The Lady From Worcester

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DWilly

The Lady From Worcester

Post by DWilly »

In my reading of Rebello I keep coming across "The Lady From Worcester." I don't know for sure if it's the same lady but it seems possible. First she pops up on Rebello on page 293, where Rebello recounts some stories from the Fall River Globe. In one the Rev. Dr. Jubb is quoted as saying that after the trial, " Miss Lizzie is in very poor health. At present a lady friend from Worcester is staying with her. Miss Lizzie is a nervous wreck, and will probably never recover."

Next are these stories from pages 306 and 307. On 306, he writes about the cops from Worcester coming to talk to Lizzie about some incident which is to be kept very hush hush since it involves the upper crust. According to Rebello it was rumored to "do with the Mysterious Veiled Lady (Mrs. Elizbeth Annette Stockwell )." This was the woman who "entertained" Lizzie after the trial.

Later, on 307 Rebello writes about the story in Agnes DeMille's book which is the story about author Esther Forbes telling how her father, William Trowbridge Forbes, a Judge from Worcester County, "had a curious case at the turn of the Century of a man divorcing his wife on charges of lesbianism. The co-respondent named in the proceeding was Lizbeth A. Borden of Fall Rivers

Ok, so is Mrs. Elizbeth Annette Stockwell the "Lady From Worcester" in all of these stories? Could Lizzie have had an affair with this woman? It seems I also read she sent Lizzie flowers while she was in Jail too. I have to go back and try and find that one I can't recall where or what page I read that on.
[/i]
Allen

Post by Allen »

That's a good question DWilly. It's worth some investigation since I really don't know too much about that story. Thanks, you've given me something new to research! :smile: It would seem there was something going on in Worcester that involved Miss Lizzie.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's good that you collected all the Worcester stories. I was thinking recently of doing that and maybe writing about it. I think there might be more to find you guys- good luck. It's an interesting connection.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

There are a lot of Stockwell ancestors tied to Sutton, Massachusetts, which is in Worcester County.

There was also a Mass. State Senator named Stockwell from the city of Worcester in 1880. But so far, the information on Stockwells dries up around this time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

"Stockwell's" or not- I mean these mysterious veiled ladies whoever they are should be traced. :smile:
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I think that adds to the mystrey of who reallly was Lizzie Borden? Was she gay, or bisexual, or just testing the waters, or what. I think she was probably doing alot of things that before, when her father was alive, she couldn't do because he would have frowned on. With daddy out of the way, she could live it up. IN any case don't think will ever know who the veiled lady is.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.