The HOUSE is sold!

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

The HOUSE is sold!

Post by Stefani »

Today's newspaper relates that fact that Donald Woods of Portsmouth, RI has purchased 92 Second sT.

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.heraldnews.com/site/news.cfm ... 9784&rfi=6

I hear he has big plans for the house? What do you think they should include?
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Plus this one:
http://www.heraldnews.com/site/news.cfm ... 9784&rfi=6

Here he says he is demolishing Leary Press in January!! Good news there!
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Stefani, sounds like great news! What is the museum part of the Borden house that they will be getting rid of? The woman who will be running the B&B refered to the sitting room as the living room, yikes, that gave me butterflies in my stomach. I guess until the dust settles at #92, I'll just sit quietly wringing my hands like Alice Russell did; its exciting news, but, it makes me nervous at the same time. :shock:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I haven't read this yet and I just got online after talking to Stef.
But maybe what is referred to is the "Museum Gift shop" which I am led to understand was in the Leary Press part of the building.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Tracy told me that you "check out" in the Leary Press building by entering it via the kitchen. This is also where you can shop for souvenirs.
Audrey

Re: The HOUSE is sold!

Post by Audrey »

Stefani @ Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:33 am wrote:I hear he has big plans for the house? What do you think they should include?
I would like to see (and of course participate) in reenactments of the crime day-- in so far as we can establish by testimony.

Has anyone ever been through the house with a metal detector?

Like the house in Villisca-- I think it would almost be cool to return the house to it's state at the time of the crimes, ie-- no electricity or water, etc but this would prohibit guests from wishing to stay and would probably make the house ineligible to be a B&B.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I am intrigued by the comment that this is more than just a sensational crime. I wonder how he plans to market the place. He sounds like someone after my own heart in that my whole thought about the website (choice of colors and style and whatnot) was to insure it wasn't treated as some horror site with dripping blood but taken seriously by serious people who want to discuss the case and times.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Stefani @ Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:20 pm wrote:I am intrigued by the comment that this is more than just a sensational crime. I wonder how he plans to market the place. He sounds like someone after my own heart in that my whole thought about the website (choice of colors and style and whatnot) was to insure it wasn't treated as some horror site with dripping blood but taken seriously by serious people who want to discuss the case and times.
Or the assumption of guilt....

I was stunned to recently stumble across what appeared to be a college course web site which had a section "14 clues to suggest Lizzie's guilt" (or something like that!)

(Edit) Found it...

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... n/Lizz.htm
Doug

Post by Doug »

I just read the article from the Herald News about the pending sale of 92 Second St. It sounds like the buyer is really interested in keeping the house available to the public (B & B guests, tours, and presumably researchers). Razing the Leary Press building and putting in parking and possibly a garden will surely help "restore" the looks of the house to what it once was. I suspect, though, that the existence and use of the Press building is what saved the house from demolition years ago.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I agree with Audrey, in that it would be great to be able to be involved /participate in reenactments of THE day, especially for those of us with a real passion for the case. Hmmm...maybe I need to look into a summer job ?

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It has been proposed to build a new Court House across the street where the bus staion is.
I can't think of all the noise and dust and traffic snarls there for months, maybe a year?
But it will probably eventually raise the value of the house, I think.

Can you picture the court officials popping over to #92 for lunch, of a day?
Harry

Good news!

Post by Harry »

It certainly is good news that the house will remain as a B&B and available to us Borden fanatics. The tearing down of the Leary Press building will be the icing on the cake. Now to get him to rebuild the barn the way it was. :smile:

I also like the statement he will not be in competition with the FR Historical Society. It is to the advantage of both to support each other.

Now about Maplecroft ......
mlevenson

Globe reporter wants to chat

Post by mlevenson »

Hello readers:

I'm a Boston Globe reporter working on a story about the Borden house, its new owner, and its history. I would love to chat with people interested in her history. Anyone interested in sharing their thoughts about Lizzie with me could try me on my cell phone 617. 818. 1376. or via email mlevenson@wesleyan.edu. Today, Wednesday, would be best.

Thank you and I look forward to chatting,

Michael Levenson
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

We'd all be happy to talk about it here if you want. It is a great place for discussions. What do you want to know?
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Kat

Post by Kat »

Has anybody contacted this fellow? :?:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Egads, why do I always miss the GOOD stuff when I don't log on for a few days?!

Sounds like good news...& yes, something must be done re Maplecroft too!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

i figured someone better-qualified would respond.

with the magnitude of info and issues, a specific topic or question would make a reasonable start.
Bob Gutowski

Glad news!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

I've been away from the board for awhile, busy with the Tony Award season and gatherings of the theater boards to which I belong. In catching up, I just found this thread, and I got a big lump (of relief!) in my throat when I read of the plans to keep this a B&B.

And the destruction of the press building - could we have hoped for anything better? Time to open up the sitting room to some sunlight, again!

Hallelujah!