Arnold Brown's book

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

InterestedReader

Re: Arnold Brown's book

Post by InterestedReader »

KG - I can't follow those Rebello passages very well either, but wasn't Lewis Peterson married to Ellen Eagan's grand-daughter, Dorothy?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K4VG-1ZC
Can you follow that back to see if it makes sense?

Well it has to be acknowledged that Liberty St and Middleboro Avenue are quite close in Taunton, according to Google Maps, but as always this whole story strikes me as cobblers. Ellen Eagan 'identified' William S. Borden when she went to his funeral??? What was it, open casket?

Bridget Hawthorne was Phoebe Borden's friend, Bridget Hawthorne knew the identity of Phoebe's lover and the father of her illegitimate child?
Phoebe Borden was dead and buried before Bridget Hawthorne was even born, a world away in Ireland.

I think my main interest in Ellen Eagan is - did she really know Bridget Sullivan..? And in 1892 did people really just push into other people's gardens if they wanted to throw up?
InterestedReader

Ellen Burns 1880

I'm having heck of a job finding Ellen's family according to the Rebello information - with a Jeremiah Hurley and 'Marey Carey' for parents. But this I think is Ellen in 1880:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MH63-Y1L

She's living with her husband Christopher Burns at her widowed mother's house in Fall River, has a newborn daughter Mary, and works in a laundry. It looks like Ellen was born in 1852, in actual fact, and she'd be about 40 the day of the murders. It's her sister Annie, then 14, I want to chase up. Rebello says that when Ellen dies she's survived by this sister Annie who's living in Butte Montana but the married name given - 'Mullrenen' - seems like a jumbled mis-transcription, and I haven't cracked it yet.
InterestedReader

According to a newspaper account of the Inquest testimony, Ellen Eagen wasn't so aware in 1892 of her friendship with Bridget Sullivan, not as aware as she later became, and in 1892 rather thought she wasn't on the Borden property the day of the murders:

"The last witness of the day, and the most inconsequential one of all, was the mysterious woman whom the little Polish peddler, Lubinsky, declared he saw coming out of Borden's yard on the morning of the tragedy, and at the time, not far from the hour of it.

Officer Harrington was detailed to work up the case, and he brushed aside the mystery and revealed the unknown in [is] a big, good natured Irish woman named Emen [ Ellen] Eagen who lives on Mulberry Street.

Mrs. Eagan was put on the stand and after the first three questions had been asked her, the authorities were satisified that her evidence had no bearing on the case.

She answered all the queries directed at her with a bluntness, however, which caused a smile to pass around among the officers, the first tinge of levity which has appeared on this terribly serious case so far.

In the first place, she was not sure whether or not it was the Borden's yard from which she emerged on the fatal morning, and a little questioning satisfied the district attorney that, instead of from the Borden's she had come out from the yard of Dr. Kelly, who lives in the house above the Borden homestead.

Her reason for her appearance there was a most natural one. She had been feeling unwell for a day or two preceding the murder, and on Wednesday last had experimented on herself with a few pills.

On Friday [Thursday] morning she had occassion to go down to make some purchases, and was taking the Second Street route when she began to feel the effects of the pill. She hurried into Dr. Kelly's yard and accosted a servant girl who was washing the windows, and who directed her to a place nearby.

When she came out of the yard the little peddler saw her but she passed down the street, performed her errand and then returned home, totally unconcious of the fact that she was to become quite and important personage in the eyes of the clew hunters. After Mrs. Eagan testified, the inquest was adjourned until 10 o'clock tomorrow morning..."
Boston Herald, August 11, 1892

Furthermore, this would have been a good time to mention the wild-eyed man she saw exiting, the one she later discovered to be William S. Borden. But she didn't mention him.

I'm a big Lubinsky fan and believe his testimony even though the general trend is to discredit it. What an opportunity was lost in not asking him right there in the courtroom if Lizzie Borden could be the woman he saw. There'd be no language problems with a visual identification. It was 1892 and he saw a bare-headed woman, walking slowly, from the barn area. That lack of a hat spoke volumes in 1892.
InterestedReader

Ellen's Sister in Anaconda

Just look where Ellen's sister Annie turns up. Anaconda!

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3QS-Z7C

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3W6-247

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F347-M3R

She has a son who marries like a hundred times, including a Sullivan.

I'm trying to find exactly where Annie lived, but the name has crazy spelling variations.
KG..? This is a job for your expertise.
InterestedReader

Ellen's sister in Montana

I think this is Ellen's Eagen's sister Annie, who by 1900 has moved to Montana with their mother Mary Hurley, and her two sons.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MM58-VP2

She had married a Eugene Reardon, her first son Eugene was born in New York in 1890 and her second, Patrick J., in Fall River, 1896:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZJ4-RJ3

By 1900 she was widowed. Annie then remarries a Michael Mulrenan - at least that's how the surname settles down - and becomes Annie Mulrenan.

According to successive census records, Ellen Eagen's sister would live in Butte Montana from some little time before 1900 until her death in 1949. Her Butte address, in my Google Maps, is surrounded by a sprinkling of yellow stars - these are the 'Bridget Sullivan' suspects we chased, and eliminated.

Ellen Eagen was a shameless fantasist, she confabulated on the topic of the murders and also Bridget Sullivan. All the while her own sister Annie had transplanted to Butte, to Anaconda, to the very places Bridget would be sent by a dubious oral tradition lacking any factual support. One wonders just how much of the Bridget Sullivan story originated with Ellen Eagen.
KGDevil

Re: Ellen's sister in Montana

Post by KGDevil »

InterestedReader wrote:I think this is Ellen's Eagen's sister Annie, who by 1900 has moved to Montana with their mother Mary Hurley, and her two sons.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MM58-VP2

She had married a Eugene Reardon, her first son Eugene was born in New York in 1890 and her second, Patrick J., in Fall River, 1896:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZJ4-RJ3

By 1900 she was widowed. Annie then remarries a Michael Mulrenan - at least that's how the surname settles down - and becomes Annie Mulrenan.

According to successive census records, Ellen Eagen's sister would live in Butte Montana from some little time before 1900 until her death in 1949. Her Butte address, in my Google Maps, is surrounded by a sprinkling of yellow stars - these are the 'Bridget Sullivan' suspects we chased, and eliminated.

Ellen Eagen was a shameless fantasist, she confabulated on the topic of the murders and also Bridget Sullivan. All the while her own sister Annie had transplanted to Butte, to Anaconda, to the very places Bridget would be sent by a dubious oral tradition lacking any factual support. One wonders just how much of the Bridget Sullivan story originated with Ellen Eagen.
According to the birth certificates for the children of Annie and Michael Mulrenan the family moved several times.

Michael James Mulrenan 1903- 406 S. Montana Street in Butte

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKNT-HJ4B

Thomas Mulrenan 1905- 718 East Broadway in Butte

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKNT-HJH9

Grace H. Mulrenan 1909- 207 Lincoln Street in Butte

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKNR-WPQC

I have to agree that Ellen liked to tell some pretty tall tales.
Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. - Arthur Conan Doyle
PattiG157

Post by PattiG157 »

At first I thought Arnold Brown's theory was a possibility, but I have two "they are worth what you paid to hear them" comments: first, I've read articles that have said that it was common knowledge in Fall River at the time that Billy was Andrew Borden's son, and articles that have said it was only a rumor, which essentially means this cannot be confirmed or denied definitely; and second, I have always believed that if Lizzie didn't commit the murders (and I don't believe she did), she had to know who murdered her parents and was maybe even covering for him - and why would she cover for an illegitimate half brother?

I would actually like to believe this theory, but there are too many holes and unanswered questions regarding it. Of course, it makes for interesting reading, doesn't it?!

Take care, all.

:smiliecolors:
Patti M. Garner
Henderson, KY
InterestedReader

A note about the Margaret Sullivan featured, 'friend' to Bridget Sullivan and Ellen Eagen. I thought it worthwhile to identify her in case it yielded anything on Bridget.

Margaret did not come from County Cork. She was born in Fall River - Margaret O'Neil, the daughter of Jeremiah and Margaret O'Neil. In 1890 at the age of 22 she married James H. Sullivan, the son of Dennis and Nancy Sullivan:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NWT1-B5M

She would indeed become a sales clerk in a shop but much later in life, after her husband's death:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2NG-BMV

She isn't in the workforce in the 1900 Census, and was busy having children from the commencement of her marriage in 1890.

At the time of the murders she was newly-married and in her early twenties. Ellen Eagen was forty. It looks very unlikely, this tale of three Irish 'girls from County Cork', all bosom mates... Margaret Sullivan is born in Fall River and as her photograph indicates, she's not of Ellen Eagen's generation but a successive one.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

InterestedReader wrote:A note about the Margaret Sullivan featured, 'friend' to Bridget Sullivan and Ellen Eagen. I thought it worthwhile to identify her in case it yielded anything on Bridget.

Margaret did not come from County Cork. She was born in Fall River - Margaret O'Neil, the daughter of Jeremiah and Margaret O'Neil. In 1890 at the age of 22 she married James H. Sullivan, the son of Dennis and Nancy Sullivan:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NWT1-B5M

She would indeed become a sales clerk in a shop but much later in life, after her husband's death:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2NG-BMV

She isn't in the workforce in the 1900 Census, and was busy having children from the commencement of her marriage in 1890.

At the time of the murders she was newly-married and in her early twenties. Ellen Eagen was forty. It looks very unlikely, this tale of three Irish 'girls from County Cork', all bosom mates... Margaret Sullivan is born in Fall River and as her photograph indicates, she's not of Ellen Eagen's generation but a successive one.
I had just begun to chase Margaret Sullivan down through the birth record of her son Leon F. Sullivan. But it appears you were already ahead of me on this Interested. So, that's another myth that has been more or less debunked.

Leon F. Sullivan
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FX62-L1G
Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. - Arthur Conan Doyle
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

I haven't had access to ancestry.com to go as in depth as I normally would with city directories and newspapers. But I plan to start looking into them as soon as possible. I also have leads on other mysterious people in the case I have been chasing that I hope to post about soon.

My question has always been who WERE the friends that Bridget was visiting with the night before the murders, and why were they never questioned? Or even named?
InterestedReader

William

I don't know much about American houses of the past, but those of you who do may still be able to see where William S. Borden lived : -

Caswell St, Taunton, MA 02718, USA

https://maps.google.com/?q=431-477%20Ca ... l=en&gl=uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
InterestedReader

KGDevil wrote: I had just begun to chase Margaret Sullivan down through the birth record of her son Leon F. Sullivan. But it appears you were already ahead of me on this Interested. So, that's another myth that has been more or less debunked.
KG did you make any confident finds on Margaret's parents, Jeremiah O'Neil and his wife Margaret, for the 1860 and 1870 Census? I find their later lives, but was doubtful about what I had for the earlier. There's a rogue chance it was Margaret's mother who knew Bridget Sullivan...
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

InterestedReader wrote:
KGDevil wrote: I had just begun to chase Margaret Sullivan down through the birth record of her son Leon F. Sullivan. But it appears you were already ahead of me on this Interested. So, that's another myth that has been more or less debunked.
KG did you make any confident finds on Margaret's parents, Jeremiah O'Neil and his wife Margaret, for the 1860 and 1870 Census? I find their later lives, but was doubtful about what I had for the earlier. There's a rogue chance it was Margaret's mother who knew Bridget Sullivan...
I haven't found anything so far.But I am still searching. Hopefully, something useful will turn up.
InterestedReader

Andrew Borden. 'Known to have been a sportsman in his youth' according to the 1892 'press. I took this to be a salacious point about womanising, because in C19th Britain, 'sporting' was widely used in this sense. But I was unsure about the States...

Well here is an 1895 guide to prostitution -
'The Civil War Bawdy Houses of Washington, D.C.: Including a Map of Their Former Locations and a Reprint of the Souvenir Sporting Guide for the Chicago, Illinois, G.A.R. 1895, Reunion'.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

This is an interesting take on the term. I will have to look into it further. But many of the books and magazines I have read from the nineteenth century also refer to a person who gambles as a sporting man. Also, men who enjoyed taking part in watching and/or betting on any sort of sport, from boat racing to boxing, were referred to this way.
gerontologist

Post by gerontologist »

I have been doing a lot of library research (in my work as a social gerontologist) lately and took a minute to do a data base search for articles that might say whether "a sporting man" might refer to a womanizer in latter 19th century New England. I have been getting some confirmation that this may be the case. Here is one article I found:

Howell, Philip. 2001. "Sex and the City of Bachelors: Sporting Guidebooks and Urban Knowledge in Nineteenth-Century Britain and America," Cultural Geographies, 8: 20-50.
DOI: 10.1177/096746080100800102

In the article's abstract on page 20:

"Guidebooks to brothels and prostitutes flourished in mid-nineteenth century Britain and America, particularly in the great cities of London and New York. This paper treats such guides as a form of imaginative mapping, associated with a ‘sporting’ male culture of sexually predatory men and an ideal city of male sexual opportunity."
Franz

Post by Franz »

PattiG157 wrote:...I have always believed that if Lizzie didn't commit the murders (and I don't believe she did), she had to know who murdered her parents...
Hey PattiG157, could you tell me for what reasons you think Lizze (if innocent) had to know the identity of the murderer? Thanks!
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
PattiG157

Post by PattiG157 »

Good question. Because of her lies surrounding where she was when the murders occurred, the fact that she was in the house much of the time that morning, her lies about the note for her stepmother (which I don't believe ever existed), and her lies about the menstrual pail (which she said had been there for three days, but Bridgette said that it was only there one day) -- plus, I believe she would've protested more if the killer was unknown to her. I think she would've maybe been more straightforward with her answers to the police, would've proclaimed her innocence more loudly, and would've been, overall, less awkward about the entire event. In my opinion, she felt awkward because she knew the killer and wanted to protect him for some reason ... that is, IF she didn't commit the murders herself. Does any of this make sense? (I might be babbling LOL)

Patti M. Garner
Henderson, KY
InterestedReader

Just a random post-script.

It was Stephen Manchester who had a son born out of wedlock. I noticed it recently. Could it have been this which led to the idea of Andrew Borden having an illegitimate son? The Borden and Manchester crimes must have been linked in people's minds, for several reasons. And then William Borden committed suicide on the road where the Manchesters lived. Did local folklore transfer the Manchester 'bastard' to the Borden family?

Stephen Manchester had a son who didn't initially take the name of Manchester and whose status was only regulated later when Stephen Manchester remarried. The son exchanged one surname for another and became known as Bertha's 'half-brother'. Brown didn't discover the existence of this Manchester lad, it seems. Brown was ascribing both crimes to William Borden, wasn't he?

I wonder if gossip about the Manchester lad got mangled into this daft William Borden story.

That said, it's a Jungian perennial, the idea of the illegitimate son out for revenge - and if nothing else useful is to be gained from the 'Phillip Gordon Reed' letter it does show people reading the crime this way by August the 12th. Which is immediately.
Steveads2004

Post by Steveads2004 »

It was Arnold Brown's book that renewed my interest in the case years ago. I was a supporter of his for a while too but after some time here on this forum I came to see the flaws in his theory. Too bad he passed away before he could really defend his ideas. It would have been great to hear his views on a forum like this. Imagine that back and forth! Although I not longer accept his theory I do give him much credit for bringing attention to serious study of the case.
PattiG157

Post by PattiG157 »

:smiliecolors: Just out of curiosity, what is the main reason you don't support his theory? I, too, have reservations about Billy Borden -- I have doubts that he was even Andrew Borden's son, because it can't be corroborated. But I'm just curious why others are also having doubts about the theory that Billy Borden killed Lizzie's father and stepmother. Is it because there's no proof, or because you don't believe Arnold Brown's book? Like I said, I'm just curious.
Patti M. Garner
Henderson, KY
Minions3

Post by Minions3 »

William is NOT Andrew's son.
The reason Arnold Brown could not locate a Birth record for William at the city clerks office in Fall River is because I saw them at the Fall River Library in 2002.
Steveads2004

Post by Steveads2004 »

Hi Patti, I changed my view over the years as I read about the holes in his theory. It sounds like the Billy being Andrew's son is based on nothing but gossip and speculation. No evidence of any connection during life to the family members at all. He just pops up in Browns book and there is nothing to back up his claims. I don't put any credence in Ellen Eagan anymore she seems to be just a person who was in the area that day. Did she see anyone? She never testified that she did, that all comes from disjointed and jumbled memories from her future son in law? I think there was involvement by another but I think Morse was involved in a plan with the girls to get rid of Abby before the estate could be divvied up in a will. I think Andrew was collateral damage, he was not supposed to die, hence Lizzie's reaction and when Morse finds out Andy is dead too his reaction was to yell for Lizzie and when he gets to her he says How did THIS happen?" Sorry I am not sure which book I got that from. Anyway there is nothing about Billy that makes him anything but a sad case from a sad family.
PattiG157

Post by PattiG157 »

I agree. I, too, have heard that John Morse said that to Lizzie; I also think someone else was involved, but who? Do you take any stock in Ruby Cameron's story that Lizzie confessed on her death bed that Dave Anthony actually killed the Bordens? I have trouble with that one, too. I might be inclined to believe Ruby Cameron, but Lizzie was a pathological liar, so she may have just been saying that. Also, I know John Morse's alibi was tight, but it sounded a little too convenient. I mean, he had his day memorized a little too well, if you know what I mean. Anyway, thanks for replying. I've been "studying" Lizzie for over 10 years now, but the info is all so confusing I'm not sure what to think of it all -- you know what I mean? Have a great day!!'

Patti M. Garner
Henderson, KY
Cousin63

Post by Cousin63 »

InterestedReader wrote:Just a random post-script.

It was Stephen Manchester who had a son born out of wedlock. I noticed it recently. Could it have been this which led to the idea of Andrew Borden having an illegitimate son? The Borden and Manchester crimes must have been linked in people's minds, for several reasons. And then William Borden committed suicide on the road where the Manchesters lived. Did local folklore transfer the Manchester 'bastard' to the Borden family?

Stephen Manchester had a son who didn't initially take the name of Manchester and whose status was only regulated later when Stephen Manchester remarried. The son exchanged one surname for another and became known as Bertha's 'half-brother'. Brown didn't discover the existence of this Manchester lad, it seems. Brown was ascribing both crimes to William Borden, wasn't he?

I wonder if gossip about the Manchester lad got mangled into this daft William Borden story.

That said, it's a Jungian perennial, the idea of the illegitimate son out for revenge - and if nothing else useful is to be gained from the 'Phillip Gordon Reed' letter it does show people reading the crime this way by August the 12th. Which is immediately.
I would love to know more about this other son. I'm a Manchester. Stephen was the brother of my second great-grandfather. I know of the four children from Stephen's marriage to Hannah, and the one child from his second marriage. I actually have photogrphs of two of the boys, and one I think might possibly be of Bertha, but it's hard to tell by comparing it to the awful newspaper drawing. I'm always looking for more information on the family, so if anyone can fill me in, I'd appreciate it. Oh, and Lizzie is my sixth cousin, three times removed. :smile:
InterestedReader

Hello. This was just something I noticed and I'll send you a message about it. I didn't post the name at the time, mindful of family descendants.

You know, those newspaper sketch portraits were usually drawn direct from a photograph, if the newspaper could get hold of one. And if you see the original photograph the derivation is obvious. You might be lucky and see your 'Bertha' photo translated in the newspapers.

I've an idea I saw some Manchester family photos go by on Ancestry... but it's been a while :smile: .
Cousin63

Post by Cousin63 »

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if you could message me with any info you have!