Lizzie's FBI File

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Lizzie's FBI File

Post by nbcatlover »

I read about this file in the Archives, so I went in search of the letter.

This is a very peculiar letter, and the writer seems very strange. I wonder who he was. I thought he was being sarcastic when he said Lizzie had been placed on the "Pedestal of Innocence."

The reference to the man who had an intimate conversation with Lizzie is also of interest. With his prior sarcasm, I wonder if the writer thought this person could prove her guilt?

Lastly, who wrote the FBI knowing there was a file and asking to have it released?

It's an interesting read if you haven't seen it before:

http://foia.fbi.gov/borden/borden.pdf
Harry

Post by Harry »

Susan originally found that there was a file on Lizzie at the FBI. I wrote to them under the Freedom of Information act and they sent me a copy.

I wrote an article on it in the April/May issue of the Hatchet. Mark A. helped and supplied additional information. Mr. Bertolet, the former editor of the LBQ also contributed with his take on the letter.

More questions than answers I'm afraid.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Thanks , Harry. I didn't know about the Hatchet article. I just subscribed. I'll have to look up that issue and read it.

It is a very peculiar letter. Have you gotten much feedback since the article was published? There always seems to be so many unidentified mystery people with Lizzie. My feeling is that people would identify themselves if what they are saying is true.

Very often, I suspect small, petty people of trying to make themselves important and just mucking up the waters.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I didn't know that there was a file on lizzie at the fbi. I mean didn't the fbi get created later?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
joe

Post by joe »

snokkums @ Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:20 am wrote:I didn't know that there was a file on lizzie at the fbi. I mean didn't the fbi get created later?
Yep, you are correct about the FBI. The letter was written by a third party to Mr. Hoover, dated April 4, 1946. The url is http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/borden.htm
Joe
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Just found that article I went to the website and drew up the letter. OK I am not cracking up here.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Harry--please clarify.

Was your article in April/May 2005? If so, I seem to keep missing it. Or was it 2004? I have had the opportunity (financially) to buy the back editions yet.

Was there speculation on who the man at her bedside was? In 1927, I could only think of Charles Cook or Mr. Terry.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Cynthia, it was the April/May 2004 issue.

Mr. Bertolet, who gave me pernission to quote him in regard to the letter, made a number of points.

"13. - In 1926, when Miss Borden entered Truesdale Hospital to have her gall bladder removed, a man known to the writer, perhaps another Pastor, had a personal and intimate conversation with her, perhaps about her salvation."

I had also speculated on that same possibility and in my closing paragraph wrote:

"Perhaps Lizzie’s visitor was a Pastor. Her funeral service in 1927 was performed by the rector of the Church of the Ascension on Rock Street, the Rev. Edmund C. Cleveland. Lizzie’s burial instructions, which are dated 1919, specify this Pastor as her choice to provide the service and he may have been a visitor to Lizzie’s hospital room while she was sick. To my knowledge, there is no record of Lizzie attending that church. The person who visited Lizzie, though, must at least have a name that would be recognized by Mr. Hoover—“and thereby hangs a tale.”

The other case referred to concerned a Jose Silva, a former member of the Fall River Board of Assessors, who apparently submitted false documents to show proof of citizenship.

As for feedback from others, none.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Thanks for the clarification, Harry.

I was thinking in terms of personal intimacy and not in terms of religious salvation.

I looked up some things on the internet. The Church of the Ascension is American Anglican or Episcopal. It has ties going back to 1848 with Christ Church in Swansea. Perhaps she was able to worship in peace there.

http://www.christchurchswansea.org/history.html

http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/cdpictur ... ension.jpg
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

I noticed in the letter it talks about the defendant's son being at West Point. Now, I don't know if it's already been tried or if it's even possible but can anyone check on who was at West Point in 1946? Isn't each Senator allowed to make two appointments every year to West Point? I don't know if this would work but maybe someone could look to see who were the appointments from Massachusetts from 1942-46. Might be a start.
Kat

Post by Kat »

someone...
Our dad used to chuckle at that mythicalsomeone- sorry- it reminded me...