Announcing the birth of Mondo Lizzie Borden

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Announcing the birth of Mondo Lizzie Borden

Post by Stefani »

As a part of my ever widening interest in all things Borden, I have started a blog called Mondo Lizzie Borden.

It will be updated daily and include news, tidbits, reviews, gossip, behind the scenes stories, advice, and opinion----dealing with all manner of subjects related to Lizzie Borden.

I have a few posts up already and you can check back daily to read new items. I will probably update the content several times a day, so don't miss out on the latest info.

Includes Links, Blogroll, photogalleries, recommended sites, Lizzie Swag, and your choice of three different themes (looks) to view the blog in (dusk, thirteen, and wordpress default).

If you have any tips or tidbits to share, please send them along. If you want to remain annonymous, just let me know! lizzieborden@cfl.rr.com.

Explore and enjoy!

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/
:peanut16:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Cool site, Stefani! I like it. All kinds of neat stuff. I'll be checking up on it everyday. Keep up the good work! :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

NICE !!

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

I grew up in a Portuguese Household. As a youngsters we always had desires and expressed our wants or precieved needs for them to my parents, like all children. My mother would respond resoundingly, "NAO ESTE MUNDO," or "Not In This World......

Mundo is Portugese for World. (MONDO, Portuguese, Spanish and Italian are very similar.)

"Mundo Lizzie Borden'ese" (?)

RayS

Post by RayS »

I don't think splitting up the Boredenphile forces is a good idea.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I sincerely hope that I am not splitting up the forces! I just wanted a place where I could announce stuff and speak in a different voice than here. When I post here I am my professional self. I wanted a place where I can speak my mind without it coming from the Administration! So my opinions about things are not from the forum admin. For instance, I have some real issues about some new books out there on Lizzie and I don't feel like I can talk about my real opinions about that here. I don't want to walk about here spouting off. But with a blog I can. Because they are more informal. I hope this makes sense.

Plus, of course, I hope the posts there bring people here! And inspire people to subsribe to The Hatchet. I hope it increases traffic. If I thought it would splinter things, then I wouldn't have done it.

The blog is not a forum. You are not expected to reply. It is NOT a two-way conversation. Here, of course, it is. Blogs are like digital diaries.
matt kevin jones

Post by matt kevin jones »

I think the Blog is a great idea.
Like you said, it will be a way to spout off your opinions & Such.
Bravo !!!
Why did Mrs Howell pack so many clothes for just a three hour tour ??
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Your blog is certainly not splittings things up ! Just diversifying and creating more options !

Tracy...
Angel

Post by Angel »

Stefanie- it's a great idea. Don't let one perpetual wet blanket make you feel otherwise.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Stefani, as the administrator of the forum, has to be neutral and therefore limited in her opinions.

A blog is the perfect way for her to express herself as it is a different medium and separate from the forum.

Congratulations Stef, it's a good idea.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I understand what you are trying to do Stefani. I think it is a good idea and can only enhance Lizzieandrewborden forum and sprout many new topics and fresh ideas.

For the "Administrator" to stress her/his opinion or perceived prejudices here on the fourm can appear as bias and can cause conflicts with the rank and file, or worst, new comers.

On the forum it is prudent for the Administrator remain a referee or judge rather than a competitor or counsel to members or issues.

Can see where your going with this Stefani and can only add that it's a great idea that is sure to recruit new members and stimulate conversation
and educate us to news or other media we may have missed.

Good Luck.......! Your a driven individual Stefani. And we are all glad for it. :grin:

:cool: :idea:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

It looks interesting and fun!

I was happy to see I was indirectly mentioned!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Congrats on your new blog, Stefani! I too think its a great idea for you to have a place to give voice to your opinions and such. I look forward to reading all that you post there. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Is there a reason it's not even large enough to read?

P. S. I, too, have serious reservations about a blog undermining the forum.
Kat

Post by Kat »

You should have a *larger* and *smaller* tool in your toolbar to adjust how you view your text.
The older I get, I'm starting to make the type larger on certain sites, including this one! :smile:
You can also change the design, by picking another format on the right, on the blog site.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I don't seem to have the "tool" you suggest, and I can't read enough of the blog to change the format.

I found it---it's not a tool. It's under VIEW, then Text Size in the menu. I've never had a problem reading anyone's blog before.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Kat @ Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:45 pm wrote:You should have a *larger* and *smaller* tool in your toolbar to adjust how you view your text.
The older I get, I'm starting to make the type larger on certain sites, including this one! :smile:
You can also change the design, by picking another format on the right, on the blog site.
If you use firefox you can add an extension to do this on ANY webpage... But I do not know if this would work in the MAC version of Firefox.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Well done, Stefani! You can count on me checking in every day, as well. It's like having your own Lizzie Borden news channel! :-)
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

my god, stefani! turn your back on an aries for one minute -- and here comes a whole new enterprise.

i think what you said is worth repeating:

***Plus, of course, I hope the posts there bring people here! And inspire people to subsribe to The Hatchet. I hope it increases traffic. If I thought it would splinter things, then I wouldn't have done it.

The blog is not a forum. You are not expected to reply. It is NOT a two-way conversation. Here, of course, it is. Blogs are like digital diaries.***

excellent idea. i never thought of it. i admire your reasoning. you know i'm all for promoting the magazine. also, it must be said -- there is one huge difference between a lizzie blog and the official site -- which is the huge amount of information on this site. the blog is like handing out brochures at a revolving door in terms of advertising--they still have to come to this site for the real mcCoy. and for us regulars, it's a different doorway with a different view. it should be exciting to watch it take shape.

Eugene
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I am going to take a moritorium for posting for a while based on the blog. To me, blogs are a lot like toilet paper...
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

nbcatlover, try reading abstracts as an RSS feed. Go to META in the sidebar, click on 'ENTRIES RSS' and you should be directed to the RSS feed. Here you can subscribe to the feeds and view the blog this way. If you see something you want to read, you can click on the "read more" link and go back to the blog.

This forum is set up the same way. In the menu are on the left of the main page, I included an RSS feed button a while back but didn't say anything about it. Nobody has noticed. I think it has been about a year since I added it. You might enjoy that look and font size.

Please don't anyone fret about breaking up the Lizzie world. The blog is a part of the same site and I run all of it. I own and run LizzieAndrewBorden.com, this forum, the Borden Books & Gifts area, publish The Hatchet, and maintain a mailing list. I think adding a blog is a natural progression, not a breaking away.

I realize that blogs are not for everyone. You might not like it at all. That is ok, but there are lots of people who read blogs but don't read forums! So this way I am branching out to more people, not breaking up the Lizzie family. :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Of course, I have no idea what a Blog is. Heard the term so many times. This is a first for me.............Idea sounds great. I think? From what I saw on Mundo, if that's a blog I can imagine it can only be a plus. No??? What are the objections to Blogs all about? What are the Pros or Cons? I hear kids always talking about starting up their own blog. Though I must admit the word "Blog" sounds like something out of a 50s horror movie. Sorry about the DAHHH! factor. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just a little confused why some think it a bad idea?????????????? :-?
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

When I first started hearing about blogs there were used for online diaries. People posted their daily routines, loves, problems, and such, with links to other blogs and web sites. It took a while for them to become the really amazing tool that they are. Now, all media blog, and each network and newspaper has blogs. Journalists and authors blog, Corporations blog, businesses blog. And now Lizzie blogs! :razz:

There are probably a half a billion blogs. Some blog software is easy to use and install, some not so. I am using Wordpress which is PHP and that is the same code as the forum so I was used to it.

I read about 10 blogs a day. The same 10. When you find one you like, you want to keep up. Especially when you like the style or the writer.

I read a lot of political blogs but didn't include any of those in my blogroll (which is alist of blogs I recommend--check them out and see how you like them!) because I didn't want to put anyone off with my politics.

I get a lot of news from blogs that are current, and I go back to some 30 times a day to get updates. When you are online as much as I am, you find places you enjoy and stick with them. Yet, the blogs have also taken me new places, when they recommend a site or blog I didn't know about. It is really neverending. I think the Internet was only a place to do research before blogs. Now it is a place for niche information.

You can wiki blogs in google to read the details. Google search: "wiki blogs" ---

Some sites, like the infamous myspace.com offer blogs for free but they are really glorifed dear diaries. There are even Lizzie Borden blogs on there, but they are not well designed and have no content.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Stef,

I clicked on the RSS FEED link for the forum. This is what came up. What else do I need to do ?

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A string literal was expected, but no opening quote character was found. Error processing resource 'http://lizzieandrewbord...

<description><b><font color=#30496E>A free society devoted to the serious discussion of the Borden murders...

Tracy...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks Stefani, gives me a better idea of what Blogs are and how they are used. :cool:

My only confusion is why some think it may be damaging to this forum? Hmmmm? :-?
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I like the blog and have found the content thus far to be interesting and not all of it it something to be posted here.

Joining is quick and easy and once you do so you can leave comments! I had the first one!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

mbhenty @ Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:15 pm wrote:Of course, I have no idea what a Blog is. Heard the term so many times. This is a first for me.............Idea sounds great. I think? From what I saw on Mundo, if that's a blog I can imagine it can only be a plus. No??? What are the objections to Blogs all about? What are the Pros or Cons? I hear kids always talking about starting up their own blog. Though I must admit the word "Blog" sounds like something out of a 50s horror movie. Sorry about the DAHHH! factor. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just a little confused why some think it a bad idea?????????????? :-?

I love Stefani's Lizzie Blog site myself. I can see the benefits of getting updated current "LizzieNews." I love it.

I have always been slow to pickup on new Net words too. It seems that no one bothers to decribe what the word means, they just use it. Like "iPod." I have yet to hear someone out there describe exactly what an iPod does even though I've done research and found out on my own. Same thing with "Blog." I thought they meant "The Blob" movie. "It dissolves human bone and flesh... the creeping snot is coming to get you..." Who would win in a show down, the Hatchet Diva or the Snot Monster? :wink:

I'm not much into online diaries but Stefani's news blog on Lizzie I like. No problems here, only benefits. :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

theebmonique @ Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:08 am wrote:Stef,
I clicked on the RSS FEED link for the forum. This is what came up. What else do I need to do ?
The XML page cannot be displayed
Tracy...
I could not get the feed to work in IE or Firefox, except with the Sage newsreader. It worked perfectly with Safari. I tried 5 different mods to make it work here across the board but couldn't so I deleted the RSS feed for the forum for now. Until I figure this out I don't want people getting error messges.

The RSS feed for the blog works fine. Sorry to confuse the heck out of you, but when I originally installed it I didn't have any problems!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

1bigsteve @ Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:32 am wrote:
I have always been slow to pickup on new Net words too. It seems that no one bothers to decribe what the word means, they just use it.
-1bigsteve (o:
Yes I agree. Unless you are on the Internet all the time, exploring to fnd new ways to have it help you or entertain you, you miss out on the latest and greatest.

blog is short for weblog. I don't like the word myself, sounds fat.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Thanks for the info on the RSS Stef !

Tracy...
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

nbcatlover @ Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 pm wrote:I am going to take a moritorium for posting for a while based on the blog. To me, blogs are a lot like toilet paper...
Just for you, I created an accessibilty area on the blog. On the sidebar on the right, near the bottom is an area called "See Easier"--you should see 4 As. They represent font size. Pick the far right one and you get very large font size.

Blogs are not like toilet paper, but that is a pretty funny line. Blogs are more like virtual soapboxes. But hey, it's a free country, so do as you please.

UPDATE: I also added a new theme which has a wider print area so when you enlarge the text it fits better. It is called In Business and is under the Themes section in the sidebar. Enjoy!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Checked out the "Blog world" on the net today and answered my own question, "Why do some think a blog's a bad idea?>>>>>>

I can see where it can be compared to toilet paper..... there's a lot of Junk out there, some bizarre, some vulgar, and some, just a pointless waste of time.

One must really dig or check off the bad blogs. I can see where one can arrive at negative conclusion. Hmmmmmm!!

But I suppose one must sieve thru all the good the bad and the ugly to discover the good. I must declare that Stefani's site (blog) is what a blog should be, informative and educationally provocative. Learning more and more everyday. :smile:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I tried registering for the blog. "It" said my password would be sent to me, but it hasn't happened. I have been waiting since yesterday. I even tried to reregister, but "it" said that my email address was already registered. So, I requested a resend of my password, as if I had forgotten it...but no deal...it did not arrive. I even tried this several times.

Anyone else have this problem ? I get to the blog via IE. Stef and I have tried to figure out what is going on...but to no avail. I really would like to be able to post comments on the blog...help ??

THANKS !
Tracy...
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Gosh, Tracy, are you talking about the blog? I thought all this time we were conversing about Wikipedia!

You are registered. I will change the password on the site and send you the info right away.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

THANK YOU STEF !! You fixed it ! Woohoo !

Tracy...
Eric

Post by Eric »

Great idea as I am an avid Blog reader ! By the way Blog is a mashed up word......Web Log = Blog.

Keep up the good work!
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I had the same problem with not receiving a password after applying for one on Saturday. I figured that it was either another AOL problem, or that Stefani was taking a well-deserved day off!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

stuartwsa @ Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:24 pm wrote:I had the same problem with not receiving a password after applying for one on Saturday. I figured that it was either another AOL problem, or that Stefani was taking a well-deserved day off!
Fixed the email problem and tested it so it works now. Stuart, I will be sending you an email with your log in info in it. sorry for the problem!
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Many thanks, Stefani!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just have to say that I Loved the handwriting analysis on that new Lizbeth note from e-bay!

Folks, Stefani studied graphology, self-taught, in-depth- long ago and has always been very good at it.
This example was fascinating. I was glad to have her expertise on the sample!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Just a reminder:
You guys don't forget to keep current with "Mondo Lizzie."
http://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

The things that Stefani writes about are the very things that we have been looking at and discussing behind the scenes. Now everyone has a chance to enjoy these side-trips!
And it's updated constantly.
william

Post by william »

"Mondo Lizzie Borden." All the news that's fit to print, and then some!

Another diamond in your tiara, Stefani.

CONGRATULATIONS!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I have a couple of questions for Stefani which I'm sure she will gracefully respond to.

Stefani, do you sleep?? :lol: :lol: :oops:

Tremendous site, Mondo, (Mundo) can't see how you find the time. :cool:

First question: In reading Mondo I am finding that the information coming down the chute is furious and great in number. Please understand that is a good thing, but don't you think it sort of places an ax to the head of the "Hatchet?" Are you not bleeding off content that perhaps could be used by the Hatchet, cheating it of some "Firsts in Print?"

Question dois: Can Mondo be untilized to promote the magazine? The net being what it is "free" the number of hits will no doubt increase to tremendouse scale, or do such sites restrict attemps to promote such endevours (A little of the "Dah! factor" included in that question :oops: .)

There is much on Mondo that can be used in the Hatchet.

What say you Stefani? :smile:
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Answer #1: yes, after 3AM, plus it is summer and school if finally out and I have much more time on my hands.

Answer #2: The Hatchet is much more learned than the blog. The editorial standards are more stringent and the writing is scholarly. I wanted to separate the smaller items from the more considered thoughtful written works. Blogs are not for posterity, but for the immediate consumption of information and ideas. The Hatchet is for the ages.

I could never figure out a way to share the tidbits in The Hatchet, nor did I like mixing that in there. Most of the Mondo material is time sensitive, meaning auctions or news you should read now, but since the Hatchet is now quarterly, it isn't possible to put newsy new news in there.

Answer#3: yes, and that is what it is for! The entire business plan is to make the blog pay for the magazine by sending new interested parties forward to read the forum and The Hatchet. It has already done some of that, I am happy to report.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I have the Mondo link on my desk top so I can go straight there.

I think you are doing a very good job, Stefani. I like the site.

-1bigsteve (o:
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Thanks 1bigsteve. And thanks to mbhenty too for those questions.

You know, feel free to discuss/argue/disagree/agree with stuff I put on the blog on the forum. I kinda hoped it would spark some sort of discussion, especially the lastest Borden house picture or the fact that new book about Sherlock Holmes and forensic medicine that mentions Lizzie seemd to use Lincoln as her primary source.

Since the blog isn't about a back and forth and the forum is entirely that, here is the place where you can shout out about stuff, even and especially stuff I put up for you to read there.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Thank you, Stefani.

Speaking for myself, I personally don't yet have enough knowledge of the Borden case to dissagree too much with what I read here. My late night forays into the archieves (you probably noticed my "online" glow) has given me a whole lot of knowledge that I didn't have a year ago. And I have a lot more to learn. The only thing I can't be snowed under about are hatchets.

I haven't yet seen anything on the Mondo site that has hit me in the back of the head but if I do I'll start a new thread. I try to stay out of arguments. I always use emoticons to let others know my true "light-hearted meaning" so others don't fly off the handle but then someone may think I'm "joking" about everything and get their rope in a knot anyway. I love nice pleasant, respectful disscusions. That's why I like this forum. I was on one a few years ago about old TV shows, what a zoo! I had never seen so many baboons in one place in all my life!!

Never liked Sherlock as a kid but I'm enjoying it now. It never ceases to amaze me at the number of authors who base their own work on someone elses work that happens to be full of mistakes. I get the feeling that Victoria Lincoln was anti-Lizzie from the starting line.

I'll stay up to date with the Mondo site and let you know what I think. Don't forget to take a break now and then. Nothing is worth more than your health! :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
william

Post by william »

That button that came off Lizzie Borden's shoe in the courtroom during the trial: How long do you think it will be before it shows up on eBay??

(and if you don't know what I'm talking about, read MONDO - and do it now!)
Harry

Post by Harry »

LOL. eBay is the perfect place for it. Will it come with a letter of authenticity?

The article does show however the intense scrutiny Lizzie was under on a daily basis. Many articles mention her dress, her hat, her fan, the flowers she carried, and on and on.

All things considered she did a pretty good job of getting through the ordeal.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Well, I got a whole jar full of buttons and I could type up a Letter of Authenticity... Hmmm, how much should I charge? :wink: Now that the word is out I'm sure some mountebank will hop to it.

Lizzie must have been under a tremendous strain during the trial, like a fly under a microscope.

-1bigsteve (o: