Lizzie Drew Borden

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

gerontologist

Lizzie Drew Borden

Post by gerontologist »

After searching this forum, I did not find this topic; I hope I'm not going over well-trodden ground. Recently I encountered two publications from the late 19th Century* that list Lizzie Borden as "Lizzie D. Borden" and "Lizzie Drew Borden." Is this how she was recorded in one year's census record, or maybe in some church registry? Just curious.
*one of them is Fall River and Its Industries: An Historical and Statistical Record of Village, Town, and City, From the Date of the Original Charter of the Freemen's Purchase in 1656 to the Present Time. by Frederick M. Peck and Henry H. Earl (1877). Atlantic Publishing and Engraving Co., NY: Benjamin Ear & Son, Fall River Mass)
twinsrwe

Re: Lizzie Drew Borden

Post by twinsrwe »

Welcome back, gerontologist! It's been a long time. :grin:

I have not heard of Lizzie Borden being referred to as "Lizzie D. Borden" or "Lizzie Drew Borden". I am not into genealogy, but InterestedReader and KGDevil are. Hopefully one or both of them would be willing to to do some research on "Lizzie D. Borden" and "Lizzie Drew Borden". Sorry, I am not of more help. :sad:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
InterestedReader

Post by InterestedReader »

Slander :grin: ! I'm so not into genealogy!
It's just a means to an end - or rather, certain records are helpful in sorting out what's legend and what's not. There's a heck of a lot of legend goes into Lizzie Borden.

Happy Xmas! :santa:

As to Lizzie 'Drew'... why would an 1877 publication have any reason to mention her?
Mention the right one, I mean :grin: .
gerontologist

Post by gerontologist »

Borden generation.jpg
The books I encountered included records of the founding families in the Fall River area. I took a photo of the one listing "Lizzie D." (Fall River and Its Industries..., 1877), but not of the one that listed her as "Lizzie Drew." In fact, I failed to record the source for the latter (oops!). Each lists Lizzie with her other family members. So, in both cases, this is supposed to be the "right" Lizzie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gerontologist

Post by gerontologist »

I found the second source using Google to access books made available online. I'm attaching a screen shot of the page and I have added the source to the jpg file.
Lizzie Drew ref.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

InterestedReader wrote:Slander :grin: ! I'm so not into genealogy!
It's just a means to an end - or rather, certain records are helpful in sorting out what's legend and what's not. There's a heck of a lot of legend goes into Lizzie Borden. ...
Well, slander or not, I think you are one of the best, when it comes to finding family connections and history! What can I say? When you've got, you've got it! :grin:
InterestedReader wrote:... Happy Xmas! :santa:...
Merry Christmas to you too, Wendy. I hope you and your family had a wonderful day.
InterestedReader wrote: ... As to Lizzie 'Drew'... why would an 1877 publication have any reason to mention her?
Mention the right one, I mean :grin: .
Good question! :scratch:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
InterestedReader

Gosh look at that. How interesting.

Genealogies published in 1877 and 1899... I see what you mean now.

A long way in the past there was a fair bit of forum talk about the Hattie Borden Weld. So far I'm only seeing one forum mention of the 'Drew' - posted in 2005! It's a bit gnomic:

'[...]Lizzie Andrew's been called Lizzie Drew, Elizabeth Andrew, Elizabeth Drew, Lizbeth, Lisabeth, etc. Emma Lenore's been called Emma Leonora and Emma Eleanor...'

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1066&p=19052&hilit= ... rew#p19052

Did they start off with 'Drew' and later plump for 'Andrew' instead? Is 'Drew' just short for 'Andrew'..?

Lizzie appears on every census 1865 onwards as 'Lizzie A. Borden'... On the 1900 record there's a slight transcription error, to read 'Lizza'. She's 'Lizzie A. Borden' on her birth record and also on her 1890 passport application.
InterestedReader

...It seems that 'Drew' is a reasonably frequent middle name among people born in Massachusetts same time as Lizzie, and the previous generation. Men and women alike. I just had a quick look on Family Search :smile: .

Hattie Borden Weld has '1861' for Lizzie's year of birth, so... that's not totally accurate either.