Dewey's charge to the jury

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Dewey's charge to the jury

Post by Harry »

One of the more controversial aspects of Lizzie's trial was Dewey's charge to the jury prior to their verdict. Opinions of legal minds far more knowledgeable with law than mine, say that the charge was pro-Lizzie and a virtual charge to acquit.

It is also known that Dewey had been appointed as a judge earlier by then Gov. Robinson.

However, Dewey was not the presiding Justice at Lizzie's trial. Mason was. Would not Dewey's charge have to be, if not approved, at least reviewed by the other two Justices? I don't think we know the answer to that question. Dewey receives the full blame for the biased charge but is that really fair?

Dewey in a June 21st interview after the trial said ""I am perfectly satisfied with the verdict, and as far as I know, my opinion is that of my associates. We talked the matter over at considerable length, and it was our opinion that no other verdict could justly be rendered. ..."

That would seem to indicate that they at least had discussions as to the verdict but not necessarily to the charge.

BTW, today, June 20th is the 111th anniversary of the verdict.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

I'd say you're right, Harry. It would only make sense that Dewey's charge would have had to receive unanimous consent from the other two. That's just a guess, but it would seem to at least be reasonable. The closest model we have (or the one that came to mind reading this) is the IMT proceedings held at Nuremberg after the Second World War.

Can't say much more other than that at this point; ye blessed computer beast had a massive barf the other week, and at this point, any references (links or otherwise) are Gone With the Wind. :lol:

I have to agree too, on the issue of "fair blame" ... It's ridiculous to center it all on Dewey's shoulders. Blodgett & Mason were equally responsible.