Fun with %'s

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

Re: Fun with %'s

Post by camgarsky4 »

I like it!

If Lizzie had something secured in the lounge, we just need to think thru how she anticipated or avoided it being found during the surprise Saturday morning (during funeral) police search of her bedroom. I don't think we've talked thru how and why the police conducted that search. Was someone a snitch and mentioned that Lizzie sure was attached to and sensitive about that lounge!!
PossumPie

Post by PossumPie »

camgarsky4 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:24 am I like it!

If Lizzie had something secured in the lounge, we just need to think thru how she anticipated or avoided it being found during the surprise Saturday morning (during funeral) police search of her bedroom. I don't think we've talked thru how and why the police conducted that search. Was someone a snitch and mentioned that Lizzie sure was attached to and sensitive about that lounge!!
Great point, Camgarsky I agree she seemed quite attracted to the lounge. We had a discussion several years ago when a few posters believed Lizzie innocent in part because they thought it "impossible" to hide a dress and hatchet in a house. I tried to point out to them that there are many places someone could hide a dress and hatchet (The upholstery of a couch, a loose floorboard, etc.) but some people think that police are superhumans who always find what they are looking for.
My brother-in-law and nephew are cops and basically, they find drugs/weapons because of the stupidity of the criminals not because of a good search. Stupid criminals hide drugs/weapons in obvious places like toilet tanks, freezers, etc. First places the police will look.
If a loose floorboard in her bedroom was lifted up and both dress/hatchet were placed in there would the police find them? Absolutely not, no matter how long the search. They didn't tear the house and furniture apart. I don't know what happened to them, but it doesn't prove her innocence simply becasue the police didn't find them. Lizzie could have reached under the lounge, pulled out a corner upholstery tack, dropped the lining edge down, pushed a hatchet wrapped in a dress up in the lining, and pushed the tack back in. Even if the police looked under the lounge, moved it, etc. they wouldn't have found the items.
During WW II The Ten Boom family hid 6 jews in a secret room in their house in Holland. The Gestapo KNEW that they were there but couldn't find them... 6 adults! They smashed holes in walls, overturned furniture but found not one jew. They stationed guards outside for a week to starve them out but they managed to escape across the roof during the night and all were safe. If a family could hide 6 Jewish adults from a search, Lizzie could hide a dress and a hatchet!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Kat

Post by Kat »

That was very moving, thank you, and made quite a point.

I was thinking more on this last night, and to be fair, I must admit, I don't know where Lizzie slept Thursday night or Friday night, so I don't want to leave a wrong impression. But, if she slept alone in her own room, in her own bed, she would still have the lounge under her control. When it came time that Alice was too scared to sleep in the elder Borden's bedroom, and Emma would have offered her her room, I would think Emma would then volunteer to sleep on the lounge. It would be at that point that Lizzie would have taken to the lounge, which doesn't sound like something she would do out of altruism, but rather self-serving. :-?

Just curious now about longer term sleeping arrangements:
We know Morse no longer slept in the guest room, and he had gone back to sleeping in the little room in the attic that used to be his. But why didn't he take Andrew's room? Or after Bridget left, take her room? I believe he stayed until December, so where did he sleep after Lizzie was jailed? And did the new housekeeper sleep in?
I guess I will look around, and hopefully return with some answers. :scratch:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:20 am I was thinking more on this last night, and to be fair, I must admit, I don't know where Lizzie slept Thursday night or Friday night, so I don't want to leave a wrong impression. But, if she slept alone in her own room, in her own bed, she would still have the lounge under her control. When it came time that Alice was too scared to sleep in the elder Borden's bedroom, and Emma would have offered her her room, I would think Emma would then volunteer to sleep on the lounge. It would be at that point that Lizzie would have taken to the lounge, which doesn't sound like something she would do out of altruism, but rather self-serving. :-? ….
I think your finding, in Jennings’ book, that Lizzie slept at least one night on that lounge shows your detective skills! You had pointed out that she over-stayed on that lounge, perceived she might be hiding the hatchet or dress/shoes/stockings within in it, and—bingo!—now evidence that she slept there, too. I share your doubts about Lizzie’s altruism (though she was sometimes showily courteous to display her “lady” status). I think you may be onto something, Kat; after all, why didn’t Lizzie just take Alice’s place and sleep in the elder Bordens’ room? We can’t believe she was scared to, knowing she sashayed down to the cellar alone. Once again, you have made me think!
Last edited by Reasonwhy on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I didn't think of that. In fact, none of the ladies took advantage of the Elder Bordens bedroom, after Saturday, that we know of...and didn't Lizzie lock (or hook) the connecting door again?
I wonder which room Emma took between Lizzie's arrest and release in June 1893?

Kat (from 1973) time traveling to Lizzie's lounge at Second Street- invited for a sleepover :sleeping:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

What a cool picture! Okay, spill—where are you here, and is that a photo of Lizzie on the dresser? Gorgeous dresser. And look at you—beautiful.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

And I think I remember reading that Emma slept in the elders’ room, and Morse in the guest room on the 3rd floor in the northeast corner. Of course, can’t think where I read this.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Reasonwhy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:41 pm What a cool picture! Okay, spill—where are you here, and is that a photo of Lizzie on the dresser? Gorgeous dresser. And look at you—beautiful.
I chose that pic of me when Photoshopping myself into Lizzie's bedroom, because I had my hair up in a bun on my head and was wearing spectacles at the time. In fact, they were antique glasses that I found at Morgan Memorial (Goodwill) in Boston...c. 1920, white gold.
So that's me at Second Street in her room on her (reproduction) lounge, thru the magic of photoshop, 2003.
My first visit in person was 2004. And yes,at the time her room was decorated with her picture.
I thought you would like it. Wish you could be there!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Reasonwhy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:45 pm And I think I remember reading that Emma slept in the elders’ room, and Morse in the guest room on the 3rd floor in the northeast corner. Of course, can’t think where I read this.
Do you have a hint where you might have read it? An author? A news account? Testimony?
:?: