Porcelin paintings

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mary

Porcelin paintings

Post by mary »

Re: “Shopping at Tilden-Thurber” messages posted 3rd- 5th December 2002
By Harry, Susan & Kat.
Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with Lizzie Borden’s history and require some help.
I am researching the 19th century artist, Jane Maria Bowkett, who painted Love’s Dream. You identified Love’s Dream and connected it to one of the porcelain paintings that Lizzie might have stolen–“similar to the picture above Andrews’s sofa.”
Where could I view the images of Love’s Dream and Love’s Awakening that you are talking about -in a book or are they in the Museum?
Thanks to your messages, I have found that the engraving of Love’s Dream was disseminated via subscription publishing –a 19th century American phenomenon.
Mary
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi Mary and welcome,

Good for you, you checked the archives first.

I'm afraid that except for what Susan was able to find, we have never come up with photos of either painting. I just checked one of those URL's she found and even the photo that was there has been removed. That URL was for Love's Young Dream

http://bizbb.com/WorldArtMedalsandPrints/offer/994/

Then I checked to see if the book shown as containing a photo of the painting was available. Using Bookfinder.com I found there were several:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 57_2:10:26

The Borden books refer to the title as "Love's Dream" while this book calls it "Love's Young Dream". The same painting? I have no idea.
mary

Post by mary »

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I may have confused you. It is the images on the porcelan pictures that I would like to view. I have the image of Love's Dream(Loves Young Dream). Were you trying to identifiy the pictures from their names? Is there no known original image?
Mary
Susan

Post by Susan »

Hi Mary, welcome to the forum. :smile: From what I recall of the pics we had found for Love's Dream and Love's Awakening, they were both engravings of the original pieces. In the Lizzie books, they are both listed as being paintings on porcelain, but, therein lies the question. Did Bowkett paint the original pieces on porcelain and then have they been reproduced as such? Or, were the original pieces on canvas, then were they reproduced for sale on porcelain? I have not been able to find that out on my searches, I just felt lucky to even be able to see what we had found, having read about both pieces of art being shoplifted by Lizzie for quite awhile. Do you have any information about a gallery that carries Bowkett's work? They might have her pieces cataloged, even if they don't carry the piece and might be able to give you some information on who has the originals.