Jeffery's Theory

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

diana

Post by diana »

Is "George E. Howe" any relation to "Fred Howe" who was the getaway driver in Fritz Adilz's theory? They seem to have reacted quite differently.

According to Adilz Howe didn't leave Davis high and dry but was there when the butcher came out. And it was Howe who went into a shop and asked a switchboard operator to put a call through to Emery's so he could tell JVM the business was done. Then Fred left his wagon and team with Davis and hopped on the next train to New Bedford. (Source: The Hatchet, Feb/March 2004, p.18+)
Kat

Post by Kat »

I don't know. This Howe of Jeffery's is provable- where does Fritz get his Howe, do you know?
diana

Post by diana »

According to the Adilz article in The Hatchet , Fred Howe worked for Davis in his slaughterhouse.
Kat

Post by Kat »

These news items seem to imply this Howe is from South Dartmouth as well as Davis.

I don't understand about Morse going to Howe's after the PO in order to buy a stamp.

Maybe this guy is in town temporarily but the cop following Morse makes it sound like Morse went to "Howe's", like Howe was a business of some type people had heard of.
Kat

Post by Kat »

For info on Morse, please see "More On Morse" Topic.
jeffery

Post by jeffery »

there was no fred howe who worked in the slaughterhouse at the davis farm.
there was a portugese named manuel silva who worked there as early as 1880.
silva was also metioned(unnamed) in the witnness statements.
weber

Jeffrey's Theory

Post by weber »

Good morning all-
I am curious about Uncle Morse's relationship with the girls after the trial was over. Did he call on them or write (how would we know that?). Did he stay in the area or return to Iowa?

I think Jeffrey's theory is interesting. For some reason it seems more plausible than that of Brown. It would seem that money and passionate hatred would be strong motives. It would also go a long way in solving the blood mystery. I can "see" Lizzie killing the stepmother but not her father- especially in the manner it happened.
donj

Post by donj »

This was all very interesting but I still think Lizzie did it.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

jeffrey,

i like your theory in that it connects one of the farms/slaughter/butcher -- to the borden murders.

my question, though, is why you find it necessary to connect to it this lincolnesque dress-switch? i've spent some time on lincoln's dress theory, and i don't buy it at all. do you have your own reasons for it? just wondering how deliberate or important it is, and why if any testimony it is based on -- or is it outside of testimony?
Kat

Re: Jeffrey's Theory

Post by Kat »

weber @ Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:37 am wrote:Good morning all-
I am curious about Uncle Morse's relationship with the girls after the trial was over. Did he call on them or write (how would we know that?). Did he stay in the area or return to Iowa?
Rebello, 72
John V. Morse's will:

"Sixth -- I direct that the real estate of which I am now possessed in Mills County, Iowa, which is now leased to W[illiam E[dwin] Van Ausdale shall at the expiration of said lease be sold and the proceeds be divided equally between my nephew and nieces, not named, except those named Borden, who are not in need of it."

"Note: The 100 acre farm in Hastings, Iowa, was sold to Mr. T. M. Brazelton for $12,500.00. Based on the courts construction of the will, the following nieces and nephews each received $910.64 from the sale (less expenses): Ada A. Lancaster, Edith M. Lancaster, Arnie Andrews, Eva M. Roe, Selecta M. Bee, Bird Fairchild, Sarah England, Henry L. Shaw, John W. Shaw, John Morse, George Morse and William Morse."

74:
"Residuary Account

The court made the following ruling on March 17, 1913: Mr. William B. Morse, brother of John Morse, entitled to 1/6 ($1,211.98); Arabella, half-sister of John Morse, ($1,211.98); entitled to 1/6, Lisbeth Borden and Emma Borden, entitled to 1/12 ($605.97)..."

Emma refused the share, while Lizbeth accepted hers.
Supposedly Emma thought of him as their dear uncle, at least during the inquest. She also admitted to corresponding with him regularly before the murders.
Emma's estate accepted the residuary account and added it to her legacy after her demise.

What happened in between, we don't really know.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I realize this is an old thread, but there may be too much made of Morse's involvement with the "horse traders". If the horses were consigned to Morse he was then the owner's agent for the sale of the horses. He was not the owner, only a middle man. The "itinerant horse traders" may well have been farm or ranch hands sent by the owner to look after the horses. If Morse was looking to stock a farm with the animals, why would any of them have been auctioned off? If Morse is a horse trader and there are other horse traders camped near the horses, I don't see why an auctioneer is necessary.

Many possibilities exist for the arrangement, I'll suggest one in which an auctioneer plays a telling role. Imagine a drought year in Iowa. There isn't enough feed for the number of horses and all of the farmers are in the same boat in the drought area. The Iowa farmer can't buy additional feed for the animals, there's none to be had anywhere nearby. The farmer can't sell the horses in the area because nobody has enough feed for their own animals, let alone addtional livestock. The choices are to buy in feed (assuming available funds in a bad year) from a distant source with the added expense of shipping, or selling the horses in a distant market with the expense of shipping the horses. Buying hay for the horses is less likely in a bad year because it requires a large outlay of money. Selling the horses creates income which can then go to feed the rest of the farmer's livestock. If the Iowa farmer is a friend or acquaintance of John Morse who happens to live in an area where feed may be plentiful (having available pasture in August, for instance), and a stable market for horses, why not hire him as a sales agent? Selling at auction means taking whatever you can get for the animals and implies a degree of desperation on the part of the seller.

This makes Morse's statements with regards to the horses and horse traders seem a bit more accurate. The newspaper accounts might be based too much on assumptions.
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
RayS

Post by RayS »

WAS 1892 a drought year? 1893 saw the worst Depression in American history until the Great Depression (1929-1949). Actually, the Depression started in 1921 with a fall in crop prices.

Your comments about selling off livestock when fodder is high is true (see 1816 in the northeast, and Europe). But they were more likely to be slaughtered for meat. Less in transportations costs!

Arnold Brown points out that "horse traders" were regarded as low as "used-car salesmen" in that day. Brown also wonders about Morse arriving by rented buggy when he was a horse trader! That's like a used-car salesman taking a taxi.

In effect, this validates the theory of a Secret Visitor doing the murders. But it multiplies dependencies needlessly, IMO.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Given the history of Vermont and its famous Morgan horses (US Cavalry), I wonder why they didn't seek a closer source than Iowas (if indeed they did ship them in that way, like cattle to Chicago).

Reading about the early 19th century, I read that a horse would be used up, or die, after about 200 miles of post riding (fast gallop). What can anyone say about the use of horses in that way?
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I don't know that 1892 was a drought year overall, but droughts can occur locally. Actually, any scenario which creates too many animals and expensive or scarce feed would work here. It might have been good horse market in the east that year. Many possibilities, but remember the auctioneer!
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
Curryong

Re: Jeffery's Theory

Post by Curryong »

This is an interesting thread on many levels, as it explores the links between Morse and the Bordens, also I was struck by the reported conversation of Bridget and Nellie McHenry in which she says Abby fretted about Morse imposing himself on them all summer long and 'why don't he get married and go away..." (Post on Page 1) Quite amusing!
phineas

Post by phineas »

1891 was a drought year in Iowa, the summer before. http://bit.ly/1s4kFPa
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Hmm, interesting, Phineas! Of course there seems to be consensus among many posters that the Nellie McHenry--Bridget interview didn't happen, but to me this comment appears to have the ring of truth. Abby may well have not wanted a garrulous, unhygenic, awkward sort of person hanging around her home for the summer. She probably was less enamoured of his company than Andrew was though they were cordial to each other, of course.

John Morse had visited his uncle Charles in Rhode Island between 1890-1891, 'imposing' himself there for about a year and a half. His farm was rented out. He left in October 1891 to stay with his old friends, the Davises of South Dartmouth. In 1892, Morse had visited the Bordens in June and July, and August, of course. I don't believe in 'Morse the shady horse dealer' but otherwise Jeffery's is a very interesting, if a bit convoluted, theory, very interesting indeed!
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

I find this difficult to envision for one of the reasons Possum (I think) pointed out, and that is that all three men said not a word to anyone for the rest of their lives. Usually crimes of this magnitude involving multiple people fail to remain secret: someone has too much to drink or falls too much in love-lust or gets into a testosterone fueled bragging match or has an attack of overwhelming guilty conscience and spills the beans. To my knowledge no one who might actually have been the murderer ever alluded to being the murderer. Plus, the idea that Morse had horses brought east to sell for the purpose of buying a farm ignores a more logical reason for Morse to come east which is to watch the horses be sold. To this day, farmers who sell livestock by auction go to watch it be sold. There's a natural sense of closure in this.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
geri

Post by geri »

The farm issue seems a pretty weak motive to hatchet someone. I think if Lizzie participated or was in on that explanation of the crime she would certainly have let Bridget find the Body. It always seemed to me that she seemed to be in shock when she discovered him and that could have contributed to her not running from the house, yet people do react strangely under stress. I always have felt that Lizzie contracted to have her stepmother killed and the killer hung around and dusted her father too.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Welcome to the forum, Geri. I hope you will find this site very interesting and full of the best information available on the Borden Murder Case.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Yes, welcome Geri! Hope you enjoy it here. The Jeffery theory is very convoluted but I found it interesting as a real attempt to tie up loose ends. I agree, motive and keeping three people's mouths shut afterwards would be a real problem. I believe that Lizzie did burn paperwork afterwards. That I agree with! John Morse's involvement with Howe seems peripheral in real life, though, even if they were distant cousins.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

NEVER MIND
Steveads2004

Post by Steveads2004 »

Old thread full of golden information.
BeautifulLizbeth1

Post by BeautifulLizbeth1 »

Hmm...
What convinces me most of a hIred assassin is the fact that Morse went to Swansea the day before to retrieve the Eggs.