To all newcomers welcome !

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Steve887788

To all newcomers welcome !

Post by Steve887788 »

HI
Last edited by Steve887788 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:birthdaysmile:
Goldenstatebear

Re: To all newcomers welcome !

Post by Goldenstatebear »

Thank you!
Kat

Post by Kat »

University of California, Berkley? Are you a fan of CAL, football? If so, I just watched that game Saturday and YAY! :cheers:
But if not, still, welcome :cat:
Steve887788

Post by Steve887788 »

Goldenstatebear

Hi, Kat: sorry, I’m just a native Southern California gal (who doesn’t follow USC, UCLA, or even the UC IRVINE Anteaters). HA!
And thank you for your greeting!
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Welcome, Goldenstatebear! Happy to have you join us. Kat suggested a good question for newcomers: What first interested you in the case? Would love to know your thoughts on this or whatever you may wish to contribute :)
Goldenstatebear

Hello, Reasonwhy! During this time of Covid, I have found that Lizzie Borden and the Borden murders are interesting mysteries to ponder.

It probably won’t be solved, but I sure wish the Robinson papers would be released by the law firm. And of course I remember watching the first run of the Elizabeth Montgomery TV movie.

I have been reviewing the forum threads for about three months and they make excellent readings. Everyone has their well-thought-out premises and positions, and I find the excerpts of testimony fascinating.

Please don’t think that I make light of the murders. They were horrific and cruel. It’s unimaginable who could have done it. And I see that many posters have made up their minds or suspect that it was Lizzie Borden.

I don’t know whether I will have the courage to respond to any of the other threads, but when I saw Steve887788’s welcome, I could not resist making a post and to tell you the basis of my late-in-life interest in this tragedy.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Interesting that you have been reading for about three months—that’s about how long I’ve been actively posting. Please don’t hesitate to express opinions or ask questions. Sincere interest in learning more and respect for others is all you need to find posters responsive here, I have found :) I wish I had become active long ago. And you needn’t have read everything to have interesting points of view!

I, too, enjoyed the Elizabeth Montgomery movie, and still think it gets many things psychologically right, though there are some factual flaws. None of us actively posting knows it all—this is a mystery to everyone. Keep that in mind. Looking forward to your next post. I’ll try to encourage you by asking another question: What most intrigued you about Lizzie as E. Montgomery played her? I am curious.
Goldenstatebear

Hello! I always held the movie as just a drama but the inquest and trial testimony was well done. Elizabeth Montgomery gave a very good, reserved performance, but the scene where the four of them were in the parlor and Lizzie exploded in anger at Abby, that’s pure fiction but it sure was well done. The whole cast was excellent. So the movie is like a jumping off point for me.

One thing that comes across in the movie - at least for me - is the feeling of suffocation. I know a lot of people say that the Second Street house wasn’t small but I always felt that it was, and the movie, intentionally, brings across for me a feeling of suffocation and being in cramped quarters in an unhappy and futile situation. Perhaps that’s how Lizzie Borden felt.
Steve887788

Post by Steve887788 »

I don’t know whether I will have the courage to respond to any of the other threads, but when I saw Steve887788’s welcome, I could not resist making a post and to tell you the basis of my late-in-life interest in this tragedy.
This forum has some good pieces of information.
Last edited by Steve887788 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve887788

Post by Steve887788 »

If there was anybody that would be the perfect actress to play the role. of Lizzie B. - It definitely would be Kathy Bates
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Goldenstatebear wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:50 am Hello! I always held the movie as just a drama but the inquest and trial testimony was well done. Elizabeth Montgomery gave a very good, reserved performance, but the scene where the four of them were in the parlor and Lizzie exploded in anger at Abby, that’s pure fiction but it sure was well done. The whole cast was excellent. So the movie is like a jumping off point for me.

One thing that comes across in the movie - at least for me - is the feeling of suffocation. I know a lot of people say that the Second Street house wasn’t small but I always felt that it was, and the movie, intentionally, brings across for me a feeling of suffocation and being in cramped quarters in an unhappy and futile situation. Perhaps that’s how Lizzie Borden felt.
Yes, Lizzie's anger in that parlor scene rang true to me, too! Though I think Abby was portrayed as far meaner than she comes across in the testimony. I see her as more submissive and placating. Did you like the other parlor scene, also, where Lizzie is told she is suspected? I felt that was probably just about how those emotions were actually played out. I agree, the suffocation, unhappiness, and futility did come across in the stage sets; subtle observation!

I know what you mean about a taking-off point: Lizzie is portrayed as confused, possibly mentally backward, immature. I think that's what most intrigued me as a young teen. Who was this strange, tortured and torturing woman? E. Montgomery and the writers successfully showed Lizzie as complex and mysterious, I feel.

Thanks for responding to my question, Golden! Next post is in your court :)
Goldenstatebear

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that, yes, Abby Borden was not that person portrayed in the movie. But that actress sure was good and she played the part to the hilt.

Abby Borden is the tragic figure in this whole mess; i’m afraid she may have gotten a look at her murderer and she didn’t even have time to speak or raise a hand.

Thank you, Reasonwhy, for the exchange. I do see your posts in other threads and I may make a comment in future. The current thread on the Prussic acid sure is lively and has a lot of information in it. So we may meet again!
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

:grin: I hope so, Golden.