Joseph H. Tetrault

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

KGDevil

Joseph H. Tetrault

Post by KGDevil »

It's been a strange thing trying to trace the movements or even the most basic information of Lizzie Borden's Coachman Joseph H. Tatro/Tetrault. I've traced many characters over the years, and learned some very valuable tricks in finding them, but this guy is a tough nut to crack.

I at first tried looking for information on the forum. But there is very little information provided. Most of it has no source information provided. There is information about a man named Joseph H. Tatro who died in Cuyahoga, Ohio who is supposedly THE Joseph. But no information as to how or why he ended up there in Ohio. Or no information as to how or why the 1900 Census shows a birth date of February 1893 for a single man named John H. Tatro. But the death certificate shows a birth date of August 9, 1929 for a single man named Joseph H. Tatro. Most of the history provided afterwards seems to come from the information provided on the death certificate with the wrong birth date provided. And still no sources as to why and how he arrived in Ohio as a "Sheff".

Newspaper articles are almost a bust unless they mention his attachment to Lizzie. Because there are so MANY Joseph Tetrault/Tatro/Tetreau's popping up all over Massachusetts and Rhode Island they can't all possibly be him. I've seen everything from adultery to chicken thievery. What makes him illusive is the misspelling of his name. And the fact that Joseph Tetrault is far more common a name than I at first realized.

Going through the city directories picking him out becomes like a needle in a haystack. The same thing for going through census records. I did learn however that either Joseph H. Tetrault had a son named Joseph, or his father was also named Joseph. IF the information for him moving to Rhode Island is legitimate, those are the only two options.

The information that is allegedly known for sure is this:

"Tatro, Joseph H., head man for the Bordens, white, male, born Feb., 1863, age 37, single, born in Rhode Island, father born in Rhode Island, mother born in Rhode Island, occupation, headman.

Note: Joseph H. Tatro, also spelled Tetrault, was employed by Emma and Lizzie Borden from 1899-1902 and 1904-1908. When Emma left Lizzie in 1905, newspapers reported that Emma Borden did not like Mr. Tetrault nor his "doings or position as coachman." He had been dismissed and returned to his job as a barber. He was later rehired as coachman and remained at French Street until 1908. "Miss Emma is said to have still found offense in his comfortable preferment. Tetrault was a fine looking young man and reported to be very popular among the ladies, although Miss Emma took a dislike to him." Mr. Tetrault left Fall River in 1908 and moved to Providence, Rhode Island."

The 1900 Census for John H. Tatro:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1325221

If you notice the hairdresser is Joseph H. Tatro. The man working for Lizzie is Joseph H. Tetrault. The two names are never mixed up. For the years that I do not show any listings, there are none. Fall River City Directory Listings for 1897 -1908:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KGDevil on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. - Arthur Conan Doyle
KGDevil

Re: Joseph H. Tetrault

Post by KGDevil »

The rest of the listings for Fall RIver:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. - Arthur Conan Doyle
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Rhode Island Directories 1908-1910: I've run down all of the barbers. They all died married men with children in Rhode Island.
Last edited by KGDevil on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Barber One:
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Barber Two:
Last edited by KGDevil on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

1908: Pawtucket, Providence, Rhode Island.
InterestedReader

Post by InterestedReader »

It's a while since I had a brief attempt to track Tetrault - I too looked at the 'chef' and thought he didn't seem right. Among French-speakers the name would be 'Tetrault' - but I remember seeing quite a lot of Tetraults in Fall River, many with their names deformed. It seems as if French immigrants to Massachusetts often capitulated over their name, in the face of a society which didn't make much effort to pronounce even a surname.

Where did Tetrault's parents immigrate from? Was his mother French-Canadian? or is that the wrong Tetrault?
Steveads2004

Post by Steveads2004 »

Just a thought;could "Sheff" be mangled shorthand for chauffer?