asked her to be sure and say hello to me.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

I wouldn't doubt for a minute that Lizzie knew David Anthony jr. I'm sure she knew a lot of people. Still, this whole Anthony thing just doesn't make any sense. The more I read the more it becomes clear that IF this guy had wanted to marry Lizzie there doesn't seem to be any reason why Andrew would have objected. David came from a good family. And again, I'm pretty sure Abby would have more than wanted Lizzie to get married and get her out of the house. :lol:

Anyway, to me the hard questions on this whole Anthony thing have yet to be answered:

1. Do you even know if Lizzie was heterosexual?

2. How come none of Lizzie's friends at the time ever mentioned this guy? The press was all over Fall Rivers and they weren't short on gossip so, how come his name never popped up back then? Everyone else was talked about back then
Nance, the teacher guy. How come no David? Not a peep on him.

3. What kind of a guy kills the parents of the women he loves (no real reason given as to WHY he would even do it. ) than leaves her to take the blame and face possible death?
Allen

Post by Allen »

My big question about that has always been the same one DWilly listed as number 3 in his post. If he loved her enough to kill her parents for some as yet undetermined reason...why were they NEVER together after the murders?
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

Cynthia is good, yes indeed!

But, Joe and I and Diana found the link to Waring in the Hatchet October/November, 2004, Vol. 1, Issue 5.

Articles titled:
"What Did Ruby Know?"- Diana Griffiths
"The Real David Anthony: Did Ruby Tell A Fib?"- Joe Carlson
"Impressions of Ruby."- Kat Koorey (Interviewed Dr. Joyce Williams).

Got your Hatchet?
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

gramma--so good to see you post again. I've missed your insights.

I didn't know Mrs. Brigham's maiden name was Cook. Any relation to Charles C.? or a descendent of Hannah Borden Cook?

Here's a photo from August '05 of the Benjamin Anthony house on Madison Street, New Bedford. It was being 'fixed up' at the time.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/ ... 0_0244.jpg