Good Lizzie Books

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Twokeets

Good Lizzie Books

Post by Twokeets »

Hi--I am new to this board, and am so happy to find it. Seems like a good place with lots of thoughtful, informed discussion. One thing I get frustrated with is the abundance of books about Lizzie which contain untruths. Is there one you really liked which you feel to be more or less truthful? Right now I'm interested in her psychology, and also agree with the idea that there was probably abuse in the home. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Franz

Re: Good Lizzie Books

Post by Franz »

Hey Twokeets, welcome to the forum. Hope that you enjoy it.

The most informative book on the Borden case, according to many scholars, is Leonard Rebello's "Lizzie Borden: Past & Present" (I didn't read it and don't possess it neither. :smile: ) It has been so much hunted for by the Borden case amateurs that the copies available online are all very expensive.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Hello Twokeets, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy reading through the threads on the forum. If you have questions or comments you would like to submit on any of the threads, please do so, and we will reply to your comments and hopefully answer your questions.

I very first thing I would recommends that you read, are the primary documents. They are free, and here is the link to download them (Please wait for the page to turn black and then load.): http://tinyurl.com/y9dqob59

I agree with Franz regarding Leonard Rebello's book. It is consider to be the 'bible' of the Borden case. Another fact filled book is Parnell Lives: A Social History of Lizzie A. Borden and Her Fall River, by Michael Martins and Dennis A. Binette. Both of these books are pricey, but worth every penny spent on them.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Twokeets

Post by Twokeets »

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I have heard of the second book, about Lizzie and Fall River. Sounds like there are some interesting photos in that one. It's possible my town library has the books. If not, a nice self-birthday present may be in order.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You're welcome for the book suggestions. I hope your town library carries both of those books. However, you may want to treat yourself to a wonderful birthday gift, so that you have them handy for reference. As I have already stated, they are pricey, but worth every penny.

Lizzie Borden: Past & Present, is a large book containing 642 pages. Here is the kink to Amazon.com for Lizzie Borden: Past & Present: http://tinyurl.com/z77mvwu

Parallel Lives: A Social History of Lizzie A. Borden and Her Fall River, is a huge book containing 1138 pages. Here is the link to Amazon.com for Parallel Lives: http://tinyurl.com/j2pbnt6
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Hey Twins:

The Amazon listings for Parallel Lives start at 104 dollars.

You can have a new copy from the Fall River Historical Society, right from the authors, for 50 dollars. They should have plenty of copies on hand.

You can't go to their site, though. It is down and under construction. So you may have to call the Society and ask about the book. They can be reached at 508 679-1071.

:study:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thanks MB!!! :grin: I knew the Fall River Historical Society's web site was currently down, but I didn't have their phone number! :sad:

So, there you go, Twokeets; 50 dollars is the same amount I paid for my copy of Parallel Lives a few years ago.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Just a note about Leonard Rebello's book and Parallel Lives.

Rebello's Lizzie Borden Past and Present is basically a reference book. A who's who, and what's what.

As for Parallel Lives, there is very little inside that thick volume about the actual crime. It does touch on some new material about Lizzie and her time in jail but it has very little about the actual murders and the events there after. A good part of the book is and embroidered account of Lizzie as a person and the people around her, from relatives, friends, etc. You will find very little about the case.

So if someone is trying to learn more general information, accounts, time lines, etc., about the crime these are not the volumes to start with, though they are two of the most important books on the subject "LIZZIE BORDEN". And for anyone who is serious about, or wants to extend their study on the life of Lizzie Borden and those around her, Lizzie Borden Past and Present and Parallel Lives are a must have.

Sadly, almost every account on the crime has it's flaws. Most have errors, deliberate or otherwise.

For me a good start is Edward Radin's book, Lizzie Borden the Untold Story. You must get around the fact that Radin makes a case for the guilt of Bridget Sullivan, otherwise, it's a decent read.

Another is Edmund Pearson's The Trial of Lizzie Borden. The first book written about the crime shortly after the death of Lizzie Borden. Person does not hide the fact that he believed Lizzie to be guilty. A very dry read, still very informative.

As for a more modern account, 1974, there is Robert Sullivan's Goodbye Lizzie Borden. Sullivan was a judge and takes a legal approach, if I remember correctly. Haven't read it in 30+ years.

And there's David Kent's Book, Forty Whacks. Heard a lot of good things about Kent's account, though there are errors. Sits on my shelf but yet to read it.

I don't recommend Lincoln, Spiering, or de mille. There is also plenty of fluff in the middle, but the ones I mentioned or the big boys in the telling of the crime.

I would also consider Edwin Porter's book written in 1893 and was the first account on the crime. The Fall River Tragedy.

Twokeets

Post by Twokeets »

Thanks so much, everyone, for the very helpful suggestions. By co-incidence I just happened to find the Sullivan book at my local library for fifty cents. They have a sale room there. Unfortunately they do not have the Parallel Lives or Rebello books in their stacks. Sounds like one might want to check out all the books, since so many have their particular inaccuracies. It's a fun challenge, though. Can't say why Lizzie's story feels so compelling, but it is!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Good luck in your investigation, Keets.

In your investigation, if you have any questions, just make an entry into the search feature above. Chances are you will find some discussion on it.

Studying the Borden Case can be fun. (who was to know that death was fun) This case happened so long ago, but just long enough that we have loads of information about the murders but not enough to solve it.

Studying the case can lead you down many avenues. Including woman's studies and Victorian life. Then there's life after Jail—Lizzie Borden's life and her home Mapleacroft. That is an interest all it's own. Lizzie the woman, citizen, and the innocent. (though many think otherwise)

You will find many knowledgeable sleuths studying this case, and of course, a hand full of crazies. But is that not true about life itself?

Well, got to go feed the animals. Had to lock the chickens in the bathroom and the goats in the bedroom. They keep pecking and eating all my Lizzie Borden books in the library.

Denali2016

Post by Denali2016 »

Sure would like to get the Rebello book but just can't stomach the current $143 price tag on Amazon!
CerintheM

Post by CerintheM »

Did people more knowledgeable about this subject than me like the Joseph Conforti book? I thought he had some really valuable insights into the role ethnicity (in particular) and also class played into the trial and media coverage.
Franz

Post by Franz »

I found online a book entitled The Lizzie Borden Sourcebook, by David Kent, in which are collected the press reports and articles in the past. I find them interesting.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
mspitstop

Post by mspitstop »

I've read just about every book published about Lizzie Borden. I started when I was about 12 with Edward Radin's "Lizzie Borden:The Untold Story" and it is still my personal favorite. My next favorite is David Kent's "Forty Whacks", which has an unfortunate title but is a very good, even handed book. His Sourcebook is valuable for contemporary news stories. So many of the others have dogmatic points of view and bend facts to meet their theories, some of which border on the ridiculous. Rebello and "Parallel Lives" are wonderful books with tons of all sorts of information. But do read the trial transcript and you will see why she was found not guilty. The witness statements too. Once you start reading the subject you can really go down the rabbit hole as there are so many ...what I call sideshows. How much and what matters? My dessert island crime!!
mspitstop

Post by mspitstop »

Also, folks, when looking for Borden books, try ABEBooks.com
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

I'm selling my copy of Parallel Lives for $75 with free shipping. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Another book about Lizzie Borden, this one fiction and with an interesting cover and title, coming out this August. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SarahJay

Post by SarahJay »

mbhenty wrote:Another book about Lizzie Borden, this one fiction and with an interesting cover and title, coming out this August. :smile:

Hello there! Thanks for giving a shout out to SEE WHAT I HAVE DONE. This is my book :grin:
It's a reimagining of the events that day and is more of a psychological exploration of Lizzie and co rather than a blow by blow account of the crime and trial (pardon the pun).

I've been a member of this forum for years now and although I don't really post anymore, I do check in from time to time. Having conversations on here and learning different theories and so on really helped with my research and the decisions I made of how to tell this story. I will always be grateful to everyone here and to the website in general.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Congratulation Sarah on your new publication. Writing about Lizzie and trying to contrive or give birth to a new approach on the crime is not an easy task.

I purchased one of your proofs on eBay. I was intrigued by the cover's subject matter and art. I know that it is a proof and not the finished product. I have read several pages and then decided that I would wait for the actual first edition before reading it. Most new writings, by well established authors and published by big box publishing houses, go through exhaustive draft reads before the proof is passed out. By the time the actual proof is released the book is just about perfect.

I have a new novel coming out late April or early May. I went through five documented drafts and just received my fourth proof today. Mistakes that are missed are countless. Or I may read something and think, "I can't believe I just wrote that trash." Never-ending changes and emendations. Hopefully this is my final proof. Proofs I hand out to friends or associates for correction are destroyed after they are reviewed. Or at least as many as I can get my hands on. I wish my readers to only set their eyes on the faultless finished product.

I must admit to being confused to why so many of your proofs have ended up on eBay, since proofs are usually strictly controlled by the author and publisher. As we speak there are two 'buy it now' copies of your book on eBay by two separate sellers. One on the east coast and the other on the west coast of the US.

None-the-less, I wish you lots of luck and many readers, kiddo. Cheers :!:

mb'
SarahJay

Post by SarahJay »

mbhenty wrote:Congratulation Sarah on your new publication. Writing about Lizzie and trying to contrive or give birth to a new approach on the crime is not an easy task.

I purchased one of your proofs on eBay. I was intrigued by the cover's subject matter and art. I know that it is a proof and not the finished product. I have read several pages and then decided that I would wait for the actual first edition before reading it. Most new writings, by well established authors and published by big box publishing houses, go through exhaustive draft reads before the proof is passed out. By the time the actual proof is released the book is just about perfect.

I have a new novel coming out late April or early May. I went through five documented drafts and just received my fourth proof today. Mistakes that are missed are countless. Or I may read something and think, "I can't believe I just wrote that trash." Never-ending changes and emendations. Hopefully this is my final proof. Proofs I hand out to friends or associates for correction are destroyed after they are reviewed. Or at least as many as I can get my hands on. I wish my readers to only set their eyes on the faultless finished product.

I must admit to being confused to why so many of your proofs have ended up on eBay, since proofs are usually strictly controlled by the author and publisher. As we speak there are two 'buy it now' copies of your book on eBay by two separate sellers. One on the east coast and the other on the west coast of the US.

None-the-less, I wish you lots of luck and many readers, kiddo. Cheers :!:

mb'

Thank you so much for your generous well wishes! Books are hard things to do and I found this one challenging mainly because it's such a well known case and I respect the way people dedicate themselves to uncovering the mystery. I wanted to play around with what is known and look at reasons why someone might kill their parents (doesn't mean i necessarily think she did it though!) and that of course needed a different approach. I know this will infuriate some readers!
I'll tell you what though: now that the book has come out here in Australia and will be on your shores soon, I'm really looking forward to going back to the case and relearning everything from the beginning as an 'armchair detective' rather than a novelist (if that makes sense).

I had no idea proofs were on sale and I really wish they weren't. I have no control over the proofs though my publishers do - perhaps I'll give them a heads up.

And good luck with your book! Let me know where I can buy a copy :)

Ps if you're interested in reading a recent review of my book, this one came out today : https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/201 ... 1784004483
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

In my case, all of my writings are published by the Pear Tree Press, a tiny publisher out of Lizzie's home town. Thus, I have strict control over my proofs. How can that be, you may ask? Probably because the publisher and I share the same bed. :lol: :lol: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I don't know how the publishing world works today, but publishers use to have a list of who they sent their proofs to. (Uncorrected proof, as they were usually referred to) The function of the proof, or 'galley proof' as they were called in the old days, was for correction purposes, and sent to authors, proofreaders, or any other such person in the book trade. Some proofs were referred to as 'advance copies' and look just like the finish book, and mailed out to libraries, stores, and professional pundits for review. Though copies of proofs show up on the market after publication, they were not meant to be sold, especially before the trade edition is released.

One note that may interest you.

The Fall River Historical Society was sent a copy of your proof and asked if they would like to carry it in their gift shop. If the proof still contains errors or revisions are still pending, this is not the stage to send libraries, stores, or otherwise, an early uncorrected copy of the book. They should have been sent a finished trade edition.

Below is a copy of my first novel, published a couple of years back: The Girl with the Pansy Pin.

Once again, lots of luck with See What I Have Done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

And they keep on rolling out.

Still another Lizzie Borden Novel, do out October this year.
patsy

Post by patsy »

More new books that seem to be calling us. I do wish money grew on trees. Congratulations, Sarah, I read the review and I know I'll want one when it comes to our shores. Some of the bloody though. . .

About good books I have to agree with all that are mentioned. Having the source book has helped a lot and Parallel Lives is a wonderful social history of Fall River and the people of Lizzie's time. I could hardly wait for it to finally come out. Lots of neat pictures in it too.
AngieWarhol

Post by AngieWarhol »

If this was previously mentioned and I missed it I apologize, but The Borden Murders: Lizzie Borden & The Trial of The Century was a great factually based book that focuses on the murder. I stumbled across it on my suggested titles on amazon and bought it on a whim and was not disappointed. Also, mbhenty, you wrote Girl with the Pansy Pin?! I read it on my long ride(too long) home from my first visit to the house last year and immediately fell in love with it!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Very happy you liked the book, Angela. It is a long read and I'm always happy not to have wasted someone's time reading the fiction that has fallen out of my head. It was very nice of you to mention The Girl with the Pansy Pin. Thanks for the kind words. :smile:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Hello, Stiven, welcome to the forum. You have joined the very best forum for accurate information on Lizzie Borden.

Take the time to read the primary documents, which you can obtain free, here: http://tinyurl.com/mbkpkgd Also read through the threads on the forum here, which are packed with information about the Borden murders; if you have questions, please ask and we will answer them if we can. I am interested in hearing your questions and comments.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's another new book about the Borden case by Ronald Bartle. You know Ronald, no? Well, I don't either. The book came out this month.

Not sure if it is good or not, but I would be interested to know what sort of angle this author is taking. One good thing is that he's a Brit. So not are we also going to be exposed to an entire new viewpoint, but probably an entire fresh allocation of errors. We shall see.

Click to make BIG :!:
InterestedReader

Post by InterestedReader »

mbhenty wrote:One good thing is that he's a Brit. So not are we also going to be exposed to an entire new viewpoint, but probably an entire fresh allocation of errors.
Careful now MB. Brits present.

We do have a fairly recognised empyrean of Academia, and if that concerned itself with the Borden case you wouldn't know what hit you!
I'm a Londoner. We manage to cope with the hordes of Americans who apply their wisdom to the Whitechapel Murders.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, InterestedReader. Thus you know just what I mean.

But to set the record straight. If given the chance to be born again, I would chose to be born a Brit. Though I spent most of my time in Wales, I fell in love with the honesty and kindness of the British people when I was over there.

As far as the new author getting it wrong, this has more to do with being a new author than with him being British. Very few new authors get the facts right, or are influenced by faulty research or 'writer's bias'.... the act of being sensational or theatric for the sake of selling books.

But to be truthful, when I was in London I had a couple of bad experiences. I think it had more to do with being in the big city than the British people. It was the 70s, and I remember going into a Jaguar dealership. When in the showroom I opened the door to an XKE and was rudely told by a salesperson not to touch the car. Like I said, this was the seventies and I was wearing a lemon and brown colored, plaid three piece suit. I couldn't blame him. Though with my 7 inch platform shoes I looked right at home. :lol: :-? :cry: :oops:
InterestedReader

mbhenty wrote:Yes, InterestedReader. Thus you know just what I mean.

But to set the record straight. If given the chance to be born again, I would chose to be born a Brit. Though I spent most of my time in Wales, I fell in love with the honesty and kindness of the British people when I was over there.
You like us don't you? :grin:
mbhenty wrote:But to be truthful, when I was in London I had a couple of bad experiences. I think it had more to do with being in the big city than the British people. It was the 70s, and I remember going into a Jaguar dealership. When in the showroom I opened the door to an XKE and was rudely told by a salesperson not to touch the car. Like I said, this was the seventies and I was wearing a lemon and brown colored, plaid three piece suit. I couldn't blame him. Though with my 7 inch platform shoes I looked right at home. :lol: :-? :cry: :oops:
Tell me where the dealership was! If you were in Mayfair then they were all-round snooty till the Kuwaiti Arabs arrived and they had to put snooty aside. If you were in Lewisham it was because you weren't black. If you were in Kensington they knew you didn't have a title. If you were in New Cross... then that's odd.

I hope you went down Jermyn St in that outfit :grin: .
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

That's very funny, InterestedReader.

Can't remember. it was over 45 years ago. It was a time when the best music in the world was being made, the most progressive tunes exported from GB, and the worst fashions to hit the runways bestowed on a naive youthful public.

All I remember was the dealership was close to the airport. Heathrow. The suit I had on was very similar in color and design to the one worn by the model below.

Unfortunately, I got to see very little of London at the time. It was a stopover where I was picked up by my hosts, (girlfriend) and quickly escorted to Neath and Swansea, where I spent most of my time when visiting GB.

The good news was that on my return to the US I did so dressed in a very formal tailor made proper English suit and a Genesis album (Trespass) under arm. Solid dark colored suit, brown.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's an interesting book. Limericks and poetry with funny illustrations. (you remember 'books'. Paper, ink, actually touchable, sometimes fusty) Looks like a fun read. Just published, by a young lady named Dixie J. Whitted. Has a chapter on Lizzie Borden. I love the title. Crime Rhymes: From Bad to Verse. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, the new book by Dixie J. Whitted sounds like a 'must have' book. Amazon list this book as having a 124 pages, for $7.99. Not bad!

http://tinyurl.com/y7nl38kd
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Twins:

It appears that Ms Dixie is more of an illustrator than an author. Her other books are centered around her cartoons. This volume probably does not contain much about Lizzie, but as a book, 8 bucks is very reasonable. Helps to be a poetry fan to optimize enjoyment of it I would guess. Good luck to her. :smile:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I agree, MB, there probably isn't much on Lizzie, but who knows, we may be surprised. :shock: That would be nice wouldn't it? I just find the following sentence, in the description, quite intriguing (Underlining is mine): Don't miss the particularly peculiar chapters on Lizzie Borden and Sherlock Holmes.

I'm sure the wording is just an attention getter, but interesting all the same. :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here we go.

Ebay.

The Knowlton Papers.

Looks like dust jacket is missing.

But the bidding is only up to 10 dollars. One day and 16 hours left to bid. Good chance to acquire The Knowlton Papers for a decent price if you don't already have it.... or if you do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lizzie-Borden-b ... 1438.l2649
InterestedReader

mbhenty wrote:Here we go.

Ebay.

The Knowlton Papers.

Looks like dust jacket is missing.

But the bidding is only up to 10 dollars. One day and 16 hours left to bid. Good chance to acquire The Knowlton Papers for a decent price if you don't already have it.... or if you do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lizzie-Borden-b ... 1438.l2649

Oh my goodness yes I want it and don't have it because the few I've seen were criminally expensive :grin: Thank you very much mb!
InterestedReader

Oo I've just noticed they 'may not' ship to foreign parts. Wonder if they will if i write & ask nicely? They've probably heard of Europeans in Vermont...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Interestedreader:

Should you be serious of bidding on the Knowlton Papers you can have it mailed to my address in Massachusetts and I in turn can mail it off to you. (private message) If so, please be aware that postage is very dear. Including the box, the wrapping, and the book itself would bring the package to just about 3 pounds. (that's pounds in weight not in currency) The book itself weights just over 2. 3/4 lbs. And there is the postage from Vermont to Massachusetts, which is an additional 4 pounds. (currency, not weight)

If you are uncomfortable giving away your name and address, you can send it to Stefani the administrator of this site instead, and she will handle it.

Cheers, MB
InterestedReader

Would you really do that? What an extremely kind offer, because it would put you to a lot of bother. First I'll ask the seller if they can send it here.

Why has the same person bid 3 times :grin: ? (I don't usually do Ebay). Do people dither about and bid repeatedly?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

They do that often. They are unsure what they want to pay so they keep raising their bid. No telling how high they may have gone.

If you can get it cheap enough, and do not have a copy in your library, it is worth biding on. You should check postage first. It will probably be somewhere north of 25 pounds.

When I bid on eBay I do so with only minutes or seconds on the clock. This way I don't get into a bidding war or give someone a chance to out bid me if in fact I am the high bid. What I do is bid once. I decide on how much I want to spend and bid my max, once. I make certain there is no time for me to bid a second time so I don't get carried away paying more than I wanted to. If my one bid is not the highest then so be it. The item was probably selling for more than I wanted to pay.

In the event that you do bid and win I would be very happy to have it mailed off to you if the seller does not mail to the UK.

Good luck :!: :smile:
Unctura

Post by Unctura »

I've had a lot of difficulties finding reputable books on the Lizzie Borden case. Personally, I check this website for pdf downloads of books before I check the library or my local goodwill. I wasn't about to pay $100-200 for a book on the Lizzie Borden case seeing as there is so much free information on the case out there. So, in my search for useful texts on Lizzie Borden and her trial, I found a lot of alternative information sources which may be helpful to you.

I think someone may have already mentioned the Primary Source Documents for the Lizzie Borden trial, which can be found HERE. Aside from the documents listed on this page, which are all packed with information, there are also four PDF copies of essential case related books. All of which, are downloadable.

Fall River Tragedy - Edwin H. Porter
The Mystery Unveiled - Todd Lunday
Trail of Lizzie Borden - Edmund Pearson
Borden Murder Mystery - Arther Sherman Phillips

Another wonderful source of information and my favorite podcast, is the History Chicks. They have a recently revisited episode on Lizzie Borden, which can be found HERE. They also post show notes on each podcast which are full of useful links, sources, and information. This is a great introduction to the Lizzie Borden story and is actually pretty in-depth and well researched.

There is also this website which is practically just a database of information on the trial of Lizzie.

I will add to this list if I happen across anymore helpful information.
mysteryfan

Post by mysteryfan »

Hi. I'm new to this forum and was drawn here after reading Sarah Schmidt's book, See What I Have Done. I'll see if I can find the other books you've been mentioning. This seems like a very helpful site.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Please allow me to voice some friendly counsel.

Speaking as someone who has approached the Borden story, after many, many years of study, and consummating everything I know about the Borden case into a 570 page work of fiction, I am very much aware of the different types of books that exist. Most which sit on my shelf. In the past decade the world of fiction has exploded with fictional accounts of the Borden murders. We must be careful not to conflate literature or novels with non fiction, thus true accounts. The problem is that storylines are discussed and digested by some as factual when in truth they were taken from a novel. Over time synthetic narratives and true accounts mingle and truth and accuracy become smeared in fictional tellings.

If one is interested in studying the case he or she should stay away from fiction. Please understand, I don't mean don't read fiction, just don't use what you read in a serious discussion about the case. Or perhaps, do just that. Just know the difference between truth and fiction and make yourself plain.

A good example is that Lizzie committed the murders and did so while she was nude. This idea was actually first brought up at the trail by George Robinson, Lizzie's attorney, during his closing argument when he claimed that he would not be surprised if the prosecution mentioned that Lizzie "denude" when she committed the murder. But the more important and recent disclosure was exhibited in the 1975 movie, The Legend of Lizzie Borden. Fiction! But there are those who believe that it was true since it has been repeated so many times.

By all means, read fiction. But don't believe a word unless you know better.

Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

By all means seek out a copy of the little book The Mystery Unveiled by "Todd Lunday" (whose real name is revealed in Parallel Lives). He does not name the murderer, but leaves little doubt about who it likely was. Fascinating and very well written. No doubt it will be hard to find as it was a limited publishing, but well worth the search.
Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

Addendum: Todd Lunday's little book was published first in 1893 as was Porter's. It was republished some years ago as a facsimile edition.
Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

betterworldbooks.com right now has a copy of Lunday for $32.20, not bad for this rare little booklet.
mspitstop

Post by mspitstop »

I have read just about every book on Lizzie Borden and a lot of them are just junk. The first book I ever read is still one of my favorites and that is Edward Radin's "Lizzie Borden: The Untold Story". I still think he makes a good case for his argument. The book I think has the fewest errors and is the least biased is David Kent's "Forty Whacks" - a really unfortunate title to a well written book. Those two books do have a narrative. The Rebello book and the more recent tome (encyclopedia!) by Michael Martins are invaluable ifyou want to research. I would suggest, though, that once you read a book or two and start forming an opinion you take a time out and actually read the entire trial transcript. It is available online and it will give you a true perspective on why she was acquitted. You can find almost any book about Ms Borden on ABEBooks.com and you will get the best prices. You don't really need to look on ebay.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Still another book about Lizzie Borden and the Borden Crime has been published.

Love the title: One Hot Day in August.

This one published just his May by Victoria Stachan. Victoria is British.

Probably nothing new here, especially to Borden aficionados or many here on this form.

One item Ms Stachan appears obsessed with is the "telephone".

I will place it in context and make a correction.

During the Borden Murders very, very few people had telephones. Everybody was not having them installed as Ms. Stachan mentions. Ninety-nine percent of those with phones were business or doctors. They were of little use to the common citizen since it was still very new. So no, telephones were not yet popular or being installed everywhere. Proof of this is displayed in very early Massachusetts telephone directories which I have viewed.

Like most books written about the Borden murders there is always a host of errors one may find.... or facts which are not that factual, or that you may have a dispute with. Bill Spencer's book, "The Case Against Lizzie Borden" is one of those rare tomes where he gets it right and proof that he did his research correctly shines through.

So here are some excerpts from One Hot Day in August that you may find issue with.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

more :roll:

:arrow: