Lizzie and Bridget- having an affair?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

snokkums

Lizzie and Bridget- having an affair?

Post by snokkums »

I am watching this movie on the cinema channel we get on Lizzie. This movie makes out like Lizzie and Bridget were friends. And there is one scene where they were making put. Is there any truth to the fact that Lizzie and Bridhet may have been friends and lovers? Thats what this movie seems to have depict ed
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
twinsrwe

Re: Lizzie and Bridget- having an affair?

Post by twinsrwe »

There is no documented proof that Lizzie and Bridget were ever lovers. It sounds as if you are referring to the newest Lizzie movie, titled, Lizzie.

Following is trailer of the newest Lizzie movie. Is this the movie you are speaking of, Robin?

http://tinyurl.com/yd7uzwmy
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

As my two cents, no... there is nothing documented, but why would there be? It's nothing a victorian woman would make public knowledge. It was considered a mental illness and was also a crime at the time. That of course, is no shot at you Twins. I absolutely respect your opinions and how you present them! It's just thr general "documentation" plp are so quick dismiss her with. As a lesbian woman, I had a terrible time coming out in the 1990s in the bible belt south. I can only imagine letting anyone know in that puritanical 1880s in Fall River. If she was a lesbian, that would be recognized in much more subtle ways.
To do list: Eat pears :color:
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Oh... and I realized I branched that out from the Bridget thing to orientation, but that's the umbrella point. Ha. I take off in my head on tangents and forget to look back sometimes. Ha.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I totally agree with, Becky. I was simply stating a fact; there is no documentation of Lizzie's sexual preference. So, please don't feel your comments offend me.

We are on this forum to discuss the Borden murders, so naturally we are not all going to have the same opinions, but that doesn't mean we can't respect what each other has to say; I respect your opinions and enjoy reading what you have to say.

Now, back to our discussion: Personally, I can't see Lizzie and Bridget being lovers. However, I think it is a good possibility Lizzie and Emma may have had a sexual relationship.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Well put, as usual, Twins! I totally agree. And you were stating a fact. I personally can see them in a relationship as plausible and it has 0 to do with the current movie and even less to do with McBain's book. If anyone is going to have no clue about a lesbian romance in the victorian era, it's a straight man in the 20th century admitting he only wrote it because "sex sales". Insulting. I think there is a chace they were in a relationship, but for other reasons.
BUT... we can get to that later. I want to hear about your ideas about a sexual relationship between the sisters, Twins. That's a way more intriguing theory to discuss, right now. I've heard the idea before, but never in much detail. :popcorneyes:
kwest919

Post by kwest919 »

Last night I watched the movie Lizzie with an open mind. While I didn't particularly care for it. It did bring up some questions and observations for me.
While personal friendships with staff was frowned upon I think it could be very plausible that Lizzie and Bridget might have had some type of mutual friendship/respect for each other. My point being, Lizzie prior to and after the murders could be perceived as haunty or snobbish, it seems to come out when she feels she is being looked down upon, meant to feel out of place, uncomfortable, slighted and ignored by others. We also know she was friendly and most probably to those in whose company she felt more comfortable in because she wasn't being judged for who her family was.
This happens even today. We see it all the time. Society hasn't really changed much in this aspect of life.
A good example of this is how friendly Lizzie was with her staff at Maplecroft. It seems that they were loyal to her and in turn she was friendly with them and treated them well. So I don't think a type of mutual friendship might have been out of the question for Lizzie and Bridget. Although if they did talk other then orders or instructions for a task given it would have had to have been out of Andrew and Abby's earshot. And if they did form a friendship how did it come about? A family member at that time didn't just come out and decide that they were going to be friends with a servant Did something happen in that house that brought these two women together in conversation?

From the trial transcripts I've read it seems to be that Bridget is nervous and trying to answer honestly but also trying to stay loyal to Lizzie. Could this just be out of obligation, because one didn't speak ill of and employer or out of a sort of friendship with Lizzie?
Then again.. if the friendship was strong then why would Bridget be dismissed? Who did the dismissing? We seem to think it was Lizzie, could it have really been Emma who did the firing?
And again... if the friendship was strong and meaningful to either of them, then why is there no correspondence heard of between them after Bridget left?

Questions with no actual answers.... make my brain hurt over thinking the possibilities. Thank you for this post.. interesting stuff to contempllate
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

I like your idea about how Lizzie was kind with Bridget / staff because she likely felt comfortable with them. I agree. She was very close with her staff at Maplecroft and I cant imagine things were any differnt with Bridget. At very least, Bridget was a girl close in age to Lizzie so becoming friends could be very natural in a setting where youre around someone every day. I think Lizzie was like most people, if you were nice to her, she was nice in return. If you're some entitled rich girl from up on the Hill who, just like women through all of time, possibly had some catty things to say, why be nice in return? Her personality was pretty bold at times. I relate. Its hard keeping a lid on it if you feel insulted.
When it comes to the trial, I believe they both tried to cover for each other. And I think, at least, it was out of a general affection. No one wants to see their friend hang. I think its, at most, because Bridget knew what happened that day because she was a part of it. I also noticed that a lot of times Bridget responded in a way that seemed questionable toward Lizzie, it was also some sort of statement to make sure she didn't look like a ill equipped maid. Like the pail of bloody rags, for instance. She said that hadnt been there four days because she did laundry 2 days before. As odd as it might seem to us, I think in that social climate where Irish were looked down on, in her mind her only worth, as well as her livelihood, was tied to her ability to be a capable / hirable maid. That day, I dont think Lizzie or Bridget ever dreamed it'd go to trial. I think they thought the police would ask questions, then go search for some mad man on the streets
kwest919

Re: Lizzie and Bridget- having an affair

Post by kwest919 »

interesting insights on Bridget and the pail of dirty linens/bloody rags.
Thing is.. when someone has very heavy periods.... you can go through a bucket of rags in two days if not less. And the bucket might not have been there when she did the laundry. But it's all in how others will perceive the situation. And like you said... one is in fear of not looking capable specially if they know they're gonna need to find a new position when this whole mess was over with.
I'm still on the fence on who actually did it. Both Lizzie and Bridget had the time and the opportunity to do so.. but I don't know. I'm still leaning that Emma and Uncle John had their hands in on this one some how. I just have a gut feeling.….
I'm more of the school... show me the actual evidence. I need to see it. Not hearsay and assumptions. They would have not wanted me on the jury. They would have been out a lot longer than 90 minutes.
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Good points. Oh Emma and Uncle John absolutely knew. I feel that Lizzie might have done it physically, but she was not alone in the plan. John's alibi is off the charts obvious. Also, fun fact, the jury actually decided to aquit in the 1st 10 minutes, but staid out longer to pretty much show respect for the gravity of such a decision.
kwest919

Post by kwest919 »

LABRhush, Thank you!!.. I didn't know that the jury had made the decision within the first 10 minutes then waited to announce it. WOW!

Emma and Uncle John.... wish we knew more about these two. They seem like they were close. Corresponding with each other.
Wonder what those letters contained. I think it was these two who were in cahoots with each other and Lizzie just happened to be the scape goat for them. Lizzie was starting to become difficult to control by this point not only for Andrew but possibly for Emma too.
The visit from Uncle John prior to August 3rd. Andrew was looking for someone to oversee the farm in Swansea. John offered to find someone for the job. Andrew wrote John a letter telling him to hold off. He needed to take care of some business first and to stop in when he was in town and they would discuss it.
Was it between the letter and his unexpected visit on August 3rd that John takes his niece Anne to see the farm in Swansea to have a look around so she would consider taking the position as the housekeeper for him?

I find it very odd that if he was told to hold on looking for someone that he would take Anne there to look around with the prospect of a position.

It keeps bringing me back to the conversations between John and Andrew during the August 3rd visit. We know they discussed business and John spoke to Andrew about why not purchasing Gould's boat. Why would he even suggest that? Even jokingly? I'm wondering if Andrew told John that he and Abby had decided to not pursue the plans for the Swansea farm. Which would have put John out of the picture if he thought he would be able to take over the running of it and place his niece there. Plans foiled.. Money lost.

My other thing is. If Lizzie was not acquitted would she still have inherited Andrew's money No because if she was found quilty she would have been hanged and EMMA would walk away with it all. Wouldn't she now.

I'm off to finish wrapping and stuff stockings before all the kids start wandering in. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Hope your holiday is grand. And Thank You for being my discussion partner here. Your insight and thoughts and perspectives are very much appreciated. Kwest
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

All interesting points, Kwest! I agree. I believe John and Emma both knew what was going on. How off the charts obvious is John's alibi that day??? And also, technically Emma was to inherit the estate as the eldest... if I remember correctly, (but of course she split it with her sister). Ive always thought of that little detail when plp insist Lizzie was some money hungry psycho. I wonder how the relationship was between John and the sisters after the aquittal. I believe I read that Lizzie refused to see him during her unfortunate incarceration awaiting trial. Hmmmmm....
misslynn

Post by misslynn »

Apparently there is good reason to believe that LIzzie may have been a lesbian. Aside from the fact that she never had any male suitors, before or after the murders, her lawyers journal makes mention of a complaint made a few years after the acquittal, regarding Lizzie and another man's wife engaging in a lesbian affair.

https://throughtheeyeofapegasus.wordpre ... published/
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Well if Abbey caught them in bed together, that would definitely be a Motive.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Yes, actually there are quite a few things to suggest it when you string them together.... coming from s takes one to know one kinda girl like myself. There are several things I looked at differently than the average person might. A handful of things about Lizbeth resonated w me.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

misslynn wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:24 am Apparently there is good reason to believe that LIzzie may have been a lesbian. Aside from the fact that she never had any male suitors, before or after the murders, her lawyers journal makes mention of a complaint made a few years after the acquittal, regarding Lizzie and another man's wife engaging in a lesbian affair.

https://throughtheeyeofapegasus.wordpre ... published/
Hello misslynn, welcome to the forum.

When I first read your post, I was intrigued. However, it didn’t take long after I started to read the article in the link you provided, that I knew the article was not only poorly written, it was very inaccurate. I’ll give you a few examples (Highlighting and underlining are mine.):

THE CONSERVATION OF THE JENNING’S JOURNAL is good news to all people interested in the local history of Falls City, New England and the murder case. ...

And

… There was another incident embarrassing to Lizzie who never moved away from Fall City. …

Falls City is the name of several places:

United States

• Falls City, Nebraska
• Falls City, Oregon
• Falls City, Texas
• Falls City, Wisconsin
• Louisville, Kentucky, nicknamed "Falls City" because it is situated at the Falls of the Ohio River.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/yy4gsu7b

Hmmm, no Falls City, New England! :shock:

The fact that Lizzie Borden lived in Fall River, MA., is basic information in the Borden Murders.

------------------------------------------------
Andrew came home a bit early that day because he was not feeling well. Upon arrival Andrew is surprised he cannot enter his house, it’s locked. After awhile Lizzie opens the door.

It was Bridget who unlocked and opened the door for Andrew.

-----------------------------
MUCH OF THE FUSS in the family sprung from Andrew Borden’s marriage to Abby McDuffy.

Andrew J. Borden married Abby Durfee Gray.

----------------------------------------------
It could not have been easy for Abby Borden to be a new mother to these girls and there was a big difference in age between her and Andrew.

Andrew was born on September 13, 1822
Abby was born on January 21, 1828

There was 5 years and 4 months difference in their ages. That is not ‘a big difference’.

--------------------------
She had the following lines inscribed on the mantle of her house at French Street. It has the following lines:
“The Green Leaf of Loyalty’s beginning to fall
The Bonnie white Rose it is withering an’ all
But I’ll water it with the Blood of usurping tyranny
And green it will grow in my ain countree”

OMG, this is totally wrong! The full carving in Lizzie’s library mantel at Maplecroft is: At Hame in My Ain Countrie

Here is an article that Denise Noe wrote for The Hatchet A Journal of Lizzie Borden & Victorian America. (It shows the mantel carving): http://tinyurl.com/y2fx4k7h

----------
… Only a few years after acquittal a judge received a letter from a married man accusing his wife of lesbianism and Lizzie’s name was mentioned as evidence from a correspondence. The judge dismissed the accusation as frivolous.

What judge?
Who is the married man?

I read through all of the sources listed at the bottom of that article, and this information is NOT in any of them. Made up info? I think so. Furthermore, I think we should all take heed of the last sentence, as it says it all.

Definition of take heed of: to pay attention to

Source: http://tinyurl.com/y54s65ju
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Misslynn, I hope my post does not offend you or discourage you from submitting other posts. So much of the information that was written in the article you provided a link to, made my head spin! :compress: I had to point out some of the blatant errors.
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Yes! You'll find Twins is always above board fair! I have an entirely diff source on that allegation. (Of course now I have to go track it down.... )As for the rest, not sure how someone could mess up an article that badly. I hadn't had time to check the link. Now I guess it's a must read. Welcome to the forum misslynn! The more the merrier 😁😁
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

LABRhush wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:21 am Yes! You'll find Twins is always above board fair! I have an entirely diff source on that allegation. (Of course now I have to go track it down.... )As for the rest, not sure how someone could mess up an article that badly. I hadn't had time to check the link. Now I guess it's a must read. Welcome to the forum misslynn! The more the merrier 😁😁
Thanks for the compliment, LAB. I appreciate it. :grin:

I hope you are able to find your source for that allegation; you really have my curiosity up now.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the article in the link that Misslynn provided us with.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

LABRhush wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 am Yes, actually there are quite a few things to suggest it when you string them together.... coming from s takes one to know one kinda girl like myself. There are several things I looked at differently than the average person might. A handful of things about Lizbeth resonated w me.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

I must apologize, LAB, I was going to submit the reasons I think Emma and Lizzie may had a sexual relationship. :oops:
I will work on getting that information ready and submitted.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

No problem, Twins! You know I enjoy your thoughts 😁 I will definitely track down the book I read the allegation in. It named the judge and the county court, I'm pretty sure. IF I'm remembering correctly. I feel like if it did happen, $ makes a lot of things go away... then and now. Ha. But yes, I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on the relationship between the sisters. That's bound to be interesting :popcorneyes:
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

As far as things strung together... a while back I compiled a list, just for myself, of things that made me feel strongly. A lot of things by themselves are dismissed, but put together start to paint a picture. At least for me. I'll see if I can locate my list. Ha... I promise I have somewhat of an organizational system for my book, but it follows scene and structure more than buried pages and highlighted passages! My walls are covered in so many Lizzie related pics, crime scene photos, blue prints, ect.... if just one person goes missing in my neighborhood, I'm suspect #1. Ha. I promise it's only book research, officer! 😂🤓
Shani1968

Post by Shani1968 »

I also saw the latest movie about Lizzie, it definitely painted a different picture. I have always heard that is was speculated that Lizzie was a lesbian and rumored to have had a affair with Nance O'Neil. However of course, no proof. I never thought of her having an affair with Bridget especially since she was a servant and Irish. In that time period the Irish were treated as second class citizens, they even called her "Maggie" which was an ethnic slur for an Irish maid. It was disturbing that they also had Andrew molesting Bridget, that has never been speculated but I am sure during that time it was common. And of course a young immigrant girl would have no say in the matter, very sad. But I don't think that was the case in the Borden house. I have also read several times of the possibility Andrew may have molested Lizzie, again no proof.
I feel the Legend of Lizzie Borden starring Elizabeth Montgomery was a more accurate account of the real situation. The movie with Christina Ricci was way out there..... One thing I notice about all the movies is they never have the exterior and interior of the Borden house right. The scenes from Legend of Lizzie Borden are more accurate but the exterior totally off. I don't get it? Especially with all the photos of the house available since the crimes in 1892. I am so happy I actually was able to tour the home in 2001. I hope to also go in Maplecroft someday! Been outside but would love the inside even more.
The Glam Fairy, bringing the sparkle to life :razz: :sunny:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Shani1968 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:14 pm ... I hope to also go in Maplecroft someday! Been outside but would love the inside even more.
Hello, Shani1968, welcome to the forum.

I think you may enjoy the following video, which shows several of the rooms inside Maplecroft, and they are absolutely beautiful! Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/y3a3qzbq
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Hi Shani! It's a good point.... why does Hollywood never replicate the house with sets? Hmmm. Im pretty certain one reason, I'm sure there are many, that no one uses the actual house is because it doesn't provide the dimensions needed to get through filming. Well, beyond ghost show walk throughs. Ha. As far as 'Maggie' or 'Bridget' being a slur, it depends what source you read as far as which name is offensive. I've read it both ways. IMHO I don't think Maggie's station would necessarly push Lizzie away. One, if it were true... and who knows, you dont really pick who you fall in love with. Attraction and chemistry are there, or theyre not. And Nance was an actress, not a favorable reputation came along with that, as far as some victorians were concerned. That didn't slow Liz down one bit from letting, at very least, rumors fly. And she was reportedly very kind and generous to her staff at Maplecroft. I believe they became a bit of family for her. Of course so many things about Lizzie are up for interpretation. I've also stayed at the house a couple times. Had such a fun time! I love making Lizzie friends, thus this forum. All the different view points keep things interesting! And so many plp here, major example Twins, are so helpful with research. Welcome to the forum, Shani! 🤓
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Wow, thanks for the compliment, LAB! :grin: I do enjoy doing research on Lizzie and the Borden murders.

Shani: I also feel The Legend of Lizzie Borden starring Elizabeth Montgomery was by far the best movie ever made about the Borden murders. Do you know that Elizabeth Montgomery and Lizzie Borden were sixth cousins, once removed, both descending from John Luther?

Sources: http://tinyurl.com/y4xwaryn - http://tinyurl.com/alcou66

Something that I noticed in all of the movies that I have seen on this case is, none of them had Uncle John in them. :shock:
Last edited by twinsrwe on Wed May 20, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shani1968

Post by Shani1968 »

LABRhush wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:25 pm Hi Shani! It's a good point.... why does Hollywood never replicate the house with sets? Hmmm. Im pretty certain one reason, I'm sure there are many, that no one uses the actual house is because it doesn't provide the dimensions needed to get through filming. Well, beyond ghost show walk throughs. Ha. As far as 'Maggie' or 'Bridget' being a slur, it depends what source you read as far as which name is offensive. I've read it both ways. IMHO I don't think Maggie's station would necessarly push Lizzie away. One, if it were true... and who knows, you dont really pick who you fall in love with. Attraction and chemistry are there, or theyre not. And Nance was an actress, not a favorable reputation came along with that, as far as some victorians were concerned. That didn't slow Liz down one bit from letting, at very least, rumors fly. And she was reportedly very kind and generous to her staff at Maplecroft. I believe they became a bit of family for her. Of course so many things about Lizzie are up for interpretation. I've also stayed at the house a couple times. Had such a fun time! I love making Lizzie friends, thus this forum. All the different view points keep things interesting! And so many plp here, major example Twins, are so helpful with research. Welcome to the forum, Shani! 🤓
Hi, thank you for the welcome and feedback. Happy to meet fellow Lizzie enthusiasts. I would love to hear about your stays at the Borden home. I have just been on tour. My goal is to go stay someday, although I probably won't sleep :roll: :shock:
Shani1968

Post by Shani1968 »

twinsrwe wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 pm Wow, thanks for the compliment, LAB! :grin: I do enjoy doing research on Lizzie and the Borden murders.

Shani: I also feel The Legend of Lizzie Borden starring Elizabeth Montgomery was by far the best movie ever made about the Borden murders. Do you know that Elizabeth Montgomery and Lizzie Borden were sixth cousins, once removed, both descending from John Luther?

Sources: http://tinyurl.com/yd62zzld - http://tinyurl.com/y4xwaryn - http://tinyurl.com/alcou66

Something that I noticed in all of the movies that I have seen on this case is, none of them had Uncle John in them. :shock:
I also noticed and wondered why they didn't include Uncle John, the newest movie "Lizzie" does but in a different light. Which I am not sure I believed accurate. I did here Elizabeth Montgomery was distantly related. I also like that fact they had one of the dresses Elizabeth Montgomery wore in the movie on display in the Borden house. Actually in the room Abby was killed in. I need to go back!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Shani1968 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 pm...
I also noticed and wondered why they didn't include Uncle John, the newest movie "Lizzie" does but in a different light. Which I am not sure I believed accurate. I did here Elizabeth Montgomery was distantly related. I also like that fact they had one of the dresses Elizabeth Montgomery wore in the movie on display in the Borden house. Actually in the room Abby was killed in. I need to go back!
I have not seen the newest movie "Lizzie", and I highly doubt that I will, not unless it happens to show up on TV. So, perhaps my asking the next question is out of line because of that, but I am going to ask it anyway. How was Uncle John shown in a different light?

I have not been to the house on Second Street, but I would really like to do so one of these days. However, I have read that one of the dresses that Elizabeth Montgomery wore in the movie, The Legend of Lizzie Borden, is on display at the B&B. This is the dress, isn't it?

lizzie-borden-house-elizabeth-montgomery-dress-blog.jpg

If this is the guest bedroom where Abby was killed, then I am surprised that the room is so well light with sunlight, or am I wrong about that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shani1968

Post by Shani1968 »

twinsrwe wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm
Shani1968 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 pm...
I have not seen the newest movie "Lizzie", and I highly doubt that I will, not unless it happens to show up on TV. So, perhaps my asking the next question is out of line because of that, but I am going to ask it anyway. How was Uncle John shown in a different light?

I have not been to the house on Second Street, but I would really like to do so one of these days. However, I have read that one of the dresses that Elizabeth Montgomery wore in the movie, The Legend of Lizzie Borden, is on display at the B&B. This is the dress, isn't it?

lizzie-borden-house-elizabeth-montgomery-dress-blog.jpg

If this is the guest bedroom where Abby was killed, then I am surprised that the room is so well light with sunlight, or am I wrong about that?
The room where Abby was killed has 3 big windows, NW corner of the house. Lots of light. Yes the green dress in the picture is the one Elizabeth Montgomery wore in the movie.
They made it seem as if Uncle John was a criminal/con man and Lizzie hated him. I have never read anything like that about him. I've also read his visit was planned and/or unplanned. He was apparently helping Andrew find someone to help with the Swansea farm from what I read. The movie portrayed him having something to do with Andrew planning his will. He also tried blackmailing Lizzie in the current movie. It definitely had some different twists.
I've been by the outside of the house several times once before it was a B&B. I got to tour it in 2001. I would love to go back and stay the night!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Shani1968 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:17 pm ...
The room where Abby was killed has 3 big windows, NW corner of the house. Lots of light. Yes the green dress in the picture is the one Elizabeth Montgomery wore in the movie.
They made it seem as if Uncle John was a criminal/con man and Lizzie hated him. I have never read anything like that about him. I've also read his visit was planned and/or unplanned. He was apparently helping Andrew find someone to help with the Swansea farm from what I read. The movie portrayed him having something to do with Andrew planning his will. He also tried blackmailing Lizzie in the current movie. It definitely had some different twists.
I've been by the outside of the house several times once before it was a B&B. I got to tour it in 2001. I would love to go back and stay the night!
Thank you for filling me in on the natural lighting in the guest bedroom, as well as confirming that the green dress in the picture is the one Elizabeth wore in the movie.

I wonder how they came up with Uncle John being a criminal/con man? He was a friend and confident to Andrew, and he was in Fall River on August the 3rd at Andrews request. The last question in the following partial testimony clarifies the planned and/or unplanned visit.

Many people believe the visit from John Morse had to do with Andrew planning his will, but according to the following testimony, that is not so.

Inquest Testimony of John V. Morse, being questioned by Mr. Knowlton, starting on page 98 (5):

Q. You do not think you had written announcing your visit at this time?
A. I don’t think I did. Let me see, let me tell it as I can think of it. Mr. Borden, when I was over here sometime in July, that I speak of, wanted to know if I knew of a man he could get on his farm, to take charge of it, I told him I did not know, I would see. When I got back I wrote him I knew of a man I thought would suit him, I would send him over. He wrote back to me he had rather I would wait until I saw him. I have his letter in my pocket, if you want to see it.

Q. What was the date of that letter? You may refresh your memory. If you have no objections, I will see it. (Witness produces the letter dated July 25, 1892.)
Q. Have you any objection to me keeping this?
A. No Sir, I would not like it lost, because it was the last one I ever had from him.

Q. That, then, was the last correspondence before you came over?
A. That is the last.

Q. You did not write him you were coming?
A. No Sir.

Q. You came partially in pursuance of that request.
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Was that about ten days before you came?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. So they were not expecting you that particular day, but were looking for you at any time?
A. Yes Sir.

Source: https://lizzieandrewborden.com/wp-conte ... ay2003.pdf

As for Lizzie hating her Uncle John; they could have got that impression from when Lizzie had arrived home after visiting Alice Russell on the evening of the 3rd, and did not stop to speak to her uncle, before going up to her room. I have not heard of Uncle John blackmailing Lizzie; I see what you mean about the movie having some different twists.

I envy you for having driven by the house and touring it. What room would you like to stay in if and when you go to stay the night?
If I ever get the chance, I would defiantly like to stay in Bridget’s room.
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

The movie did have twists and turns! Ha. I just thought of it like Titanic. When you see the movie, ya know the boats going to sink. Its all the character development that pulls you in. I stayed in Lizzie's room my first stay, then Emma's my second (only because it was Lizzie's when she was younger). I had a blast both times! So historically amazing to be in the actual house. ❤
isn'tthat special1

Post by isn'tthat special1 »

Sorry folks, but there is no evidence that my wife and I carry on relations either, but of course does. I love when history says there was no evidence of this, or of that. Well, in the case of whether there was an affair between Lizzie and Bridget, what evidence does one think would have existed? Neither is going to talk about it to anyone else. You would have been sure not to get caught, choosing times wisely. I mean, a very religious family, and a daughter being gay, for that time, you would have kept it under wraps completely!! All that being said......do I believe they did, no. I do not believe they had an affair. Why would Lizzie call her Maggie? if they were involved romantically. That doesn't make any sense. If either Abby or Andrew had caught them, just fire Bridget!!! problem solved... Why would Bridget be sent off to Ireland after trial? Never to communicate again with Lizzie? That doesn't add up folks. Those movies and such, like to glamorize things, its about ratings and all shows, movies these days, put in gay affairs because it sells....but I say they didn't.