What does Maplecroft stand for ?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Steve88778

What does Maplecroft stand for ?

Post by Steve88778 »

Was it just a word or some words that were buzzing around Lizzie Borden's head ? And any thought why she would have that name carved on the stone step at her new home.
Kat

Re: What does Maplecroft stand for ?

Post by Kat »

I guess this is where I give that most dreaded statement: "we've already talked about this"...?
Anyway, I have read here folks don't like that answer, and I don't usually give it,but I did find a topic that I recall vaguely. If you decide to go there, Shelley mentions Oaks in Oak Grove and Maples on the French Street property...and on an earlier topic it was opined there was a rage to name homes in Scotland and both Borden ladies seemed smitten with that country...
Plz clickonpic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PossumPie

Post by PossumPie »

In the late 1880s, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was publishing his famous Sherlock Holmes stories in magazines. These were all the rage and he later gathered the stories together into books. Perhaps Lizzie read about "Mycroft" Holmes, Sherlock's brother, and thought it a jolly joke to twist the name of the brother of a world-famous detective and use it as a home name. Mycroft-Maplecroft. They loved all things Scottish and Conan Doyle was Scottish... :wink:
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

In the late 1880s, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was publishing his famous Sherlock Holmes stories in magazines. These were all the rage and he later gathered the stories together into books.
Sounds reasonable and it does make sense. Thanks
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Visiting Scotland, and the naming of homes could indeed have been an influence on Lizzie.

The naming of buildings was made popular in England, in the seventeenth century. Well-to-do Englishman had country homes or manors... estates. This was before they had street addresses and such places became known by family names, pet appellations, or after the countryside or surroundings where they were built. This custom carried over to the States. Many plantations in the south were known by their family or given names. Places such as Pebble Hill, Oak Alley, Belle Meade, and Nottoway, to name a few plantations with historical significance. Up north all one need do is drive down mansion row on Bellevue Ave in Newport, R.I. There one would find such places as, The Breakers, Rosecliff, Marblehouse, and many others. etc.

In Fall River I know of four named homes. Maplecorft, Open Bay, The Mooring, and I think the last one was named Seaview. (not certain about that one). All these homes were situated about two blocks from Maplecroft. Lizzie would be well familiar with the Mooring, which was built in 1896 less than two block from Maplecroft and by a man named Andrew Borden, but who was not her father, of course.

But Lizzie would be well acquainted with the naming of a home. As was suggested, of her trip to Scotland.

More than likely Lizzie could have been influenced by her friends, some who also named their homes. The Holmes family who were real close friends with Lizzie. Emma use to spend time at the Holmes summer place in Rochester Massachusetts. The Holmes family had named their abode Holmlands. And then there was the Gardner Family of Swansea and their home just across from the Borden property farm on the Coles river, named River-by.

So naming Maplecroft would be second nature for Lizzie who always wanted her mansion on the hill.

Even my home has a name. The Emily White House. Of course I'm the one that named it since I'm the one that built it. :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention in the post above. Andrew Borden who built The Mooring, was a pall-bearer at Andrew Borden's funeral, Lizzie's father.

All three homes below were built before Lizzie named here's in 1909. (Maplecorft). When they all got their names is not known. What is assured is that Lizzie would be familiar with them, especially the The Mooring. The idea could have come from them.

Below, in order starting at the top, is Seaview, Open Bay, and The Mooring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Talking about named homes.

Here are two. One belongs to George Washington Vanderbilt and the other to his little brother Cornelius.

The Breakers and Biltmore.

Biltmore was built for George Vanderbilt and it's the biggest home ever built in America, me believes. It is the first photo you come to below.

Now Lizzie would feel right at home in one of these.

But let's put it into perspective here. When considering square footage, you can fit 43 Maplecrofts into Biltmore.

As I have always claimed. Maplecroft was just a large home and not a mansion.