Stick around Alice

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Stick around Alice

Post by Harry »

I've been browsing Alice Russel's testimonies. Several things struck me while reading them.

She says she arrived Thursday and left Monday morning. I wonder why she stayed those four nights. Emma was back so Lizzie had someone to stay with her. Alice would not have stayed unless asked but there is nothing said about that. I can see her being there during the day but why sleep there after Emma had returned? She was in easy walking distance of her own house. I am in no way suggesting any relationship between Alice and Lizzie, just curious as to why she hung around.

Also Alice, at the Inquest and Preliminary hearings, did not mention Lizzie's Wednesday night visit to her house. That along with the dress burning are only testified to at the trial.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Emma is questioned about Alice staying but she doesn't seem to remember why she stayed, or how long...

Trial
Emma
Page 1571 / i593

Q. Miss Russell stayed with you three days after the Thursday,?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Night and day mostly?
A. I think so.

Q. Slept in the house Thursday night?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Was that at anybody's request?
A. I don't remember.

Q. Did she sleep in the house Friday night?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Do you remember whether that was at anybody's request?
A. I can't tell you.

Q. And Saturday night?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Did she stay there Sunday night?
A. I don't know. I think she did, but I am not sure.

Maybe it was for propriety's sake. Morse was still there.
Sort of like a chaperone.

Not to muddy the waters here but there was something I read somewhere which said that MRS. RUSSELL was charged with watching the girls.
I always wondered if that meant Alice was a spy for the Government, or did they mean the police matron was to watch out over them?
Do you remember that? I think it was in a news item?
If you want me to look, I will. I've always been mystified by that.
Doug

Post by Doug »

My impression has been that Alice stayed for a few days after the murders to offer "moral support." She was a good and loyal friend to Emma and Lizzie; I think the vagueness of much of her public testimony shows it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It might be something in the Rochester Paper Collection, because I thought I remembered that the name was in all caps., as they are in there:

"Wednesday, August 10, 1892

THE BORDEN TRAGEDY

A Curious Bulletin Given Out by the Police Last Night

Fall River, Aug. 9 - The following bulletin was given out to-night by State Detective SERNIE":
'The inquest into the BORDEN murder began before Judge BLAISDELL at 10 A. M. District Attorney KNOWLTON conducting the investigation. Bridget SULLIVAN and Lizzie BORDEN were questioned separately. The examination of neither was concluded. The inquest adjourned until 10 A M., Wednesday. Nothing was developed for publication.'
This meagre report was all that was given out officially, regarding the first day's proceedings of the inquiry. After adjournment Bridget SULLIVAN went to No. 80 Division street where she has relatives. She has hardly eaten or slept at the BORDEN house since the tragedy. District Attorney KNOWLTON told her he regarded her as a most important witness in the case, and promised to allow her to go on her own recognizance until the trial, if one takes place, provided she would not go away without first acquainting the city marshal.
While the persons at the inquest were at dinner, Bridget, or 'Maggie,' as she was called at home, was placed in charge of Matron RUSSELL, whose lips are sealed. The girl told the whole of her story to Mrs. RUSSELL, saying that she could not tell all before, as there were so many men about. Miss BORDEN was not examined very closely. Attorney-General PILLSBURY arrived at the MELLEN House, and sent for Mr. KNOWLTON, with Medical Examiner DOLAN and others, went to the MELLEN House, where they remained in consultation for about an hour. About 4:30 P. M. Professor WOOD, the Harvard analyst, Dr. MACKENZIE of this city and Dr. DOLAN joined the other officials. Attorney-General PILLSBURY started for Boston on the 4:50 o'clock train. Before going he declined to say anything about the murder cases. After his departure there was more secrecy than ever among the authorities. The analysis of the stomachs has not been completed yet. An officer said to-night that he had no doubt of the ultimate arrest of some one in the family, but he would not say what one. After adjournment of the inquest Miss BORDEN was taken to her home in a carriage, accompanied by Mrs. BINGHAM."

_____

And:

"Friday, August 12, 1892

MISS BORDEN ARRESTED"
"...At the inquest to-day, Charles SAWYER, who guarded the door of the house while Officer ALLEN ran to the station, testified that he ran to the house when he saw Mrs. RUSSELL running, and that he was with Officer DOHERTY and a reporter when Dr. BOWEN discovered that Mrs. BORDEN did not die of heart disease."...
"The excitement on the street was very great when the news of the arrest became known, although some hours previous it was generally understood that Miss BORDEN was soon to be made a prisoner. Miss BORDEN was searched by Mrs. RUSSELL shortly after she was formally placed in custody."
____
And:

"Saturday, June 17, 1893

THE EVIDENCE COMPLETE

The defense enjoyed perfect and over-whelming success in disposing of all these matters. Too much time was spent over Mrs. REAGAN'S tale of the quarrel of the sisters. It was utterly demolished by a little Miss named Lizzie BRIGHAM; yet other women, reporters and citizens generally were called to bury the story deeper than KIDD'S treasure is hidden. As to the paint-gummed dress, there was equally ample proof of it, and proof, too, that Mrs. RUSSELL, the close friend of Lizzie BORDEN, had told the police of it only when begged to do so by the sisters after she had neglected to betray their secret. As the poor woman had been roughly handled for the part she appeared to play in betraying her friend, this statement should lift from her the load of anguish that is said to weigh her down. Finally there was evidence that Miss Lizzie BORDEN wept in the presence of the mutilated remains of her father. Her lawyers not only proved this by their witnesses, but they dug up Bridget SULLIVAN's testimony to that effect as she gave it at the inquest."
_____

Well, maybe this isn't it after all.
Maybe it is in the Casebook?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Does this count as to the question of when the authorities knew Lizzie made a trip to Alice Russell's Wednesday evening, even tho you are correct in that Alice herself doesn't say until the trial (in testimony)- She also wrote that letter to the Prosecution in the Knowlton Papers which sums up Lizzie's visit. So it seems they did know about it at some point - & questioned her. I wonder exactly when?
Maybe the newspapers have it.

Prelim
Mrs. Dr. Bowen
Page 478

PHEBE BOWEN.

Q. (Mr. Jennings) What is your name?
A. Phebe Bowen.
Q. You are the wife of Dr. Bowen?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. You are a friend of Miss Lizzie and Miss Emma?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. You have known the Borden family all your life, have you?
A. I think I have always known Emma Borden, and have known Miss Lizzie since she has lived on the street, twenty years.
Q. You have lived at the same house all your life?
A. Always.
Q. And have been in the habit of going there frequently?
A. Yes.
Q. And were very friendly with them?
A. Yes.
Q. Did you know anything about Mrs. Borden being sick the night before?
A. Yes.
Q. I mean Tuesday night?
A. Yes sir.
Q. Were you in the house Wednesday at all?
A. I was there Wednesday night soon after six o'clock.
Q. Did you see Lizzie at all Wednesday?
A. I saw her go down the street just before I went in there.
Q. You saw Lizzie go down the street just before you went in there, and that was sometime after six o'clock?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Did you have any talk with Mrs. Borden about their being sick?
A. I did, I asked her how they were feeling. She said she was feeling better. Mr. Borden said he was not feeling very well. I says "I suppose Lizzie is better, for I saw her going out." Mrs. Borden says "yes, she has not been out all day, but she has gone now to see Alice Russell."
Q. That was after you had seen Lizzie go down street yourself?
A. Yes Sir, which was soon after I had eaten my supper; we have supper at six o'clock.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I suggest further research sources to others because I have limited computer time over the weekend. :smile:
Harry

Post by Harry »

This was in the June 13, 1893 Evening Standard:

"Perhaps the hardest and most contemptible treatment accorded to any person connected with the famous trial thus far has been given Miss Alice Russell. Correspondents, manifestly knowing little or nothing about her relations with Lizzie Borden, have called Miss Russell all sorts of cowardly names, such as false friend and informer, ignoring almost wholly how this now distracted woman has suffered because of the disagreeable case.
Although she knew the things to which she testified on the stand, she did not disclose them until she consulted Lawyer Swift concerning her rights and duties in the matter before appearing the second time before the grand jury to tell all she knew."

Unfortunately it doesn't mention when she consulted with Lawyer Swift but it must have been between her first and second appearances before the Grand Jury. Now to dig up that info.
augusta

Post by augusta »

It can be confusing when the papers call both Alice and Matron (Mary U.) Russell "Mrs. Russell". Alice never married.

I had not read anything about Alice being in charge of the girls while she stayed there. That would be really interesting if we can find the source for that. I always took it that she stayed out of friendship to comfort them. I would think that Lizzie and Emma probably didn't want her there. Her presence would prohibit the sisters talking openly about the murders.
Just my thought.
Harry

Post by Harry »

This was in the May 13, 1893 Evening Standard:

"When Miss Russell, the chosen friend of Miss Borden, was alleged to have become conscious-stricken and to have appeared before the jury for the second time after the recess and to have made a statement to the effect that a dress had been burned in the kitchen stove, it was thought and never contradicted that for this reason a recess had been taken---to allow Miss Russell to come before the jury and make this statement."

I then found this in Kent (page 74):

"The grand jury took up the charges against Lizzie on November 15 and listened to the Commonwealth's case as outlined by an unenthusiastic Knowlton. Pillsbury had written: "I still favor holding back all that can be prudently held back especially as I now think that what you have absolutely determined to put in will make the case as strong to the public as if everything went in." It was bad advice. The grand jury adjourned six days later without taking any action.

In the meantime, Lizzie's and Emma's former friend, Alice Russell, had wrestled with her conscience and come to the conclusion that Lizzie was guilty of the murders. She met with Knowlton and agreed to be a witness for the prosecution. In a flurry of activity, Knowlton called the jury into session again and presented for the first time the story of the dress-burning Miss Russell had witnessed. Whatever else he may have told the jury is not known, but on December 1, they voted 20 to 1 to return three indictments, one for the murder of Andrew, another for the murder of Abby, and a third charging her with the murder of both. They had deliberated for ten minutes. "

So assuming Alice testified at the first Grand Jury, she must have had her change of heart between Nov. 15 and Dec. 1, 1892.

The police knew very quickly about Lizzie going to Alice's on the 3rd, as Lizzie herself testified at the Inquest (page 54):

Q. Where were you Wednesday evening?
A. I spent the evening with Miss Russell.
Q. As near as you can remember, when did you return?
A. About nine o'clock at night.

But she was not asked anything about the visit. It may have been what Knowlton was after when he pressed Alice (page 152) at the Inquest with:

Q. This is an inquiry in which every person is interested, to get at the bottom facts; is there any other I have not asked you about, which you know which is material to the question, that you have not stated? Can you tell me anythingelse concerning this matter that you have not already done? It is as much your duty to tell, as it is mine to ask.
A. Well, I am in a much better condition to tell it than I have been.
Q. That is one reason why I postponed it as long as I could. Is there any other fact that you can tell me that you have not told me?

What does Alice tell him about - the stick she saw under the bed.
Harry

Post by Harry »

The "Alice-in-charge" appeared in the Rochester paper (August 12):

"Mrs. George WHITEHEAD, a step-sister of the deceased woman, Mrs. TRIPP, a neighbor, and Miss RUSSELL, who was placed in charge of the household, were examined as to the relations of the members of the family.
diana

Post by diana »

I'm confused. Are you guys saying Alice kept silent about Lizzie's visit until the trial?
Also Alice, at the Inquest and Preliminary hearings, did not mention Lizzie's Wednesday night visit to her house.
Does this count as to the question of when the authorities knew Lizzie made a trip to Alice Russell's Wednesday evening, even tho you are correct in that Alice herself doesn't say until the trial (in testimony)-
At the Inquest Alice was asked:

"Q. You were well acquainted with the Borden family, all of them?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Was it at your house Miss Lizzie was visiting the night before?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Spent the evening there?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. When did she go home?
A. I think about nine o'clock; it may have been five minutes before or after." (Inquest, 146)

Am I missing something?
Harry

Post by Harry »

What I meant to say is that Alice did not reveal the contents of what was said on Lizzie's visit.

Lizzie herself at the Inquest said she visited Alice the night before.

No one followed up on that and the details were not revealed at that time.
diana

Post by diana »

Thanks, Harry. I knew I had to be missing something there.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for finding the MISS RUSSELL who was "in charge" of the girls.

I may have confused people by throwing things out and disappearing.
I couldn't help it- I'm on limited computer use. I thought about it tho- that it is not my normal tendency- so please excuse...

And thanks all for the extra info and backup.

Har's right about the whole content of the visit not being divulged- earlier- Even Harrington says Alice told Lizzie to tell what you told me- but at that point Lizzie just talks about the man that came.
Prelim
Then Miss Russell said "tell him all Lizzie, tell him about the man that you was telling me about." So then she said that about two weeks ago a man came to the door...
Kat

Post by Kat »

Kat @ Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:23 am wrote:Does this count as to the question of when the authorities knew Lizzie made a trip to Alice Russell's Wednesday evening,
I made a mistake here obviously, sorry.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for the Rochester paper source, Harry.

I don't understand why they would say Alice was 'in charge' of the girls. Maybe their way of saying they were chaperoned?

Was Morse staying at the house that whole time?

I have recently noticed that Mrs. Charles Holmes was around a lot during those days after the murders. She went to Lizzie's every day. I didn't know that before.