So, who thinks Radin was right?...........

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Re: So, who thinks Radin was right?...........

Post by Kat »

Yes camgarsky, he took part in the *Sanity Survey* in The Knowlton Papers., page 102 and 105.
I'm glad to look it up because it also is my source for Miller's claim:
Bridget the Servant girl came running into my house and said both were dead just then a man was passing. I called him and told Bridget to tell him what she told me. She did and that man was a witness. I did not want anything to do with it and I did not go near the house.
Survey by Moulton Batchelder, dist Police, report to Knowlton on Nov 24, 1892

But he did go near the house- he was seen in the yard amongst the other onlookers.
And where was his empathy for poor Bridget?
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Thanks for looking that up, Kat! I had thought I remembered that, but am not near my books…
I do still wonder at his absolute refusal to figure as a witness.
Kat

Post by Kat »

camgarsky4 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:13 am Jennings Journals page 188.

Southard Miller interview by Arthur Phillips. "He (AJB) never would have told anyone if he was going to make a will. Never heard him say a word about his family affairs."

My assumption has been that Miller and Borden were stereotypical, conservative older businessmen who kept their inner thoughts to themselves and didn't expose 'weaknesses' with others.

Side note and not sure where to look to double check my recollection, but my memory is telling me that Andrew was a witness to Miller's will, or something along those lines. Hopefully I didn't just create a myth.
Rebello, pg 24
"Mr. Miller wrote his will on January 21, 1892. It was witnessed and signed by Andrew J. Borden, Vernon Wade, a grocer at 98 Second Street and Andrew J. Jennings, family lawyer for the Bordens. Mr. Jennings would later become Lizzie's attorney at her trial in 1893."
-His reference was the will of Mr Miller
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Thanks Kat! Glad to know my memory still works.

Just looked at page 24 in Rebello and his source was the probate court records. No way that info was digitalized back when the book was compiled. Gotta say, Mr. Rebello did some serious and laborious research for this book. He must have been a man of great patience.

Rebello does point out in his footnotes that the City Directory had two Andrew J. Borden's listed. One was our Andrew and the other was a janitor. Seems like a sure bet which Andrew who witnessed Miller's will. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

There was another Andrew J Borden who committed suicide: An article in Victorian Vistas, Volume 1886-1900, pg. 171-72, tells the story:
October 2, 1889
Suicide By Hanging
A Globe Village Man Takes His Own Life
In A Fit of Despondency.

Andrew J. Borden 2nd, a well known dealer in provisions, residing at 83 Globe street, committed suicide by hanging yesterday afternoon. Less than a year ago Mr. Borden exchanged a farm on Stafford Road, taking in its place valuable city property. The new owner at once began extensive improvements to the farm with a view to trade and sought to secure the farm again. The owner would not part with it except for an additional consideration to cover the expenses of improvements, and Mr. Borden hesitated about making any payment. Several consultations were held by the parties interested but no settlement could be arrived at.

Mr. Borden commenced to worry about the transactions, and for the past four months his friends had noticed a deap seated melancholy had taken possession of him. Yesterday he was even more melancholy than usual, but shortly after dinner said he was going out on an errand.

He had been gone some time when his long absence began to cause surprise. His father, a man over 75 years, had occasion to go into the barn at the rear of the house and there found the lifeless body of his son, suspended from one of the rafters of the barn by a cotton rope. The father cut the body down and assistance was called, but all efforts to bring life back were fruitless.

Mr. Borden was about 50 years of age and unmarried. He lived in a very comfortable home with his father and two sisters and was considered very well-to-do. His rash act was undoubtedly committed during a temporary attack of melancholia."

—from a previous post- of course he died before Miller made his will. But there were about 4 Andrew Bordens, over time?
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/LBForum/ ... tor#p30483