Lizzie's Maplecroft sold again

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Lizzie's Maplecroft sold again

Post by mbhenty »

Maplecroft Has Been SOLD.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... s-for-600k

Obituary

1889 - 2018

After a short illness, Maplecroft of French Street died today February 1st 2018 at a bank closing in its native city of (f)all (r)iver, Massachusetts. (small ‘f’ small ‘r’ for the small minds that live there) Maplecroft was born as an opulent Queen Ann structure to gentleman Charles M. Allen in the year of our Lord 1889. In the early 1890s, it was happily adopted by sisters Lizbeth and Emma Borden, of the notorious Fall River Bordens, who nurtured the three-story building by lovingly adding a wonderful rear veranda, opulent front porch, and gracious garage. Maplecroft became famous. It was its best moment. Years later it was adopted yet again and remained a private residence for two watchful families who nurtured and cared for her.

Not long after Maplecroft was kidnapped and abducted by ruffian Rob-it Duebee, who abused, pillaged, and neglected the Victorian style structure until there was absolutely nothing left to give but cold greedy profit. Fortunately, Maplecroft was rescued and fell into the hands of a lovely lady named Kristee, who purchased all the best for the place, making it a genuine happy abode. But due to the mistreatment of Kristee’s passionate endeavors by the small minds and corrupt regressive racketeers that run the city of fall river, Maplecroft was once again put up for adoption. Tragically, due to the depraved thinking and the perpetual corrupt atmosphere that exists in a town full of anti-progressive leeches, Maplecorft lingered and died.

Sadly, Maplecorft’s sudden passing occurred at the tender age of 129 years, caused from an infectious disease called Speculative Entrepreneurism, and of a severe Corporate Stroke, when it was acquired by a spirit possessed B&B enterprise. Maplecorft will cease to be a home. Instead it will be diligently exploited, enslaved, and trampled by unscrupulous money changers and the bug-eyed common masses.

She will lose her archival chastity, its bygone innocence, and historical virtue, in exchange for carnival exploitation and the all mighty dollar. She will no longer be a home. It leaves behind factual authenticity and conventional if not legendary originality. It will never be the same. She will be missed. Can’t wait until they turn Maplecorft’s green, grassy yard into a black, hideous, tar paved parking lot. There goes the neighborhood.

mbhenty’
mbhenty

Re: Lizzie's Maplecroft sold again

Post by mbhenty »

Here is fall river's Herald News report on the sale of the house.

As is common with news print errors can be found. Why?

Because some people don't really know the truth and just repeat the inaccuracies they have adopted.

Example: This would be the first time Maplecroft was open to the public. Not true. Technically, it was not. 'robert dubious' had opened the place in the 90s as a B&B. They actually gave a tour. You can find the video on UTube.

So they are wrong there.

And to quote the paper:

Woods said she (Lizzie) had the first car in the neighborhood, around 1924.

It is believed that Lizzie purchased a car probably 12 or 13 years before that. She built her garage/carriage house in 1911. Also it is very doubtful that she was the first person in the neighborhood to purchase a car. Especially if she purchased it in 1924 as mentioned. Lizzie was surrounded by countless rich neighbors who were much richer then she was, such as the Barytones, Hoopers, Swifts, Jennings, and Shoves, to name a few.

And as mentioned in the paper, since when are you allowed to open a business because you have a good reputation? Well! This may be true. Remember this is fall river. Why would the new owner think he could get permission to open when Kristee Bates could not? Let me tell you why. Kristee didn't know how to play the game. Especially when an (ex) city planner told kristee that if she wanted to get permission to open as a B&B she would have to bake a lot of cookies. She was also told that she could make more money if she broke Maplecroft up for apartments. The the biggest stumbling block she had going against her was that she was a woman. This city pushed her around leading her like a horse with a dangled carrot.

One of the main reasons they gave kristee for why they could not give her a variance was because it would be spot zoning and that's against the rules in fall river. Yet a couple of years before they spot zoned and opened a hair salon business right across the street in a residential neighborhood. And they did it after the business opened without a permit or a variance. All you need is deep pockets and they had them.

Think that the new owners will have trouble getting a B&B license? Why would they spend 600,000 and not be certain? Believe me. It's already in their pocket.

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/20180202 ... rden-bampb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5p8-MO ... e=youtu.be
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

On a lighter note:

Onsloe, still in his nightshirt, got up early this morning and rushed to the window to wait for his new neighbors at Maplecroft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PattiG157

Post by PattiG157 »

Can anyone tell me what type of car Lizzie owned?
Patti M. Garner
Henderson, KY
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Lizbeth had two cars when she died; a 1923 Lincoln and a 1924 Buick. The 1923 Lincoln, went to her chief financial advisor, Charles Cook, and the 1924 Buick, went to her driver, Ernest Terry.

FYI: The cars shown below are not the actual cars that Lizbeth owned. I found these on the internet: The cream and black colored one is the 1923 Lincoln, and the green and black colored one is the 1924 Buick.

1923 Lincoln .jpg

1924 Buick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile: Yes:

Maplecroft is on the market as we speak.

There are two other houses in the neighborhood that compare with Maplecroft. One of them for just over one million.

The other is the Marshall house, just about three blocks from Maplecroft and nothing, compares to it, nothing when you consider its interior. There is no comparison between it and Maplecroft. It is for sale for the same price as Maplecroft and the only thing Maplecroft has over it is the 'Lizzie' name. They just don't compare. The Marshall house is unbelievable. Probably the most exquisite and majestic house in Fall River, once you consider the woodwork inside. Check it out and the photos included on the Realtor web site below. Just mouth-watering beauty. If I was in the market for an expensive property in Fall River this place would win hands down.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 8439-75715

:study:
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

The Marshall is exquisite! I'm actually surprised with the <$1mm price (seems low based on the photos and specs). Not much over $100 per sq. ft.
Is the neighborhood really nice?

The interior is breathtaking.....
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes: It is a nice neighborhood.

Rt6, better known as President Ave., is a very busy road and only about 150 feet away. Still relatively quiet.

Directly across the street is the 'Japanese House', which is on the National register of Historical places and one of the few houses, like Maplecorft, which was named. Rising Sun or House of the Rising Sun. It was designed by a well known American architect, Ralph Adams Cram, who was famous for designing Gothic Revival churches nation wide. Must have designed like 60 or 70 of them. He also designed the Boston Public Library and the Fall River Library. Right up there with Frank Lloyd Wright. Well, in any event, the Marshal house is right across the street.

Right next door was another nice house that just sold last year. I think for like 550,000. Right up there with the Marshall house but not as nice... but still much nicer than Maplecorft. You can see both houses in the Picture below.

Yes, it is a nice neighborhood.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 77#photo17

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2011/03/ ... -river-ma/
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile: Yes:

Here's that house next door to the Marshal house. I believe it is known as the Hudner House. Hows that for a front entrance, heh? :shock:

Rolie Polie

Post by Rolie Polie »

mbhenty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:28 pm :smile: Yes:

Maplecroft is on the market as we speak.

There are two other houses in the neighborhood that compare with Maplecroft. One of them for just over one million.

The other is the Marshall house, just about three blocks from Maplecroft and nothing, compares to it, nothing when you consider its interior. There is no comparison between it and Maplecroft. It is for sale for the same price as Maplecroft and the only thing Maplecroft has over it is the 'Lizzie' name. They just don't compare. The Marshall house is unbelievable. Probably the most exquisite and majestic house in Fall River, once you consider the woodwork inside. Check it out and the photos included on the Realtor web site below. Just mouth-watering beauty. If I was in the market for an expensive property in Fall River this place would win hands down.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 8439-75715

:study:

This house is quite grand. Some of these places render Lizbeth's positively modest.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Compared to many houses up on the hill Maplecroft was very modest... but on the "well-to-do" side.

I always wondered why she and her sister picked Maplecroft when she looked at much nicer homes.

One thing that's for sure, Charles Allen, the builder of Maplecroft, saw her coming. Lizzie and Emma paid premium for Maplecroft. If my memory and research service me well, about forty percent more than she should have. Especially since it was on the market for some time. Proof that Lizzie paid too much was proven when Allen built a much bigger granite home for like twenty-five percent less than what he sold Maplecroft for. I suppose number Seven French Street hit the sweet spot for the girls. And Lizzie must have loved the place. She spent her last days there.

(The Charles Allen House at 1766 Highland Ave. Fall River, Ma.)
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I'm surprised that Lizzie didn't live in several homes in different cities.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Rolie Polie

Post by Rolie Polie »

Fargo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:18 pm I'm surprised that Lizzie didn't live in several homes in different cities.
Indeed. She could have had access to some beautiful properties in Greenwich CT or Larchmont NY, or even the toney places in Manhattan, as those were up and coming places for the well-to-do at the time she was leaving 92 Second. Or Beacon Hill. I guess she was just a hometown girl.