Lizzie borden sourcebook? anybody read it?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

snokkums

Lizzie borden sourcebook? anybody read it?

Post by snokkums »

:shock:
I was wanting to buy the Lizzie Borden sourcebook. I was wandering if anyone (like this a really stupid question for this forum!) has read it and what they thought of it.

There are alot of Lizzie books out there, and I don't want to get a really stupid or silly one.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Snok...that book has only been mentioned about a million times in the forum. As with a lot of books, it has it's +'s and -'s. GO FOR IT.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

I think the Sourcebook is a useful addition to a Borden collection, but it's probably not the kind of book that you read by the fire on a long winter's night. More of a reference book. It mainly consists of newspaper accounts from all over concerning the case. A transcript of Lizzie's inquest testimony is included. There's also a short section on ballet, opera and stage productions related to the case. A few of the newspaper clippings lack either dates or information on which newspaper they come from. I certainly wouldn't call it a silly or frivolous book though.
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
Kat

Re: Lizzie borden sourcebook? anybody read it?

Post by Kat »

snokkums @ Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:36 am wrote::shock:
I was wanting to buy the Lizzie Borden sourcebook. I was wandering if anyone (like this a really stupid question for this forum!) has read it and what they thought of it.

There are alot of Lizzie books out there, and I don't want to get a really stupid or silly one.
As Edisto says, it's newspaper clippings and not the whole articles, either- not always. And the sources are left off a lot of the articles- so why call it a Sourcebook?
Anyway, if you like to read newspaper items you would like this book.
However, news items can be misleading, and you know it's preferred there be a grounding in the source documents first, otherwise newspaper *rumors* can throw you off.
Personally, I have read a lot of it but not all of it.
Have you read Rebello cover to cover?
If not, that's the best one.
If you're looking for suggestions for Christmas gifts to be given you, you might like the Geary book.
If it's a present, the Sourcebook could be cool. :smile: