Intro and New Book

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

debbiediablo

Re: Intro and New Book

Post by debbiediablo »

When I throw out everything I KNOW and simply visualize the crime, I see something similar to what Ruby described which is a confrontation in the guestroom between Abby and a male not of the household who infuriates Abby with his presence...perhaps having come in with Lizzie the night before. Abby threatens to tell Andrew, tempers flare and the man goes downstairs to get the first weapon he can find. Once things settle down the realization sets in that Andrew must also die. Lizzie's lies are meant to protect the real murderer but in turn make her look guilty. Bridget, Emma and Uncle John, quite probably Dr. Bowen, all know whodunnit, but keep silent both because of the perpetrator's standing in the community and because Lizzie feels she stands a better chance of acquittal. This is how I see it, intuitively, before all the unanswered questions start getting in the way.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

patsy wrote:… Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Anthony summer home, mbhenty, and for the links, Twinsrwe. Nice thread you started, Quill. …
You're welcome for the links, Patsy.
patsy wrote:… I remember when Gramma told the Ruby story on this forum and really wanted to believe it. My thought was that if Lizzie or Bridget did not do the murders then who would be a good candidate for being able to access the house. David Anthony would fit the bill if he were in a relationship with Lizzie, but that's something that was lost with any of Ruby's supposed papers and her credibility. …
I agree. There is no evidence that Lizzie and David were in a relationship BEFORE the murders, nor AFTER she was acquitted. The disappearance of Ruby Cameron’s memoirs, reminds me of the disappearance of Henry Hawthorne's memoirs.
patsy wrote:... Had a long post but lost it when I went to read the newspapers and it wouldn't let me come back. Darn!
I know what you mean. After losing several posts, I now copy the information I have prepared onto my clipboard before going into a link, or I copy the prepared information and paste it into a new message page of my e-mail program.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
patsy

Post by patsy »

Yeah Henry's story was embellished a bit wasn't it.

Thanks for the tip about copying before I leave my spot on a thread, Twinsrwe. I will be doing that for sure.

Neat theory, DebbieDiablo, until as you mentioned all the unanswered questions arise.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

patsy wrote:Yeah Henry's story was embellished a bit wasn't it. ...
It sure was!
patsy wrote:... Thanks for the tip about copying before I leave my spot on a thread, Twinsrwe. I will be doing that for sure. ...
You're welcome. My preferred method is to copy the prepared information and then paste it into a new message page of my e-mail program. I can then copy anything from a given link to add to my pre-submitted information without fear of losing anything. I haven't lost a per-submitted post yet by doing this.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Quill

Post by Quill »

Thank you Patsy!!!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's still another new book, released this past December.

The title is very misleading. Very misleading. There is almost nothing in this book about the real Lizzie, her life, the murders, people around her, the trial, etc., etc. On Amazon it spouts that: Lizzie Borden 63 Success Facts - Everything you need to know about Lizzie Borden [Kindle Edition] Written by a Kathleen Little. Could be an interesting read if the subtitle was not so fallacious and deceiving.

Question: If one is studying the Borden Case and trying to discover as many facts about it as he/she can, what does Homer Simpson, list of programs broadcast by Lifetime, the cultural depictions of Anne Frank or National Lampoon's class reunion have to do with Lizzie Borden.

Here is Amazon's book description below. (Also, only available through kindle)

I have an idea for a book. How about: "Everything you always wanted to know about Lizzie Borden and how to turbo charge your 1988 Ford Mustang.

What can I say. The name Lizzie Borden sells books.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Book Description
Publication Date: December 22, 2014
Up-to-the-minute Lizzie Borden. This book is your ultimate resource for Lizzie Borden. Here you will find the most up-to-date 63 Success Facts, Information, and much more.
In easy to read chapters, with extensive references and links to get you to know all there is to know about Lizzie Borden's Early life, Career and Personal life right away.

A quick look inside: List of reportedly haunted locations in the United States - Massachusetts, 1965 in music - Opera, Made-for-TV - Examples, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress – Miniseries or a Movie - 1970s, Bengaline silk, Television movies - Examples, 1927 - Januaryndash;June, Christina Ricci - Adult roles, Agnes de Mille - Career, Chloe Sevigny - 2011–present: Post-Big Love, New York City Opera - World premieres, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie - 1970s, Pete Lattimer - Relationships, Monkeybone - Cast, Telemovie - Examples, Scariest Places on Earth - Season 3, Lizzie Borden - Folk rhyme, Katherine Helmond - Television, List of programs broadcast by Lifetime - Upcoming programming, Lizzie Borden (director), Fritz Weaver, Cold case (criminology) - Notable unsolved criminal cold cases, Cultural depictions of Anne Frank, Fionnula Flanagan - Career, Patricide - Known or suspected historical patricides, Television movie - Examples, Television films - Examples, Treehouse of Horror IV - The Devil and Homer Simpson, Lizzie Borden - Background, TV movie - Examples, Anton Coppola - Works, Lizzie Borden (director) - Early life, Fritz Weaver - Life and career, Made-for-television - Examples, National Lampoon's Class Reunion - Synopsis, 1965 - February, TV movies - Examples, and much more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Goodness, thanks Mb. As I really don't want to know about the Simpsons, (though my children watched them when they were young) or National Lampoon etc., I'll be leaving that one alone! I expect some people will buy it though, as a fun book if you're not particularly into Lizzie but just want a few details.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

By all means Curryong:

In may in fact be a "fun book" as you say.

My objection is not to the books content or the authors approach. The problem here is allowing the book to be advertised as "Everything you need to know about Lizzie Borden" This is not true and not what most people who want to discover who Lizzie Borden was want to read. It makes it sound like it's all about the "woman" Lizzie. I believe this sub title is just a ploy to sell books.

Now understand, I have not read this book. But all one need do is look at the table of contents and go to Amazon and sample the content. It just is not what it claims to be. Thus, what may in fact have been an engaging read is just a snare for those who don't realize what the book is about.

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

For all you fiction readers...

Here's a new fictional account of Lizzie Borden.

Amazon has a release date of January 2016. Long way off.

Attractive cover.

Accomplished writer, in that, she has written several books, all based on historical fiction, especially royalty.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Ok!

You say you can't wait for Brandy Purdy's book, the one in the post above, to be published.

Do not fear, my dear.

Cherrie Priest, who just released the novel "MAPLECROFT" this past September (2014) is at it again.

Not sure if it is a new story or a follow up to her last book, but it is called CHAPELWOOD, THE BORDEN DISPATCHES.

It's due out this September.

This is the byline for the book:

From Cherie Priest, the award-winning author of Maplecroft, comes a new tale of Lizzie Borden’s continuing war against the cosmic horrors threatening humanity…

War against the cosmic horros threatening humanity? OOOOOOH-K. I'll buy that.

Look.....in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, NO its SUPER LIZZIE and she has an AX, Run away, run away.....
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Ok, I tried...

But you say you don't like fiction.

Well here's still another title, also due by Jan. 1916... or is it 2016?

Everyone is piling onto the Lizzie Borden Band Wagon and writing their account.

This one is suppose to be non-fiction, but reads like a thriller...Hmmm?

It's target audience are Middle-grade readers. For those of you who have kids, perhaps you can let us know what age bracket that is.

This account is written by Sarah Miller. Cookie cutter name. Not to be mistaken with the other Sarah Miller, which I'm certain there's another.

It's called:

The Borden Murders: Lizzie Borden and the Trial of the Century

Can't wait for the reviews once it's out.

So as you can see, the writing world is very busy telling us what Lizzie Borden is all about. Of course, the only thing you will learn that's new is... well, let's wait until these publications are on the shelf to find out.

debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

This steps back to speak about 5-star Amazon reviews about anything. When the number of reviewers is low and the reviews are almost entirely 5 stars, I always click on the reviewers' names to see exactly how many other reviews they've written. In the case of this book, all but one or two had no other reviews which means either they're just getting started or they're friends and family of the author who are trying to give him a leg up. The same can be said for almost any other product; when the reviewer has only one 5-star review there's a strong chance the reviewer has an agenda unrelated to the quality of the merchandise. This isn't to say the product is good or bad, only that the reviews cannot be relied upon.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Right you are Deb.

Couldn't have said it better.

One must be very incisive when considering reviewers on Amazon and actually do a review on the reviewer.

I find Amazon reviews very helpful in some way, but but they can be damaging, especially when literature or non-fiction (books) are considered.

Thus, the more reviews the better. (unless the writer has a large army of friends and relatives)

If someone is selling a chainsaw and there are problems with it, that's one thing. But when someone leaves a "negative 2 or 1 star review because they don't like the color of the saw...well that's just wrong. So if an item has a total of 3 stars, it is vital to read the reviews and thus read between the lines as to why.

My Lizzie Borden Book on amazon has receive some horrible reviews. One because someone was offended by the SEX in the story, and another because she/he doesn't like fiction. Dah! Read the cover. It says "novel." You don't purchase a blueberry muffin then leave a review that you don't like muffins. Reviews like these are just wrong and drag down a writer's total Amazon score. For what ever it's worth.

When you are reviewing a book on Amazon, what you are really doing is being a judge. You must be fair and impartial. There are many angry people on Amazon, or those with chips on their shoulders, or those who realized what they just read is not their cup of tea. If a book's subject matter is not agreeable does not mean that it is not well written.

As a reviewer and editor of poetry for the Literary Hatchet I have accepted many poems in which I have no idea what the writer is writing about or for which I have very contrary views. This does not mean I reject them right off. I have approved lots of pieces which I found very contrary to my way of thinking. The fair approach is to measure the writing by it's literary merits. A good poem may not always be recognized, but to reject it just because you are confused, don't agree, don't like the subject matter is just wrong. This is a common practice on Amazon. Accountability is being adjudicated by readers who are just not qualified or others who have an agenda.

debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

mbhenty wrote:
My Lizzie Borden Book on amazon has receive some horrible reviews. One because someone was offended by the SEX in the story, and another because she/he doesn't like fiction. Dah! Read the cover. It says "novel." You don't purchase a blueberry muffin then leave a review that you don't like muffins. Reviews like these are just wrong and drag down a writer's total Amazon score. For what ever it's worth.
LOL, MB. I was a librarian before making an early mid-life career change. Once in awhile I'd review a book for publication, so reviews at bookseller sites are always of interest to me. My tastes in leisure reading include true crime, especially serial killers, and I'm always dismayed when an amateur reviewer writes, "too much blood/gore" or to complain about sex plus violence. Bloodless, sexless serial killers do exist, but they're the exception not the rule. I'm sometimes left wondering if these people read three books a year, or what?
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

patsy

Post by patsy »

I do read the reviews but take them with a grain of salt. I've found that quite a few times I have liked the books that have had a lot of negative reviews. What stands out for me is when a reviewer admits to a bias when making some of their statements so we can know that it's still worthwhile to stay open to what the book offers.

Seems we have similar leisure-reading tastes, Debbie.