Was Andrew gay?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

rgreen4411

Post by rgreen4411 »

I wish I could believe Uncle John was sophisticated enough to prepare an alibi only to prevent being framed. Here's a man in his late fifties who goes to a fortune teller alone. He derisively referred to Abby as "the woman" after many times she had been his hostess.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Yooper @ Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:18 pm wrote:There is no evidence I'm aware of to suggest that Andrew Borden was gay, only imagination.
Well, back then in that time period, that really wasn't subject that was "out there" like it is now, so maybe he might have been and it was kept in the closet. A very well kept fanily secret.

As for one of the reason of Andrew bieng gay because he and Abby didn't have any kids, both of them were up there in age, so kids were not possible. After a while a woman can't bear children anymore.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
patsy

Post by patsy »

SallyG @ Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 am wrote:As I recall, there was a water pump in the barn. Why not just wash up there...I would imagine in the excitement no one would notice someone who had just arrived getting some water in the barn. Using pears to clean off blood seems stretching it a bit.

However, I do think Uncle John knew more than he was letting on. He probably suspected Lizzie right from the beginning...as soon as he heard about the murders! That may be why he was being so careful in setting up his alibi...to make sure Lizzie was not going to try and pin the murders on HIM! He was apparently not on her list of favorite people. But since he was taking note of every detail on his way back to the Borden house, he obviously had found out what had happened way before he reached the house.
I agree it does seem as if it's stretching it a bit, but it still seemed an interesting idea to me. Going to the water closet may attract more attention so maybe a last ditch attempt before going in? Although I don't buy the theory at all just pondering.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I doubt that Morse was concerned with Lizzie framing him when he arrived at the house after the murders, he was likely more concerned with being suspected of the murders himself. I agree, someone observant enough to remember badge numbers of streetcar conductors would likely be aware of crowds gathering and unusual activity about the premises. I expect Morse's main concern was to collect his thoughts about where he had been in order to establish his alibi. If he was aware that there had been a murder, it is possible that he didn't know who had been killed, maybe everyone including Lizzie, and there was no need to go rushing to the aid of anyone. Clearly, Morse was the first one suspected of the crimes, so any apprehension about it on his part was well founded, and he was used to looking out for himself first and foremost. His actions might have seemed selfish, even callous in retrospect, so he tried to arrange his testimony to warrant less need for concern on his part when he arrived. He was covering his own butt, something he had done all his life, and there was nothing sophisticated about it.
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
rgreen4411

Post by rgreen4411 »

I recall one source saying that Morse reeked of pears. Does anyone remember that?
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

rgreen4411 @ Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:37 pm wrote:I recall one source saying that Morse reeked of pears. Does anyone remember that?
Which source specifically?
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
rgreen4411

Post by rgreen4411 »

I am in Mexico and no longer have my books. I was hoping someone would remember an author saying Morse reeked of pears.