"IT IS HERE" . . . .

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

william

"IT IS HERE" . . . .

Post by william »

"--THAT DREADED DAY OF DOOM IN AUGUST, WHEN SHE DEVISED THE DEMONIC DEED THAT DID THEM IN." (or did she??)
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

And a memorable Fatal Fourth to all! I'll have something interesting to share tomorrow...
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

Here in the broiling midwest, where I think it's already 95 degrees out, that steamy Aug. morning of long ago is on my mind. This is in remembrance to Andrew and Abby and any others affected by the events of the day.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Sad greetings on this fatal 4th to all. Remembering Andrew and Abby Borden...may they rest in peace. It was indeed a fatal 4th. I lost my job today because of a policy change dealing with something on my record from over 5 yrs ago. I was honest about it on my application when they hired me a yr ago but because of the policy change I was called in to H.R. @10am and terminated. :sad:
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

Wow SteveS, sorry to hear that you're another casualty of a brutal fourth. :cry: Best of luck to you.
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

Keeping the poor victims in my thoughts on this solemn anniversary.
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California. --Edward Abbey

http://unnaturalhistory.blogspot.com
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Thank you kssunflower. I appreciate that. I'll start pulling myself up by the bootstraps after the shock wears off.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Harry

Post by Harry »

Wow, sorry to hear that, SteveS. Not a good day indeed.

My experience is that it usually works out better for the person in the long run. May take a bit of time and worry but things have a way of working out.

Good luck in finding something soon.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
SallyG

Post by SallyG »

SteveS. @ Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm wrote:Sad greetings on this fatal 4th to all. Remembering Andrew and Abby Borden...may they rest in peace. It was indeed a fatal 4th. I lost my job today because of a policy change dealing with something on my record from over 5 yrs ago. I was honest about it on my application when they hired me a yr ago but because of the policy change I was called in to H.R. @10am and terminated. :sad:
I've definitely been there and done THAT....hang in there..it's not the end of the world!! Definitely file for unemployment immediately...you were let go through no fault of your own and should have no problem collecting!

Good luck....it will all work out for the best!
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Sorry to hear what happened SteveS. Isn't there some kind of legal thing you can do about the way they terminated you? I mean if you told them about wouldn't it be wrongful termination? They knew about the situation when they hired you.

Well hope you find something.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Smudgeman

Post by Smudgeman »

Sorry Steve, but everything will work out, trust me, been there before. The company I worked for for 8 years went out of business last August during the start of the Mortgage crisis. They told us all to go home, no severance package, nothing. I filed for unemployment and got that for a month, then I found another job making more money and closer to home. Sometimes good things come out of a bad situation.
"I'd luv to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair"
Bette Davis
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Thank you for caring smudgeman. I am glad your situation worked out for you. I am going to have trouble even finding the most basic of employment because of the reason that caused me to be dismissed in the 1st place. I am, like you, hoping this will all be for the best in the long run but in the mean time with no money comming in and bills and living expenses one does tend to worry and question ones self worth.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

So sorry to hear about this Steve S. It seems so wierd that a policy change would do that, you would think you would be grandfathered in seeing you've worked there this long a time. Wish you the best, I truly know it is not easy at all, but we're friends here on the forum and we're all rooting for you.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Best of luck to you Steve. Unemployment will most definitely rule in your favor. No doubt, the job you're looking for will come along in time.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Thank you Lorraine and Grace. It is a very difficult time for me right now but with the grace of God and all my forum friends supporting me, I know I will come out of this ok. It's amazing how we define ourselves by what we do for a living and how much of our self worth we put in that.
Maybe thats a little how Lizzie felt in her life at that point on the fatefull day. No self worth under the circumstances and had her back against the wall.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Steve S., You will make it through this. I came to the point that I believe you work to have money to live. However it doesn't have to run your life. One ot the best quotes that I have ever heard was said by Eleanore Roosevelt: "The only one who can make you feel inferior is yourself". Come on now--New Englanders are tough, you can do it!!
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Steve S, I too am sorry to hear about what happened to you. I agree with the others, something even better might come along. Keep your faith up.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well that was pretty crummy, SteveS! Sounds like time for a visit *home.*
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Wow Lorraine, I can't believe you mentioned that quote from Eleanor Roosevelt. I was just repeating that quote to myself. I am trying to live by it. Yes, I am trying to kick in my New England Yankee stubborn pride in full gear to get through this but it is pretty scary at the moment. Thank you Debbie and Kat also. Yes Kat.....if there ever was a time I need a visit home it is now....would be better for my soul then chicken soup for a cold :smile: but unfortunately I am not even sure where the food money is going to come from never mind a trip home but definitely if there ever was a time I needed it...it would be now.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is there anything keeping you in Texas? I'm really sorry this is happening to you!
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Yes Kat I live with and am romanticaly involved with someone here in Texas plus my financial situation just doesn't allow for it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Okay Dokay. Thanks for being candid. I was getting worried.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Thank you Kat and everyone else for your concern about me during this trying time. I am hoping that I hear from a prospective employer in the comming week. I am saying a prayer and keeping my fingers crossed.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Don't forget to cross your toes too!!!
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

LOL I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed. :grin:
Kat

Re: "IT IS HERE" . . . .

Post by Kat »

william @ Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am wrote:"--THAT DREADED DAY OF DOOM IN AUGUST, WHEN SHE DEVISED THE DEMONIC DEED THAT DID THEM IN." (or did she??)
Hello William!

This past day, August 11, Lizzie Borden was arrested! She is spending a fitful night in the Matron's room at the jail on Granite Street. Today she will be arraigned for "probable cause", plead "Not Guilty" and be shipped off to Taunton jail.
It's not over yet... :shock:
Ad

Post by Ad »

Today; Austust 12th, Lizzie enters a plea of *not guilty* and is moved to Taunton jail to await the preliminary hearings on the 22nd and the 23rd of August
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I have always wondered what was going thru her head when was being arrested and arraigned. Was she sedaded or something?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

That question by snokks makes me wonder also if during her stay at Taunton jail, was Dr. Bowen or any another doctor perhaps in a closer location allowed to visit and give her morphine, etc?
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I think that she might have taken something to take the edge off, but she had to be very careful with taking too much because I'm sure she was very careful with what she said to anybody. If she became too out of it, she might reveal something that would would do her harm.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's a good point about *sedating* Lizzie. I don't know as she had it so bad there in Taunton- but then I can't really say from my desk in 2008.

But she was family friends with Mrs. Wright I believe and was treated well.

Emma returned alone to Second Street, except for Morse and the new housekeeper, Mrs. Barker. The girls now finally being separated through their travails- I believe this is when Emma began to lose her influence over Lizzie and that Lizzie finally started to change. She would no longer be Emma Borden's sister, or Andrew Borden's daughter, but just *Lizzie Borden*.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Is there any information about the new housekeeper Mrs. Barker?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Her name came from a newspaper story. Maybe someone else knows?
Reasonwhy

Re:

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat wrote: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:07 am That's a good point about *sedating* Lizzie. I don't know as she had it so bad there in Taunton- but then I can't really say from my desk in 2008.

But she was family friends with Mrs. Wright I believe and was treated well.

Emma returned alone to Second Street, except for Morse and the new housekeeper, Mrs. Barker. The girls now finally being separated through their travails- I believe this is when Emma began to lose her influence over Lizzie and that Lizzie finally started to change. She would no longer be Emma Borden's sister, or Andrew Borden's daughter, but just *Lizzie Borden*.
Kat, here is the post (Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:07 am) where you identify Mrs. Barker as the new housekeeper. And that her name came from a newspaper story (a couple of posts up, in that same thread). Still looking for the Taunton jail reference re Bridget…
Debbie

Re:

Post by Debbie »

SteveS. wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm Sad greetings on this fatal 4th to all. Remembering Andrew and Abby Borden...may they rest in peace. It was indeed a fatal 4th. I lost my job today because of a policy change dealing with something on my record from over 5 yrs ago. I was honest about it on my application when they hired me a yr ago but because of the policy change I was called in to H.R. @10am and terminated. :sad:
I am so sorry to hear about you losing your job.
Hopefully you will find one that is much better.
Debbie
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Rest in Peace Mr. and Mrs. Borden.

The fatal fourth, it sure did come around quick this year. The older I get, the quicker I am changing the calendar over to a different month. Has time actually accelerated, or is it just me?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi, Debbie!
Yes, exactly what I’ve been thinking and experiencing! And the picture in my mind of changing the calendar page…absolutely :!:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks reasonwhy, it’s the allusion to Bridget working at Taunton jail that I’m interested in because if I said that I was wrong, and would like to know, because it was the jail at New Bedford, awaiting Trial.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Just glanced thru a few articles and Bridget resided with the Hunts at the New Bedford jail house (Hunt living quarters). There is an article in the Dec 4, '92 Boston Globe where they note the irony that Lizzie will once again be living in the same "household" as Bridget during the Grand Jury hearings.

As you note Kat, Taunton is where Lizzie was held for the majority of time between the Preliminary Hearing and the Trial.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:37 pm Thanks reasonwhy, it’s the allusion to Bridget working at Taunton jail that I’m interested in because if I said that I was wrong, and would like to know, because it was the jail at New Bedford, awaiting Trial.
Kat, I can’t find it now, so I apologize for my post :oops:
Kat

Post by Kat »

That’s OK, in the publishing world it’s merely called a typo.