Dinner on August 4, 1892, and John V. Morse

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DJ

Post by DJ »

If Morse's schedule were open enough to ride out to the farm on the morning of the Fourth, I wonder exactly when he decided to visit the "never seen" relatives at the Emerys?
Really, what's the import of his visit, aside from gathering Mr. Borden's eggs and deciding-- it would seem-- at the last minute to visit these relatives?
Seems as if he could have checked ahead-- via one of his infamous letters-- and set up a time to meet them.
Said letter would have cost him less than the two streetcar rides he decides to take-- seemingly way out of character-- the morning of the Fourth.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It seems to me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that he heard about the relatives presence at the Emerys WHILE he was cruising around Swansea on Wednesday. He visited a few places and had his supper with one of the relatives I believe. So of course, it was spur of the moment to call on them before returning to Dartmouth next day.
I sound constantly like devil's advocate DJ, but all of your questions can be answered by reading the preliminary. Morse was on his way to do some things for Issac Davis I believe, stopped by Andrew's, had a meal, shot the breeze with Andrew, asked him if he wanted to take the drive too for company. Andrew, who had been vomiting, and no doubt had diarrhea (classic food poisoning), said he was taking some medication, and did not feel up to the trip out there in the buggy. Morse had a few little errands, was good enough to pick up the eggs- got back to the Bordens', was welcomed to stay over (he had his dinner in Swansea), and tottled off to try to catch the relatives next morning. I am not smelling anything sinister about Morse. He has an unfortunate face, and seemed a tad peculiar (and I could say the latter about a few of the bachelor friends of mine)! :lol:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The egg story

Q. Then you went over to Swansea and did an errand for Mr. Borden, got some eggs for him?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Did he request you to get them?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. And you saw Mr. Borden’s farmer about some cattle which you had bargained for from Mr. Borden, I understood?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. And got home about what time?
A. Somewhere not far from quarter to nine.
Q. Had they been to supper when you returned?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Did you have any supper at the house?
A. No Sir.
Q. You returned, as I understand you about quarter to nine?
A. I think so.
Q. You went in at the front door?
A. Yes Sir.

The return home Note he says the group of men out in the street was as it was generally. Morse was not alarmed and attached no immediate importance to it at first.

A. What time did I get back at noon?
Q. Yes.
A. I think about quarter to 12.
Q. You met Bridget at the door, or Bridget met you at the door?
A. I think she was at the door, partly sitting down on the stairs.
Q. When you came up the street, who, if anybody, did you see before you went into the yard, as you came up Second street?
A. No one that I could recognize. There might have been a few men along, the same as generally. I did
not see anything unusual about it.
Q. Which gate did you go into?
A. Into the north small gate.
Q. Where did you go?
A. I went around to the pear tree.
Q. But you did not have to go by the screen door to get to the pear tree?
A. Yes sir.
Q. Did not you see anybody in the entry way then?
A. No sir.
Q. Neither Bridget nor Mr. Sawyer?
A. No I did not.
Q. You went right back to the back door?
A. Yes sir.
Q. How long did you stay out there under the pear tree?
A. I might have been there two or three minutes.
Q. Did you see anybody in the yard at that time?
A. I do not think I did.
Q. Then you came back to the screen door, and there you found Bridget?
A. Yes sir.
Q. She said what to you?
A. She said Mr. and Mrs. Borden had both been murdered.
Q. What did you say?
A. I cannot tell you.
Q. You cannot think what you did say?
A. No sir.
Q. Was Mr. Sawyer there at that time?
A. Y es sir.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Inquest testimony of John Morse page 101:

Q. When did you leave the house?
A. Well, at about nine, but I should think about quarter or twenty minutes of nine.

Q. We went out in the sittingroom from the dining room, and Mr. and Mrs. Borden and I talked a little while; then she went to dusting around, doing her little chorse. Then Mr. Borden and I talked about some cattle I had; and then I went away.

Q. Did you say where you was going?
A. Yes sir. He was telling the night before, up at Emery's I had a niece and nephew from the west, and he told me where they lived, and wanted me to go see them.

Q. Did he tell you where they lived?
A. Yes sir, 4 Weybosset Street.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley @ Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:35 pm wrote:...and seemed a tad peculiar (and I could say the latter about a few of the bachelor friends of mine)! :lol:
I have to agree with this, then again...I've met so many married men (and women!) who also have peculiarities.

I wonder if we judge those who are married as more "normal" because they are balanced out by the personality of their spouse, so we tend to lump the two together?

Or, are single men more eccentric because they have no one around to tell them, "Stop doing that, Marvin...it's weird."

:grin:
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Allen

Post by Allen »

To clear something up really quick, Morse walked to the Emery's, but he took the streetcar home. He was let off at the corner of Pleasant and Second Streets and walked the remaining distance. Going back a few posts to something I wanted to address, hiring a team was basically the equivalent of hiring a taxi today. Horse cars would equal a city bus. Both popular and regularly used modes of travel at the time. There really wasn't any other way for Morse to get to Swansea short of having someone he knew with a carriage take him. Andrew had sold his horse and could not have provided transportation even if he would have accompanied him. It doesn't appear "out of character" for Morse to hire a team.

Inquest testimony of John Morse page 96:

Q. The last time you were there before this murder was when?
A. I should think somewhere about the 10th of July.

Q. How long did you stay then?
A. I did not stay but a short time. I was here overnight but I went down to an Aunt's on the Stafford Road at the time.

Q. What is her name?
A. Catherine Boudray.

Q. Before that, can you recall the last time you were there?
A. It was somewhere the last of June. I know Phebe Curry was sick at that time, she died a little afterwards, I think about the last of June.

Q. Did you stop all night then?
A. No sir, came over in the morning and went back at night. I can tell you all about that time if you want me to. There was a lady came over, Mr. Davis' daughter, with me. We drove over in the afternoon. I hired a horse, and Mr. Borden's daughter went to ride, we went down to the steamboat. I took her home after dark.

Trial testimony of John Morse page 138:

Q. Where is Weybosset street with respect to the Borden house?
A. It is just off Pleasant Street, and probably a mile or such a matter from Pleasant Street east.

Q. And that does not give us the distance from the Borden house. Will you give us the distance from the Borden house or about the distance?
A. Well probably a mile and a quarter.

Q. Did you walk there or drive there?
A. I walked there.

----------------------------

Q. You did return to the Borden house, did you, that morning?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. How did you come?
A. On the car, horse cars.

Q. Horse or electric cars?
A. Horse cars.

Inquesttestimony page 140:
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
SallyG

Post by SallyG »

I don't think there has ever been any evidence that John Morse was involved in any way with the murders. I think that during a murder investigation, everyone's movements and activities would look suspicious, when on any other day they would appear normal.

As far as John Morse feeding the girls information thinking they might be driven to murder......I just don't buy that. Morse had nothing to gain, no motive to want the Bordens dead, and I can't imagine that even in his wildest dreams did he think ANYONE in the household would commit a MURDER!!!

I really don't think the murders were planned....I think Lizzie herself wanted Abby dead...and had probably looked into poisoning her. When that failed, I think she probably axed her on the spur of the moment ... and then decided she had to do in Andrew as well. She probably figured he'd have no doubt as to who killed Abby...so she might as well kill him as well.

Now if someone could figure out what she did with the weapon...or could it have been a cleaver that sat in the kitchen drawer while the police were making a mad search for a HATCHET!

And I'll bet it's more than likely that the dress she burned was the one she wore during the murders. I'd love to know where she had THAT stashed for a few days!

No, I think John Morse was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...that or he and Andrew were cooking up something together. But I seriously doubt he was in cahoots with Lizzie!
Allen

Post by Allen »

Just as an aside I looked up death records for a Phebe/Pheobe Curry who died in Fall River in 1892. I didn't find any results. However, I did find results for a Phebe D. Currier who died in Fall River in 1892. Could this be the same woman with the last name mistaken during testimony? I thought this had been discussed in a prior thread but I haven't been able to locate it.
Allen

Post by Allen »

:oops: A few minutes after I made my last post I found the prior thread discussing Phoebe Currier. I also found one of the posts by Harry very interesting, because of the mention of Charles Sawyer living at the same address.

Harry posted:
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 1891 and 1892 Fall River city directories list Phoebe Currier boarding at 78 Second St. They also show Phoebe Warner, widow of Sumner, residing at that same address.

Also living at that same address in 1892 was Charles Sawyer who was drafted by the police to guard the side door on the 4th.

Curious and curiouser.

I think you have to look at Morse's visit on the 4th as part of his total involvement. I am not saying he was involved but he certainly is suspicious. Am not going to list all the things that make one feel that way as they have been discussed many times. No single incident convicts him yet they leave a lot unexplained and to be explored further.
viewtopic.php?p=29667&highlight=currier#29667
DJ

Post by DJ »

Going back to the inquest testimony, I cite two quick "for instance's"
where Morse's testimony does not corroborate with that of others.
Right away, he says that Lizzie takes some meals with her parents, aside from breakfast; then, when specifically questioned, he cannot cite any time in recent memory when she has done so when he has dined at the Bordens'.
There are numerous instances of testimony by others that Lizzie "no longer came to table" with Mrs. Borden, the usually reticent woman who had herself shared that information with friends and relations.
Second, Morse says he tells Mrs. Emery he cannot dine with her because he has another invitation to dinner.
She tells police that he leaves her with the impression that he is headed directly back to New Bedford.
Allen

Post by Allen »

DJ @ Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm wrote: Second, Morse says he tells Mrs. Emery he cannot dine with her because he has another invitation to dinner.
She tells police that he leaves her with the impression that he is headed directly back to New Bedford.
I have always put this misunderstanding down to Morse just being too vague in his description about his plans for the day. He might have said something like "I'm very sorry I can't stay for dinner I've accepted another invitation, and I will be heading over to New Bedford." Or something of that nature. Doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving for New Bedford at that time, but it could be taken as such. He might have had plans to go there later in the day, but just wasn't that specific.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Two other important pieces of information, relative (so to speak) to the case I was making for John V. Morse being a conduit of information about Mr. Borden's finances-- at least to Emma, who undoubtedly shared the information with Lizzie.
This is from the inquest testimony--
Emma testifies that Morse told her about the existence of a will made by Mr. Borden, one that he destroyed about fifteen years prior to the murders.
Morse tells Emma that Mr. Borden destroyed it. He is her sole source of information on this issue, she testifies.
Secondly,
Morse knows enough particulars about Mr. Borden's thoughts concerning his new will that he (Mr. Borden) wishes to make charitable bequests, including the farm in Swansea, which he is considering turning over to the Old Ladies' Home.
Emma testifies she does not know about this. If she had said she did, it would have opened a mighty big Pandora's box, connecting the knowledge to Lizzie and giving her a prime motivation for murder, in that significant properties would be willed out of the family.
So: Morse knows something that could render Emma and Lizzie incendiary.
Emma says he has spoken to her before, about the previous will and its destruction.
***Those are facts, according to Morse and Emma, in their inquest testimony.***
What's to stop Morse from telling Emma about what he knows of Mr. Borden's plans for a new will? Emma's "very dear uncle" (her words) has done so before.
Allen

Post by Allen »

If Morse did share information about Andrew's will to Emma or Lizzie, unless he had knowledge that Lizzie was already entertaining the idea of murder, it wouldn't involve him in the actual killings. Do we have any proof this was his motive? There would have to be intent for that specific outcome for him to be considered accountable for what took place. He may have contributed to her rage by sharing such information, but not have forced her to pick up an ax and kill. Only Lizzie is responsible for that. However, it might have allowed him to easily put two and two together after the fact and realize who had done it.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Q. I also meant to have asked you whether at any time you had any talk with Mr. Borden about a will, about his making a will?
A. He told me that he had a will once.
Q. Did you ever have any talk about it?
A. No sir.
Q. Did he ever say anything to you about a will, or anything that he proposed to do? I do not ask you what yet.
A. He told me that he had a will.
Q. Did he ever say anything to you about any proposition as to his purpose to make a will?
A. No sir.

Q. Or what he proposed to do by way of a will?
A. No sir.

Q. Did he ever tell you anything about any legacies he proposed to give in a will?
A. No sir.
Q. Did he ever tell you bout any bequests that he had a notion of making?
A. I think he said something about making--- he did not say how or anything like that.
(Mr. Jennings.) I would like to have the time fixed.
Q. Whether he ever did say anything to you about any purpose?
A. I think sometime he made a remark about a bequest.
Q. When was that?
A. I think somewhere within a year.
Q. Where were you and he at the time?
A. I think on South Main Street.
Q. What doing, walking together?
A. Just walking along.
Q. What was it he said?
A. That is all he said.
Q. What?
A. Something about some bequests that he would make; he did not say what they were, or anything about it; something about giving something away, bequest to somebody, he did not say who; something about these bequests that he--- he did not say anything more about it.
Q. What did he say?
A. He did not know but he might make some public bequests; words to that effect.
Q. Wont you tell me what he said?
A. He talked like he was going to make some public bequests; just in that way.
Q. That was sometime within a year?
A. Yes sir.
Q. Can you fix the time any better than that?
A. I could not.
Q. Did he say anything more specific than that?
A. No sir.
Q. Did he say anything about his farm, about giving that away?
A. We were going over---
Q. Was that another talk?
A. Yes sir.
Q. I will ask you when that was too.

A. That was some time in May of this year.
Q. What was it he said about that?
A. We were riding over by his place, we got to speaking about the Old Ladies’ Home, you know. He says “I would give them some land here, if I thought they would accept of it”; something to that effect.
Q. Nothing about a will then?
A. No sir.

Q. About giving it to them?
A. Yes sir, that is all.

John doesn't seem to know anything about a new will and not very much about any provisions of an old will either..
DJ

Post by DJ »

It's in Morse's inquest testimony, sworn. Very specific about the farm and leaving it to the Old Ladies' Home (in the will Mr. Borden was discussing with Morse-- the planned new one).
If Morse is saying one thing at the inquest, and one thing in this testimony, that brings his veracity into question even further.
But, then again, his inquest testimony about Lizzie dining en famille does not corroborate with the testimony of many others.
His testimony and Sawyer's differ markedly, about Morse's arrival the morning of the murders.
His inquest testimony about telling Mrs. Emery he had a dinner invitation at the Bordens' does not correspond to what she told the police when they checked her alibi.
Allen

Post by Allen »

DJ @ Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm wrote:Going back to the inquest testimony, I cite two quick "for instance's"
where Morse's testimony does not corroborate with that of others.
Right away, he says that Lizzie takes some meals with her parents, aside from breakfast; then, when specifically questioned, he cannot cite any time in recent memory when she has done so when he has dined at the Bordens'.
There are numerous instances of testimony by others that Lizzie "no longer came to table" with Mrs. Borden, the usually reticent woman who had herself shared that information with friends and relations.
When Morse arrived Wednesday they had already eaten. Mrs. Borden fixed him a plate and they sat and talked. So if Lizzie had been down to this meal with them he would not know. He also wasn't there for dinner, he ate in Swansea at Mr. Vinnicum's. Whether Lizzie sat down to dinner with them he wouldn't know. She did not come down to breakfast with them the next morning. But he does state she didn't always come down to breakfast in testimony.

On the visit before that he didn't take any meals with the Bordens. He testified that he ate at his aunt's house. During the visit when he had Miss Davis with him he took dinner and supper with them, and didn't see Lizzie. So Morse can only remember having taken three meals with the Borden's in the last few months. Morse states he can remember eating at the table several times with her in the last six months. I really don't see how he would've been able to speak with any certainty about how often Lizzie took meals at the table with the rest of the family. I'm not sure I could remember, going over a period of six months, when exactly the last time was that I sat down to eat dinner with someone I would visit only when the mood struck me.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Allen, it's a good point, and exactly why he should have answered, "I don't know-- I don't take that many meals with them."
Instead, in his testimony, he states that she does take some meals with her parents-- he should have left it vague, if he didn't know for sure, and especially since he knew that she didn't dine with them the few times he had.
Going back to your previous post-- yes, I think Morse (at the very least) got himself into some "deep doo-doo," as one of our former presidents was wont to remark.
He knew specifics about considerations Mr. Borden was making over the new will. I'm sure he underestimated how the nieces would react (again, at the very least), and found himself hearing Lizzie say something on the order of-- I will murder them first.
I think the money was the motivating factor in the murders. Emma and Lizzie were entirely dependent on Mr. Borden for their allowances. If he short-changed them (in their minds, or literally) in the will, that would have been it, for the rest of their lives.
Abby had (apparently uncharacteristically) complained about how she had to use most of her allowance, which was the same, for household goods and necessities. She certainly wouldn't be parceling out any of her share of an inheritance to them, particularly not after the way they treated her.
Whatever dislike Lizzie had for Abby fueled her ability (for lack of a better word) to strike those blows-- if you believe Lizzie did it. (I do.)
However, I think the murders were a bit more planned out-- beginning with the attempt to obtain the prussic acid, followed by Lizzie's possible use of another poisoning agent, given her parents' extreme nausea. Failing that, the hatchet. I think she and Emma knew that time was running low on the will, and once it was in place-- it wouldn't matter who died and when, particularly if the farm were going to the Old Ladies Home and other properties and monies were going to other parties, exclusive of Abby, Lizzie, and Emma.
Of course, Lizzie and Emma didn't want Abby to have much of anything (and certainly not more than they did), as witnessed by the property debacle with Abby's relations.
Bridget's testimony hints at a certain coolness about Lizzie that morning-- checking at the side door, leaving it open (but making sure the front door was fully locked, to be opened only from the inside), but making sure Bridget would be occupied outdoors before Lizzie ascended the front stairs.
I fear Lizzie's relations with her Father, which at one time were probably much warmer, began to cool after the robbery. Every day-- that key on the mantel-- saying, there is a thief among us. It must have galled Lizzie every time she espied it.
(It would be interesting to know whether he left it there when the daughters were in absentia. I wonder whether Lizzie asked Bridget if he was still leaving it there while they were gone.)
My point is-- I think there was some planning involved, probably by more than one party, and not just Lizzie herself. But, that's my theorizing.
Anyway, Allen, I appreciate your seeing how John V. Morse could have found himself in the middle of a mess, owing to information he admitted he had at hand, and which he may have well passed along, given Emma's testimony that Morse had told her about the previous will being destroyed, and there therefore being no will.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have always wondered why the maker of the first will (either the witnesses or an attorney) never came forward to make known the particulars of that will during the inquest, prelim and Grand Jury trial. I should also love to know why Andrew destroyed that will instead of making a codicil or amendments to it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I have some late comments to add here- sorry, please excuse...

DJ said that :

If Morse's schedule were open enough to ride out to the farm on the morning of the Fourth, I wonder exactly when he decided to visit the "never seen" relatives at the Emerys?
Really, what's the import of his visit, aside from gathering Mr. Borden's eggs and deciding-- it would seem-- at the last minute to visit these relatives?
Seems as if he could have checked ahead-- via one of his infamous letters-- and set up a time to meet them.
Said letter would have cost him less than the two streetcar rides he decides to take-- seemingly way out of character-- the morning of the Fourth.

I do think you mean that Morse drove out to the farm the day of the 3rd.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
In general:
And Morse heard from the kid's grandmother that they were at the Emery's, too. That would be Caroline Gardner, in Swansea. She was their only living blood grandmother. So he might have heard that in Swansea on the 3rd, but actually I don't think we know exactly when he may have gone there to the Gardners. The kids were around town I think from June or July.

Inquest
Morse
Q. The first you heard of her being there was from Mr. Borden?
A. No, I was at her Grandmother’s, they told me she was there, and had gone to Providence with one of her cousins. When I got off the cars, they got on. I just barely saw her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As for DJ's question about "what's the import of his visit, aside from gathering Mr. Borden's eggs..."
Yes I agree in that the gathering of eggs seems to be the only thing Morse accomplished on that trip to Swansea. He was to go there about a man for the farm; he was to go there about some oxen- he did nothing but get eggs, and visit there about 15 minutes - and he spent money on equipage to do nothing. I also agree about sending a note- or as DJ put it- "one of his infamous letters"- --well put.

Seaver took a witness statement from Mr. Eddy at the farm, Aug. 11th (page 36), in part:
Frederick Eddy made the following statement. “John V. Morse came over to this house Wednesday evening Aug. 3, between seven and eight o’clock. He drove a horse and top buggy; said it was a stable team. He came in the house and brought a rattan basket, took out three pears and laid on the table, said he brought them over from the Borden house. He said Mr. Borden sent him over to see how I was, and get the eggs. etc...

Morse left Fall River around 3:30 on Wednesday to go to the farm, yet he didn't get there until 7:30 (approx) and only stayed 10 to 15 minutes and did not accomplish any business and even Mr. Eddy was suspicious.
Morse put everything off until "Saturday" but of course whatever it was was put off indefinitely- due to a nasty murder.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Allen @ Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:05 pm wrote:
DJ @ Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm wrote: Second, Morse says he tells Mrs. Emery he cannot dine with her because he has another invitation to dinner.
I have always put this misunderstanding down to Morse just being too vague in his description about his plans for the day. He might have said something like "I'm very sorry I can't stay for dinner I've accepted another invitation, and I will be heading over to New Bedford." Or something of that nature. Doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving for New Bedford at that time, but it could be taken as such. He might have had plans to go there later in the day, but just wasn't that specific.
As an aside, this reminds me:
I've also found it interesting that Morse said he could have gone home on Wednesday at 6- back to the Davis place. Why does he say that?

Morse
Inquest
Q. When you came from New Bedford to Fall River did you have any set time to go back?
A. Not particular, no. I told Mr. Davis I would try to get back the next day. He says you will be gone two days, I guess, I will give you that. I could have gone back the night before at six o’clock or half past.
Kat

Post by Kat »

As for Andrew deeding away a farm- he has 2 farms. And also, I was thinking that Morse does seem to know more about Andrew's business dealings and wills than anyone other than Cook, his man of business. And Cook isn't really talking.

The earlier will sounds like one business partners would have because of the dating of it. It seems to have been destroyed after he and Almy retired their partnership. That would negate a will, once they split up.

I was also ruminating on the thoughts that Lizzie and Emma died still in possession of all that money, and also obviously did not want the Second Street property, nor the Ferry Street property, nor the farm! And they had no descendants to leave the ill-gotten gains to. Seems sad to kill for what turned out to be pretty much a *life-interest* in something- saving it all for what?
Allen

Post by Allen »

I think business with the farm and oxen were delayed due to Andrew's illness. Morse stated they were still discussing it when he arrived back at the house that night, so things might not have been definitely decided. Morse might also have wanted to wait until Andrew was well enough to accompany him, which is why things were put off. If he was doing business with Andrew, he might want to wait until Andrew could go with him. As for hiring a buggy I really don't think that's a big deal. Andrew would've had to hire a buggy had he gone to the farm himself, how else would the pair have gotten there? And if Morse wanted to go visiting very far from the Borden's hiring a team, or taking a horsecar, would be about the only way he'd get there. I'm guessing this was a normal mode of transportation. Is there testimony that Mr. Eddy had suspicions of Morse?

I don't think Morse planned much ahead for anything. Evidence of this would be his not even bringing so much as a change of clothes, and not making any specific date to show up to discuss this business with Andrew, in my opinion. His last few visits to the Borden's were very short, and for one he hired a buggy just to spend the day riding, and to go the steamboat with Emma and Miss Davis. What was the import of hiring a buggy for that? It seems to be his custom to go visiting around when he was in town. He did so on his recent prior visits also. He also seems to have made a point of taking meals with relatives on a regular basis. Wednesday evening he took dinner with Mr. Vinnicum. It could just be he didn't like what was on the menu at the Borden house that night. On the preceeding visit he went to his aunt's.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:24 am wrote:

I've also found it interesting that Morse said he could have gone home on Wednesday at 6- back to the Davis place. Why does he say that?

Morse
Inquest
Q. When you came from New Bedford to Fall River did you have any set time to go back?
A. Not particular, no. I told Mr. Davis I would try to get back the next day. He says you will be gone two days, I guess, I will give you that. I could have gone back the night before at six o’clock or half past.
Maybe if Andrew had not been ill, and able to accompany John to the farm, he would've just taken care of their business and gone home. That bit of testimony would be more evidence that Morse really didn't plan ahead. He had no set time to go there, or to come back.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Morse had said that Andrew had told him just to write to the farm about the business he had there, as it would save him (Andrew) the trouble.
I never knew if it was meant that Andrew would be at the farm that summer, therefore write to him there- or if Andrew meant *go do the business yourself and save me the trouble.* (I can't seem to find this)
:?:

The suspicion Eddy had was on the 11th in the statement he gave Seaver- that if Morse had not picked up those eggs on that Wednesday he himself would have had to come to Second Street on Thursday:
Witness Statements
Eddy
Since hearing of the murder, it has seemed to me a singular coincidence that he should have come over that night for the eggs, for, had he not, I should have taken the train and gone to Mr. Borden’s Thursday morning, arriving at the house about quarter to eleven or eleven.
~ ~ ~
No I don't think Eddy *testified.*

~ ~ ~
Morse
Prelim
Q. I do not care to go into the particulars of it. You had some business relating to Mr. Borden at the farm?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Something about hiring a man, was it not?
A. I went more particularly over there that day to see about some cattle I bought of him. I thought I would make arrangements to take them.

Eddy in W.S. pg. 36
...I said to him, after he got his eggs, “how about the oxen Mr. Davis of South Dartmouth was to have to use?” “I am going back and see Mr. Borden, and think we will make arrangements to get them back over Saturday morning”...

Of course, Saturday was the funeral...and they all had to come to Fall River!

Yes Morse seems like a fellow who blows in the wind and eats/sleeps where he lands. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's like 4 missing hours of Morse and the expense (I think that is more important than you do, I guess) and he just came home with eggs that they didn't even have for breakfast on Thursday. :wink:
Somehow, if they had had eggs for breakfast I can think Morse's Swansea visit was not in vain.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Are there any statements as to how long he was at Mr. Vinnicums? According to statements that was another reason that he went to that area, to visit and have dinner. He asked Andrew to accompany him, and Andrew declined. He does state Andrew asked him to get the eggs. If his sole reason for going to Swansea was to get those eggs, and he had not done any visiting or taken dinner with Mr. Vinnicum, then I might wonder myself.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:24 am wrote:

Morse
Inquest
Before he arrived he had no way of knowing that the Borden's had been so ill the last few days. He may have been expecting that he and Andrew would go out to the farm to take care of the business that day, and then he could return home that evening. But Andrew was too sick to drive over to Swansea. So he may have waited for Andrew to be feeling better so that two could take care of things together. If the business involved the both of them, and Andrew's farm, maybe he was more comfortable if they both saw to things.

I don't think John hired a team for the sole purpose of driving over to the Swansea farm to get those eggs or even to see about the business with the farm. He had also decided to visit at Mr. Vinnicum's. Andrew asked him to pick up the eggs, maybe to save Mr. Eddy a trip over the next morning.

I agree with SallyG, Morse was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If we look at his actions in context of how he behaved on previous visits there was really nothing out of character. They only become suspicious due to the fact the Borden's were murdered that Thursday morning. He was in the habit of showing up unannounced or "just as it happened", staying for whatever time he deemed appropriate, be it overnight or just for the day. He visited with different relatives while in town, taking meals with other relations than the Bordens. Had hired a team on at least one occassion previous to this for no other reason than an apparent joy ride. He doesn't seem to plan ahead, with no specific date to show up or leave. We can show he behaved this way prior to the murders, and yet these actions are the very ones that become so suspicious.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Well, you could view Morse as a will-o'-the-wisp, or as someone with
preordained motivations. His presence could be all unfortunate happenstance, or it could be highly calculated.
I don't believe a man who was so precise about his expenditures could be so otherwise disorganized. One does not become, and remain, "the success" I am led to believe he is, given such habits. (Unless one has a wife and/or hired help doing the organizing for one.)
I don't think he would have hired a team lightly, nor even taken a streetcar ride lightly. On his earlier visit, he may have well meant to have some "alone time" with Emma to discuss developing matters, and for all we know she may have covered the cost of the carriage then for "the pleasure of his company," shall we say?
I think the info about his bringing the three pears is most telling! Reminds me of one of our state politicians, who used to pocket finger foods at buffets, then dole these out to his staff. And Morse pitches money away on carriage teams and streetcars, not to mention train fare?
Here is a man we know communicates with others via the post. I'm inclined to believe that he knew the relations were visiting at the Emerys' via some mention from some relative in a postal, prior to hearing "the news" that Wednesday night, the third. Any relation of his is a relation of Emma's and Lizzie's. And they don't know, from their own communications, spoken and written?
Morse ***must*** sound as if he learns of the news that night, otherwise:
He ought to have sent a letter to the Emerys in advance of his visit,
Or at least made that visit his priority that afternoon, not some amble out to the farm that Mr. Borden was too sick to make on the Third anyway, though he might have felt like doing on the Fourth.
It bothers me, too, that Morse testifies he's on "good terms" with Lizzie, yet she seemingly avoids him, and/or he can't make time for a cup of coffee and cookie, a deux, with her in the kitchen before he's off that a.m. of the Fourth? As they supposedly haven't spoken the previous day or evening? Not one little five-minute chat?
If my uncle dropped in, and I *supposedly* hadn't spoken with/seen him all summer, and we didn't have at least a brief chat--
I don't call those "good terms," under any circumstances.
*They could have at least rendezvoused under one of their favorite spots, the pear tree.*
My point: Morse goes out of his way ***to distance*** himself from Lizzie for as much as a period of months before the murders,
but, at the inquest,
he testifies that they're on "good terms"?
I believe they (Morse/Lizzie) communicated after Mr. and Mrs. Borden went to bed the night of the Third. How difficult would it have been, given their proximity? I believe she told him then that she was planning to kill her parents the following morning, that there was something in it for him, and to please mention the dirty windows at breakfast, so Bridget would be assigned a lengthy, outdoors chore.
Moreover, I think he was more there (at the Bordens') for Emma than for Lizzie, that the plotting began on the carriage ride earlier that summer.
Blood is blood. He was Emma's "very dear uncle," and they were his sister's daughters-- a sister who would have come into a sizable fortune had she outlived Mr. A. J. Borden. Morse's life would have been very different, given that circumstance. I'm sure he mulled the thought more than once after he lay his head on the pillow. (Sister, may I borrow a thousand dollars to invest in such-and-such?)
Money aside, if Emma were desperately unhappy (as she, and Lizzie, obviously were), he may have well felt compelled to aid them.
I'm not sure of the nature and extent of Mr. Borden's relationship with Morse, other than for some reason (maybe Morse pressed him) he discussed business matters with Morse, which may well have been Mr. Borden's downfall.
Doesn't the last letter from Mr. Borden to Morse have to do with business, at the farm? Were most of their discussions regarding business?
Did Morse misrepresent his "success" to Mr. Borden, a man who may have well had twenty times (at least ten times), when he died, more than Mr. Morse did, when he died?
Allen

Post by Allen »

wrote:"DJ @ Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:59 pm"]
I don't think he would have hired a team lightly, nor even taken a streetcar ride lightly. On his earlier visit, he may have well meant to have some "alone time" with Emma to discuss developing matters, and for all we know she may have covered the cost of the carriage then for "the pleasure of his company," shall we say?
Well I've stated my opinions on the horsecar and hiring of the team. I really don't think it was that much of a luxury expenditure that it has to be suspicious. Horsecars were ridden by everyone. If they were that much of an expenditure I don't think they would've been so popular. But my problem with that scenario would be where was Miss Davis during this alone time? She accompanied Morse on the trip.

Here is a man we know communicates with others via the post. I'm inclined to believe that he knew the relations were visiting at the Emerys' via some mention from some relative in a postal, prior to hearing "the news" that Wednesday night, the third. Any relation of his is a relation of Emma's and Lizzie's. And they don't know, from their own communications, spoken and written?
I'm not sure how long it took the mail to get from one place to the other in those days, but I know it takes at least two to travel these days but a short distance. There could be the reason Morse wrote "IN HASTE" on his letter to Mr. Davis. It was my impression that the niece and nephew had not been there that long. Emma was not in town at the time to write any letters. Lizzie didn't write to Morse at all.
Blood is blood. He was Emma's "very dear uncle," and they were his sister's daughters-- a sister who would have come into a sizable fortune had she outlived Mr. A. J. Borden. Morse's life would have been very different, given that circumstance. I'm sure he mulled the thought more than once after he lay his head on the pillow. (Sister, may I borrow a thousand dollars to invest in such-and-such?)
My problem with that, just in my opinion, is that Morse did not profit what so ever from the death of the Bordens. He got no money, or land, or any benefit of any kind. Not only that but he left none of his own money to his very dear niece in his will. If he were that concerned with their financial welfare he might have left them something after he was gone.

Doesn't the last letter from Mr. Borden to Morse have to do with business, at the farm? Were most of their discussions regarding business?
Morse actually lived with the Bordens for a one year period. I have my doubts they only discussed business.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The very nice thing about being a bachelor of means is that you can do just as you please and when you please. Without a wife to nag, kids to worry about, the North 40 to plow, and any number of obligations that keep most people chained to a clock, Morse was his own man. That may be why he stayed a bachelor. Most "confirmed bachelors" I know very much enjoy being master of their own time and destiny. I don't know that he was a will'o the wisp as much as he was a free agent to come and go as he wished. Must be nice. . . .
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes he even went to California.
When he died, he had left IOU's in a box and had not gone after the lady who owed him money. He had several he had not collected upon. I don't think he was hurting for money- and/or he was a softie about IOU's...

It's a bit odd that Morse hired his equipage- he had been a horse trader- some think he should have had a horse handy whenever he wanted one. (That's just what I've read and heard, in other discussions, in past years.) Also apparently he went a ways to hire it- it was not on Second Street that he got it to go over to Swansea.
Annie and William Morse were probably around since June or July- as I stated earlier. The photo of William has written on it the month and year: "July, 1892."
DJ

Post by DJ »

Kat, you've been particularly forthcoming with interesting details re what Morse is up to on the Third, after he arrives in Fall River. Thanks!
And, I just don't see how Morse couldn't have known about the relatives' visitations at the Emerys', prior to Aug. 3. As you account, they had been there quite a while.
As for the IOUs-- he hadn't torn them up!
Allen, as for the carriage ride with Morse & Emma-- yes, they had co., but once they arrived, they could have certainly gone off for a private chat.
My point is-- I believe they wanted to meet and talk outside of the Borden household.
As I've said before, I firmly believe Morse would have liked to have had an investment pool.
Look, if Mr. Borden were asking Morse for business advice, and Mr. Borden were becoming far, far richer than Morse, don't you think Morse would have been the least little bit envious and bitter?
If his sister had lived, she could have pressed Mr. Borden to loan his brother-in-law money, to invest. If she had outlived Mr. Borden, she would have come into his fortune, or a large portion thereof.
My grandfather had a federal job, but on more than one occasion he borrowed money from a well-to-do sister, so that he could make property investments, which are often here today and gone tomorrow, particularly if they're a good thing. The property may be purchased by another party before even a bank loan can be secured.
There is no proof that Lizzie and Emma didn't give Morse some money. There is no paper trail saying they did, but Morse was certainly savvy enough not to leave one. However, in the absence of that, one cannot assume he didn't receive money from either one. His will mentions stocks in Fall River mills. Does he ever mention these prior to the trial? I haven't run across a reference to those, just the farm in Iowa.
Why should Morse mention Lizzie and Emma in his will? They're the equivalent of millionaires, in their day!
In her will, Lizzie even says that she's not leaving Emma anything, because Emma has her own money.
Emma leaves Lizzie a sort-of token one-thousand dollars, but the bulk of her estate goes elsewhere.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:45 am wrote:Yes he even went to California.
When he died, he had left IOU's in a box and had not gone after the lady who owed him money. He had several he had not collected upon. I don't think he was hurting for money- and/or he was a softie about IOU's...

It's a bit odd that Morse hired his equipage- he had been a horse trader- some think he should have had a horse handy whenever he wanted one. (That's just what I've read and heard, in other discussions, in past years.) Also apparently he went a ways to hire it- it was not on Second Street that he got it to go over to Swansea.
Annie and William Morse were probably around since June or July- as I stated earlier. The photo of William has written on it the month and year: "July, 1892."
Morse had been to Fall River on two prior occassions during that summer. If his niece and nephew were in town, and someone had felt that he ought to be made aware of it, they had these two opportunities to do so. Yet he wasn't made aware until the visit in August when the murders occured.

Inquest testimony John Morse page 94:

Q. What is your business?
A. When I am at home, farming.

Q. Here?
A. Nothing in particular. I have been helping Mr. Davis in the meat business he is in there.

Q. Have you had any connection with the horse business?
A. Not recently. I bought some horses here when I came two and a half years ago.

Q. All sold out now?
A. Yes sir.

Q. Have you had any dealings in horses since then?
A. A little occassionally, not to amount to anything.

Q. What relation is Mr. Davis to you?
A. None. Years before I went West, I worked for them in the meat business. I have always kept up correspondence since. It seems like home to me, I to stay there. Isaac C. Davis, his son, is in the meat business with him. The old man cannot see now, he has cancer. I stay there with them.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Double post my browser went haywire.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Emma might have known they were coming, or were already there, at the time of the carriage ride, earlier that summer. They were her first cousins, right? They may well have written her of their intended visit. If not, Emma and Lizzie probably would have heard through the town grapevine, which of course included their church. Lizzie seemed to get out and about, even if Emma didn't appear to as frequently.
Also, if Dr. Bowen were the Emerys' MD, as that newspaper account states, he probably would have known, too.
"Hold a good thought for me." -- Marilyn Monroe
Allen

Post by Allen »

What motive did Morse have to lie about when he found out his niece and nephew were at the Emery's? Even if he found out on a previous visit, he could've still went to visit them that Thursday morning as a social call. Just as he had visited others on this, and prior occassions. Even if he knew they were there, and had time to have written ahead to let them know he was coming, he could still have been at the Emery's that Thursday morning when the Borden's were killed. What would've been his motivation for lieing?
DJ

Post by DJ »

If John Morse knew Lizzie was planning-- if nothing went wrong-- that a.m. to murder her parents, he needed to get the heck out of the house. So, he treks over to see these relatives he's (allegedly) not seen in years, without giving them any prior notice, which would have been nice, especialy since one has just left, and one is ailing.
To make it seem like a spur-of-the-moment thing, he testifies he just learned they were there the night before, even though logic would deem he received the news prior to that, given the duration of their visitation and the number of people with whom he was in contact, who probably knew, probably including that man-about-town Mr. Borden.
IOW: Morse seems to be doing a lot of "a-covering" in order to avoid the types of questions that are being posed now:

(1) Why not set a date to visit? Let them know you wanted to see them? Request a convenient time? We know Morse is not averse to letter writing (which makes me think he's much more of a plan-ahead person than not)-- even he and Mr. Borden exchange posts. Morse and Emma. Morse and the Davises.

(2) Considering how long it's been since he's seen these relations, why doesn't he make it the priority on this visit, as opposed to the trip to the farm?

John Morse's answer: "Because I didn't know they were there until the evening of Aug. 3."

(And because he needed a pretty good excuse to be out of the house that a.m., if you believe he had prior knowledge, and I do.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well shoot, he could just have left from Swansea Wednesday night and need not have been in the house at all. He probably wished he had done so later on. I am not sure being a letter writer makes you a plan ahead person. I write letters like mad and am a terrible procrastinator. Sorry, I wish I could see something sinister in John on this-but I believe he had just learned of the visit of the relatives, and figured while he was in town- why not? He could not set a date to visit if he did not learn they were in town some time beforehand. I have some relatives that are LOW on my priority visiting list- the trip to Swansea was the reason he came over in the first place and we don't know how close he was to these cousins. I have in-laws and outlaws I wouldn't cross the street to visit. :peanut19:
Allen

Post by Allen »

Shelley @ Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:06 pm wrote: I have in-laws and outlaws I wouldn't cross the street to visit. :peanut19:
I know that feeling myself Shelley. There are some relatives that make me just :pale: to think about running into them when I'm out somewhere.
Allen

Post by Allen »

I agree that he just learned they were in town. But I really don't see why he would lie if he had known they were in town. He could've said "Yes, I knew they were in town, I'd heard some time back they were, and took a mind that I'd go visit with them." That was the point I was trying to make. The alibi wouldn't have changed, either way he would've still been at the Emery's all morning.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, Morse came to visit the Bordens in late June and also in July.

Also, please see my post, previous page here, from Saturday.

Here is partial post by me:
In general:
And Morse heard from the kid's grandmother that they were at the Emery's, too. That would be Caroline Gardner, in Swansea. She was their only living blood grandmother. So he might have heard that in Swansea on the 3rd, but actually I don't think we know exactly when he may have gone there to the Gardners. The kids were around town I think from June or July.

Inquest
Morse
Q. The first you heard of her being there was from Mr. Borden?
A. No, I was at her Grandmother’s, they told me she was there, and had gone to Providence with one of her cousins. When I got off the cars, they got on. I just barely saw her.
Morse knew about the kids in July. What we don't know is how long they visited at the Emery's. As I checked more info, it seems that Morse might have meant he knew the kids were in Swansea at their grandmothers, from their grandmother, but maybe Andrew told him that that week they were at the Emery's (and not that the grandmother told him that).
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think he has missing time, and these were his brother's relatives (Emery's) and these were his niece and nephew.
Relatives who might have lied for him.
Since the only people who would know if Andrew had informed Morse to go see the kids as Morse states, are dead, we don't know that he didn't make that up Thursday while under that pear tree when he arrived back at Second Street.
DJ

Post by DJ »

First, if you believe Morse had prior knowledge and was thus mixed up in the bloody mess, he comes back to help with the damage control. Otherwise, Lizzie has no truly sympathetic (I'm excluding the Harringtons--Hiram pretty well fingered her anyway) relative with her until Emma makes it down.
I also think Emma sent him down there, for that very purpose-- my very dear uncle, please see that Lizzie isn't thrown to the wolves before I can return. Of course, he must cover his own "a," too, which contributes to many of his odd actions, IMHO.
From my understanding of what was in Mr. Borden's last letter to Morse, the invitation to come was "open" (within a certain time frame), that he didn't have to show on a specific day. It makes me wonder why he didn't come down on a Sunday, or whatever day he had off from work, as Morse testifies that he's missing time at work with Davis to be in Fall River.
Now, it's somewhat odd to me that Morse held on to that letter-- it's nothing sentimental, just "business as usual." It's the sort of thing most people of the era would have tossed in the fire. If the agreement is between him and Mr. Borden, there's no reason to hang on to it.
Also, does Morse just happen to be carrying it around with him when he arrives in Fall River?
I believe it's part and parcel of his "a" covering-- it gives him a reason, from the deceased, to be present, in case the authorities become inquisitive about his presence.
It also gives him a "moment," at the inquest, to wax sentimental over it being Mr. Borden's last missive.
If Morse carried that letter with him, but no bag (convenient. for appearance's sake), to Fall River, he ratchets up even farther on my
"suspicion meter."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

We will be timing Uncle John's morning walk to Weybossett Street this weekend- including his stop at the post office (or where it was in 1892). We do not know how long he waited to be served at the post office, but we do have the general route. I believe he took a horse car on the return trip to the Borden house- not on the morning eastward trip to see the Emerys. We are also taking into consideration John's age, warm weather, etc. We will also measure the distance. I think his time line fits perfectly if we agree he left the house around 8:40-45 a.m. Prelim:

Q. What time did you go away?
A. I think about quarter to nine.
Q. Quarter before nine?
A. Yes Sir

Q. You say when Mr. Borden let you out, he hooked the door after you, and he remained inside
himself?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. That you think was about quarter of nine?
A. I think it was.
Q. Can you give me an idea how long you sat at breakfast?
A. Not a great while. I do not think we were there more than 30 minutes. I could not tell exactly about that.
Q. Can you tell me how long you sat in the sitting room after breakfast?
A. Probably an hour and three quarters.

A. I came down to the Post Office and wrote a card, and went from there out to the north door, and went up Third street; from there to Pleasant street, up Pleasant street to Weybosset street, No. 4 to Daniel Emery’s.
Q. That is way up to the eastward?
A. Perhaps a good mile up there.

Q. How do you fix the time as about quarter to nine when you left the house?
A. Because I thought I would give them time to get their work done up in the morning. I could not go in the afternoon.
Q. How do you fix the time you left as quarter to nine?
A. I looked at my watch.
Q. When you left?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Then you fix it by having looked at it?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Then it was quarter to nine?
A. Within a few minutes of it, I know it was somewhere there.

Q. Did you go straight up in the horse cars, up to Emery’s?
A. No Sir, I walked up.
Kat

Post by Kat »

DJ, I'm with you on the letter in Morse's pocket. It's seemed odd to me- like a letter of referral or recommendation or something. As if he needed one.
Maybe he had a bad memory and wanted it to refer to as to what he was supposed to be doing- because he sure didn't do it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, I've read the Prelim 5 times, thanks Shell.
Are you typing all that? That's a lot.

Checking the timing is a good idea. I've only done it in a car. It's not a great part of town now, is it?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, the walk up Pleasant Street is not too bad, but Weybosset is just a tad rundown. I met one of the neighbors though, next door to the Emery house and he was very nice- fascinated to learn about John's visit there so long ago- and of course, knew all about Lizzie. Maybe he thought I was casing the joint with my camera, planning to burgle it later! :lol:

I thought maybe John happened to have that letter because he pretty much only had the one suit; men had an inside breast pocket, and it may have been in there since he received it. Nobody would believe all the notes, bills, gum wrappers, receipts and junk from the past 3 months I have in my purse, Just a thought.

I have put the prelim testimony about the time in because forum folks usually demand that you back up what you say with SOURCE DOCUMENTS, so I now try to do that more often, and a great many people have not read the entire body of source docs. I will be at the house 10 years come August 4th and in that time, the guests who have read any of the primary source material, I could count on both hands. Many have read or know about Brown's book, and Spiering. The book I recommend in the gift shop is Joyce William's, now that Past and Present is out of print. I also wanted to mention the walking route we are taking Saturday morning from John's testimony. MB was kind enough to tell me just where the old post office would have been exactly.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Shelley @ Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:20 am wrote:Yes

I have put the prelim testimony about the time in because forum folks usually demand that you back up what you say with SOURCE DOCUMENTS, so I now try to do that more often, and a great many people have not read the entire body of source docs. I will be at the house 10 years come August 4th and in that time, the guests who have read any of the primary source material, I could count on both hands.
I appreciated you posting the testimony Shelley. It's something I always try to do also. I think reading the source documents and using them to back up what you are saying is important when posting because it shows you've done your homework on the subject you are discussing. Also some things you may think are true, if you haven't reread the source to refresh your memory, might prove to be a little less accurate.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

There is also the consideration- and a very important one- that in 1892, there are discrepancies in people's timepieces. A little further down in that testimony posted above, John fudges a bit to cover himself, and says he recalled it being after 8:30 he recalled glancing at his pocketwatch. So all through this case (which is MADDENING) since nobody's timepiece agreed perfectly with anybody else's, we are stuck with only approximate times, usually disagreeing at most, 10 minutes in some cases. I have the most faith in the city hall clock and the police station clock. I think it was Mather who actually backed into South Main to check out the big City Hall tower clock when he testifies Andrew left the store where he was checking on Clegg's window and saw that it was 10:40. When they asked him why he did this especially, he says because he was thinking about his lunch. I love these little remarks because it makes it more believable. Just as when John said he did not want to get to Emerys too early because the lady of the house had to do morning work (beds, dishes, etc.) and he did not want to be a nuisance arriving early. Making calls was more of a social art in those days, and even old grizzled John Morse had some small sense of decorum not to arrive and burst in on the ladies at an inconvenient time. That makes him more real to me.

I felt sorry for poor Addie Churchill making up 7 beds that morning! I would have put Addie Cheetham to work helping me! I think I may also time the walk Addie made from her house to Hudner's market this weekend- she thinks she left the house just before 11 to go there. Imagine- she might just have smacked into the killer on the street coming out ! I try to imagine the roofs off all these little hives of activity and can picture Bridget going upstairs as Addie was putting her hat on to go to Hudner's, while upstairs in the guest room at #92, Abby is oozing on the floor. Fact is so much more intriguing than fiction- nobody could WRITE this stuff! :wink: :roll: :smile:
SallyG

Post by SallyG »

For the life of me, I can't see John Morse finding out about Lizzie's plan to murder her parents and making himself scarce so she could do it.

If I was visiting a relative and found out they were planning murder, would I make sure I was out of the house when it was done? Of course NOT!

John Morse had nothing to gain, he had no argument with Andrew, and who knows HOW he felt about his nieces. Just because they were his deceased sisters daughters does not mean he loved them and was looking out for their welfare. I doubt we even know what his relationship was with his deceased sister. They may not have been close at all. It seems to me his real friendship had been cultivated with Andrew.

Nope, I still think John Morse was in the wrong place at the wrong time.