did lizzie have to work after the murders?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

snokkums

did lizzie have to work after the murders?

Post by snokkums »

:-?
I know lizzie got a pretty good inheirtance after the murders, but was it enough to live on? Did she have to supplement her income by going to work? I have never seen any reports on this.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

It's to my knowledge that Miss Lizzie Borden didn't know what a hard day's work meant!!! :lol:

She barely had to lift a finger for the first 32 years of her life. I highly doubt she did ANYTHING remotely considered manual labor for the next 32 years.

It's a good question though. I'm not as well read on Lizzie as most on this board. Perhaps someone knows for sure whether or not Miss Lizzie worked anywhere. Like I said, I highly doubt it. She probably considered donating money a job well done.
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

that's the feeling that Igot. She never had to work a day in her life, but I was just curious.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

i've heard she worked in the yard, cultivating pansies and such.

i wonder if a pharmacist would have hired her.
Kat

Post by Kat »

"It's a good question though. I'm not as well read on Lizzie as most on this board."-- Elizabelle

Pardon me please, but's it's not a board, it's a Forum.
Were you on another *Lizzie Board* at some point? :?:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Lizzie's library card from French Street shows no occupation.
I don't think there is one listed on the census either.
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

Kat @ Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:28 am wrote:"It's a good question though. I'm not as well read on Lizzie as most on this board."-- Elizabelle

No. I belong to other boards/forums, but this is the only one relating to Lizzie Borden.

Why does this matter? Please tell me I'm not being accused of something that I know nothing about...
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

I'm not really sure I understand the difference between a "forum" and a "board." Can you enlighten us, Kat? I know a "chat room" differs in that it's in real time. (Which is why I hate chat rooms.) "Forum" (togas optional) sounds more elegant than "board," but I'm sure there's more difference than that...isn't there?
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
Harry

Post by Harry »

My experience has been that forums are a little more formal and usually have a moderator.

Boards tend to be more informal and less likely to have a moderator. They tend to deteriorate into, shall we say, less civil discussions.

Of course it is possible to have a moderator and still have a less than civil group. One which I would not wish to participate in.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

ha Harry you have been around long enough to
wiitness this is not a "civilized" group. we try I guess, I am probably the most un-civilized.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I do believe most of us in this forum take civility to the highest level. It is on rare and extremely provoked situations that we will bite back.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

So far I think this forum is pretty good. If you want to see some uncivil discourse go check out the tennis boards. The racist comments made against Venus and Serena Williams will curl your hair. And the fighting! I am so sick of the Steffi Graf v Monica Seles junk. Well, you'd have to be a tennis fan to know what I'm talking about :lol:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just asked a question. There is not an accusation.
I thought maybe we knew you from a Lizzie Board. There were a couple of old ones- always called *boards.*
We here have always been a Forum, that's all.
Edisto, the term "board," to me, designates one of the older
Lizzie sites. I never hear the term around here.
I also do not know what other discussion places are called in this day & age.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

WHO CARES if this is a board or a forum,as long as we get and share information about Lizzie.
But I guess lizzie didn't have to work. She must of had enough money in the inheirtence to live on.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Nancie @ Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:11 pm wrote:ha Harry you have been around long enough to wiitness this is not a "civilized" group. we try I guess, I am probably the most un-civilized.
This forum is as about as civil as it gets when it comes to public forums. Are there disagreements? I hope so as the case itself is full of contradictions. But there is no name calling, cursing, politics or religious preaching on this forum. Thanks to our moderator.

And in case we all haven't noticed it, check the bottom of the first screen and you will see that the number of replies to messages has gone over the 20,000 mark. This in only 17 months. And this is just the tip of the iceburg as the counter was reset when we switched from Arborwood. I guess we are doing something right.

As for Lizzie working she may very well have killed to prevent that from ever happening. That amongst other reasons.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Allen

Post by Allen »

Harry @ Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 am wrote:
Nancie @ Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:11 pm wrote:ha Harry you have been around long enough to wiitness this is not a "civilized" group. we try I guess, I am probably the most un-civilized.
This forum is as about as civil as it gets when it comes to public forums. Are there disagreements? I hope so as the case itself is full of contradictions. But there is no name calling, cursing, politics or religious preaching on this forum. Thanks to our moderator.

And in case we all haven't noticed it, check the bottom of the first screen and you will see that the number of replies to messages has gone over the 20,000 mark. This in only 17 months. And this is just the tip of the iceburg as the counter was reset when we switched from Arborwood. I guess we are doing something right.

As for Lizzie working she may very well have killed to prevent that from ever happening. That amongst other reasons.
I said something about this dicussion to a friend, and her answer sort of made me giggle so I thought I'd post it. She said 'Of course she worked, being Lizzie Borden was probably very hard work.'
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

That is an excellent answer.
And thanks Harry for your kind descriptions.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Elizabelle @ Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:56 am wrote:
Kat @ Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:28 am wrote:"It's a good question though. I'm not as well read on Lizzie as most on this board."-- Elizabelle

No. I belong to other boards/forums, but this is the only one relating to Lizzie Borden.

Why does this matter? Please tell me I'm not being accused of something that I know nothing about...
If I have offended you, Elizabelle, it was not intentional, and I'm sorry.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I think you are right, Harry. She probably killed her parents to prevent it from ever happening.