Maplecroft

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Bronte

Maplecroft

Post by Bronte »

I need the actual street address for Maplecroft was all over the place and still could not locate it..I must admit that I wasn't expecting the house on 92nd street to be so overtaken with the city.My first thoughts when I saw it was wow! I wonder how Mr.Borden would respond to all of this?such a shame if you wasn't aware that it was the Borden house you would drive on by without giving it a second glance.I am a very determined person that's why I did not ask for directions and spent so much time going in circles even ending up down at the water lol anyhoo thanks for such an amazing and informative forum about Lizzie and the Borden's.I betcha next time I will locate Maplcroft..lol
Austin023

Re: Maplecroft

Post by Austin023 »

Maplecroft is 306 French street, Fall River, MA.
Here is a link to it here, on Redfin (the house sold recently for just under $500,000):

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Fall-River/30 ... e/16021098

Lizzie and Emma were supposed to had paid about $13,000 for the house Maplecroft in late 1893. The house was built in 1888 or 1889 and they were already its third owners.
As for 92 Second street--yes, a lot of changes to the area, namely the massive court house right across the street from it!
The other houses next to and across from it that stood in Andrew's time are long, long gone. The house Dr. Bowen lived in still stands, though is altered...Mrs. Churchill's house was demolished sometime back in the 1960s I think, well as what had been across the street, to make way for a bus stop (where the court house is now). I find it ironic the new court house was built right across from 92 Second :)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Austin. You must have mis-spoke, or should I say, mis-typed. You are mixing up the Bowen house with the Kelly house. The Bowen house was also taken down in the early 60s, part of a revitalization program which was a complete failure. The Kelly Cape Cod home still stands but has been grossly violated by addition after addition, store fronts, etc.

As for Mapecroft I believe that Lizzie and Emma had trouble finding a place. Charles Allen, the original builder of Maplecroft, saw them coming. He had to be a piece of work. He had built Maplecroft 4 years previous and paid 7000 to build it. When he sold it it could not have been worth much more than that. Eight or Nine grand at the most. He sold it to the Borden girls for 12,000plus$$$. Almost a 50% profit. Then he turned around and built a beautiful granite home up on Highland Ave for 10,000.

I believe that Lizzie and her sister were having trouble finding a home and Allen took advantage of two woman. Never met the man, but history tells me that he couldn't have been a nice guy.
Austin023

Post by Austin023 »

woops! Yes, thanks for correcting me. I did mean the Kelly house, which as you say, has been altered substantially from how it looked in 1892.
Its almost a miracle in itself that 92 Second has survived to the present day.
There were plans to demolish the house not long after the trial--and then again it was threatened with demolition in the early sixties during "urban renewal" and the construction of I-190 which cut its way through downtown Fall River; a lot of notable buildings, like old City Hall, were razed to make way for the expressway in the early sixties and much of that area of downtown is virtually unrecognizable now.

I did not know that about Maplecroft--the builder and the problems Lizzie and Emma had finding a new home in the area.
When I did see, in a copy of a newspaper article from 1893, that the sisters paid around $13,000, that seemed to be awfully high for such a house, judging by what ones comparable to it would had sold for in the area then. So, what you say about them being taken advantage of makes sense.
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Somehow I cannot see Lizzie and Emma as having advantage taken of them. They could've engaged someone to purchase the house for them by proxy or purchased land and built to their own specs. Although I know absolutely nothing about their purchase of Maplecroft other than what's been said here, I'm inclined to see them wanting a house and wanting it now. Maplecroft was one of the few or perhaps the only option so they bought it without haggling, maybe because haggling from the Borden sisters would've been a violation of Victorian sensibilities given how their fortune came about. Sort of the same reason they handed over half a house to Abby's sister (if my recall on this is correct). Or maybe they simply didn't care. Allen could've started high to maintain some room for negotiation except there was none. Money that is won, gifted or inherited is often more easily spent than money which is hard earned.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Deb:

What you say may very well be true.

Alle had had his house up for sale for a while, before the Borden girls had looked at it, and had been having trouble selling it because it. It was reported that he was asking to much for it.

It's all how you look at it. If you are selling a house for 350,000 that is worth 200,000, there may be a buyer for it. If so some would say that makes for a shrewd business man. To me, that just makes you a crook.

Similar to the guy at the corner store who is selling milk for 15 dollars a gallon (which is against the law, now) because there was a hurricane and there is a milk shortage.

Thus, Allen may have not seen the Borden's coming, but he was waiting for some one. And by george, along they came.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Oh yes:

Forgot to mention.

At the time the Borden girls were becoming desperate (my word, not fact) about moving out of Second Street. Like today, people were actually taking train rides to Fall River to see the murder house and were reported as going into the yard and barn, etc. The Girls even had to place out a sign that claimed the property as private and that no one should trespass.

So, it must have felt urgent for them to move out. Still, once they did they didn't sell the Second Street house for quite a while.

The Girls looked at quite a few homes in the Highland District. Many people in the area had concerns about living next door to "LIZZIE BORDEN" and what it may bring in the way of traffic, etc. Others were concerned that the Bordens would pay to much for a home and drive up the assessments and the tax base.

Much of this information can be found in old newspapers. Some of it in my head.

You know, as you get older the brain gets full, like a closet. After a while you open the door and things fall out and others you just can't find under all the minutiae.

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

One of the homes That the Borden Girls looked at was the Peabody home on Underwood. In a straight line the property stands today about 500 feet from Maplecroft.

Huge house. A much better place and luxurious when compared to Maplecroft.

Today it is known as 80 Underwood Street.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Another interesting home the Borden Girls considered buying stands on High Street, just 4 properties down from Maplecroft.

The Charles Shove House.

Charley was Ellen Shove's father, Lizzie's friend in the novel, The Girl with the Pansy Pin, and in real life. Ellen was on the European tour with Lizzie and her cousins.

This monster house was built on Rock Street and moved to it's present location where it stands today. BBBBBIG house.

It use to stand on Rock Street where Lizzie's church was built. Shove sold it so the church could be built, and was keen enough to have it moved.

Hooray Charley Shove.

The place is almost twice the size of Maplecroft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mbhenty on Wed May 06, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

There were a couple of other houses the Borden Girls looked at and considered buying.

One of them was the Chase House on Rock Street. It was demolished many, many years ago. And there is a story behind that.

It belong to the widow Chase, I believe. It was sold Charles Allen, believe it or not. It's where he lived for a while before building his new place on Highland Ave. I can only imagine what he sold the Rock Street house for.

Why do you ask?

Because he sold it to E.P. Charlton, the chain store magnet.

Charlton tore the house down.

He then in turn builds another for a whooping 35,000 dollars.

Nice to be rich and happy.

But money does not always bring happiness. (Though it would for me)

Below is another place the Borden Girls looked at. It was known as the Butterworth House, and Mrs. Butterworth, an unfortunate widow had placed it up for sale and for a time there everyone thought for sure that Lizzie would purchase.

Poor Mrs. Butterworth. Her husband hung himself in the yard.

Some thought it strange at the time that the Borden Girls would look at a house where the owner hung himself, yet still they did.

Creepy people, those Victorians, they were.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

And to bring my little proclamation about Allen and the sort of man I think he was, shrewd without fault, is the fact that Charles Allen and Lizzie were related. I think they were cousins 5 or 6 times removed.

HEY CHARLEY! HOW ABOUT CUTTING YOUR COUSINS A BREAK, DUDE!
Austin023

Post by Austin023 »

The Borden sisters did not actually sell the property at 92 Second st. until 1916. They had it rented in the years in between, though I am not sure if they returned it to a two-family house.
City records indicate that the house at 92 Second was built in 1845 and was originally a two-family house; Andrew Borden bought the house in early 1872 and had it converted into a single family residence. City records also show that Mr. Borden had new water pipes installed (in 1874, some six months after the city's waterworks was opened). He likely had the central heating system installed as well. (This information comes from the book Parallel Lives, page 146-7).
The barn on the property was demolished in 1929 and at that time a search was in fact conducted as it was being dismantled for search of any clues (like an ax---of which one was found within a wall), but it proved to be of a type not consistent with the one that could had been used in the murder.
There is no mention of the old privy being searched in the barn, at that time, however.
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

LOL MB... :smile: ...I'm still not so sure about the similarity between a shortage of mansions following an inheritance of about $12,000,000 (adjusted to 2015 purchasing power) and a shortage of milk following a hurricane where vast numbers of people have lost everything but the clothes on their back.

For same money I would've bought the Shove house ...the symmetry is flippin' fantastic... :smiliecolors:
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I used to wonder why Lizzie didn't buy a bigger house than Maplecroft if she knew she was going to be ostracized from society. It would have given her more room for her and her friends
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
pld0128

Post by pld0128 »

Anyone know how much the Underwood house was going for at the time?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

No idea what the Underwood house was selling for in Lizzie's time, but...

Back in the 1970 I was wiring some of these big homes as they were being chopped up into apartments.

Think about it. A huge single family home. Some realtor or contractor buys it then adds 5 new kitchens and 5 new bathrooms as he converts the building into 6 apartments. Think about the destruction.

In 1970 these big homes were plentiful. They were having trouble giving them away.

A house similar to the one on Underwood Street could be had for between 25 and 40 thousand.

Think about it. Maplecroft, a famous historical home, sold in 1980 for 60 grand, and Ultimate Greed got him a 444 thousand dollar profit.

Don't get me wrong. Such a historical house has much worth.

But the condition that he left it in and sold it was sad. Even going to the extent of leaving 3 trailer truck size dumpsters of trash behind, then coming back to rummage through the dumpster for articles he left behind. Sad human being.

pld0128

Post by pld0128 »

Was wondering why they picked Maplecroft over Underwood. I like the looks of Underwood better.
Angel

Post by Angel »

This was very interesting. I also wondered why Lizzie picked the house she did. I would have thought she' d have picked something that looked grander.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

As many of you well know I have been very verbal about the satellite dish on the roof of Maplecorft's front porch.

The question I often asked was "what sort of dolt places such a vulgar and unsightly apparatus on the face of an historical house.

At times my complaint may have been very abrasive and somewhat harassing to some. Sorry about that. Couldn't help myself.

As a matter of fact, I still can't help myself.

It was not my intention to stress anyone, but a way of letting off steam for an unruly neighbor's shameless disregard for the past an all things precious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well today was a good day.

Today MAPLECROFT received retribution for a blatant transgression. And I got to administer a sort of archival and historical revenge.

With that I climbed on the roof of Lizzie's porch and ripped the dang dish off the roof.

No more dish.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Alright, MB, good for you!!! That dish really was a distraction, which displayed disrespect to Lizzie as well as to anyone seeking a look at the historical Maplecroft.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

If this picture was on facebook it would get a like
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

YAY for the removal of the dreaded dish!!!! You look so happy in this photo, MBHENTY! Was it heavy? Or are you some strong man that can lift anything? What was going through your mind as you took that thing down? Inquiring minds want to know........
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Hallelujah?
cloud.jpg
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Stefani:

It was fun. Sweet fun...

The new owner had called the dish company to come and remove the dish. She wanted it gone. Besides, the 19th century Queen Victoria dish was unavailable. So the old dish had to come down. The problem—she was stuck with it. The dish company would not come out to remove it. She would need to hire someone.

So I volunteered. The satisfaction of taking it down was payment enough for me.

As a matter of fact, I would have paid her to let me take it down, I felt that strongly that a modern unsightly hideous dish did not belong there.

Dishes are so ugly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The nut case in the photo below lives only 6 or 7 blocks from Maplecroft. Who does such a thing to their building?

(thanks Deb. I need all the angels I can get to ward off my demons)
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

UGLY! I walked by that house yesterday and thought it a horror. Ah, Fall River! Land of the people with no common sense or eye for beauty!
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes.....

Now let us examine this Ugly Dish House.

It is no accident that the owner doesn't care.

Why would he care if it's ugly. Rent money is coming in, is it not?

He doesn't care because he doesn't care for the city.

He's an absentee landlord, that is to say, he doesn't live there. He doesn't even live in the city. He lives in the country.

Below is the house where the owner of the dish house lives.

SEE ANY DISHES ON IT!?
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

mbhenty wrote: (thanks Deb. I need all the angels I can get to ward off my demons)
In that cloud I can see a guy raising a satellite dish in victory.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Oh the glory of being wrong.

I was discussing one of the homes which Lizzie Borden considered buying when I noticed an error.

No big deal, but we must set the record straight. If you place them side by side, which they really are, you will discover that they look very much alike.

The house I describe above as the Butterworth House is in fact the Maria Hicks Home. The Butterworth home is the one next to it. Thus, I have displayed the wrong building.

Below is the Butterworth House.

Of course all these big houses begin to look alike / with one large theme...enormity. The Butterworth home and the Hicks home sit side by side.
House.png
This is the real Butterworth house.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Oh dear I don't think I've ever seen a house with multi dishes like the one above. Ugh!

How great you got the honor of getting rid of that dish. I'd have paid them too to let me remove it for sure.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here is a couple of current photos taken of Maplecroft and its garden. It never looked better. At the rear of the house is a new flower bed which has been cut out of the lawn. Also while we speak, masons have been doing some major repairs to Lizzie's granite wall which surrounds the rear of the property. You can see the before/and/after photos below. The work continues. Though nothing has been done to the rear porch, yet, plans are on the docket. The new owner is executing due diligence to an important historical property.

Click on photo to make big and enjoy the beautiful hibiscus flowers.

KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Thank you for sharing these photos MB. It's good to see the house is getting the attention it deserves.
Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. - Arthur Conan Doyle
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thank you for posting the photos of Maplecroft, MB. Love the landscaping; it absolutely beautiful!
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Late May or early June. The blooming of the Rhododendron at Maplecorft.

In the front yard is an enormous old rhododendron bush which offers the backyard some measure of privacy.

From my window it is a signpost of time passing. Every May/June I look out the window and watch it bloom. To me it announces that another year is almost half over and that I am that much older. Have watched it bloom for almost 25 years. The plant is a new arrival, having nothing to do with Lizzie. Not certain what Lizzie had on that spot if anything. I remember in the 70s there was a circle of shrubs there surrounding a pine bush or tree. The bush is not attractive when green. But when flowering it is just vision of color.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

And:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Oh my goodness, MB; what a gorgeous bush! :shock: The pink and white blooms of the Rhododendron bush against the dark green and beige colors of Maplecorft is very eye-appealing. What a treat this is for those of us who live so far away from Fall River. Thank you for posting these pics. :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

You're welcome, Twins.

I have a cheap camera. Very unhappy with it. A Cannon 35mm EOS. The lenses are junk. So the photos don't come out sharp. My old Minolta did much better. Of course they have professional lenses that you can purchase for the Cannon. But they are 3 times the cost of the average lens. I'm just not into photography like I use to be. At one time most of Cannon's camera business was geared to the professional market. Today, they are trying to sell to Tom, Dick, and Jane... profit, profit, profit. Bottom line. Quality control is just not there any longer. But, what else is.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I know what you mean by the quality control not being there any longer; that is so true of many things. It's pretty sad, really. The pictures here may not be as sharp as you would like, but for me, and I am sure there are others as well, they are absolutely awesome! :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I may have posted some of these before. But for those who have not seen them, here are some architectural highlights from Maplecorft.
IMG_8714.jpg
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

More
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

More
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

WOW, MB!!! Thank you for posting these pictures! :grin: I have not seem them before, so, for me, they are a treat to see! ( I wish we had a happy dance smiley, because I would, for sure, put it here! :lol: )

It is my understanding that the color combination of emerald green and buff were the original colors of Maplecroft when Lizzie and Emma bought the mansion ( http://tinyurl.com/yanfukch ). These colors are just so pleasing to the eye, that it is no wonder, to me, why Lizzie and Emma were drawn to this house.

I am amazed with the color combination details that were used in the painting of Maplecroft. The second picture you posted in this series, clearly shows the detail that was used with those colors; it is absolutely beautiful. I wonder if the original paint that was on the mansion at the time Lizzie and Emma bought the place, was as detailed as it is now.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins:

There are very few clues as to the color of the house as Lizzie had it and the descriptions we have are from Newspaper reporters. Not being experts on color or paint we can not be certain that they described it as it really was. The basic description given is 'buff'. Color is in the eye of the beholder. And paint companies all have their own ideas when it comes to naming colors.... even in Victorian times, or especially in Victorian times. Today the color description 'buff' has more to do with color intensity than with actual hue or tint.

Now I have the upper most respect for those who chose the color for Maplecorft. But I did have a friendly squabble with them about the true description of 'buff ' and the cream color that was chosen for Maplecroft. So we went round n' round about what 'buff ' is... or was.

This being said, let me make quite clear that intensive research went into trying to discover the true colors Maplecroft was in Lizzie's day. And I have no dispute to the green used. But I don't believe the cream color above is what Lizzie had. Though let me add, the house looks beautiful the way it stands. But it leaves me to ask: 'was that the real buff color used ' ? I don't think so.

Scrapings were done to try and discover what the original paint was. In doing this the researcher had to sand through several layers to get down to the original "first" color. That is how it was done.

But what they fail to realize is that the cedar shake shingles are probably not original to the house. Maplecorft was most likely re-shingled at one time. I believe it is very unlikely that the shingles on the house have survived 120 years in the condition that they are in. Very little drying, very little shrinking, very little curling, very little separation.... they are in very good condition if they are indeed original. I doubt they are. If so, then the scrapings done to uncover the base color was flawed endeavor. Add to this the original description of the color ' buff ' and we are left with more uncertainty.

But let me make myself clear.

The lower part of the house, the clapboard shingles, are the originals. Clapboard lasts a lot longer than the shake type cedars.

I believe the cream color on Maplecorft today is just that.... cream. Buff was much darker and leaning towards a tan or brown. Most Victorian palettes or color charts show it as such.

Below are a series of 'buff ' colors taken from a Historical paint chart.

Also there is a photo below of what I think Maplecorft looked like when Lizzie Painted it. But the green was used below and tints could have been darker.

(Click images to make BIG)

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I have to agree with you, MB. I put a great deal of value in your comments, because over the years that you and I have been members on this forum, you have displayed, many times, your enthusiasm for preserving and/or restoring the original historic buildings in Fall River, and especially the buildings that are connected to the Borden murders. In addition to that, your knowledge of architectural matters has always made me think of you as an expert. :grin:

Thank you for the inside information that you have posted here regarding the condition of Maplecroft, and the paint colors used to bring this house back to an eye appealing landmark.

The description you gave us on the condition of the cedar shake shingles that are currently on Maplecroft, made me realize that you know what you are talking about, and your beliefs are warranted.

I did some research on the color of ‘buff’, and I whole heartily agree with you; the light colored paint that is currently on Maplecroft is not biff.

I am sure you already know that The Victorian Era was the period of Queen Victoria's reign, from June of 1837, until her death in January of 1901. These dates are sometimes modified slightly, depending on the individual web sites. 1830 is usually considered the end of the Romantic period in Britain, and thus makes a convenient starting date for Victorianism, and since Queen Victoria’s death occurred so soon in the beginning of a new century, the end of the previous century provides a useful closing date for the period.) Sources: http://tinyurl.com/k3odzgc , http://tinyurl.com/y8xge9mq and http://tinyurl.com/llwvbex

Apparently, The Victorian Era had three time lines; The Early Victorian Era, The Mid Victorian Era and The Late Victorian Era. As with everything else we find on the internet, the dates of those three time lines are not consistent. Big Surprise! Therefore I am taking the time line of the mid and late Victorian Eras from this site: http://tinyurl.com/yd68u8ka

The Mid-Victorian Era ran from 1846-1886, so that means The Late-Victorian Era had to have run from 1886-1901. We know that Lizzie and Emma moved into the French Street mansion in September of 1893. which means that their move from 92 Second Street occurred during The Late-Victorian Era. Here are the color palettes for the Mid and Late Victorian Era time periods. Keep in mind that the following color palettes are obtained from the internet, and therefore may appear to be quite different in reality.
victorian-colors-schemes-11-728.jpg
victorian-colors-schemes-15-728.jpg
The two color palettes above are shown as number 11 and 15 of the slideshow presented in here: http://tinyurl.com/y7xm7p2x

Notice that both palettes have a ‘light buff’ color in them, and how much darker the Late-Victorian Era buff color is than the Mid-Victorian Era buff color is. I would think that since the newspapers only stated that Maplecroft was painted an emerald green and buff, the buff color used was probably even darker.

This is what I picture in my mind that emerald green and buff look like:
d7ffc28b9857deec5c5de290e8d9f53b.jpg
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins

We may be Plain Buttons but we have fancy lace work called inquisitiveness, that is, brain power. I don't have much, but enough to give the issue a common sense approach. And the computer helps a little. Good research. :smile: :roll: :oops:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thanks for the research compliment, MB! :grin: I appreciate it!

Personally, I enjoy being a Plain Button. :grin: Yes, we do have inquisitive minds. I know for myself, I want to dig deeper into topics that interest me so that I can learn and broaden my mind. I may not have much of a mind, but I like what I have. :lol:

It is amazing what one can find and learn, when they spend some time researching a particular subject. Before I started researching the buff color, I really had no idea what the color looked like. When I found out that it was a rather dark color, I just couldn't visualize the buff color being very eye-appealing when it is used with emerald green, because the emerald green color I had stuck in my mind was the bright green color shown here:
emerald-green-gemstone-gem-stone-spinning-wedding-background-loop-4k_njn_c7zj__S0000.jpg
That emerald green color combined with the buff color just sent my mind reeling, because those two colors clashed big time!!! Here is the emerald green and buff colors together, and appears to be very much like what I was visualizing:
yellow-sapphire-gemstone-gem-stone-spinning-wedding-background-loop-4k_v1dpujfo__S0000.jpg
YIKES!!! :shaking: :shock: Once my mind got over the shock of seeing those two colors together, it dawned on me that the uncut emerald color is much more eye-appealing when used with the buff color. Like this:
pantoneoakbluff_thumb.jpg
il_340x270_1256682027_8ilm.jpg
d7ffc28b9857deec5c5de290e8d9f53b.jpg
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Contrast is right...

They both compliment and appose each other.

Like sprinkling bacon over ice-cream.

In the case of the two colors, at least as an element of paint and used for a building, such as a residence, works... in a Victorian sort of way. :smile:

It is interesting to note that the green used on Maplecorft is very similar to the green (s) used at 92 Second.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Bacon over ice cream? :shock: YUCK! :pale: :sad:
mbhenty wrote:... It is interesting to note that the green used on Maplecorft is very similar to the green (s) used at 92 Second.
I was thinking the same thing just a couple of days ago! Is there any documentation anywhere, as to what color 92 Second Street was when the Bordens lived there?
InterestedReader

Post by InterestedReader »

twinsrwe wrote:
mbhenty wrote:... It is interesting to note that the green used on Maplecorft is very similar to the green (s) used at 92 Second.
I was thinking the same thing just a couple of days ago! Is there any documentation anywhere, as to what color 92 Second Street was when the Bordens lived there?

I thought they'd just had it painted in May and Lizzie chose the colours. There was the daring 'drab' accented by an oxblood - indistinguishable from real blood if you dragged your skirts along it...

Here we have Farrow & Ball paint and it's sold in the States now, i've just read. You might like to see their colours. Farrow & Ball are reckoned to be the most exact reproductions of the colours used in the past. They also recreate the textures of historic paint, such as distemper, and all the finishes once used interior or exterior:

http://www.farrow-ball.com/colours/pain ... egory/list

They're wonderful. They make modern paint-colours seem crude.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

twinsrwe wrote: ... Is there any documentation anywhere, as to what color 92 Second Street was when the Bordens lived there?
:ooops: I meant to ask if we have an example of what the 'drab' color looked like, that 92 Second Street was painted in 1892? :oops: