Lizzie's dress - Sawyer comments

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

Re: Lizzie's dress - Sawyer comments

Post by camgarsky4 »

Thanks for doing the conversation analysis....sounds exactly like Kat's thinking. I'll vote she was recalling what Bridget said!!

Possum - what do you think?
PossumPie

Post by PossumPie »

I don't have the book yet, but I concede that it seem that Bridget was near-sighted.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Now get back to studying!!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks you guys for stopping and taking the time to re-read, making a goal of understanding.

I did ask Stef today and she said yes about how I read it, and so far, we are on the same page. Much appreciated. "I don't have to be right; I only need to be understood." That is my motto.

Now, in the previous post I mentioned 3rd hand transcription and interpretation. I had read the Preface, and had previously spoken to Stefani about the procedure used to create this document we are perusing. She said Waring (the grandson of Jennings) had worked on these notes for a while, then died, and journals were donated. I assumed that meant the interpretive copy was then taken up by the FRHS and proceeded from there.

Today I asked her specifically about the process: she stated that Waring was not involved, and so this is the first original work of research by the FRHS, with Stef collaboration in editing and contributing, and she was also consulted where interpretation or handwriting was questionable.
So, it is not 3rd hand at all.
I will edit my previous post to reflect this new understanding of the process.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Reasonwhy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:22 pm New inquiry into Sawyer needed! One question: Did he have a previously existing friendship with Phillips? And another: what was his reputation for reliability/honesty in the neighborhood? As a decorative painter, he must have had acute visual skills, too.
No doubt, Sawyer was known in the community and quite possibly the police for his gallant and courageous Civil War service (see Glossary A). He was not some bloke who happened to be chosen for his duty to stand guard. He was an ex-military man, and forty-nine years old at the time of the murders.

When reading obituaries of some of these lesser known individuals, the ones who served in the war are most always praised by the newspaper and referred to as "known for his service," etc. Sawyer had wanted to be a portrait painter. When I learned this, I thought I would love to own one of his paintings, should any still exist. That would be a find!
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Yes, now that I have my book I see him in the biographies. What a helpful feature to have included. He does seem to come across as dutiful and courageous in guarding that Borden door for over six hours, when in fear that the murderer might still be about, shown by his locking the door to the cellar.

I also notice that his comments in the Journals show detailed observation and perception of objects, peoples’ movements, and their mental states. He also notes when he is not sure. These are signs of good reliability in a witness, so I would judge we should consider his comments as such. Kat and I were wondering why he has not figured more into theorists’ speculations about the case.

Thanks for adding the info., Stefani. Love it when you weigh in! You and your sister have impressed me so much with your scholarship and writing on this case.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I don't normally post because, for some strange reason, when I do, the conversation usually stops. I hope it doesn't this time.

The case biographies are extensive and took almost as long to construct as the rest of the book. I hope people will find them useful.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Stefani, currently we have a small, but mighty group of posters (including your sis). I suspect you'll find we embrace and solicit your thoughts.

The Jennings Journal provides a plethora of new thought on known issues and introduces new possibilities. I'm struggling to even know how to begin to digest and process all the information. I try to read the book sequentially, but invariably end up jumping around in the book.

That said, the case biographies are fantastic and help bring these folks to life.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

While there are no smoking guns, as Michael Martins likes to say, the book is FULL of new tidbits and characters. I think it adds color to some of the things we already know, puts other incidents in context, and reshapes how we look at other things. It is an important contribution to the study of the case, but one must know a great deal already to enjoy it. I think, at least.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

PossumPie

Post by PossumPie »

Stefani wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:28 pm While there are no smoking guns, as Michael Martins likes to say, the book is FULL of new tidbits and characters. I think it adds color to some of the things we already know, puts other incidents in context, and reshapes how we look at other things. It is an important contribution to the study of the case, but one must know a great deal already to enjoy it. I think, at least.
As I mentioned somewhere before, The Borden murders are much like a Monet painting. Up close there are many colored dots that are confusing, stepping back, they become a recognizable picture...well, to some of us!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

And I think this is part of the reason the case becomes addictive. It has so many odd details, that as you learn them, you feel compelled to fit them in to the (always?) incomplete picture. The case is strange; its draw is strange.