It's always Aug. 4th at 92 Second St.

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

It's always Aug. 4th at 92 Second St.

Post by Harry »

At least according to this item. This curious paragraph appeared in the Fall River Evening News dated August 9, 1892. How true it is I have no idea.

"A singular coincidence in connection with the Borden murder is that the calendar pointer on the old fashioned clock, at the residence on Second street, stopped on the fourth, the date of the murder, and still points to that date. The other works of the clock are not impaired, but tick off the minutes and the hours with usual regularity."
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Is that clock still at that residence? That is to interesting. Wonder if it still like that, I mean did everyone leave it alone and not change it?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry, do you remember that mantle clock that was supposedly "blood-splashed" from the Borden Mantle- I guess on e-bay?
Do you have the pictures of that?
Susan

Post by Susan »

I remember that clock, it was white porcelain, but, the blood spots looked like they had been dropped down on top of it if I recall correctly. :roll:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes! Who saved pictures?
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

So I am taking it that the clock is still in the house?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Kat

Post by Kat »

No it was "sold" on e-bay, about 2 years ago.
It was actually billed as the Borden mantle clock, complete with Andrew's bloodstains!
I had saved the photos from e-bay, but have lost some files since then.

The clock to which Harry refers is a description from a newspaper item of 1892. Since it states there was a calendar feature on that 1892 clock, seeing if the one which sold on e-bay had such a feature, might tend toward being pretty interesting.
We would need the photographs.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Kat @ Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:16 pm wrote:Harry, do you remember that mantle clock that was supposedly "blood-splashed" from the Borden Mantle- I guess on e-bay?
Do you have the pictures of that?
Yes, I remember the item on EBay but didn't save the pictures.

As Susan said, the blood drops appeared to have been dropped on the top of the clock. And there were a lot of them. If it was sitting on the mantel in the sitting room this would not have been possible. Not unless the blood drops magically flew through the air and landed on the clock but none on the wall behind the clock.

I don't know if the clock referred to in the newspaper article would have been a mantel clock. Did mantel clocks have calendars? I was thinking of a grandfather-like clock perhaps in the front foyer.

I have a photo (taken by who?) of a beautiful clock on the third floor over the stairs leading up to Bridget's room. I don't know if the clock is still there or what it's source is.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Thanks. Someone actually buaght that clock? What a shame. I wish they'd left in the house!!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Did a little digging and found this mantel-calendar clock on the web at
http://www.abouttimes.com/

"This is a ca. 1880's, Ithaca Calendar Clock Shelf Library NO. 8 (Old).

This clock is illustrated in Survey of American Clocks by Andrew Hayes Miller, “Calendar Clocks”. It is found on page 40 and is clock #106. The clock has a solid walnut case. It has the original movement that has been rebushed and in great running condition. The bottom movement and rollers are also original. It also has the original dial pans and bezels. Beautiful clock in great condition! It is approximately 25 1/2" X 12"."

snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Thanks Harry! As always you are right on it. That's a pretty clock.
Susan

Post by Susan »

I found the original thread, but alas, no pic of the clock, just the eBay url. But, there was a pic of a label found in the clock, heres that pic:

And heres the link for the original thread:

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Archi ... nclock.htm
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow you guys are good!

So, Har- I guess it would be a pretty big clock to have a calendar feature, huh?

Snokkums, the one which sold on e-bay (from wherever it's source) was painted porcelain, I think I recall.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Ooo, Ooo, Susan you have inspired me!
I checked one of my discs that I had saved files to and found that darn clock! That's after reading the link you provided which showed I Was The One To Post The Clock Pics!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

E-Bay clock pic #2

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

View #3

Kat

Post by Kat »

e-bay clock from the past- view #4

Kat

Post by Kat »

"Re: Pssst .. Wanna buy a clock?"
Posted by stefani on Nov-18th-03 at 8:54 AM
In response to Message #20.

The auction states:
"I bought this clock at auction over 25 years ago. There is an old label attached inside the clock written in old penmanship stating " Clock from the famous Lizzie Borden Estate after the trial in 1892. The blood spots never left. ". That`s true, as you can see from the photos`s. Their is, now pink colored, blood splatters across the face and over the top. This was the mantel clock in the living room where Lizzie killed her father with an axe. The spots will not come off and are consistent with what one can only imagine blood spewing across a room and landing on a painted china clock would look like after a hundred and eleven years. The clock itself seems to be made around the 1880`s and is 14 inches tall by 11 inches wide. There is no maker`s name and it does not work. It is in perfect shape, no damage whatsoever. I have always believed in the origin of this clock and the authenticity of the attached note but I would hesitate to say I am absolutely certain as I am no expert in this historical field. Therefore, please, if you have any questions contact me. This clock is a pretty important part to the Borden puzzle and is after all one of a kind. Thank you for viewing."
--Stefani quoting E-bay sales spiel --from the link provided by Susan (above).
Susan

Post by Susan »

Wow, good deal, Kat! Its gaudier than I remember it, but, thats the one. The blood spots on the front of the clock appear to be coming from the left going right and coming up from the bottom of the clock; the smaller end of the teardrop shape being the point where the blood hit first. In my opinion those spots are going in the correct direction, but, they should be coming from the top of clock downwards if it was on the Borden's sitting room mantel when Andrew was hacked. :roll:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I had cleaned out some personal possessions of my neighbor next door after she died. I came across these labels, which I posted about in that old topic.
Here is a scan.
I really doubt they are from the 19th century.
I would guess no earlier than the 1940's. This looks exactly like the label in the old clock, IMO.
Who can tell when that label was supposedly put in that clock, tho?