Interlibrary Loan System

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Laura

Interlibrary Loan System

Post by Laura »

FYI - I have just picked up a copy of "Proceedings" AND Rebello's "Lizzie Borden, Past and Present", thanks to our local library's participation in the Interlibrary Loan System. "Proceedings" was forwarded from New Jersey and Rebello's tome from New York. If your local library is a participant, this is a great way to get your hands on those out-of-print, hard-to-find Borden books! :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's interesting, thanks.

When we were in New Bedford over a year ago at the New Bedford Free Public Library, they had Rebello by the front desk as a reference and it was not circulated.
Maybe librarys have reclassified it?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Whether a book circulates or not is up to the individual libraries. You'll find that lots of times relatively rare books with a "local" interest are kept out of circulation to assure they don't disappear. Sometimes, though, the library will have a reference copy that doesn't circulate and a second copy that can be borrowed.

I think Fairhaven's library has a copy of Rebello that is kept in the director's office with some of the other local historical reference books.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

I wondered if Libraries had one as a reference and one as a loaner to circulate! Thanks.
I hope libraries do circulate it! :smile:

I had called the FRPL this past summer to ask a reference question and Dan actually looked it up in Rebello!
I said I had just spoken to Mr. Rebello!
There is so much in there!
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

I'd like to add that on the interlibrary loan you can also get newspapers. In the research that I was doing I was able to get papers from not only New York but, also Switzerland, England, and France.

Which brings this to mind. The tennis player I was doing research on was said to be on vacation in France in 1938. Well, at that time there was a Herald Tribune published in France. It was in English. One thing about this paper is it kept tabs on most of the wealthy Americans who were traveling not only in France but in other parts of Europe during that time. They would usually mention which hotel they were at. Now, I don't know if the Herald Tribune even goes back to 1890, or if they did the same thing back then. If they did maybe there's a chance Lizzie was mentioned.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

If the Herald Tribune you're thinking of is an offshoot the New York Herald Tribune, there was an international edition, probably the source for your tennis article. (The international edition still exists - see http://www.iht.com/)

However, the New York Herald Tribune apparently did not commence publication until 1922, ceasing publication in May, 1967.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Herald_Tribune

The trouble is, Herald Tribune is almost the "Smith" or "Jones" of publishing. :wink:
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

I am always surprised that people don't use their
libraries, not just for books and research and finding things thru the interlibrary system but for videos and great progams. My library is always leaving messages on my answering machine "the
book (or video) you want is in..." Makes my day!
You don't have to pay at blockbusters or amazon if
you have a library card!
snokkums

Re: Interlibrary Loan System

Post by snokkums »

Laura @ Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:51 pm wrote:FYI - I have just picked up a copy of "Proceedings" AND Rebello's "Lizzie Borden, Past and Present", thanks to our local library's participation in the Interlibrary Loan System. "Proceedings" was forwarded from New Jersey and Rebello's tome from New York. If your local library is a participant, this is a great way to get your hands on those out-of-print, hard-to-find Borden books! :grin:
I'll have to go to my local library and see if they are participating. That would be so cool to get books.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Our Joe has gotten me old news articles thru interlibrary loan. Actually, copies of articles, I should say.
Stef has accumulated quite a few items/chapters from books thru interlibrary loan as well.

When I want a popular book which my library does not have I ask them to *buy it for me.* It's a joke I make- but they "get it."
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

lol, thats cute. But I stillgot to got tocheck this out.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

I think a lot has to do with how helpful your local librarians are. In my area, the answer is "not very." Sometimes I can get a volunteer who goes out of his or her way to help, but the paid people always seem to be overworked and grouchy. My late aunt in a small town in North Carolina used to be able to get about any book in print on interlibrary loan, but I doubt if I'd have that much luck. The Internet has been a godsend to me. Of course, I do have the advantage of being able to use the Library of Congress if I really need something that isn't readily available. In truth, I haven't been there in years!
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

My mother is the fiction buyer at Fairhaven's library, so when I go in and say "buy it for me," somebody often does!

My sister was the children and youth services librarian at our library for a while, too. She moved on to direct Tiverton's library, but is currently out of the library field.

When it comes to libraries, I'm "required" to promote their overall wonderfulness. . .
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)