Her Uncle Helped Her

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

missieb2000

Her Uncle Helped Her

Post by missieb2000 »

I have always been fascinated by the Borden murders, even when I was naive enough to believe Miss Borden was innocent.
After countless books read on the subject, I believe that her Uncle helped her and that she purposefully sent her sister away to provide an alibi for her.
I think Andrew Borden may well have been the most insufferable bore, but Lizzie hung in there, biding time until he died. She had sacrificed ever having a family of her own, and when she discovered that Andrew had planned a change in the will to include his second wife more generously I believe she had enough.
I have read that Mr. Borden kept his bedroom locked but conspicuously hung the keys right beside the door. Was there a small theft of some sort? I don't know. But I do know Lizzie's father was a real jerk of a skinflint.
I believe that the Uncle was persuaded to assist Lizzie and that she killed her stepmother first, and with all of the pent up rage one would expect. I think she was already finished when her Uncle administered the fatal blow to Andrew, but I believe Lizzie did the majority of the wet work.
The sinkers she claimed she made to account for burning her dress were just that-a claim.
This is the only timeline that I can imagine that would keep Lizzie in view of the housekeeper enough to provide cover-but still give them time to finish the job, so to speak.
NancyDrew

Re: Her Uncle Helped Her

Post by NancyDrew »

Hello missie,

While I DO think it quite possibly that John V. Morse (the uncle) knew more than he said, I cannot feature him murdering Andrew. He had a good alibi as to where he was during the murders, right down to the number of the street car and the badge number on the conductors capt.

Also, may I ask what you think Morse's motive was? He didn't benefit from the Borden's deaths, didn't keep in touch with Emma and Lizzie after the trial, in fact, left the East (twice) and settled back in Iowa, which is where he died. He is an interesting character, for sure, but to have actually swung the axe? Hmmm, I have to disagree.
snokkums

Re: Her Uncle Helped Her

Post by snokkums »

I think he knew more. He might have given her some ideas on how to do the deed and get away with it.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.