You are suddenly back in time - August 4,1892 - 7:AM - on Second Street - what do you do ?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Steve88778

You are suddenly back in time - August 4,1892 - 7:AM - on Second Street - what do you do ?

Post by Steve88778 »

:birthdaysmile:
Last edited by Steve88778 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kat

Re: You are suddenly back in time - August 4,1892 - 7:AM - on Second Street - what do you do ?

Post by Kat »

Am I a family member visiting? Am I a ghost with foreknowledge? It depends...am I Lizzie?
If I'm Lizzie, I'm going to sleep until 10 a.m. I guess I'd have to wrap the pillow around my head to shut out the bumping noise coming from the guest room...darn Morse!
patsy

Re: You are suddenly back in time - August 4,1892 - 7:AM - on Second Street - what do you do ?

Post by patsy »

I would send Abby a note with hope that this time she'd be able to act upon it before . . .
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

Last edited by Steve88778 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

Last edited by Steve88778 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Knock on the front door and when Bridget answers tell her what Lizzie is planning. Then head to wherever I can find Mr. Borden and warn him.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Writing Abbie a note is a great idea!
But if I am me, I sleep late...like Lizzie usually does. So I would try to sleep thru the noise.
If I am awake and up, and knew by 7 am something was going to happen I would tell everybody and I'd keep Andrew's big stick about me, too!
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Kat, I like your sleep in approach. Around 9am, I'd grab a beach chair, mosey over to the Borden's, find a good spot under the pear tree, kick back and take it all in.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

I’d knock on the front door, quietly but persistently, so as Lizzie could not hear upstairs. I would explain I was a member of one of Lizzie’s committees from church who had urgent, concerning news of Lizzie, and insist Andrew, Abby and Morse immediately accompany me to Dr. Bowen’s, vowing Bridget to cover should Lizzie wake…

There I would tell a series of lies. They would be necessary to convince the old folks so they could act in time…and remove Lizzie as a threat forever.

I’d say I had seen Lizzie at the drugstore the day before, attempting to buy a poison I’d read was fatal in tiny doses. I’d say I had gone to visit Alice the night before but hadn’t rung the bell when I heard she already had company.

I had not been able to help but overhear Lizzie, trying to make Alice believe the Bordens were under threat, telling of a hatchet she’d just bought for self-protection from “Father’s enemies.” Alice had assumed Lizzie was being histrionic and did not take her seriously, but I’d hidden in the bushes outside the door, terrified at Lizzie’s dooming tone. Finally, I’d heard the horrifying muttering as Lizzie left the house: “Foolish, stupid Alice, she’ll see—they’ll all see—by dinner tomorrow Father and Mrs. Borden will be killed! And I will be free!”

I would tell them I’d hurried home but been unable to sleep for my growing fear. Then I would tell all the young women in church had told me of Lizzie’s peculiarities—her ugliness behind other’s backs—her wretched complaints of her house and parents. Finally, I would tell how some of us had heard her laugh weirdly behind the church last week, and rounded the corner to see her strangling a cat.

You must act in haste to save your lives, I’d warn. Dr. Bowen, draw up the commitment papers! Mr. and Mrs. Borden, sign quickly. Mr. Morse, set her a trap. To The Taunton Asylum she must go, to protect you all—please!

I believe this would have a good chance at getting even Andrew to take action…
Last edited by Reasonwhy on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

Careful, if you say too much that means you know too much - and why do you know anything ?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Reasonwhy, I know you to be sincere, but it sounds like you've been stalking Lizzie!🙀
Here's your book 📕 : I think you are ready to write!
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat, you are fun and very sweet 😊
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

camgarsky4 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:47 pm Kat, I like your sleep in approach. Around 9am, I'd grab a beach chair, mosey over to the Borden's, find a good spot under the pear tree, kick back and take it all in.
Camgarsky, where is your sense of civic duty? 🤣
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I even disappointed myself with that callous comment. 🥴

Reason, did u read the Charles cook article. I love your perspectives on the case and I view Charles cook as a linchpin for the prosecution that ended up falling apart.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Yes; I had before—and I agree! Will post on it soon. And I’m waiting to read your own speculation on whether the poverty-stricken elder Bordens will survive or not 😉 I get a great kick out of your postings, too: they’re extremely well-written analyses, and just different enough from my own musings to spur my thoughts. Thank you for all you have contributed to the forum. Your writings were one of the main reasons I became active. And I’ve been curious (of course, no need to answer if you’d prefer not to): Are you planning to write a book on this case?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I do believe the poverty-stricken version would have lived beyond August 4. But you guys are such a challenging audience, I want to carefully craft the post and I am currently helping care for a very sick relative.

As soon as the home front chills a bit....I will post it soon. :grin:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Very sorry to hear you have a loved one ill, Camgarsky. Write when ready; we’re here.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Camgarsky I second the sentiment. I just went through that and that person needs a friend and you are doing a good thing. Like your comments but when you can...
dragonqueen

Post by dragonqueen »

Knock on the Bordens door. When Sullivan opens I’ll warn her that there is going to be a gruesome incident in the home, she will trust me as I am a family member.
Then I’ll tell them all to get out if they’re and don’t come back. Hopefully I have prevented the crime.
I’m knew here by the way.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

I'm sorry to hear you have a relative sick, Camgarsky. Good of you to care for them. My prayers go to you all.

As for the Bordens, I forget the timeline a bit but I think there is time to warn the Borden's of the danger to them. I think I might try. Meanwhile, whether I will be believed is another thing.

Should I knock Lizzie out? Hide all the hatchets in the house. Administer a sleeping pill to her in a drink?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Hi and welcome to the forum, Dragonqueen!!

Beowulf -- my post on my sick relative was from over a year and half ago!! I clearly owe this thread a post. :grin:

The relative was my grandmother and she passed away in Spring '22....little more than a year ago. We miss her dearly.

Back to the 'past due' post. I think if Andrew Borden was poor, marriage would have been a focus for the sisters and they would likely no longer reside at home with AJB and Abby. At that point in history, marriage was often an economic necessity for survival.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Beowulf, so happy you are back!!! 😀
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

And yes, welcome, dragonqueen!
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Reasonwhy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:57 am Beowulf, so happy you are back!!! 😀

:smile: