Poll - How interesting is the genealogy in the Borden case?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

How Interested Are You In Any Genealogy Related To The Borden Case?

5 = "Very Interested"
52%
4 = pretty interested
13%
3 = sort of interested
22%
2 = not interested but will read it
4%
1= do not care about genealogy in the case
9%
genealogy is not relevant to me in the Borden Case
No votes
I don't understand the genealogy when it is presented
No votes

Total votes: 23

Kat

Poll - How interesting is the genealogy in the Borden case?

Post by Kat »

We want to know how interested you may be in any genealogy that would be related to the Borden Case?
Please vote :!:
Thanks!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I think genealogy is an important component of history studies, and basically what we're all doing here is studying a piece of history. In this particular case, family connections could very well play a significant role one way or another.

First of all, Morse was hopping around from the home of one relative to another that day.

Then there's the whole issue of Abby's family.

Some reports said Emma was staying with relatives in Fairhaven. Where the Brownells somehow related? If not, how exactly were they connected with Emma?

And in any long-established community of Fall River's size in the late 1800s, many people within certain social strata are interrelated.

All of the key players have relatively deep roots in the southeastern Massachusetts area.

Where there are roots, there's dirt. . .
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

And where there is dirt there may be seeds that may germinate into answers.

I love genealogy! Just found out our family doctor, my high school English teacher (also taught my mother! Boy was she old!), and a family friend that I called "Uncle" and my mother helped care for were all descendants of John Bowen. Unfortunately Seabury is not showing up there.
I grew up "surrounded" with Lizzie people and didn't even know it.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I voted "sort of interested". I think, as Chris says, that genealogy could be a very important part of this case. I am just a dork when it comes to putting it all together. I want to very much thank those of you who have the 'knack' for doing all the genealogy work related to this case. I have tried to do some on my own family and I usually end up frustrated and confused. I have a friend who is an expert in genealogy research...she has tried to help me, but apparently I am not the one in my family who should be doing our genealogy. As I said...I am VERY thankful, that there are people who love it...because I just don't have the 'knack'.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks so far to those who voted and to those who left comments!

Please, future voters, be aware that your input might help us to decide if we need a separate section on genealogy here.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I think a separate section on genealogy is a wonderful idea. It would be a great resource...a library of sorts. I know I get confused with all the genealogy, but maybe someday I will 'get it'. I am amazed at all the 'stuff' you all find out about who is related to who. Thank you for all of your efforts !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
joe

Post by joe »

Genealogy is my passion! It is the history of a family that makes the family "come alive" not only to today's generation, but also to generations to come. Finding those skeletons in the closet is the most fun.
Family history and family trees can be confusing, not to mention difficult to put together.
A section on genealogy will be most welcome!
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
Ad

Post by Ad »

Any and all pieces of the puzzle should be considered. Who knows where it might lead.
Susan

Post by Susan »

I find the genealogy of the principal players in the story interesting, primarily the immediate family members and relations. Beyond that I'm lost and confused. I do think it would be an important addition to the Forum though.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I read some of lizzie's geneology, and there was some male in her familyl that was accusted, found guilty of murder, and I think sentanced to death, but later found not guilty after the hanging kind o f thing. Have to look at my notes, got it written down somewhere. But it's interesting. She did have some people (I believe) come over on the mayflower. There again I will have to look at my notes( I write everything down of interest to me about lizzie).
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Here is the link: Genealogy.com. Ancestry of lizzie borden.

Ouote : Research on Lizzie's genealogy found an interestin twist. While lizzie was found not guilty of patricide stong everidence she had a five great grand father who was found guilty of matricide on no more testimony of what a man had dreamed."

Lizzie decesded form Thomas Cornell, and he was convicted of matricide on the testimony of what a man who said that the late Mrs. Cornell(his mom) came to him in a dream and accused of killing her. It was later proven (after he was hanged) that he didn't kill his mother.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm pretty sure that the Cornell *relationship* is a myth.
I have about 4 sources saying Innocent Wardell, not Innocent Cornell. I think that is an urban legend on a website.
I don't mean that the tragedy never happened, only that they are not related to Lizzie Borden.
If you also put this in your notes, then it won't need to be repeated.
But thanks anyway.
I know you said you read a lot of genealogy-so here's an update.

One source is Hattie Weld Borden, 1899.
diana

Post by diana »

OK Kat -- I'll see your 4 sources and raise you 11 websites!!
Just kidding....

This Innocent Wardell/Cornell issue seems to be a real conundrum.

Here's a sampling of websites that claim Richard Borden married Innocent Cornell:

http://www.mindspring.com/~tvcornel/CornellDB.pdf

http://members.aol.com/alicebeard/borden.html

http://www.genealogy.com/famousfolks/li ... 000036.htm

http://www.thecolefamily.com/hobby/borden.htm [which has Richard Borden marrying Innocent "Cornell (or Wardele?)"]

http://www.wargs.com/political/kerry.html [which purports to show the first 14 generations of the ancestry of Senator John Kerry and shows Innocent Cornell married to Richard Borden. (But I do have to note that it lists Lizzie as “Lizzie Drew Borden – murderer”).]

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/messa ... nell/972.1
[According to Genealogy of the Cornell Family by Rev. John Cornell (1902)]

http://www.famousgenealogy.com/famous/t ... n/gp15.htm

http://www.walthowe.com/genealogy/gp836.html

http://www.hopetillman.com/genealogy/gp455.html

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... /earle.htm

But in all fairness I have to say that Googling 'Innocent Wardell' did show me detailed notes on what Hattie Weld Borden had to say about it -- and they seemed pretty convincing, too.

The link below has the most detailed information regarding an attempt to unravel the mystery of whether Richard Borden was married to Innocent Cornell or Innocent Wardell – but in the end the author just concedes that exhaustive research has gotten them no farther ahead.

http://www.tmason1.com/b/pafn18.htm#3830

So there’s an hour of my life I’ll never get back …..
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow Diana! That's a lot of links.

Actually, they seem to copy from each other. It makes a good story,. It's even in a *Lizzie video.*

I recall this subject coming up before when I was closer to the information. My *proof* which convinced me was that these Wardell's were out of a certain area, NY maybe? LI?
I found census for this family, and the area was an area where Borden's had settled.
If the topic can be found, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I will try to recreate my tracks to the Wardells.

BTW: As an aside- some Morse like to think they are descendant of the great Samuel Morse, and even some in our Morse line stick him in there but they're not. That kind of thing gets perpetuated on the internet.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm using, for "Wardell":

The Genealogy of the Borden Family Living In Fall River and Vicinity, 1876
from
Fall River and its Industries
: Atlantic Publishing and Engraving Co., NY, Benjamin Earl & Son, Fall River Mass., 1877.

Historical and Genealogical Record of the Descendants As Far As Known of Richard and Joan Borden Who Settled in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, May 1638... compiled by Hattie Borden Weld, 1899. (She has, just at a glance, pg. 95, a Wardell marrying into the Borden line to Elizabeth, other than Innocent Wardell marrying Richard).

Representative Men and Old Families of Southeastern Massachusetts...Illustrated, J. H. Beers & Co., Chicago, 1912. See page 9.

Memorial Encyclopedia of the State of Massachusetts... Illustrated, The American Historical Society Inc. Boston, NY, Chicago, 1918, page 368.
My notes say "After Glenn." That means the same info is from Glenn - which book is:
Pedigree of Richard Borden Who Removed From the County of Kent...,private publish, Phila. PA, 1901.

I have more sources for the Borden line, but some just have the name Innocent. Actually, my first citation here is just "Innocent" now that I recall.
And yes one may also copy from another and they will say so, usually.
Since my computer crash, it will be something to round up the Wardells.
Kat

Post by Kat »

And sorry to mislabel the lady to you originally, Diana: It's Hattie Borden Weld.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I recall this subject coming up before when I was closer to the information. My *proof* which convinced me was that these Wardell's were out of a certain area, NY maybe? LI?
I found census for this family, and the area was an area where Borden's had settled.
If the topic can be found, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I will try to recreate my tracks to the Wardells.
--KAT

I found a notation I made :
"2 of Richard's uncles settled Shrewsbury, New Jersey, home of the Wardells. Benjamin Borden and Frances Borden."
I think I used census to find the Wardells, after checking for Bordens in NJ. I'm really sorry I lost the Wardells in my computer crash.
I think it makes sense to connect to the Wardells in this way. Maybe those websites had not the wherewithall to make the leap I made?
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I think some of her people settled in Rhode Island too, but I could be wrong on that.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Some supportive evidence (and it ONLY supportive) for the Wardells (Woodell) being close to the Borden family is the fact that a William Woodell is mentioned as a witness to Richard (the elder) Borden's will. Here is Richard, son of Thomas signing off his claim to land to his uncles:

http://www.geocities.com/enchantedfores ... wills.html

"1692--Aug. 1. Richard Borden, of Providence, eldest son of Thomas Borden of Providence, decease, ceclared that whereas, my honored grand-father, Richard Borden, of Portsmouth, being willing to set his house in order and settle his estaes on his children, &c., did make and declare his last will in presence of Daniel Gould, Joseph Nicholson, William Woodell, John Earle, &c., who was called in for that end, and did then order and dispose of his estate to his children, which was approved by the Town Council of Portsmouth, as appeareth under thier hands, bearing date 1671, May 31, and I being satisfied by testimony of said four persons, and also of my honored grand-mother, wife of said Richard, &c., that it was his real will, &c,. and am satisfied, and for L5, paid by my uncles, viz: Mathew and John Borden, of Portsmouth, and Francis Borden of Shrewsbury, forever quit claim to uncles Mathew and John all my interest to lands, &c,. in Portsmouth or elsewhere, and to my uncle Francis, all rights in lands in Shrewsbury and elsewhere. "

Richard, the elder, willed the land in New Jersey to his son Francis while son Thomas, father of Richard above got the lands in Providence.
What sons Samuel and Joseph did to only get L40 and a provision to Matthew that no part of his inheritance go to no brother older I don't know. Would make an interesting story, I bet.
From his will at the same siteas above:

"To son Thomas, all estate in Providence, lands, goods and chattels (except horsekind), he paying his mother Joan early, a barrel of pork and firkin of butter. To son Fancis, land in New Jersey. To son John, all land about new dwelliing house of said John Borden, &c. To son Joseph L40 within two years of death of his mother. To son Samuel, L40, half in six months after death of father, and half in six months after death of mother. To daughter Amey Borden, L100, at age of twenty-one. To grand-daughter Amey Cooke, L10 at eighteen. To son Mathew, whole estate after payment of debts and legacies, and if he die without issue, said estate not to remain to any brother older."

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

The Cornells were apparently travelling in the same circles in Portsmouth and then on to New Jersey as well!

http://members.cox.net/mountgen/cornell.html

"(1) Thomas CORNELL [Sr.], b. about 1594 probably in Essex, England, d. about 1657 in Portsmouth, RI; m., unknown in England, to Rebecca BRIGGS? (b. about 1600, d. 8 Feb 1673); they resided first in Boston, MA, then in Portsmouth, RI, then in Cornell's Neck, New Amsterdam (now Westchester Co., NY), then back in Portsmouth, RI; their children:

i. Sarah, b. about Mar 1623, d. 1703, m. 1st Thomas WILLETT,
2nd Charles BRIDGES, 3rd John LAWRENCE Jr.;
ii. William, b. about Apr 1625, d. Jan 1628;
iii. Richard, b. about 1626, d. Nov 1694, m. Elizabeth JESSUP;
[#2] iv. Thomas [Jr.], b. about Oct 1627, d. 23 May 1673, m. 1st
Elizabeth ____, 2nd Sarah EARLE;
v. Rebecca, b. about Jan 1630, d. about 4 Feb 1713, m. George WOOLSEY;
vi. Elizabeth, b. about May 1631, d. before 1637;
vii. Kelame, b. about 1631-32, d. Oct 1632;
viii. William, b. about Dec 1632;
ix. John, b. about Jun 1634, d. about 1704, m. Mary RUSSELL;
x. Ann, b. about Aug 1635, m. Thomas KENT;
xi. Elizabeth, b. about Jan 1637, d. 1708, m. Christopher ALMY;
xii. Samuel, b. about 1642, d. Feb 1715, m. Grissell?;
xiii. Joshua, b. unknown;
xiv. Mary, b. unknown.

Thomas [Sr.] was a constable for Portsmouth in 1641 and an ensign in the Portsmouth Militia 1642-44.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) Thomas CORNELL [Jr.], b. about Oct 1627 probably in Essex, England, d. 23 May 1673 in Newport, RI; m. 1st to Elizabeth ____; they resided in Portsmouth, RI; their children:

i. Stephen, b. about 1656, d. before 1723, m. Hannah MOSHER / HARDING;
ii. Thomas [III], b. about 1657, d. 14 Oct 1714, m. Susannah LAWTON;
[#3] iii. John [Sr.], b. about 1660, d. unknown, m. Hannah SMITH;
iv. Edward, b. unknown, d. 1708, m. Mary ____.

Thomas CORNELL [Jr]. m. 2nd Sarah EARLE (b. unknown; daughter of Ralph EARLE & Joan AUSTIN); their children:
v. Sarah, b. about 1668, d. 25 Jun 1748, m. 1st John COLE,
2nd Zaccheus BUTTS;
vi. (daughter), b. unknown;
vii. Innocent, b. about 1673, m. Richard BORDEN.

Thomas Jr. was a Deputy to the General Assembly of RI and held other government posts...........

Thomas' siblings..........

"(4) William CORNELL [Sr.], b. about 1693 probably in Hempstead, Queens Co., NY, d. 30 Mar 1749 in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co., NJ; m. to wife unknown (possibly Elizabeth SMITH, daughter of Jeremiah & Anne SMITH); he resided in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co. [now Mercer Co.], NJ; his children:

i. Smith, b. 1718, d. 1772, m. Phebe ____;
ii. William [Jr.], b. about 1720, d. 1791, m. Mary ____;
iii. Hannah, b. about 1722, m. Edward? HUNT?;
iv. Elizabeth, b. about 1723, m. Francis BLACKWELL;
v. Mary, b. about 1724, d. 15 Aug 1813, m. William MERRELL;
[#5] vi. John, b. about 1725, d. after 1749;
vii. Benjamin, b. about 1726, d. Jan 1787;
viii. Sarah, b. about 1728;
ix. Charity, b. about 1730, m. Edward HUNT;
x. Martha, b. about 1735;
xi. Edward, b. 22 Feb 1737, d. 30 Apr 1784, m. Sarah BURT.

William [Sr.] was a justice for Hunterdon Co. in 1728.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(5) ?John CORNELL, b. about 1725, d. after 1749; m. to wife unknown; he resided in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co. [now Mercer Co.], NJ; his children:

[#6] i. Martha, b. about 1750, d. 14 Mar 1841, m. David BALDWIN;
ii. William, b. unknown;
iii. Abraham, b. unknown;
iv. Benjamin, b. unknown;
v. Jonathan, b. unknown.

Benjamin CORNELL (#4-vii above) mentions in his will his "niece Martha CORNELL, wife of David BALDWIN". Thus, it appears that Martha is a granddaughter of William CORNELL [Sr.] I believe I have narrowed down the possibilities for her father to either John (#5 above) or an unknown son not mentioned in William [Sr.]'s will.

(6) Martha CORNELL, b. about 1750 probably in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co., NJ, d. 14 Mar 1841 in Hopewell Twsp., Mercer Co., NJ; m., 30 May 1775 in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co., NJ, to David BALDWIN (b. 16 Feb 1742, d. 18 Jan 1834). "

So there is supportive evidence for Cornell as well. In one place I saw Wardele mentioned as alias for Cornell!

However, Mother's notes have Innocent Wardell as daughter of William. I have no idea where she got that information and that is a problem with mother's notes sometimes. I guess we need to check to see if William actually had a daughter Innocent of the correct age.
She was acquitted!
diana

Post by diana »

Here’s the Hattie Borden Weld stuff I found last night when I was looking for Innocent Wardell. It’s from the same site that attempted to clarify whether or not Richard’s wife was a Cornell or a Wardell. [see my previous post for the link to that section.]

This is probably just going to expose my ignorance about all things genealogical because this seems to be about the Richard Borden who was the son of John Borden – and Gramma’s post indicates we’re discussing Richard Borden the son of Thomas Borden but I’m going to forge on anyway ….

“245: (III) Richard, eldest child of John and Mary (Earl) Borden, born October 25, 1671, lived on the main road, about a mile from the east shore of Mount Hope Bay, and two and one-half miles south of the city hall in Fall River, his homestead comprising about two hundred acres of land. At the time of his death, at the age of sixty years, he was the largest landholder in the town, and one of the wealthiest. He married, about 1692, Innocent Wardell, and they had children: Sarah, John, Thomas, Mary, Joseph, Samuel and Rebecca."

4Weld, Hattie L. Borden, Borden, Richard & Joan, who settled in Portsmouth R.I., Historical and genealogical record of the descendants..., Albany, N.Y. : Joel Munsell, [1899], 66-68, FHL US/CAN Film 512.
"Richard was born in Portsmouth October 25, 1671. four months after the death of his grandfather. and bears his name. The record of his marriage I have not found. It probably occurred about 1692, as his eldest child was born in 1694. The name of his wife was Innocent Wardell. The names of Richard and Innocent I have met with very often an witnesses to marriage certificates of their acquaintances and relatives, both in Portsmouth and Newport, and also to other documents. Richard was a man of good understanding, fair abilities, and had an eye which looked to the future. He located his homestead on the fourteen or fifteen great lots on the main road about a mile from the east shore of Mount Hope Bay, and two and a half miles south of the City Hall in Fall Rlver. These two lots contained two hundred acres of land and extended one mile from the shore. Here on the east side of the main road Mr. Borden erected his dwelling, small at first, but by additions made from time to time, it was made large and commodious, but exhibited not the least sign ot any attempt, at any period of its erection, to imitate any particular style of architecture.
His attention at first was given principally to the clearing and cultivating his farm, procuring ship timber and plank for which there was a ready market at Newport. He was also deeply interested in the Tiverton lands, as one of the proprietors of the town, having bought one or more of the original shares. He bought and he sold land; his farm yielded abundantly and added to his means, so that in a few years he became one of the wealthiest men in the town. At this juncture, 1714, Capt. BenJamin Church and his son, Constant, who owned twenty six and one-half shares in the mill lot amd the Fall River stream. bought of the different proprietors of the Pocasset purchase. proposed to Richard and Joseph Borden to sell out their interest to, them for 1000. After due deliberation and consultation with their father, the purchase was made and the business was closed. But Joseph beeoming sick soon after the purchase, arranged with Richard to assume the whole purchase money, and directed his wife after his death to convey his interest in this property to his brother Richard. So that he now became sole owner of the whole stream, for they had already secured the remaining shares which had not fallen into the hands of Capt. Church. And John Borden, being a part owner, arranged with Richard so as to have his grandson, Stephen Borden, the son of Joseph, deceased the saw mill and privileges on the north side of the stream, which his son, Joseph, had erected the fall before his death. He gave him also a strip of land on the north side of the Fall River extending from the county road westward to the salt water on which his house was built.

Richard never deserted nor neglected his farm; he was always on the alert and let no opportunity for a good investment escape him. The management of his Fall River property he left with his two sons, Thomas and Joseph. whom he settled there. He purchased largely of the heirs of Edward Gray of Plymouth, as well as of other persons, so that at his death he was one of the largest landholders in the town. And it was principally to his exertions that his descendants were so bountifully supplied with the means of living without much exertion an their part. All that was needed was prudence and economy, and with a little labor property bestowed, they have maintained themselves in independence.

WILL: But Mr. Borden's time was short for this world. And as he felt it to be so, he prepared to arrange his alfairs to meet the crisis which no precautions can avert. He had already given deeds to each of his sons of one-half the property designed for them; it now remained to give to each of them by will the remaining half which he still held.
By his will he confirmed to his eldest son. John, the full possession (after his own death), of his old homestead. being the fourteenth great lot, originally the property of Nathaniel Thomas. and conveyed by him to John Sands of Hempstead. L.I., for money loaned, and by said Sands sold to John Borden with one full share of the Pocasset purchase. To this was added numerous lots of woodland.

To his youngest son, Samuel, he confirmed all that tract of land bought of Ephriam and Susannah Cole, a daughter of Ed Gray, of Plymouth: this was the fifteenth great lot, adjoining the fourteenth on the south, together with numerous lots of woodland, making another full share of the Pocasset purchase.
To his second son, Thomas he confirmed all his housing and lands, swamp, grist and saw mill, etc., at Fall River that lyeth to the westward of the county road. excepting that given in Pocasset purchase.
To his third son, Joseph, he confirmed all his housing, fulling mill and shop where he then lived, and land whereon said housing stands, with all my lands on the eastern side of the county road up to the head or eastward thereof with the river. He also gave him sundry tracts of woodland in various parts of Tiverton, bought of Widow Talman, Hazards, Ephriarn Cole, Peter Talman, etc.
To his daughter, Sarah Hazzard. he gave 1680, and directed his son John to pay her 60 in addition, making 220 in money.
To his daughter, Mary Gifford, wife of Christopher Gifford, a similar gift of 220; to his daughter Rebecca Borden he gave 250 in money, and for his wife, Innocent, he made an abundant provision.
His executors were his three sons, Thomas, Joseph and Samuel, and to them he left all his money, bonds and a deed of every kind, giving to each the bonds owned by each of them. Richard Borden's will bears date February 12, 1731, was proved before the Hon. Nathaniel Blagrove, Esq., July 18. 1732. The date of his death I have not been able to find. He was probably about 60 years of age.

When we look over the transactions of Richard Borden during his life and see the multiplicity of his business engagements and the general thrift which attended all his operations we shall be constrained to admire the quickness of his apprehension. the soundness of his judgment, and the apparent ease and quietness with which he accumulated a large estate, so nicely arranged as to support three succeeding generations and lay a foundation for fortunes for the fourth; all that was required of the three intermediate ones being only to use and transmit to their successors. which would scatter the property but little, owing to the small number of sons in each generation."

Source: http://www.tmason1.com/b/pafc18.htm

Because I am a total neophyte in the area of genealogy, all this information may already be in previous posts but just in a different format. If so, I apologize in advance for being repetitive.
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.tmason1.com/b/pafc18.htm
Thanks Diana for the link. I took the brackets off so it would work.
I've used the Mason site for challenges myself. I consider it a source to check when there are discrepancies.

I guess the Wardell/Cornell thing will not be resolved.
However, I have yet to find the Cornell in a book on genealogy of the Bordens.

So I'm saying that in books, I see Innocent Wardell, or just Innocent- but have not seen Innocent Cornell- only on websites.

I love those old wills! I just love them!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

There is reference to Innocent Cornell cited from a Cornell family book. The claim is coming from the Cornell side. One refers to Wardele as an alias for Cornell. I found William Woodell, Bordens neighbor in Portsmouth, married to a Ruth Lawton and there was no issue!
When did Innocent Cornell's mother die? Was she still a minor? I wonder if the Woodells took her in and she changed her name to escape the story of her father following her around. I am not finding an Innocent Wardell in records before the marriage. Has anyone else?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

The only innocent I have ever found was Innocent Cornell, but there are people are saying the Cornell 's aren't related to the Bordens.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I was looking at the UMASS edu site under History of Bristol County, and they have Innocent Wardell.
See item "#18 Bristol County, Massachusetts."

http://ccbit.cs.umass.edu/lizzie/images ... 41F01.html
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Yes, they do but no birth record!
I found an Innocent Wardell, daughter of William but it shows her with two marriages, neither of the Richard Borden. Besides, she is born way too late.
BORN TOO LATE
The family is tied to the Borden family, though.

Husband's Name
William WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-B9) Pedigree
Born: 13 Jun 1702 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
Married: 13 Apr 1732 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
Father:
Mother:
Wife's Name
Elizabeth BORDEN (AFN:R1HS-LS) Pedigree
Born: 7 Apr 1708 Place: Swansea, Bristol, Mass.
Married: 13 Apr 1732 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
Father: John BORDEN, JR. (AFN:FVBC-DT) Family
Mother: Sarah EARL (AFN:FVBC-M2)
Children
1. Sex Name
F Patience WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-P6) Pedigree
Born: 1746 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
2. Sex Name
M Joseph WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-8X) Pedigree
Born: 1851 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
3. Sex Name
M John WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-7R) Pedigree
Born: Feb 1748 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
4. Sex Name
F Ruth WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-0K) Pedigree
Born: 13 Apr 1732 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
5. Sex Name
M Borden WORDELL (AFN:PL8K-GJ) Pedigree
Born: May 1744 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
Died: 1816 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
6. Sex Name
M Gershom WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-LN) Pedigree
Born: 20 May 1740 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
7. Sex Name
F Sarah WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-5F) Pedigree
Born: 8 Jun 1742 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
8. Sex Name
F Ruth WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-H5) Pedigree
Born: 23 Jul 1738 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
Died: 1812 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
9. Sex Name
F Lydia WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-94) Pedigree
Born: Sep 1753 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
10. Sex Name
M William WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-DM) Pedigree
Born: 23 Dec 1734 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri
11. Sex Name
F Innocent WORDELL (AFN:R1HR-2W) Pedigree
Born: 23 Dec 1734 Place: Tiverton, Newport, Ri

I think I will move this discussion to Wardell Goodies in Stay to Tea!
Follow me!
Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

See
http://www.tmason1.com/pafn209.htm
CORNELL, Innocent
Birth Date: 167? Birth Place:
Volume: 34 Page Number: 388
Reference: Gen. Column of the " Boston Transcript". 1906-1941.( The greatest single source of material for gen. Data for the N.E. area and for the period 1600-1800. Completely indexed in the Index.): 10 Oct 1928, 7721; 11 Nov 1929, 9255

A GENEALOGICAL "FIND"
"Last August, (which year this is it does not say,) while visiting the beautiful Wilcox Memorial Building in Westerly, I was kindly shown some bundles of historical papers that had come into the possession of the newly formed Pawcatuck Valley Historical Society. Several of these had a personal interest for me, but one of them was so useful in settling a doubtful point in genealogy that I here record it, in the hope that other searchers into family history may find it of value. It was a small scrap of time-stained paper, without date or signature, bearing these words:
"Cornell hung, killed mother with spindle, his daughter Innocent married a Borden, his daughter married Robert uncle of Thomas B. Hazard, his daughter Sarah married Stephen Champlin father of Smooth Stephen, Jeffery, Thomas, and daughter who married Sam Congdon and was the father of George Congdon. Smooth Stephen married a Perry."
For some years I had been searching for the parentage of Innocent, the wife of Richard (John, Richard) Borden of Portsmouth. The husband was born October 24, 1671, and died July 12, 1732. If this fragment told the truth the mystery was solved. With eagerness I began to trace the scrap of paper back to it's author. Inquiry of the Librarian at the Wilcox Memorial elicited the information that the paper was one of several contributed by Hon. Richard Wheeler, of Stonington. Further inquiry of that gentleman brought word that he had found the fragment amoung some papers that had belonged to the late Hon. Elisha R. Potter of Kingston. This was as far as I could go, but it was enough to satisfy me of the probable truth of the statements the paper contained. I conjecture that it was a memorandum jotted down at the request of Judge Potter by someone whose memory had been jogged by a curious question from the patient investigator.
Next I set about finding any possible confirmation of the statement. Amoung my own records I found at once that Sarah Borden, the oldest daughter of Richard and Innocent, born July 31, 1694, married _____Hazard, of Newport. This was something to the point, confirning the third statement of the fragment, and explaining the reason for the first name of the daughter Sarah mentioned in the fourth statement. Further investigation in Austin's Geneological Dictionary showed that Thomas (Thomas) Cornell, who was executed May 23, 1673, had a daughter Innocent, and also that Richard Borden's mother, Mary Earle (William, Ralph), was first cousin of Innocent Cornell, as the latter's mother was Sarah Earle (Ralph). A further search amoung those interested in Cornell genealogy made clear the fact that no other marriage has ever been ascribed to this Innocent. One correspondent is declaring his assent to the identification of Innocent Cornell with Innocent Borden, ventured the interesting conjecture that Innocent, whose birth must have been near 1673, may have been a posthumous child, and that her name may have been her mother's indignant protest at the cruel judicial murder of the father of the babe. Certainly no man in these days would be executed on such evidence as the records contain in this case.
The incident is only one of many evidences of the value of local historical collections. Little by little they attract to each other the old documents which to the owner are of little account, but to one who can interpret them and fit them into place, are of untold value. I should be glad to know of such centres of collection in every Rhode Island town. RAY GREENE HULING, Cambridge Mass. sent to the Rhode Island Historical Society."

I know this does not answer the question of which Innocent it was but, talking to the librian, I gleamed that there was no marriage record from the Quaker Meeting house on Richard Borden and Innocent Cornell. They were not Quakers at this time. Gershom Wodell and Sarah Mott were and so were all of their children. You are not allowed to make copies of the books from the Friends Meeting house here in Newport as they are 500 years old and the Librarian looks everything up for you. I guess we just have to take his word for it. Also there was no Innocent Wordell listed at the Friends records for Gershom Wordell's children, that century.
I also mentioned that this information was found in a book by Wilbour. The librarian was not impressed with Wilbour and said that there have been numerous mistakes in that book and he would not be surprised if Wilbour has mistaken the name and added the details.
We may be no further than we were before. I tried the Tiverton Town Hall, they have no records of Richard Borden marrying Innocent Wordell. (end ZOELOG citation)

MARRIAGE: On 9 Jul 2005, Jodi <ZOELOG@aol.com> cites a book "Killed Stangely" published by Cornell University Press Ithaca & London copyright 2002 On pg 186 it says, "Innocent Cornell wed her cousin Richard Borden who was the grandson of William Earle (her father's old friend and her mother's brother)" it has a footnote sign and I went to the notes they say New England Historical and Genealogical Register 104:227; Pliny, Earle Family, 26; Glazier, Thomas Cornell, 3; Ray G Huling, "A Genealogical 'Find' " Rhode Island Historical Society Publications 2 (1894-95): 244-45; James M. Arnold, comp., Vital Records of Rhode Island 1636-1850, 1st ser. (Providence: Narragansett Historical Publishing, 1891-1912), vol 7.

BIRTH-DEATH: Letter from Allen E. Crepeau to T.Mason (Filed - Richard Borden); 3Jul1997; Got his information from LDS Ancestral File.

Richard Borden

MARRIAGE: For additional information about the conflict regarding which woman was married to Richard, refer to Innosent Cornell's notes.

REFERENCES: New England Families, Connecticut Edition, prepared by American Historical Society, Inc., c1931, p. 46. (Austin: Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island with additions.) and [W. B. Weld: Genealogical Record of Richard and Joan Borden, pgs. 66-74.] This stated that Richard Borden's wife was Innocent Wardell.

BIRTH: Joseph Savage, Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Originally published 1860.

DEATH: John Cornell, Genealogy of the Cornell Family, 1902, New York.

CONFLICT-RESEARCH_QUESTION: It has been assumed that Richard Borden (b. 25 Oct 1671) was married in 1692 to Innocent Cornell, the daughter of Thomas Cornell Jr and Sarah Earle.
----------
"Little Compton, Rhode Island family genealogies" by Philip Wilber the town clerk (FHL US/CAN Film 946840 Item 2) states:
JOHN BORDEN b. Sept. 1640; d. June 4, 1716; m. Dec 25, 1670 to Mary EARLE, dau. William - Mary (Walker).
Child: Richard b. Oct 25, 1671; d. -- m. 1692 Innocent Wordell, dau. of Gershom - Mary (Tripp) Wordell.
----------
The following was sent to T.Mason from Una Bowman on 30 Jan 2002:
I have no documentation showing the marriage of Innocent Cornell to Richard Borden. I suppose to resolve the question, research of Little Compton, Rhode Island records would have to be made to verify the information you received.
----------
I have checked "The Earle Family - Ralph Earle & His Descendants" Compiled by Pliny Earle of Northampton MA. in 1888
----------
Pages 29 and 30:
Mary Earle dau. of William and Mary (Walker) Earle, was b. in 1655, in Portsmouth, R.. I. m. Dec. 25, 1670, John (b. Sept. 1640; d. June 4, 1716), son of Richard and Joan Borden. She lived in Portsmouth, and d. in June, 1734.
----------
Their children were:
1. Richard Borden, b. Oct. 25, 1671. (NOTE Pliny Earle did not follow Richard Borden so there is nothing further about Richard in the book. UAB).
----------
(NOTE: Pliny Earle named as John and Mary Earle Borden’s 9th child Benjamin Borden with no date of birth or further information. UAB).
--------------
In the "Revisions on the Borden Family" dated October 1981 by Anna T. Burr of her original issued in 1980.
Page 1.
"There have been various accounts of the pedigree of Richard Borden, but this sketch is compiled in part from the authorative source: Research in England of the Bordens of Headcorn, County Kent by B. Andrew Moriarity and New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 84 (1930) pages 70-84 and 225-229.
I am indebted to Miss Gertrude N. Brick of Crosswicks, New Jersey, Mr. John I. Coddington, of Bordentown, New Jersey, Mrs Rebecca Borden Clement of Woodbury, New Jersey, Mrs Joan Cox Bohm, of Frankfort, Indiana, and Mrs. John Bradman, of Crosswicks, New Jersey. I have used the Woodward book and Hattie Borden Weld book on the Borden Family and the work of my cousin, Rebecca Cuthbert Rue Borden."

It was signed Anna T. Burr (NOTE: Weld Book also has errors. UAB).
----------
On pages 9 & 10 - Ann Burr has listed the nine children of John and Mary Earle Borden.
1.Richard Borden b. 25 Oct 1671 and married to Innocent Wardele.
----------
Anna Burr also lists the 9th child to John and Mary Earle Borden as "Benjamin Borden b. 1672 d. Nov. 1743 in Virginia. m. Zeviah (Gardiner)Winter d/o Wm. & Hannah (Grover) Gardiner. (Hannah was the widow of Richard Winter)."

(ERROR: Benjamin Borden born in 1672 was the son of Benjamin Borden b. 1649 and his first wife Abigail Grover and Zeruiah was not a Gardiner nor had she married a Winter, her father was William Winter and not William Gardiner. Anna Burr has other errors regarding the children of John and Mary Earle Borden. UAB)
--------------
On page 51 of the material complied by Mrs. Rebecca B. Clement she has Richard Borden (the son of John Borden and Mary Earle) birth as 10-25-1671 and his wife as Innocent Cornell or Wardell. (NO DOCUMENTATION. She also matched individuals and family groups to the wrong lines UAB).

BIOGRAPHY: Family History Records; ; compiled by Michael S. Cole, [HYPERLINK http://www.thecolefamily.com/hobby/ahne ... ahnentafel ] ; ; copy dated 26 Jan 1994 sent to T Mason; NOTES: Johnston's "Rich Borden & Desc," p 12. From Betty Koleda, Prineville, OR.

Innocent Wodell

Alternate birth place - Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island
And in Bristol County, they are mostly called Wordell.
Kat

Post by Kat »

:shock: I actually read all that!

I think we need a psychic medium. :shock:
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

I read it , too.
Go to Stay for Tea for Innocent Wardell's birth and Parents.
She also married a man named John Cornell! If that marriage was before the one to Richard then she would have been Innocent (Wardell) Cornell and that is what may have caused the confusion (or even if she married him after Richard she would be remembered as Innocent Cornell)!

Gramma
She was acquitted!