The Note

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

The Note

Post by camgarsky4 »

The reasons for the note 'story' by Lizzie seem pretty clear. With a presumed backdrop that Lizzie was the culprit and was planning to send Bridget shopping in the afternoon.

* Lizzie needed to give Andrew a believable reason for why Abby would not be home for the noon meal even though she was the 'lady of the house'.
Saying she went to market for the meal ingredients or is randomly roaming Fall River probably wouldn't work for different reasons.
* Visiting a sick friend would indicate that Abby might be out for a relatively lengthy period and the return time would be murky.
* At that time, hired messenger/telegram boys were a means of communication within a community and it seems reasonable that a hired messenger
would be given a written message to deliver and not asked to verbalize the message.
PossumPie

Re: The Note

Post by PossumPie »

LIZZIE'S INQUEST
A. She told me she had had a note, somebody was sick, and said "I am going to get the dinner on
the way,"
and asked me what I wanted for dinner.
Q. Did you tell her?
A. Yes, I told her I did not want anything.

The note story was not well thought through.
1. a note could be traced to the sender. In such a notable case, the "sick friend" would surely come forward (or their neighbor, kids, friends) Everyone in Fall River knew of this infamous "sick friend" story yet nobody came forward.
2. A note would be asked for-which Lizzie can only say she assumes it was burned.
3. The note story included a statement by Lizzie that Mrs. Borden was bringing home lunch. If such was the case, she would have told Bridget so she didn't start preparing lunch before Abbey's return. Abbey did not tell Bridget anything about lunch.

Whether Lizzie is innocent or guilty for some reason the note story appears completely fabricated without a shred of evidence to support it.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Reasonwhy

Re: The Note

Post by Reasonwhy »

Possum Pie, partial post:
“….Abbey did not tell Bridget anything about lunch…..”

Wait, Possum, remember we settled this?
I posted trial testimony of Bridget’s that Mrs.B customarily directed Bridget on what to serve; then Camgarsky posted this direct answer from the Preliminary Hearing:

“Re: Another Uncle John question
Report Quote
Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:42 am

Abby did give Bridget lunch instructions.......(preliminary hearing pg 57)
Q. What did you have for breakfast?
A. Was this Wednesday?
Q. No, Thursday morning.
A. Mrs. Borden came down directly, before I had anything under way; she asked me what did I have for breakfast. I told her. She said John was in the house. I says is that so? I says, did he sleep in the attic. She said no, he slept in the front chamber. I told her there was nothing, sure, but soup and cold mutton. She said she thought they would have that for dinner. She says there will be plenty for dinner too. She told me to warm it over, and make johnny cakes, and have coffee.
Q. You had the mutton stew or soup, of which you thought there would be enough for dinner?
A. Yes Sir.”

Possum, I appreciate all of the science, and cited material you bring to your always interesting posts, and you help make this forum lean toward the logical, which keeps us on a steady keel. So easy for us to occasionally forget nuances of testimony!