Fall River Historical Society BIG NEWS

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Fall River Historical Society BIG NEWS

Post by Stefani »

Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
diana

Post by diana »

That IS big news!! My plans were for a third trip back to Fall River in 2011 -- may have to move it up!
andrea

Post by andrea »

Wow - sounds terrific! Sure wish I lived closer to Fall River...

And so neat that you're the special tour guide on the 4th, Stefani :smile:
Really, I don't know - I am away so much myself.... L.A. Borden
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I can't wait to see the bed spread and shams laid out on a real bed!!! They are setting up on Monday. I helped a little today, and offered some advice.

It is going to be super duper neat! Apparently, while some of these item have been on display, they have never been seen open since the days of the trial.

The Historical Society has been given some amazing things in their research for the new book. Some things cannot be exhibited, but will be in the book. Their collection has grown just of late!
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Trollibear

Post by Trollibear »

:cry: Oh man, I wish I could be there to see this. That is so cool.

( Hello Mutton Eaters! Ginny here.)
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I'd love to see all that stuff, especaillly the scrapbook kept by Jennings! That would be awsome!
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Oh wow, I too, wish I lived closer. Drats!

It all sounds like it will be so fascinating to see, and I'd love to see the personal letters, photos, etc.
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

Can we get a traveling exhibit, a la Titanic? :wink:

What I'd give to take a tour.
"To wives and sweethearts - may they never meet."
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Stefani--What time is your special tour? I hope I can make it.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Every hour on the hour on the 4th.

9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4. :wheelchair:

Wow, when I see it in those numbers, I guess I should ask for a raise! :money:

Just kidding. I am doing this for free as a volunteer. I have to work off my membership dues! :bounce:

Just kidding again. What a silly Sunday I am having. :silly:
Read Mondo Lizzie!

annmarz

Post by annmarz »

I wonder if it is possible to glean any new information and/or theories about the case from the objects to be on display. I hope someone with forensic expertise is able to view them!
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I remember Mrs. Brigham pointing out the bed linens on display many years ago. I thought the blood stains looked like rust!
This is certainly worth a trip to Fall River. Hope I can manage it before the exhibit comes down!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Drat, I wish I could make it. Maybe by October. :cry:
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

We need to all settle on a date we can all make it and take over the joint! ;-)
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Wow, Stef! I didn't realize you were doing ALL the tours that day. You're one busy lady!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I am only doing the Lizzie exhibit so it isn't as hard as it sounds. I don't know enough about the house to do that tour, even though I must have heard it a dozen times.

I get to stay put and do my thing. They moved the Borden exhibit into the drawing room! That is news that only you have heard!

They moved the sitting room to the Borden room, to make a much bigger space. It is the first room on the left, across from the dining room. The bed is all set up and very lovely. The spread is still folded however.

They hang everything on Tuesday. Lots of surprises are in store! :peanut20:
Read Mondo Lizzie!

SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I have been lucky enough to have seen the bed linens a few times (never unfolded) and I agree with Stuart that the blood stains reminded me of rust stains. Will be very interesting ( and maybe somewhat telling) to see the linens unfolded and on an actual bed and see exactly where the blood stains were in relationship to Abby on the floor.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Those of you on FaceBook . . . . have you been reading the daily updates from the Fall River Historical Society??? Worth joining just for that.

Lots of inside info about Parallel Lives from Michael Martins himself! :cool:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fall-Rive ... 5323249208

This photo is for Augusta! 
Read Mondo Lizzie!

andrea

Post by andrea »

Swell! I didn't realize the Fall River Historical Society had a Facebook page. Thank you for the heads-up. The teasers they've posted for Parallel Lives are terribly intriguing!
Really, I don't know - I am away so much myself.... L.A. Borden
jcurry

Post by jcurry »

I searched around and Googled Fall River Herald News and there is a big article about this and a picture of the bedspread on the bed. Here it is:

http://www.heraldnews.com/features/x272 ... first-time
DJ

Post by DJ »

Many Thanks for the above link!!!

And it's hard to believe there's so little blood on the spread-- anyone else of a mind that Lizzie switched it out? If she had inadvertently left a bloody handprint on it (say, steadying herself) then that would have been necessary.

I had never thought this until seeing so little blood on this spread.

(She could have easily put a few sprinkles on a new spread by dipping into the ample store of blood on the floor.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the link!

Seeing all the surviving evidence in context must be really something!

When I saw and smelled the *dusting cap* which is the large handkerchief, it was not bloody, tho it was described as *soaked in blood* at the courtroom. Since then I've wondered about the little marks on the bedspread as well- because we would expect much more blood.

My question has been- were these items laundered by the Waring family sometime before donation?

I can't figure out how these items in particular could last these many years, if they had had the amount of blood on them as there ought to have been, and also survive burial in the Borden back yard, resurrection, re-burial and resurrection again, then further storage awaiting the trial, then in a hip-bath under other objects for many years, then handling to move them, examine them by who-knows-how-many, then donation and only after that are we assured that no more was done to these artifacts.

I'd think they would be decrepit and falling apart due to these conditions I've described.

(Can also read Hatchet issue #23, Lead article "On the trail of the bloody handkerchief" by KK.)
jcurry

Post by jcurry »

Was the bedspread and hankerchief buried? i THOUGH it was only clothing.

The fall river hist soc must take very good care of what it has! Good point about if it was washed in the years before donation. Doubt it since the defense attorney seems to have just secreted it all away soon as the trial was over. That stuff was so close to lizzie all those years rigtht there at june and french street...i googled it.

Very little blood. trial evidence from doctors said assailant would be sprayed on lower body from doing abby, i think. Standing, surely. Kneeling down, grabbing hair switch, upper body. both a skirt and waist were seen being burned by russell so maybe blood got on both. But no much.

I have a quilt over 150 years old. Doesn't look as good as that bedspread!
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

DJ @ Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 am wrote:Many Thanks for the above link!!!

And it's hard to believe there's so little blood on the spread-- anyone else of a mind that Lizzie switched it out? If she had inadvertently left a bloody handprint on it (say, steadying herself) then that would have been necessary.

I had never thought this until seeing so little blood on this spread.

(She could have easily put a few sprinkles on a new spread by dipping into the ample store of blood on the floor.)
I think the bed spread may be just the way it was found in 1892, lack of blood and all. If it had been laundered thoroughly enough to remove most of the blood, why would some of the blood remain? I've said it many times, but based upon exactly what do we expect the bed spread to be covered in blood? What precedent can be cited? Try this out: Maybe that's all the blood produced in a hatchet murder. Maybe that's what we ought to expect rather than preconceived notions about buckets of blood. This may also imply that the murderer would not be covered in blood.
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

Of course, the amount of blood would hinge on which blow stopped her heart. Somewhere I've read there was a chair by Abby's head near the wall and the legs were splashed with blood. Is this true?

(Thanks also for that link. It really takes you back to the scene.)
"To wives and sweethearts - may they never meet."
diana

Post by diana »

I filled out the form on the FRHS website a long time ago when they first began soliciting numbers for a first run of Parallel Lives. They indicated that providing your information would generate e-mail updates about the book but I've received nothing. Has anyone else? Should I re-enter my info, I wonder?

Too bad I don't care to belong to Facebook -- it looks like I'm missing out on some good postings from the society.

Thanks 'jcurry' for the Herald link!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Oh my Gosh!!! Stefi did a phenomenal job today presenting the Borden material. She made everything accessible to newcomers to the Borden murders as well as us old die-hards. There was the cutest little boy on my tour who asked a million questions. Stef had the patience to answer his questions and then impart some new information to draw the adults back into the topic.

I learned that Lizzie didn't speak "Italy" but the Italy book was from her library. She sent her friends postcards from places she visited, but she put them in envelopes with no return address so no one would read her mail but the intended person. She put a cute bunny stamp on one postcard and so much more...

I especially liked the photographs showing the Borden house from Crowe's yard and from the Chagnon yard. It was very different from what I expected.

Stef and I had a brief chat between tours about Abby's death and the amount of blood.

I wish you all could have attended. Stefani was bright, interesting, responsive to the crowd...in other words, brilliant and totally engaging.

On my tour, at least 5 other people said they had come to the museum today just because Stef was presenting.

Kudos to Stef!!! Great job well-done!!!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

You are sooooo sweet!! It was a joy to meet you today and what a surprise!

I am almost exhausted from the day. i think my adrenaline kept me going. The room had no air conditioning, but we had a really powerful fan that circulated the air quite nicely. It was a hot, humid day today in Fall River!

I saw a lot of people. On one tour I pointed out that the family bible pages had the wrong death date on it for Andrew and Abby, it said August 2. The man asked, "So when did they die?"

I seriously thought he was joking. So I asked, "Really?" and he said yes. I said August 4th, 118 years ago today. He was sooooo surprised. He said he had no idea. He had been to the B&B and took the tour but they never mentioned it was the anniversary. He just assumed it was like that everyday!!! It was hilarious!

I met people from all over the country. It was a treat and an honor to do the tours. I do another tomorrow at 11 for the Pear Essential Players. I must go study now to be ready for them!!

:study:
Read Mondo Lizzie!

patsy

Post by patsy »

How exciting for you, Stef, to be a part of this and see it all in context. And getting to meet so many people interested in the Borden case. . .

Sounds like you're doing a great job. Wish I could be there.

If the handkerchief had been washed, and if what was said in testimony that it was soaked in blood it wouldn't seem like it could all be washed out. So puzzling.

Thanks for the link to FB. I finally broke down and joined. I did fill out the form showing interest in Parallel Lives but haven't received any news in an e-mail yet.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm so jealous. Wish I could have seen Stefani's presentation.
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

That is exciting -- and I'll be there in just a few weeks.

Can I take digital pictures?
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California. --Edward Abbey

http://unnaturalhistory.blogspot.com
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

No photography or cell phones allowed. A bunch of this exhibit will be in the book. Plus, I am not sure they have permission for some of it to be photographed.

It must be complicated to be an Historical Society!
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

When I visited the FRHS in 2004, I had my camera in my pocket.

I noticed how dark the rooms were kept with the lights turned down and the blinds kept pulled most of the way down. As we went into each room with exhibits the lights were turned up and more light was let in through the windows. As we left the rooms the lighting was put back the way it was when we entered them.

I started thinking about museums that don't allow pictures to be taken because over a period of time the picture flashes would fade the exhibit. So I asked first, while my hand was in my pocket on my camera. I was told that they didn't allow pictures. So I let go of my camera and I didn't take any pictures.

It might be a good idea for the FRHS to ( if they don't already do so ) take pictures of the exibits themselves and sell copies of them in the gift shop. That way the exhibits don't fade from massive amounts of pictures flashes, the visitors get what they want, and the FRHS makes some sales.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

When I visited the FRHS museum in the '80s, Mrs. Brigham said that photographs were not allowed. But it almost seemed as if they expected you to (at that time, anyway)! Immediately after telling us she left us alone. Consequently, there is a a photo of me somewhere sitting on Lizzie's stool, holding her jail dinner pail.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Wordweaver, let me know when you are coming to the Historical Society and I can give you the grand tour. Same for anyone here. If I am available, I would love to show you the artifacts.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Stef, You did do a great job with our tour on Aug. 5th. Ted & I hope to go back in Sept., we both want to see it again. We want to look at each little detail we proably missed. The first time it's like so much to see, and I'm sure we missed something. I could stare at those photos for hours.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

More about the exhibit and Stefani's photo talking to a tour group in the 8/19 edition of the Standard-Times. The exhibit is getting a lot of positive attention.
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

Stefani @ Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:42 am wrote:Wordweaver, let me know when you are coming to the Historical Society and I can give you the grand tour. Same for anyone here. If I am available, I would love to show you the artifacts.
Friday, August 27. Can't wait to meet you!
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California. --Edward Abbey

http://unnaturalhistory.blogspot.com
mbhenty

Re: Fall River Historical Society BIG NEWS

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Please take note:

The Fall River Historical Society will be closed for tours from now until after Christmas this year, while they install a new heating and air conditioning system. That includes no visits for research. Everything is sealed in plastic and covered with tarps. This includes all the furnishings, books, and paintings put away etc.

Until after Christmas is a long time? You bet. Although, it is not your average building, and I for one will be interested in how they will install Air ducks without some destruction.

The gift shop will remain open.