The Visit to New Bedford and Fairhaven

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

The Visit to New Bedford and Fairhaven

Post by camgarsky4 »

Below is the timeline that Mrs. Poole gave Andrew Jennings per the Jennings Journals Pg. 251 for Lizzie's visit to her home in New Bedford days before the murders. This is not copied verbatim....I edited and shortened to callout the key information. If this specific topic is of interest to anyone, I encourage you to get a copy of the Journals.....well worth the investment.

Thursday Morning - Lizzie arrived in New Bedford.
Thursday Afternoon - Group went shopping downtown. Stores shopped include Whiting's (ladies clothing), Moynans (ladies clothing) and
Bliss & Nye (crockery). Mrs. Poole saw a dress (Whiting's) and cup & saucer set (Bliss & Nye) for her daughter. Got home as it was getting dark.
Thursday Evening - Emma and a friend stopped by the Poole home.
Friday - Lizzie did not go out all day. Lizzie filled doctor prescribed compound (homemade meds) for Carrie, who was sick.
Saturday Morning - Lizzie went out shopping alone downtown.
Saturday Afternoon - Poole & Lizzie went to Fairhaven and Mrs. Poole took 'little boy with me". "She (lizzie) wasn't out of my sight as we walked - told me about getting Frank's pills"
Sunday - Lizzie did not go out all day.
Monday - Lizzie did not go out all day. Mrs. Poole left the house to 'rent' a horse & buggy to visit Westport the next day.
Tuesday - Lizzie, Mrs. Poole and Carrie visited August Tripp (Mrs. Poole's daughter & Lizzie's childhood friend) in Westport. Returned to New Bedford and dropped Lizzie off at the train station between 5:30-5:45 to return to Fall River.

Nothing here strictly contradicts what Medley reported in his 'witness statement' from Mrs. Poole. But certainly far more details. I've highlighted in red what seem like new revelations to Bordenites. Visiting Fairhaven (and presumably Emma) isn't 100% new since Emma suggested she and Lizzie did connect in Fairhaven, but Lizzie said in the inquest that she did not visit Fairhaven.

I've tried to figure out who "Frank" is. Perhaps he is the little boy that Mrs. Poole mentions bringing to Fairhaven with them. Whatever the case, Lizzie 'got' his pills...I presume from a pharmacy. Perhaps this is additional ammo to prove that Lizzie did visit a couple apothecaries in New Borden (ex. Wrights and Church's stores).

Most fascinating is the call Thursday evening by Emma and 'a friend'. For conspiracy theorists, could the friend have been Morse?
camgarsky4

Re: The Visit to New Bedford and Fairhaven

Post by camgarsky4 »

Quick update....KG Devil, researcher extraordinaire, tried to figure out who "Frank" was that Mrs. Poole references. No luck.

But her comment about Lizzie "getting Frank's pills" certainly adds some muscle to the deduction that Lizzie visited at least a couple apothecaries that Saturday morning in New Bedford...which is the foundation for the theory that she tried to procure prussic acid during the NB visit.