Pears

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

CagneyBT

Pears

Post by CagneyBT »

I thought this news snippet interesting, considering how pears have become rather iconic in the story of Lizzie Borden. :smile:

Charles Trafton was the prior owner of 92 Second St. (formerly 66 Second St.)

Fall River Daily Evening News, Sept. 24, 1859

"Prolific Pear Tree— Mr. Charles Trafton, 66 Second, has a Bartlett pear tree from which he picked a few days ago 570 pears. Adding to these the number left upon the tree at the time, and some windfalls, and we have about 650 pears as the product of this tree the present season— The tree has always been a good bearer."
mbhenty

Re: Pears

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

What a great find. Good old Charles. 66 Second Street. The house that Charles Trafton built.

That is one successful pear tree.

The average pear tree yields around 250 to 400 pears in one season. Very large pear trees can yield upwards of 5 to 600 pears, or more.

Examining the date Mr. Trafton had his bounty, we must consider that by the time of the murders the old pear tree was at least 37 to 40 years old. The date on the paper was 33 years before the murder. And it takes 4 to 8 years for a mature tree to produce that much fruit. (more like 8 to 10) And only if it is pruned and cared for as it ages. By the time Morse was gathering them, early August, they were just right for picking. Pear do not ripen on the tree and must be picked while still green and hard. Also the tree would not be yielding as much fruit. Though some Bartlett Pear Trees are known to live upwards of 80 years.

Even so, It would be possible that Trafton's Bartlett pear tree, if still around, could have still been bearing fruit right into the the 1920s if cared for. Pear trees have very long life spans for a fruit tree.

Once again, great find BT.

Below is the poem, By the Naked Pear Tree, taken from the play by the same name. With compliments from the author.

I watched tears of fruit
Swing by the skin
How easy life ends
With no forgiveness of sin
Ripe without pigment
With life’s sweetness shaved thin.

I took my seat by the barn
My back rubbed the wall
Bleeding chips of red paint
On my shoulders they fall
With a fury and wrath
I can no longer forestall.

Pears tumbled to earth
And peppered the ground
Nineteen I did count
With laughter well found
While she fell on her face
Without making a sound.

On a hot August day
I waxed with disdain
Awaiting the scythe
Where ten pears remained
To rot on the vine
With my anguish and pain.

In a covet for life
I wish them to pay
Thus, pear after pear
Dropped where they lay
I brushed clean my shoulders
The last pear fell away
And by the naked pear tree
I no longer need stay.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Ditto MB's compliments! Another fantastic find.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Thanks, MB & Camgarsky!

I just learned a lot about pears...loved the poem, MB! 😊

Just found this snippet that is sort of related to the topic. It appeared in The Fall River Daily Herald on
Aug. 28,1891:

"Unless Supt. Thurston is watchful, the three shade trees on Second street, just below the residence of A. J. Borden, will be destroyed by the horses that are tied there by farmers and milk dealers."

Anthony Thurston was the Supt. Of Streets & Surveyor of Highways in Fall River. I wonder if Andrew made a complaint to the city about the possible damage to his property?