A question about George W. Allens statement

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

snokkums

A question about George W. Allens statement

Post by snokkums »

I was reading throught the police witnesses' statements and had a question about George Allen's statement.
He says that about 15 minutes after 11 a.m. the marshell came out of his office as says, "Mr. Allen, I want you to go up on 2nd street, the house next to Mrs. Buffington's house above Borden street and see what the matter is". Does he mean the house next to hers, or is there a Borden street? Just curious, and trying to figure out what he meant. I was taking as he meant the house next to Mrs. Buffington's.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Snok...It's George A. Allen, and if you read the NEXT couple of paragraphs you will see he is talking about THE BORDEN HOUSE. There is a date at the top of the page, it says FALL RIVER, MASS. August 4, 1892. Plus, in the table of contents for this document, underneath Mr. Allen's name it says report of discovery of Mr. Borden's murder. Keep reading....maybe the confusion will clear up.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Read on, MacDuff is all I can say snok. The mud will clear soon enough. Speaking of initials though, I noticed something interesting:

At page 430 of the trial transcript, Volume 1, Officer George Allen, being sworn, testified thus under oath

GEORGE W. ALLEN, Sworn.
Q. (By Mr. Moody.) What is your full name sir?
A. George W. Allen.

And while you may not have this source yet, Rufus B. Hilliard testified at the preliminary hearing regarding August 4th, at page 439:

Q. Did you go up yourself immediately?
A. No, I did not.
Q. Who did you send?
A. I sent Officer George W. Allen...
----------
So, at least in terms of initial appearances :shock: it would appear the W's outnumber the A's by two to one. Strange, but yet true. Believe it...or not! :wink:
Harry

Post by Harry »

His full name is George William Allen (1838-1901) per the Knowlton papers, Glossary A.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

To answer your question about the streets:
Yes there is a Borden Street.
Borden Street is the next cross street to the north past Mrs. Churchill's house, downhill, toward downtown, and the next cross street to the south, uphill past Mrs. Kelly's house is Rodman Street.

Later Spring Street, where St. Mary's church is, was continued through to Third and Fourth so in later years that became the next closest cross street to the Borden house on Second Street to the south- rather than Rodman.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Looks like I need to check in more than one place too...

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item. ... md:@filreq(@field(NUMBER+@band(g3764f+pm002900))+@field(COLLID+citymap))&title=City+of+Fall+River,+Mass.+1877.+&style=citymap&legend=

Link to panoramic map of Fall River which you can manipulate.
Stef bought me a rigid version of this map, 1877, and it's very useful.

Here is a closeup of Second Street for you, with Borden Street on the left (north) and Rodman Street on the right (south).
The next street below Second Street to the west is Main Street.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I answered my own question when I read further. Thanks everyone.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.