Returned the KEY

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Returned the KEY

Post by mbhenty »

Just took a doleful walk over the way and retuned my key, slipping it into the brass mail slot on the front door.

Did my last walk-through yesterday and said goodbye.... to the building, that is.

My two year tenure at Maplecroft is over and it is doubtful I will ever step on that property again. :cry: :cry:

By this time tomorrow Maplecroft will officially have a new owner.

It is my consensus that it deserves better. Hopefully it will receive it.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twinsrwe

Re: Returned the KEY

Post by twinsrwe »

OMG, MB, my heart goes out to you. I read your post earlier today, but I couldn't bring myself to submit a reply until now. In the past two years, you have developed a bond with Maplecroft, which you graciously shared with us, and now that someone else will be taking over ownership, it is as if a friend has passed away. :sad: :cry: Knowing ahead of time that your and Maplecroft would have to part, does not make it any easier when the time comes, does it? I'm just glad you had the opportunity to say goodbye before turning in your key. :sad: :cry:

Have you heard who the new owner is?
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks for the kind words, Twins.

For years I had a strong dislike for that property. It's previous owner was a torn in my side.

After Maplecroft sold to Kristee I was invited to go over. I had no ambition or desire to do so and at first I refused.

Eventually I fell for Kristen's warmhearted and caring nature. She's a great gal, you know :!: I visited more and more, and the more I did the more responsibility I felt for Kristee and Maplecroft. After a while I found myself fixing things and keeping an eye on the building. More or less Maplecorft's caretaker. (The photo above is of my truck as seen from inside Maplecroft's garage as I move the last of my things)

When kristee was away I would walk the property. Me and Onsloe, my Wheaten Terrier. I would check doors, go inside, make sure the heat was working, and essentially make certain everything was in order. In time I fell for the building and its architecture. I came to know all the nooks and crannies, the positives and the flaws, envisioning Lizzie and Emma walking along side me and hoping they wouldn't push me down the stairs. :lol: :shock: :oops: I became attached to Maplecorft. Old houses have a soul to me. Some are almost alive. Especially old Victorians. I've worked in almost half the big houses on the hill, (the Highlands. Lizzie's Highlands) when I was younger. Architecture that can not be duplicated today. Build from old growth forests with grains that just don't exist today. Yep :!: I will miss Maplecorft and fear for its welfare. At least I had the experience. :wink:

Here's a small feature common in Victorian homes and one of my favorite. "The Steam Heating cast iron Radiator." This quarter round rad sits with it's sister on each side of the fireplace in the foyer. What character.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Oh yes. The buyers of Maplecroft are the owners of 92 Second Street. Get ready for the ghost of Lizzie. :cry:
InterestedReader

Post by InterestedReader »

There'll be even more of that 'psychic' hullabaloo?
patsy

Post by patsy »

Your post brought up sad feelings for me. Hate to see the end of anything and it was nice to see your posts of the old lady and how you helped her become beautiful again.

Those old radiators are so much more attractive than the old ones I grew up with.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You’re welcome for my heartfelt words, MB. As I read your post, I could feel your down-heartedness.

I recall throughout the years of being a forum member, all of the time periods that you have mentioned here. I know for several years you and the owner, previous to Kristee, were like oil and water; it seems as though he deliberately did things that he knew would get your goat. He did an injustice to Maplecroft, for sure; part of the proof is in the destruction of the back porch. I know he left a bitter taste in your mouth. I remember your refusal of Kristee’s invitation for you to visit Maplecroft, and finally your acceptance of her and the house. You were drawn into Maplecroft’s architectural design, and you finally bonded with the mansion. I am very thankful that you were willing to share your experiences with us, for you brought Maplecroft to life for those of us who have not stepped foot in the city of Fall River, MA., and for that I thank you.

Your time for being Maplecroft’s caregiver is over, but you still have the memories to hold onto, and your attachment to that house will never end. I believe that wholeheartedly.

Hopefully, the new owners will continue where Kristee left off, and finish restoring Maplecroft to the magnificent mansion she was when Emma and Lizzie lived there. I’m just thankful the new owners are not like Dube, who didn’t give a hoot about restoring that beautiful house!
mbhenty wrote:… (The photo above is of my truck as seen from inside Maplecroft's garage as I move the last of my things)….
When I first read your initial post in this thread, I thought the photo above had to have been taken from inside Maplecroft's garage, and I assumed the vehicle had to be yours. Thank you for confirming my thoughts! :grin:

BTW, how is Onsloe? (I’m sure he would NEVER have let Lizzie and Emma push you down the stairs! :lol: )

I agree, the quarter round Steam Heating cast iron Radiator, is eye candy for sure; they are much more attractive than the ones which are straight across.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Mara

Post by Mara »

What sadness! Although I'm but an infrequent visitor here, I have always found your posts to be fascinating and hope you will continue to write about Maplecroft along with other "Things Borden."

I've never seen a rounded corner radiator like that. It's really lovely. Let's hope you will continue to have a positive influence on the condition and care of the grand old home.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes everyone...

Did not intend to make my words evoke sadness. Let's hope that not too much damage is done to the image of the building and to the person of Maplecroft-Lizzie. (as apposed to 2nd street Lizzie) 92 was never a classy place. Maplecorft is. The property conjures tranquility and has a homey warmness. Just hate to see it trampled by the masses. Hope they keep the ghosts out.

Until then I have posted a couple of shots of the inside of the garage. I love old garages, attics, and cellars. You can learn a lot about a building when you study its bones.

The photos are mostly the back wall and the ceiling of the garage, which is all wainscoting. Very run down but very original. I especially love the old radiators. Steam. I suppose the pipes run underground between the garage and and the house.

The fire place was wainscoted over at some time. So you can't see it on the inside. Could have been done by Lizzie. At one time the garage must have been heated by a wood stove. When Lizzie put in the steam heating it was probably covered up with wainscoting. You can see it in the last photo just to the left of the standing pile of lumber and the gas pump. Must have been quite the place when Lizzie had built it. Sadly it is in serious disrepair. Desperately needs a new roof. It actually rains inside and water puddles on the floor.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

This is the wonderful stained-glass window found on the second level stairwell at Maplecroft.

It really needs to be taken out and restored. There are a couple of cracked tiles and some separation between the glass and the Lead Came in a couple of places. It is also somewhat concave or sunken. That is what the two rails running horizontally across the window are for. They are there to support the glass from moving. The lead Came on large stained-glass windows gets hot and soft in summer and with time the window will sink or become wavy. This Maplecorft stained-glass window is extremely drafty and repairs will in time have to be made.

Not a very nice picture of the window. But eye candy nonetheless.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

This is my favorite room on the third floor. Trudy's room, who was Lizzie's traveling companion. It sits in the south-east corner of the 3rd level, right above Lizzie's library.

I love little nooks and crannies, small rooms, isolated chambers with plenty of windows and southern exposure. Today's new homes are all about "open plans", and/or complete open floor space with extreme lack of walls, hallways, and doorways. It gives the illusion of a large home. Also saves the contractor all sorts of money for walls, moldings, doors, etc. I find such building boring. All devoid of charm and warmness. But it's what the masses are looking for today. Living room, kitchen, and dinning room all in the same space. Speaks to the mind set which is cultivated now days. No privacy. Everything is out there. Homes today are like one large Facebook living space.
Mara

Post by Mara »

These are wonderful photos! Thanks so much for sharing them. Surely gentle pressure can be brought to bear to save that window.
Susib

Post by Susib »

Thank you so much for posting those fantastic pictures ... How lucky you are :)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks Susib, thanks Mara.

Yes, I suppose I can say been there, done that. And that's a good thing.

Below is a portrait which I loved. It sits on the wall between the 2nd and 3rd floor. It is very heavy. I helped Kristee hang it and chose the location for the portrait, with her approval you understand. I had to make up an anchor to hold it safely on the old horse hair plaster wall. If memory serves me well, I believe it's Mary A. Borden. Mary was a teacher and lived at 92 Globe Street in Fall River with her sister, Ariadne, who was also a teacher. They were not directly related to Lizzie. Not that I know of. Of course all the Bordens in fall river were related one way or another. The portrait did not exist in the house when Lizzie was alive, instead it was acquired by Robert Dubious not long ago. When he sold the house to Kristee the painting stayed behind.

Mary appears very austere and serious in the portrait. Long gone her image survives and holds a special place on the walls of Maplecorft. In a way she lives on in the memory of strangers. Cool :!:

Click to make BIG!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Quick research here on Ms Mary A. Borden. She was principle teacher at the Slade School. She died in 1897. It is my guess that she and her sister never married. Her sister, Ariadne, died 12 years after Mary. Every time I went up the front stairwell to the 3rd floor at Maplecorft I would stop and gaze at Mary's portrait. Something attracted me to it. Almost like I knew who she was. Not an attractive gal... nothing alluring or enchanting about her... but her steely profile and image had a great appeal for me. Wish I could have purchased it.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Thanks for sharing these pictures, mbhenty so fascinating to see. So much seems to be lost when houses lose that nook and cranny design. There's nothing more peaceful than a place in a home where we can hide and recoup from the busy life we may live.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

You are welcome, patsy.

The first girl I ever kissed was named patsy. It was sometime in the 50s. I was 6 and she was 5. Shortly after her Mom came looking for her, since it was late in the day and she should have been home, picked her up by one arm and walloped her on the behind... all the way home. Bet you have never had that happen to you on your first date.

But regress :shock: :oops: :oops:

Now I have spoken to a couple of "people in the know" about Lizzie's fireplace in the bedroom over the back porch. Some know it as "Lizzie's summer bedroom." (personally, I don't think it was)

The fireplace is very uncommon when compared to the time period and the rest of the fireplaces in the house. It's a brick fireplace. Very arts and craft. Not Lizzie's style or does it fit into the rest of the building's decor. It is my guess that it was once covered with some sort of wood, with a fancy mantle piece similar the other fireplaces in the house. I may be wrong. Until then I will try to research it some more and see what I can uncover. But chances are the answer may never be discovered. Or perhaps I don't know as much as I think I do. Hmmmmm! :-? :-? :-? :oops:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's an interesting Youtube video. A tour of Maplecroft by the Herald News of fall river and just posted onto Youtube yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egMGA8Pvk94

A lot of assumptions are made.

One which I must dispute with is what the narrator describes as "Lizzie's Winter Bedroom." In reality there is no proof that Lizzie ever had a summer or winter bedroom. And the room that is described as Lizzie's Winter Bedroom was not a bedroom at all. It was the library. The granddaughter of Trudy Russel told the story of her grandmother Gertrude who had lived and traveled with Lizzie. Trudy had her bedroom in the South east corner of the Maplecroft and on the third floor right over the Library. This was the information given the Fall River Historical Society by Gerturde (Trudy) Russell's granddaughter.

Thus the room described in the video as Lizzie's Winter Bedroom was not a bedroom at all. Proof of this is that it has two glass swinging doors. It looks and functions more like a parlor or sitting room. It was in reality Lizzie's Library.

Thus misinformation is still filtering down, now from the new owners.

Further more, Lizzie's summer bedroom, the one over the porch, there's no proof that it was built as a summer bedroom. We don't know, and there is no proof or anything in writing which designated this room as a 'summer bedroom." The room over the porch was isolated. To get to it from the second floor you had to cross some perilous steps feeding the third floor. These steps were used by the help and led right into the kitchen below. There's a more likely scenario which would make this bedroom, Hannah Nelson's bedroom. On the servant's side of the house. Nonetheless, the issue is open to discussion, but to just declare that the room over the porch was Lizzie's bedroom may be a step beyond accuracy.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Hahaaa, MB, that would be quite a coincidence for sure.

As I watched the video I wondered how they knew which was a summer or winter bedroom. Thanks for the enlightenment, and I can see how it is plausible to believe in Trudy Russell's memory.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I discussed Lizzie's "summer bedroom" with other Borden scholars and no one seems the know where the story got started that Lizzie had a summer and winter bedroom. I went looking through my Borden library and this is what I found. The quote is by Author Frank Spiering.

Through the courtesy of Mary Silvia, who owned Maplecroft, I became the first writer allowed to see the inside of the home where Lizzie lived after her acquittal until her death. It was virtually unchanged, with the same white linen ceilings (except for the one in the second-floor summer room that was tin covered with goldleaf), chocolate wallpaper, stained-glass window and Lizzie's bedroom mantelpiece inscribed with the words "In-my-ain at-hame-countrie."

Spiering is very confusing here.

He appears to be describing Lizzie's bedroom but in doing so is describing 3 different rooms. The room with the "tin covered with gold leaf" is really the library. (He calls it the "summer room") The room with the stained glass window is a different room and the one with the mantelpiece is still another room. The room with the stained glass window and the one with the fireplace mantle are back to back with 2 large swinging doors between them. One was probably used by Lizzie as a bedroom and the other probably as a sitting area for the bedroom.

Below is a photo of the bedroom with the stained glass window.

The stained glass window was over the bed. It's no longer there. Robert Dube stole it and sold it. In the photo you can see one of the swinging glass doors which leads to the other room, the one with the fireplace mantle Spiering talks about.

It is my personal opinion that one of these two rooms was Lizzie's bedroom and the other a sitting room. And it is my guess that the doors which separate the two rooms were not there when Lizzie owned Maplecorft. You don't build a beautiful sweeping passage between two rooms then install glass doors. Look at the wood petition above the door. It looks like an afterthought. I'll have to research it further. There could have been a stained glass window between the two rooms, but I think this is unlikely. Chances are that the passage between the two rooms was at one time open.

So where the story about a Summer bedroom or Winter Bedroom came from is a mystery to me. And inquiring with the authors of Parallel Lives really did not advance my knowledge on the matter.
Catbooks

Post by Catbooks »

Thank you, MB, for sharing with us all your wonderful photos, memories of, and knowledge about Maplecroft!

I've wondered about the summer/winter bedrooms. Hadn't before heard of people having different bedrooms for summer and winter (providing they could afford a house large enough for that), had you? Maybe it is something people used to do. A bedroom away from the heat of the sun for summer, and on the sunny side for winter would make sense.

I had a question about that long wall of radiators in the garage or carriage house. Do you know why Lizzie had such elaborate heating put in there?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, Catbooks. You're welcome.

A garage with large glass windowed garage doors would be difficult to heat. Maplecroft's sliding garage doors would be difficult to seal. Large portions around the door were open to the elements. Thus, a huge heating system was needed.

Though I find no proof of it, I always thought that there were living quarters in the garage for someone (chauffeur?) since there was a working chimney or fireplace, though I could find no proof. Can't really prove if there was a working fireplace or just a chimney since it has been covered up. Judging by the size of the chimney tells me there was a fireplace. But heating for your car was certainly a luxury. I have worked in many old houses on the hill and found very few (if any that I can remember) with a steam heating system.

As for Lizzie's summer room? Not sure where that story came from. We are not sure, nor does anyone have any proof that there was a "summer bedroom."

It is my belief that the room over the porch was built for one of Lizzie's maids or more likely as a guest room. Remember, 92 had a guest room.

The bedroom over the porch at Maplecroft is separated from the rest of the house. On the second floor was a door separating that room from the remainder of the 2nd floor, which included Lizzie's and Emma's bedroom. That bedroom was shut off from the remainder of the 2nd floor and somewhat isolated. Very private. Not only that but once you leave that room to access the bathroom you had to cross the rear stairway, on some very unsafe, parlous, and uneven steps. Furthermore, if you were the house madam (Lizzie) this would mean running into or crossing paths with the servants as they came down the back stairwell from the third floor and to the kitchen. Not likely.

Another particular worth noting is the very plain fireplace. One hundred percent functional, zero percent appealing. A very plain naked brick fireplace.

I don't believe Lizzie had such a place as a "summer bedroom."

I believe the story is just folklore.

Adding validity to my supposition, in discussing the matter with the Fall River Historical Society, they cannot remember where the "summer bedroom" story came from and cannot supply any proof that the bedroom was used as "Lizzie's summer bedroom". We all agreed that the story is out there and it has taken on legs, but there is no undisputed proof written or verbal that Lizzie even had a summer bedroom, though it is pivotal to report that the bedroom over the porch is called the "summer bedroom" by the historical society in Parallel Lives. This being said they do agree that there is no proof.

I spent a lot of time in that room. I even removed a heater that was built into the wall and patched the wall with new shingles on the outside of the house. A bed was placed over the hole on the inside.

Of all the rooms in the house it was the one with the most vibes. I was spooked every time I walked into it. And I always had the feeling that someone was in there with me. When going into the house at night to make certain that everything was ok I never went into Lizzie's summer room or the third floor. But especially the summer room which chilled me.

No.

As far as I can tell, all signs point to that bedroom being supplemental sleeping quarters for visitors or even Lizzie's favorite servant. Think about it. If Nance was staying over, where would she sleep? On the third floor with the servants? In Lizzie's bedroom? No. Maplecroft needed a guest room. The room over the porch was a guest room... al least as far as this writer is concerned.

Though we can continue to call it Lizzie's summer bedroom. Just don't believe it.

:study: