Lizzie is Everywhere

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Reasonwhy

Lizzie is Everywhere

Post by Reasonwhy »

So, Kat has been asking in the thread “Other Interests” in the forum “Stay to Tea” what we are reading. (As Kat says, “Isn’t it lovely in ‘Stay to Tea’?” It is, and I hope folks will come visit there.)

I told her for a change of pace from Lizzie, I was reading Laura, by Vera Caspary. (Fun book with clever writing—anybody seen the old movie of it, starring Gene Tierney?)
Anyway, so much for a change of pace: there was Lizzie! (pp. 142-3):

“‘Please, Waldo,’ I begged. ‘Please tell me. Do you believe me guilty, too?’….’Do you think I’d condemn you for it, Laura? Or even blame you? On the contrary, I adore you as I’ve never adored you before. You shall be my heroine, Laura, my greatest creation; millions will read about you, will love you. I’ll make you greater…than Lizzie Borden.
…I adore you for it. I see before me a great woman. We live in an unreal, a castrate world… Among us, there are few souls strong enough for violence. Violence—violence gives connection to a passion….Laura, you are a violent, living, bloodthirsty woman.’”

Well, now. There’s a point of view. What does anybody think of them apples?
Kat

Re: Lizzie is Everywhere

Post by Kat »

Wow! What a coincidence! Did you know there was a link already when you chose the book? (And is that the movie with Vincent Price?)
If so, I can hear the music!
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

No, I had no idea. 🤷‍♀️ And yes, a young Vincent Price plays a prominent role.
Kat

Post by Kat »

In the movie I remember the shotgun in the long case clock! Spoiler alert!
And the music was haunting!
That's a weird coincidence Lizzie was mentioned in your book!
I can't quite find passion in Lizzie, but the jury's still out... :wink:
Kat

Lizzie is Everywhere

Post by Kat »

I love this essay by our Fall River Lad, Mark Amarantes. When I first read your topic title, Reasonwhy, I thought of this and you might like it! From The Hatchet:

https://lizzieandrewborden.com/HatchetO ... gland.html