Curtis Irish Pierce

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

KGDevil

Curtis Irish Pierce

Post by KGDevil »

Aaron Pierce was born in Rehoboth, Massachusetts on September 11, 1810. Aaron married Emily Brown, born February 20, 1826 in North Stonington, Connecticut, on April 14, 1845. The couple was married in Westerly, Rhode Island. According to census records and directories Aaron was a carpenter by trade. The couple had one child, Curtis Irish Pierce, born May 18, 1850 in Westerly. Emily (Brown) Pierce died four years later on July 6, 1854. Aaron remarried on April 16, 1855 to Francis E. Bailey. Aaron and Francis had one daughter named Cannie Belle Pierce who was born on March 22, 1862, also in Westerly.

Cannie married Charles H. Ledward in 1883. The Ledward family resided in Westerly where Charles died in 1924. Cannie is listed in the Civil War pension rolls as his widow. She died November 6, 1946 in New London, Connecticut at the home of her daughter Madeline Ledward Colby.

Curtis I. Pierce resided in Westerly until the 1880 census. Then he’s found boarding in the home of an elderly widow named Christina (Little) Francis in Westport, Massachusetts. Christina’s husband, Capt. Hiram Francis, had died from typhoid fever in July of 1869. It was during this time that Curtis was the minister of the First Christian Church at the head of Westport. He was still boarding with Widow Francis in the 1900 census. Reverend Pierce became quite close the widow. Christina had her will drawn up on February 7, 1900. She left everything to Curtis I. Pierce in “recognition of his fidelity to me and my interests by more than 25 years of faithful service”. She disinherited any and all living family in favor of Curtis getting it all. Christina died October 1, 1901. A notice appeared in the Fall River Daily Evening News on October 2, 1901 stating Christina had sold the good Reverend "4 ½ acres of land and buildings at the head of Westport". He was named the executor of her will.

By the time of the 1910 census Curtis somehow has ended up residing in Mountain Home, Arkansas. He seems to have been in the pursuit of gold. In 1920 he’s in living in Union, Arkansas. By the time of the 1925 Rhode Island State census Curtis has moved back to Westerly to live with his sister Cannie at 10 Spruce Street. I was unable to find Curtis in the 1930 census. But, he’s found in the 1935 Rhode Island State census living at 807 Broad Street Providence, Rhode Island. He remains there until his death on April 19, 1940.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. - Arthur Conan Doyle
KGDevil

Re: Curtis Irish Pierce

Post by KGDevil »

I will try to share as much information that I found as I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. - Arthur Conan Doyle
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

The record of Christina's death shows that her parents were Nicholas Little and Mary Macomber.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Curtis somehow arrives in Arkansas and his brother in law dies in 1924.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Census records and the listing for Curtis's death in the City Directory.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Reverend Curtis Pierce.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

KGDevil -- all I can say is wow and great research. I've read thru once and getting ready for round 2.

Would Christine's will or estate be public record? Besides buying the 4 acres (likely at a nice price), wondering if Curtis benefitted substantially from Christine's estate dispersal.

Living with the Widow Francis for >25 years is intriguing. His interaction with Lizzie would have occurred in the late 1880's and then again with his letter correspondence in 1892.

Yellville/Mountain Home, Arkansas is in the depths of the Ozarks. In the early 20th century it would have been VERY rural and 'unpolished'. So Mr. Pierce couldn't have been a wimp. Especially if he got into mining. What an interesting character.

Side note, a Macomber rented store space at the AJB Building from Andrew. He is mentioned in Jennings Journals.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

These are some other articles that appeared in the Fall River Daily Evening News in which Curtis described what it's like in Mountain Home, Arkansa. He had purchased a real estate business and 600 acres of farm and timberland. There were also mentions in other articles of Curtis believing there is gold to be found there in Arkansas which lead me to believe he was interested in looking for it. Then just a few bits and other bobs that I found in the newspapers. He appeared in the Daily News quite frequently.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

camgarsky4 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:05 pm KGDevil -- all I can say is wow and great research. I've read thru once and getting ready for round 2.

Would Christine's will or estate be public record? Besides buying the 4 acres (likely at a nice price), wondering if Curtis benefitted substantially from Christine's estate dispersal.

Living with the Widow Francis for >25 years is intriguing. His interaction with Lizzie would have occurred in the late 1880's and then again with his letter correspondence in 1892.

Yellville/Mountain Home, Arkansas is in the depths of the Ozarks. In the early 20th century it would have been VERY rural and 'unpolished'. So Mr. Pierce couldn't have been a wimp. Especially if he got into mining. What an interesting character.

Side note, a Macomber rented store space at the AJB Building from Andrew. He is mentioned in Jennings Journals.
I posted most of what I found concerning her death, the will, and his involvement in her estate. I will try to find out more about exactly how much he might have inherited. But, I'm thinking if he was able to buy a real estate business and 600 acres he may have gotten a tidy little sum.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Agree, Widow Francis was likely the source of capital to enable the acreage and business purchases.

I googled for any late 19th century murders involving the word "Hoxie". Didn't find anything. You seem to have a great means to research newspapers.....any ideas on what the Hoxie Murder trial in 1887 was about? Never know where we can find a connection to the Borden case.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

camgarsky4 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:43 pm Agree, Widow Francis was likely the source of capital to enable the acreage and business purchases.

I googled for any late 19th century murders involving the word "Hoxie". Didn't find anything. You seem to have a great means to research newspapers.....any ideas on what the Hoxie Murder trial in 1887 was about? Never know where we can find a connection to the Borden case.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Boy, those two were quite the couple.
Kat

Post by Kat »

You should be paid for this kind of research, KG! A professional consultant who really knows their business, and generous . I'm serious.⭐️
What's driving me crazy is that in Rebello's index the person's name is Curtis I. Pierce, but then the whole of page 14 in LB, P&P 1999, he is mentioned 8 times and all spelled PIECE. Apparently, it is all Medley, except Jennings wrote to the fellow. Witness Statements, pg 34, 35.
It was brave to go this far with an awkward spelling issue.
Are you yet appeased, camgarsky? Any insights from this in depth research?
(I'm jealous of this kind of ability- pretty cool😎)
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

KG has been feeding an information addiction and I love it! Like a kid in a candy shop.

I am intrigued by the Westport visit Lizzie and the Poole's made. That also happened to be where Curtis resided at the time. Then within a month, he is writing Lizzie post-murder letters offering his emotional support (or whatever).

Layer that in with the Widow Francis and his oddly (to me anyway) very lengthy lodging at her home which resulted with all of Christine's family being disinherited and Curtis then controlling whatever there was to control. Blend that in with an adventure based personality (based on his Arkansas episode) and we have a very fascinating individual. Just a guess, but thinking he preferred living a lifestyle that a ministers wages wouldn't support. Gold mining, real estate, estate control.....might he have also have been involved in other money raising schemes?

I suspect KG has given us all there is to have on our much less mysterious Mr. Pierce (aka Piece).
KGDevil....I really can't thank you enough and I wish I knew the source of your research skills! Green w/ envy, but very appreciative.
KGDevil

Post by KGDevil »

Kat wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:35 am You should be paid for this kind of research, KG! A professional consultant who really knows their business, and generous . I'm serious.⭐️
What's driving me crazy is that in Rebello's index the person's name is Curtis I. Pierce, but then the whole of page 14 in LB, P&P 1999, he is mentioned 8 times and all spelled PIECE. Apparently, it is all Medley, except Jennings wrote to the fellow. Witness Statements, pg 34, 35.
It was brave to go this far with an awkward spelling issue.
Are you yet appeased, camgarsky? Any insights from this in depth research?
(I'm jealous of this kind of ability- pretty cool😎)
Thanks, Kat. I actually really enjoy researching things. I enjoy connecting the dots and finding information. I can get totally lost in it. I like finding the personal stories the most because it brings the people to life and makes them seem less like characters in a story.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, camgarsky is your other brother, and you are feeding an insatiable beast! He admits it too! Shameless, he is😇
When he asks for more, don't say I didn't warn you!🎓
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Sorry folks, I can't seem to let go of Mr. Pierce.

Couple of interesting notes from the info KG has provided.

Curtis bought 4.5 acres + buildings from Christine Francis slightly before Oct 2 (notice published in paper that date).
Mrs. Francis died Oct 1 of "cerebral apoplexy". Below is what I found via google. Would love Possum's view of this term.

Google search:
"Cerebral apoplexy" is a confusing term to even the most experienced physician and an enigma to the conscientious student. The author defines it as "a sudden disease caused by spontaneous, endogenic, non-inflammatory circulatory disturbances involving cerebral blood vessels."

Since it involved the brain, guessing this was something that was sudden and even though Christine was 80 years old, perhaps her passing was unexpected. That would mean it was another coincidence in the world of New England that he bought the property from her mere days before her demise. Without knowing the transaction details, presumably he had to actually pay for the property.

By the way, the Christine Francis's death register includes a few Tripp's.
Lastly, Christine changed her Will so Curtis was the sole benefactor 1 1/2 years before her death.