Why did Lizzie speak slowly to her father?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Franz

Why did Lizzie speak slowly to her father?

Post by Franz »

According to Bridget’s testimony, when Lizzie told her father the note story, she spoke very slowly. Whoever convinced for Lizzie’s guilt might find a criminal intention under this behaviour. This could be true (Lizzie had 50% of possibility to be guilty), but this could be only a speculation as well.

(I must say that, being more convinced for Lizzie’s innocence, I haven’t find an explanation for the mysterious note story. I permit myself to not discuss this issue here.)

Andrew didn’t feel well that morning, and for this reason he returned to home earlier than usually. I wonder, to a very old man who was sick, a person, a well educated one, if he / she didn’t speak as usually, would he / she speak more quickly or more slowly than usually? Please keep in mind that the note story could not be explained well in just two or three words.

In my opinion, Lizzie’s speaking slowly to her father could be considered a coherent behaviour with her question: “Father, do you want the window left the way it is?” They all could demonstrate Lizzie’s care and kindness to Andrew.
Last edited by Franz on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Smudgeman

Re: Why did Lizzie speak slowly to her father?

Post by Smudgeman »

She could have been talking slowly because she knew she had an audience (Bridget), so she wanted to sound as cordial as possible until bridget was out of earshot. Lizzie talking slowly in of itself does not prove innocense or guilt, it is simply testimony, and I don't think for a minute Lizzie spent a lot of time doting over her Father. There was never a note Franz, it is an obvious Lizzie lie. If you can find any evidence of a note, please share.
"I'd luv to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair"
Bette Davis
isn'tthat special1

Post by isn'tthat special1 »

Well, for me, regardless of how she spoke, it was a lie about the note. No note was ever found. Bridget knew nothing about someone coming to the home that morning, didn't see anyone. Lizzie tells her father Abby had gone out to see to sick friend, when it has been said she came from upstairs. She would have passed room with Abby's dead body at minimum, or is murderer. Either way, she knew Abby was dead, why lie?? Her father came home early...earlier than usual as he was not feeling well. His arrival altered her course of action. Of course, don't know what that would have been. She may have gone out possibly to the fabric sale she had told Bridget about earlier. Andrew's arrival put her in a corner...my opinion, she knew Abby was dead. She would likely deduce that her father would know she did it, once Abby was discovered. He would have known she was in the house when Abby killed, they didn't get along anyways....so Lizzie quickly acted and had to get rid of Andrew too. I agree with information read from the trial, perhaps by a juror....Andrew was not planned. His early arrival altered his fate.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

What do you base the comment "they didn't get along anyway'? I read it that you are saying AJB and Lizzie didn't get along.

No one walking from Lizzie's bedroom, down the stairs and into the sitting room would have seen a body lying on the opposite side of the guest room bed. There was a chance that someone might see under the bed coming up the stairs. But not the other way around.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I don’t see an arrival back home of Andrew, as you describe as “early,” would make any difference at all to his murder. There was plenty of time between the two killings to make even the idea of “early” a moot point.
If one person was responsible, they pretty much had to Wait for his return for 90 minutes!
Please may I ask what resources you are reading or watching or relying upon. It would help so much to know what in your history with Lizzie Borden has influenced you.