The Birth of Lizzie Borden

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

specs7

The Birth of Lizzie Borden

Post by specs7 »

Hello everybody. I've been reading here for some time but this my first time posting I have a question about Lizzie Bordens birth. Does anyone know whether Lizzie Borden was born in a hospital or at home? Thanks in advance for your comments.
mbhenty

Re: The Birth of Lizzie Borden

Post by mbhenty »

I have never seen or heard anything about Lizzie Borden's actual birth. Chances are that she was born at home. Remember, we are talking 1860s. Fall River did not have a hospital at that time. Complications and concerns about birth were taken care of by a 'mid-wife' or 'house nurse' who was hired and would see to the birth and assist the wife/mother. Of course one had to have money to do this. After the birth some house nurses would stay on to assist the new mother. Again, for those with the money.

Chances are that Lizzie was born at home, on Ferry Street. Fall River did not have a formal hospital or any hospital at all that I know of until the mid 1880s. And in those days you had to be close to death to be admitted to a 'hospital'. Simple medical emergencies, things such as birth, broken arms, lacerations, etc. were all taken care of at home or the doctor's office.

Thus, I can safely assume that Lizzie was born at home since I have never read anything about her actual birth.

:study: